DMC-FZ70 Lens Hood - Semi Homemade

Started Sep 14, 2013 | Discussions
Hiker Dood
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
DMC-FZ70 Lens Hood - Semi Homemade
Sep 14, 2013

I recently got my paws on an FZ70 but it doesn't come with a lens hood.  It's not even offered as an accessory, probably because at 20 mm zoom almost any hood will vignette.  Being the stubborn cuss that I am I decided to see what I could do and this is what I came up with.

Parts:

1 Sunpak CF-7033-UV 55 mm UV filter

1 Bower HRW55 wide angle lens hood

Glue - I like Loctite Repair Extreme All Temprature

Steps: remove the rubber lens hood from the metal ring that threads onto the lend.  It's too deep and will cause vignetting (trust me, I tried it).  Carefully fit the rubber hood onto the Sunpak UV filter.  Be careful to position it so that it doesn't vignette.  Apply a thin bead of glue using a toothpick or end of a paper clip both inside and outside of where the hood meets the filter.  Position it on the camera and make sure it doesn't vignette.  Carefully remove it and let the glue set completely.  And you have this.  I also used a piece of EZPass Velcro to secure the lens cap when not in use.  Works great and doesn't wear out.

Ta-daaaaaaaa!

-- hide signature --

Jeff
The Hiker Dood

Hiker Dood's gear list:Hiker Dood's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,887Gear list
Like?
Re: DMC-FZ70 Lens Hood - Semi Homemade
In reply to Hiker Dood, Sep 15, 2013

Where there's a way Jeff. It looks to me like you did a great job. I'm also amazed that the FZ70 didn't come with a lens hood, all the other FZ series cameras had one.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robiro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,772
Like?
Did you keep UV glass?

Did you keep the UV glass inside the filter ring? Or did you remove it?

Hiker Dood
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Sep 15, 2013

Thanks.  I took it for a test run yesterday in Norvin Green State Forest and it seemed to work pretty well.  I've included a sample below.

The Blue Mine in Norvin Green State Forest, Ringwood NJ.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
The Hiker Dood

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 +2 more
Hiker Dood
Like?
Re: Did you keep UV glass?
In reply to Robiro, Sep 15, 2013

I kept it since I do a lot of hiking with my camera and I wanted a bit of protection for the lens.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
The Hiker Dood

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,993Gear list
Like?

I'm surprised the FZ70 comes with no hood. Apparently they have done all they can to keep the price point low, not a pleasing trend.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Robiro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,772
Like?

Hiker Dood wrote:

I kept it since I do a lot of hiking with my camera and I wanted a bit of protection for the lens.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
The Hiker Dood

Try making comparison shots at full zoom on a pixel level. With and without the UV glass. At these magnifications ANY glass put in front of such lens could be causing troubles. I would definitely check this before having a UV filter constantly on. You could be losing resolution.

Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,046Gear list
Like?

Nice workaround. Thanks for sharing the photo and instructions. Sounds like the lens hood was left off as another way to save a few cents, but to tell the truth, I've got them for all of my cameras and lenses and seldom use them anymore. They can serve a good purpose, though, and your idea is well thought out. I used the collapseable rubber hoods that screw on with my older film lenses, but also have collection of plastic ones with the newer lenses and they sit in the bag.

I got to thinking about your post some more and went to B&H's website. The FZ70 has a 55mm filter size and I'm wondering if this rubber hood wouldn't fit it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11152-REG/B_W_65069603_55mm_Screw_In_Folding_Rubber.html

This one above, however, is more for normal or short zoom lenses. This one says it's for wide angle:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/70740-REG/General_Brand_NP11155_55mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Wide.html

Other choices in the 55mm range:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Size_55mm&ci=2226&N=4077634523+4294957251

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,046Gear list
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 15, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

I'm surprised the FZ70 comes with no hood. Apparently they have done all they can to keep the price point low, not a pleasing trend.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Phil, I guess Panasonic has decided it's survival of the thriftiest!

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Hiker Dood
Like?
In reply to Robiro, Sep 16, 2013

So far so good.  I'm very pleased with the performance so far.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
The Hiker Dood

Hiker Dood
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, Sep 16, 2013

Maybe, but you will need something where the metal part isn't very deep or you'll get vignetting.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
The Hiker Dood

genece
Forum ProPosts: 15,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, Sep 16, 2013

Vandyu wrote:

Other choices in the 55mm range:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Size_55mm&ci=2226&N=4077634523+4294957251

-- hide signature --

If anyone tries this hood , I wonder if they would be so kind as to let us know  how it works......or perhaps send me a message.......the Fz70 has my attention , but no hood is a problem.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Gene from Western Pa
http://imageevent.com/grc6
http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
FZ 30
D50 ....D80.....D7000 - 18 to 200VR- 50mm 1.8 - 80 to 400 OS
http://photos.imageevent.com/grc6/toshareonnet/topost/gene1111a.jpg
Just trying to learn and it's slow going!

genece's gear list:genece's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Nikon D50 Nikon D7000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads