New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)

Started 10 months ago | Polls
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to deleted-13120401, 10 months ago

hoosh wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Sorry guys. Just curious as to whether there is a signal from one brand, or the other, that is drowned out by the multitude from the other brand.

Need a poll as to whether or not to have any more of these polls. I vote 'yes, but no more polls about polls'.

People questioning this poll just don't see a full picture. Because in the upcoming weeks, as more user reports and tests of E-M1 appear, there will be multiple threads started by people demanding a forum split.

This poll is actually an attempt to stop threads like those and also other polls. So, whenever posters demand a split, they would be presented with this poll results, stating that only about 11% of users want to split.

The poll won't stop people from creating such threads (nothing will, really), but hopefully it will lower activity in these, so redundant threads won't contaminate recent post list for a long time.

Good intention, OP, thanks!

 micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,551
Like?
It didn't originate from here...
In reply to micksh6, 10 months ago

But from the 1022 Forum who has been bleeding to nothing, after Oly stopped dSLRs.

This is also the reason why they don't care about splitting Oly and Panny, despite the fact that people said no, over and over.

1022 thinks they are the cream of the world, so they would take the EM-1, but not the 'lesser' cameras: it would be below themselves.

I always believed 1041 to be a popular and democratic forum, and would rather have it stay so.

Am.

micksh6 wrote:

The poll won't stop people from creating such threads (nothing will, really), but hopefully it will lower activity in these, so redundant threads won't contaminate recent post list for a long time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

As of right now, that is 1 in 5, 1 in 7 or 1 in 15 people want a split, depending on what mix of gear you have.

I'd say that is a no.

 AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,327
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to AndyGM, 10 months ago

AndyGM wrote:

As of right now, that is 1 in 5, 1 in 7 or 1 in 15 people want a split, depending on what mix of gear you have.

I'd say that is a no.

Agreed.

We are all united in out disunity.

(And that makes it a fun forum)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,463Gear list
Like?
Thanks; I was just going to post the same thing. (nt)
In reply to jack Hoggard, 10 months ago

no text

 Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,327
Like?
Re: It didn't originate from here...
In reply to amalric, 10 months ago

amalric wrote:

But from the 1022 Forum who has been bleeding to nothing, after Oly stopped dSLRs.

This is also the reason why they don't care about splitting Oly and Panny, despite the fact that people said no, over and over.

1022 thinks they are the cream of the world, so they would take the EM-1, but not the 'lesser' cameras: it would be below themselves.

I always believed 1041 to be a popular and democratic forum, and would rather have it stay so.

Am.

micksh6 wrote:

The poll won't stop people from creating such threads (nothing will, really), but hopefully it will lower activity in these, so redundant threads won't contaminate recent post list for a long time.

I've seen a little bit of that over there. A few recommendations to split the M4/3s forum between OM-Ds and GH, and the Pens, GX, G cameras. I'm not worried about it as it is impossible to split the forum along those lines. You can't separate the M4/3s forum by camera style, or features because there's way too much overlap.

I think what will happen is the two forums will remain as is, and any posts there that are purely about M4/3s will be moved here. Posts that touch on 4/3s topics will remain there. Eventually, I suspect that the forums will be merged and we'll have "One Beautiful Forum".

Followed eventually by a resplit, because we're too rowdy and upset all the other forums on DPReview with our rambunctious behaviour.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SWSF14
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
No need to water it down
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

It's not what I'd call "high traffic" in it's current state

Would be pretty damn annoying to have to visit multiple forums to catch impressions and info about the same piece of equipment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SWSF14
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: No need to water it down
In reply to SWSF14, 10 months ago

And once you draw some borders, there will be WAR

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,341
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

Mjankor wrote:

Lol. Having carefully written the pol to make sure all the options were easy to understand and unambiguous, I then went and put my vote in the wrong option.

I win dumbarse of the week award.

Definitely:..You forgot...

☒ I am a FF fanboy that has a fetish for m43 but don't want to come out of the closet.

☒ I am a FF fanboy that spends more time in the m43 forum than in the FF Forums

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to LTZ470, 10 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Lol. Having carefully written the pol to make sure all the options were easy to understand and unambiguous, I then went and put my vote in the wrong option.

I win dumbarse of the week award.

Definitely:..You forgot...

☒ I am a FF fanboy that has a fetish for m43 but don't want to come out of the closet.

☒ I am a FF fanboy that spends more time in the m43 forum than in the FF Forums

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

LOL I'm sure Great Bustard was trying to figure out how to vote . . . #2 would be it!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,525Gear list
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to deleted-13120401, 10 months ago

hoosh wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

Sorry guys. Just curious as to whether there is a signal from one brand, or the other, that is drowned out by the multitude from the other brand.

Need a poll as to whether or not to have any more of these polls. I vote 'yes, but no more polls about polls'.

Really. Let's have a Poll on Polls.

-- hide signature --

Phil

 PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mr.NoFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 2,095Gear list
Like?
i agree Re: E-PM/E-PL/GF/G and forum for OMD/GH/GX
In reply to ThePhilips, 10 months ago

ThePhilips wrote:

Since I think that 1041 is overcrowded, I think the simplest way to solve the problem is to simply the discussions by the already established pattern from Canon and Nikon forums. In other words by the gear level: forum for E-PM/E-PL/GF/G and forum for OMD/GH/GX (and one m43 general).

i agree

 Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Samsung HZ50W Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575Gear list
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

How many of these are we going to have.

 jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,938
Like?
Re: Missing an option
In reply to SHood, 10 months ago

SHood wrote:

How about splitting bodies and lenses into separate forums.  No brand separation is needed.  The lens forum could even include all of the 4/3 lens with the introduction of the E-M1.  This is long overdue.

-- hide signature --

I'd like something similar, a lens forum and two camera forum (fora?): basic and advanced bodies. I don't see the value of splitting by brands, as the whole Oly body-Panny lens/Panny body/Oly lens thing makes such a distinction moot.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

Hey, I heard the Canon/Nikon forums are planning a vote to split this into two forums:  One that thinks there is a future for M43, and one that thinks we are all doomed.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

 n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

Splitting is logical.  Olympus was a mainline 35mm brand like Canon, Minolta and Nikon. Panasonic made it's reputation competing with Sony and Canon with Video cameras as well as manufacturing other quality electronics.  They have two distinct followings. The only common thread is the m43 sensor size.

Panasonic will never gain respect from some segments  of the Olympus population.  It's a bit like the sophomoric  comments a cruise photographer made to me as I debarked from the Eclipse. "My camera is better than your camera".   my retort was: " that's true. However, my results will be consistently better because I've been shooting for sixty years".

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

 Mike C's gear list:Mike C's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 DxO Optics Pro Standard +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,327
Like?
Re: New Forum Split Poll (Per brand opinions)
In reply to Mike C, 10 months ago

Mike C wrote:

Splitting is logical. Olympus was a mainline 35mm brand like Canon, Minolta and Nikon. Panasonic made it's reputation competing with Sony and Canon with Video cameras as well as manufacturing other quality electronics. They have two distinct followings. The only common thread is the m43 sensor size.

Panasonic will never gain respect from some segments of the Olympus population. It's a bit like the sophomoric comments a cruise photographer made to me as I debarked from the Eclipse. "My camera is better than your camera". my retort was: " that's true. However, my results will be consistently better because I've been shooting for sixty years".

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

***Points at the poll.

No.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?
Re: Subsets and Substance ...
In reply to Martin.au, 10 months ago

Ben's, and now your, "poll results" indicate that around 2 out of 3 participants do not desire a "forum split". The good part is that your efforts have saved DPReview management from the tedious duty of having to (yet again in 2013) revisit the possibility of such demonstrably unpopular proposals.

The substance of a forum arises not out of the brand-badging of widgets, but out of the intelligence, insight behind, and the meaningfulness of, published contributions. That which seems a good candidate for ignoring would likely not be enhanced by mere division into sub-sets.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,464Gear list
Like?
Re: Subsets and Substance ...
In reply to Detail Man, 10 months ago

Detail Man wrote:

Ben's, and now your, "poll results" indicate that around 2 out of 3 participants do not desire a "forum split". The good part is that your efforts have saved DPReview management from the tedious duty of having to (yet again in 2013) revisit the possibility of such demonstrably unpopular proposals.

The substance of a forum arises not out of the brand-badging of widgets, but out of the intelligence, insight behind, and the meaningfulness of, published contributions. That which seems a good candidate for ignoring would likely not be enhanced by mere division into sub-sets.

The substance of M43 forum is going to be a mess soon because of introduction of E-M1. This camera inevitably brings most, if not all, Oly SLR folks here with all high grade lenses, while Panasonic will stay pure M43.

That is why (IMHO of cause) the split is matter of time only

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?
Re: Subsets and Substance ...
In reply to s_grins, 10 months ago

s_grins wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Ben's, and now your, "poll results" indicate that around 2 out of 3 participants do not desire a "forum split". The good part is that your efforts have saved DPReview management from the tedious duty of having to (yet again in 2013) revisit the possibility of such demonstrably unpopular proposals.

The substance of a forum arises not out of the brand-badging of widgets, but out of the intelligence, insight behind, and the meaningfulness of, published contributions. That which seems a good candidate for ignoring would likely not be enhanced by mere division into sub-sets.

The substance of M43 forum is going to be a mess soon because of introduction of E-M1. This camera inevitably brings most, if not all, Oly SLR folks here with all high grade lenses, ...

From what I've been reading lately, (they) are experiencing similar fears of "forum invasion" ...

... while Panasonic will stay pure M43.

Where can I get my Panasony "Purity Ring" ?

That is why (IMHO of cause) the split is matter of time only

Nothing divided by any number still equals nothing.

Looking for equilibrium...

Between what and what else ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads