America's Cup: OMD E5 and 75-300

Started Sep 15, 2013 | Discussions
Calinature
Regular MemberPosts: 463
Like?
Sep 15, 2013

I made an expedition into the "city" (San Francisco) yesterday to try and capture the sailing races. I drove my car to the nearest Bart (Bay Area Rapid Transit), took the train to the Embarcadero Station, and then made a rather long walk to where the races were being held. Well, I am glad that I took the uM4/3 system and did not lug around my big DSLR system (E5 and big SHG lens, give me a break). Here are some photos taken from the shoreline, most of the boats were about a mile away, and I generally shot at 300 plus 2x digital converter (=1200 mm for FFs), all hand held. Given the distance, I am satisfied with the results, plus I had enough energy to walk back to the Bart Station.

BTW, most of the folks with cameras were Canakons, generally small to medium sized, and fitted with smallish zooms, so I don't think they were getting as close.

I am looking forward to the E1 which will be home to some of the wonderful SHG lenses, so maybe we are getting close to "one beautiful system" (not that there aren't others out there as well). Jeff

Fleabag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,299
Like?
Re: America's Cup: OMD E5 and 75-300
In reply to Calinature, Sep 15, 2013

Looks like they came out pretty good...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132
Like?

Nicely done, with very nice quality at this size. The 1200mm EFL shots of the cats against Alcatraz, and the tight bow shot of Emirates NZ are impressive!

I watched the first race in real time yesterday, and my heart damned near stopped with the near capsize of E-NZ! Which would probably have been "end of story" for them with wing damage or worse, and about the only way, it seems, for Oracle USA to win the cup as they will need nine wins vs. E-NZ's only needing three more.

PB

Calinature
Like?
In reply to Pete Berry, Sep 15, 2013

Thanks for looking. I missed the near flip of the Kiwi boat...the rock pier was in the way. It would have been nice to have captured that.

It's amazing that these boats travel at speeds close to 50 mph!

bidule5
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?

I like the 3 in front of Alcatraz.

Race 9 starting now.

yvan

bidule5's gear list:bidule5's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712Gear list
Like?
In reply to Calinature, Sep 16, 2013

Excellent photos and you really captured and conveyed the feeling of speed. It's amazing how fast these cats get going!

If I might offer one small comment ... some of the photos would look even nicer if the horizon were leveled in post processing. It's not usually distracting unless water is in the landscape. It would bump your photos from a 9.5 up to a 10 IMO.

Thanks for posting!

Jake

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,385Gear list
Like?

Very nice. I would love to be there, I'm a Kiwi and watching this on TV here every race day

Great shots, but you need to watch those horizon lines, rotate them.

All the best and great to see these shots.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,834Gear list
Like?

Technically there are some problems. Shutter speed seems too fast, and ISO as a consequence is too high. Stopping down to f/8 in the middle of the range when f/5.6 is perfectly good was unnecessary, as well as f/11 at 300mm. Due to long distance/haze, processing IMO would benefit from some extra contrast.

BTW, was it original 75-300 or 75-300 II?

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,921Gear list
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Sep 16, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

Technically there are some problems. Shutter speed seems too fast, and ISO as a consequence is too high. Stopping down to f/8 in the middle of the range when f/5.6 is perfectly good was unnecessary, as well as f/11 at 300mm. Due to long distance/haze, processing IMO would benefit from some extra contrast.

Well spotted. Good points. OP, next time perhaps try for F6.7 (the 75-300 should be almost exactly the same between f6.7 and f8), 1/1250 and keep ISO low and auto. These are the settings I use for birding, with pretty good results.

ISO 1000 should be fine usually, unless the subject is fairly small and fine details. I think these boats often qualify.

Other than that, great shots. Wish I could come and watch.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
peevee1
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 16, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

Well spotted. Good points. OP, next time perhaps try for F6.7 (the 75-300 should be almost exactly the same between f6.7 and f8), 1/1250 and keep ISO low and auto. These are the settings I use for birding, with pretty good results.

Actually, at 300mm stopping down a little to f/8 increases sharpness a bit, and with digital teleconverter (crop) there is not such thing as too much sharpness:

75-300 @300mm

Further stopping down though just degrades the picture, both due to diffraction and higher ISO.

ISO 1000 should be fine usually, unless the subject is fairly small and fine details. I think these boats often qualify.

We are talking about 2x tele sometimes here, meaning ISO1000 as bad as ISO4000 when using full frame when downscaled to the same size.

Thin_Ice
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?

I like the combination of the boats racing in front of Alcatraz and the zoomed in frontal view of the cat in the spray of the waves.

For smaller racing dinghies, i try the same: focus on the athlete, the lower part of the mast and the spray of the bow wave.  This emphasizes the speed.  I use the OMD and the 45mm and try to get real close with the coach boat - not an option at the AC.

The speeds at the AC72's are insane and the amount of money  involved is way over the top.  I prefer the normal one design dinghies and cats, that are already extremely fast and athletic to sail compared to a 40 ft Yacht.

Thin_Ice's gear list:Thin_Ice's gear list
Olympus E-420 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Calinature
Like?
What, water is horizontal?
In reply to BlueJakester, Sep 16, 2013

Good point!  Here's some straightened up. Thanks!

Calinature
Like?

This is the original 75-300. I thought that F8 would be a good compromise, with enough sharpness and dynamic range but emphasizing speed as I was hand holding and the boats were very, very far away?

Calinature
Like?
In reply to Thin_Ice, Sep 16, 2013

Yes, I see your point...very fast, very expensive...is this really sailing in the water or flying above it?

Calinature
Like?

So you think my settings (f8) were ok?

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,921Gear list
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Sep 17, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

Actually, at 300mm stopping down a little to f/8 increases sharpness a bit, and with digital teleconverter (crop) there is not such thing as too much sharpness:

75-300 @300mm

Further stopping down though just degrades the picture, both due to diffraction and higher ISO.

We are talking about 2x tele sometimes here, meaning ISO1000 as bad as ISO4000 when using full frame when downscaled to the same size.

Depends on lens variation I suspect. My copy has no discernible difference between f6.7 and f8.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
peevee1
Like?
In reply to Calinature, Sep 17, 2013

Calinature wrote:

This is the original 75-300. I thought that F8 would be a good compromise,

Yes, at 300mm it is the best on this lens. But at 150mm, f/5.6 is just as good and would let you keep ISO lower.

75-300 @150mm

I know, with variable-aperture zoom it is a hassle to keep aperture at what you want while zooming.

with enough sharpness and dynamic range but emphasizing speed as I was hand holding and the boats were very, very far away?

Hand-holding would usually keep the pictures reasonably sharp at 300mm with 2x at 1/1200 even without IBIS, probably 1/200 with Oly IBIS. I have seen you using 1/3200 and 1/4000 which seemed unnecessary excessive to me. Although I did not see the action so might be wrong, but usually the movement I can actually track in the viewfinder can be frozen even at 1/500s, except the extremities (which the boats lack). Just in case 1/1000 should be safe.

I hope my comments do not offend you in any way. I come to the forums to learn (equipment and techniques) and entertain myself, and assume others are too.

Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132
Like?
In reply to Thin_Ice, Sep 17, 2013

Thin_Ice wrote:

I like the combination of the boats racing in front of Alcatraz and the zoomed in frontal view of the cat in the spray of the waves.

For smaller racing dinghies, i try the same: focus on the athlete, the lower part of the mast and the spray of the bow wave. This emphasizes the speed. I use the OMD and the 45mm and try to get real close with the coach boat - not an option at the AC.

The speeds at the AC72's are insane and the amount of money involved is way over the top. I prefer the normal one design dinghies and cats, that are already extremely fast and athletic to sail compared to a 40 ft Yacht.

Here are my 8 and 14 year old grandsons planing on a close reach in their ancient, beat up Laser-II dinghy - a tight crop at 150mm with the P-L 14-150 3.5-5.6. In far northern CA lagoon. Sail trim looks pretty good!

PB

billbourd
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?

Would love to see how they would look with a little more contrast. All great action shots.

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Bruce Clarke
Senior MemberPosts: 2,559Gear list
Like?

Nice shots. I've been watching the superb TV coverage which we are getting on the BBC in the UK. Very clever software overlays showing wind and tide. Really brings it alive. Terrifying machines!

Bruce

-- hide signature --
 Bruce Clarke's gear list:Bruce Clarke's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads