Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to pgb, 10 months ago

pgb wrote:

HowardChernin wrote:

A few reasons:

5) Apple needs to maintain a strong presence in the high end photography/cinematography business in order to keep attracting customers to its higher end computing products (such as Mac Pro, Aperture, Final Cut X).

They scared a lot of customers away with their FCP X debacle and their xsan server customers were dumped too. More money in disposable phones and things you don't really need.

Your thoughts?

cults worry me.

Me too, the anti-Apple cult makes no sense to me at all.  Why do people put so much energy into hating products that are of no interest to them.  Who cares what phone or computer someone else is using?  A silly waste of energy.

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to HowardChernin, 10 months ago

I don't know about that, but Nikon should certainly sell their software business to Apple and stop trying to make software, something they do badly, and stick to making cameras.

Apple Capture NX? Just imagine how good that would be.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom May
Senior MemberPosts: 1,676
Like?
Re: They need to focus on their Phones
In reply to Britney Elvis, 10 months ago

I suspect that persons as yourself are more interested in maintaining the "Apple doesn't innovate" meme than actually understanding Apple's business model, but far be it for me to school anybody.

Apple wouldn't purchase Nikon, they might license some IP for AF, and such, but Apple isn't and won't be interested in cameras other than the modules for it's product lines, and Apple is well served by Sony in this regard.

In a not unexpected move, Apple designed the optics for the 5s camera module, and I expect them to be looking for OIS IP to purchase or license, and IP for all nature of lens manufacture. All with the goal of evolving the camera module specific to their needs.

Apple isn't going to build niche smartphone models for photographers as Nokia and Samsung have, but just continually evolve the hardware, software, and ecosystem to maintain the highest level of imaging for the iPhone form factor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 10 months ago

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

There wouldn't be a "back" button on any of their dumbed down cameras.

Meaning?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,045Gear list
Like?
Sure, by why would Nikon sell?
In reply to HowardChernin, 10 months ago

Makes NO sense for Nikon.  Sell their golden goose while they are poised to take the lead from Canon?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: No. We don't need a patent war in Camera technology.
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 10 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Is this a sick joke?

1) By post processing you really mean horribly clichéd filter effects for the hipsters? These people are not interested in post processing when every single photo is a sepia toned vignette. Conclusion: Disqualified argument.

Apple is doing things with its cameras that don't even exist in the most expensive dedicated camera systems. Their two colored LED flash that can changed color by varying the intensity of each color to compensate for varying lighting conditions is a perfect example.

Real world use?

What did you think I was referring to?

You're hyping over one hell of a gimmicky product development that hasn't even been released...

It's not the colour tones that kill a cheap camera phone flash, it's the fact that it's shot parallel to the lens. I won't comment on the obvious output limitations either...

White light can be colour balanced, coloured light... not so much and you are letting an algorithm decide for you what looks good.

You don't understand how current flash systems work and how Apple's new flash system works.

As for letting "an algorithm decide for you," you do use AF, do you not?

2 & 3) Apple doesn't have the clientele you speak of. Apple's market share are for people who want simple choices, simple GUI's and streamlined products. ILC cameras are not simple products no matter what you do there is always in depth knowledge required for lens selection etc. Conclusion: Disqualified argument.

What are "ILC cameras?"

Typo of ICL = interchangeable lens camera.

Thanks, but too many people assume that everyone else is going to understand acronyms they are used to.

4) I don't understand what point you are making with this observation

5) This just doesn't make any sense that Apple need a camera to sell computer hardware & software. Such an idea is downright ridiculous.

6) Contentious. I think Apple's "engineering talent" is overhyped.

Have you ever seen the inside of most of Apple's products? Open a Mac mini or a MacBook Air, for example, and you would have to be delusional or in denial to think they do fantastic engineering.

Fantastic engineering? What do you propose is fantastic other than the fact that apple makes stuff that is shiny?

Nothing much "shiny" about a MacBook Air and a Mac mini considering they are made of annodized alluminim.

I already gave you some examples.

Take a macbook air for instance... it's no marvel, it's just a machine that's been cannibalised for thinness and low weight

So no engineering goes into making something small?

They use proprietary screws, which means you cannot use a standard screwdriver...that is what I call universal engineering stupidity, I wonder are the screw threads anti clockwise too ? .

LOL. You can buy pentalobe screwdrivers online for a couple of bucks.

They solder ram, thus destroying any modular capability on the OEM front or USER front.

No, they solder RAM on a couple of models of MacBooks and those are the ones that are the thinnest, the same as many other ultrabooks. If paying extra to maxmize the amount of RAM from the start in exchange for a thinner and lighter computer is too much of a burden for you then such laptops are not for you.

So... they've got back to 40's methods in that department.

The "40's?" Huh? As far as I know such products didn't exist back then. Besides, things back in the 40's were designed much more so to be repaired or user serviced especially considering the size of the components involved so I don't know where you are trying to go with such a comparison.

Great "progress" of course and fits into their corporate paradigm in making people buy new machines instead of modular upgrading.

Fact is, most people will never upgrade their computers before buying another.

The speakers? Cheap, low output compromised components.

If you say so, though I'm not sure what kind of sound you are expecting from super slim, small and lightweight devices. My iPad 4, for example,  sounds great, and loud, for its very tiny single speaker.

Battery life? Whats that!

Apple has the best battery life in large tablets and small tablets and so far in ultrabooks. Some people are getting up to 14 hours with a 13" MacBook Air! I consistently get 11.5 hours from normal use on my iPad and quite a bit longer if I'm just watching videos. That's what battery life is.

7) Apple knows how to Market mass market products to people. You are asking them to market niche stuff to the mainstream... not so great an idea to be honest. Steve Jobs saved the company from doom; because he cut out ALL of their nichey stuff. You are suggesting Apple get involved with a niche market and try to convert it into the mainstream... its not a very good idea.

The Nikon 1 example.... is honestly appalling. It's not the marketing that's a failure, it's the product itself. Remind me which failure of a product apple has successfully marketed?

The other issue is that Apple is an anti-competitive company that prefers lawsuits to innovation. I don't want them in the camera market because it could spell release injunctions on other camera makers given Apple's general douchebaggery.

While there needs to be some overhaul of the patent systems around the world Samsung deserved most of the lawsuits taken against them. They clearly went out of their way to copy Apple at one time. That's not "innovation!" Only an irrational Apple hater would think otherwise.

I agree with your number 5. Apple is doing just fine with its camera development.

Apple are the #1 patent trolls, period. They proliferate the patent wars more than any other company.

Nonsense. By definition Apple is not a "patent troll." A "patent troll" doesn't produce anything.

They took out a patent for a round cornered rectange ....

Nonsense.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: No. We don't need a patent war in Camera technology.
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 10 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Also,

We remember Apple "ENGINEERING BRILLIANCE" on the Iphone?

1136x640 ... ?

So? What's the relevance of that?

They couldn't even manage a 16:9 ratio in their designs and you want these people to oversee an optics company?

LOL

What makes you think a 16:9 aspect ratio is required on a phone or a tablet? Besides, there are many current phones from different manufacturers  that do not have 16:9 aspect ratios. And if you hadn't noticed the newest iPhones are 16:9 so I don't know why you are complaining.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Ohhhh, I have riled the Apple faithful...
In reply to GodSpeaks, 10 months ago

GodSpeaks wrote:

LOL

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

That's rather juvenile.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?
Re: No. We don't need a patent war in Camera technology.
In reply to Basalite, 10 months ago

Basalite wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Is this a sick joke?

1) By post processing you really mean horribly clichéd filter effects for the hipsters? These people are not interested in post processing when every single photo is a sepia toned vignette. Conclusion: Disqualified argument.

Apple is doing things with its cameras that don't even exist in the most expensive dedicated camera systems. Their two colored LED flash that can changed color by varying the intensity of each color to compensate for varying lighting conditions is a perfect example.

Real world use?

What did you think I was referring to?

A gimmick that has limited function.

You're hyping over one hell of a gimmicky product development that hasn't even been released...

It's not the colour tones that kill a cheap camera phone flash, it's the fact that it's shot parallel to the lens. I won't comment on the obvious output limitations either...

White light can be colour balanced, coloured light... not so much and you are letting an algorithm decide for you what looks good.

You don't understand how current flash systems work how Apple's new flash system works.

Can you kindly explain how it overcomes the flash on camera issue...?

As for letting "an algorithm decide for you," you do use AF, do you not?

2 & 3) Apple doesn't have the clientele you speak of. Apple's market share are for people who want simple choices, simple GUI's and streamlined products. ILC cameras are not simple products no matter what you do there is always in depth knowledge required for lens selection etc. Conclusion: Disqualified argument.

What are "ILC cameras?"

Typo of ICL = interchangeable lens camera.

Thanks. Too many people assume that everyone else is going to understand acronyms they are used to.

No biggie. Look, I don't think Apple are interested in complicated products. And DSLR's, Mirrorless cameras are complicated.

Apple dumb things down for people who need things dumbed down.

So no engineering goes into making something small?

Engineering is not a euphemism for stylised design. Stop using engineering as a moronic euphemism.

They use proprietary screws, which means you cannot use a standard screwdriver...that is what I call universal engineering stupidity, I wonder are the screw threads anti clockwise too ? .

LOL. You can buy a pentalobe screwdrivers online for a couple of bucks.

What if you didn't bring one with you? What if you lost it? What if it was stolen? ....use your imagination and see the pentacrap screws serve no function and have a multitude of unnecessary drawbacks.

But honestly why should I deal with this garbage when a standard screw can be turned with a wide variety of commonly found everyday objects when a commonly found screwdriver cannot be found?

and furthermore, to the point, why do you NEED special screws? Do you fear little micro gremlins are going to steal the hardware?

They solder ram, thus destroying any modular capability on the OEM front or USER front.

No, they solder RAM on a couple of models of MacBooks and those are the ones that are the thinnest, the same as many other ultrabooks. If paying extra to maxmize the amount of RAM from the start in exchange for a thinnerand lighter computer is too much of a burden for you then such laptops are not for you.

So... they've got back to 40's methods in that department.

The "40's?" Huh? As far as I know such products didn't exist back then. Besides, things back in the 40's were designed much more so to be repaired or user serviced especially considering the size of the components involved.

Soldered computer hardware has existed for a very, very long time. All the tech modern computers is based on, works from modular components being used in conjunction with each other. This goes back more than 40 years btw.,

Great "progress" of course and fits into their corporate paradigm in making people buy new machines instead of modular upgrading.

Fact is, most people will never upgrade their computers before buying another.

According to who?

It's arrogant to presume people don't want options, especially if you remove it from them.

The "most people" line is stupid. Why should you pay MORE for any item that gives you LESS options? Apple makes overpriced dumbed down stuff. Now I can understand the majority of people lack attention, but power users want these things, and shouldn't be neglected and abandoned because the average user doesn't care about these things.

The speakers? Cheap, low output compromised components.

If you say so. not sure what kind of sound you are expecting from super slim, small and lightweight devices but my iPad 4, for example sounds great, and loud, for its very tiny speaker.

You probably love 128kb/s AAC and can't tell the difference between that and a CD

Battery life? Whats that!

Apple has the best battery life in large tablets and small tablets and so far in ultrabooks. Some people are getting up to 14 hours with a 13" MacBook Air! I consistently get 11.5 hours from normal use on my iPad and quite a bit longer if I'm just watching videos.

Spoken like a true salesman.

7) Apple knows how to Market mass market products to people. You are asking them to market niche stuff to the mainstream... not so great an idea to be honest. Steve Jobs saved the company from doom; because he cut out ALL of their nichey stuff. You are suggesting Apple get involved with a niche market and try to convert it into the mainstream... its not a very good idea.

The Nikon 1 example.... is honestly appalling. It's not the marketing that's a failure, it's the product itself. Remind me which failure of a product apple has successfully marketed?

The other issue is that Apple is an anti-competitive company that prefers lawsuits to innovation. I don't want them in the camera market because it could spell release injunctions on other camera makers given Apple's general douchebaggery.

While there needs to be some overhaul of the patent systems around the world Samsung deserved most of the lawsuits taken against them. They clearly went out of their way to copy Apple at one time. That's not "innovation!" Only an irrational Apple hater would think otherwise.

I agree with your number 5. Apple is doing just fine with its camera development.

Apple are the #1 patent trolls, period. They proliferate the patent wars more than any other company.

I don't think you understand it... Apple patents what is public domain. That is the worst level of patent trolling.

They attempt to patent troll.... a tablet cover...

http://betanews.com/2011/12/20/apple-is-a-patent-troll-now/

Sorry, you'll just have to accept the REALITY that not everyone is in love with Apple's corporate douchebaggery.

 ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: No. We don't need a patent war in Camera technology.
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 10 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Basalite wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Is this a sick joke?

1) By post processing you really mean horribly clichéd filter effects for the hipsters? These people are not interested in post processing when every single photo is a sepia toned vignette. Conclusion: Disqualified argument.

Apple is doing things with its cameras that don't even exist in the most expensive dedicated camera systems. Their two colored LED flash that can changed color by varying the intensity of each color to compensate for varying lighting conditions is a perfect example.

Real world use?

What did you think I was referring to?

A gimmick that has limited function.

How does a flash that can change its color temperature equal a gimmick? The previous alternative on professional camera systems was using color gels.

You're hyping over one hell of a gimmicky product development that hasn't even been released...

It's not the colour tones that kill a cheap camera phone flash, it's the fact that it's shot parallel to the lens. I won't comment on the obvious output limitations either...

White light can be colour balanced, coloured light... not so much and you are letting an algorithm decide for you what looks good.

You don't understand how current flash systems work how Apple's new flash system works.

Can you kindly explain how it overcomes the flash on camera issue...?

That's a different issue that has nothing to do with color temperature.

As for letting "an algorithm decide for you," you do use AF, do you not?

2 & 3) Apple doesn't have the clientele you speak of. Apple's market share are for people who want simple choices, simple GUI's and streamlined products. ILC cameras are not simple products no matter what you do there is always in depth knowledge required for lens selection etc. Conclusion: Disqualified argument.

What are "ILC cameras?"

Typo of ICL = interchangeable lens camera.

Thanks. Too many people assume that everyone else is going to understand acronyms they are used to.

No biggie. Look, I don't think Apple are interested in complicated products. And DSLR's, Mirrorless cameras are complicated.

There is no more "complicated products" than computing devices. Apple even designs its own CPUs for their mobile devices.

Apple dumb things down for people who need things dumbed down.

The reasonable way to look at it is to say that they try and make things easier to use. There is nothing dumb about that. A Mac can be modified in endless ways if one feels the need to go beyond what is offered.

So no engineering goes into making something small?

Engineering is not a euphemism for stylised design. Stop using engineering as a moronic euphemism.

Answer the question.

They use proprietary screws, which means you cannot use a standard screwdriver...that is what I call universal engineering stupidity, I wonder are the screw threads anti clockwise too ? .

LOL. You can buy a pentalobe screwdrivers online for a couple of bucks.

What if you didn't bring one with you? What if you lost it? What if it was stolen? ....use your imagination and see the pentacrap screws serve no function and have a multitude of unnecessary drawbacks.

LOL. Why would I use my "imagination" to dismiss the fact that such a screwdriver is inexpensive and easy to get your hands on any more than any other tool that is inexpensive and easy to get your hands on.

But honestly why should I deal with this garbage when a standard screw can be turned with a wide variety of commonly found everyday objects when a commonly found screwdriver cannot be found?

Do you have experience working on modern electronics? I do. I have regularly opened and serviced many types of electronics, both personally and for my job, and you will always need certain tools to get the job done. You are making an invalid argument.

and furthermore, to the point, why do you NEED special screws? Do you fear little micro gremlins are going to steal the hardware?

Why do some manufacturers chose torx screws over phillips? Why do some manufacturers chose phillips over flat head? Again, you are making an invalid argument.

They solder ram, thus destroying any modular capability on the OEM front or USER front.

No, they solder RAM on a couple of models of MacBooks and those are the ones that are the thinnest, the same as many other ultrabooks. If paying extra to maxmize the amount of RAM from the start in exchange for a thinnerand lighter computer is too much of a burden for you then such laptops are not for you.

So... they've got back to 40's methods in that department.

The "40's?" Huh? As far as I know such products didn't exist back then. Besides, things back in the 40's were designed much more so to be repaired or user serviced especially considering the size of the components involved.

Soldered computer hardware has existed for a very, very long time. All the tech modern computers is based on, works from modular components being used in conjunction with each other. This goes back more than 40 years btw.,

As I said, such products did not exist back then.

Great "progress" of course and fits into their corporate paradigm in making people buy new machines instead of modular upgrading.

Fact is, most people will never upgrade their computers before buying another.

According to who?

Common sense, personal experience since I started building and working on computers many years ago, industry data. The later you could look up yourself.

It's arrogant to presume people don't want options, especially if you remove it from them.

What "options" are you talking about? As far as I recall you only mentioned RAM, something that can be easily maxed out on purchase.

The "most people" line is stupid. Why should you pay MORE for any item that gives you LESS options?

You are paying more for a lighter and less bulky product.

Apple makes overpriced dumbed down stuff.

I think you already made clear that's how you feel.

Now I can understand the majority of people lack attention, but power users want these things, and shouldn't be neglected and abandoned because the average user doesn't care about these things.

Not neglected at all. A "power user" would simply add all the RAM they need on such a computer at the time of purchase and move on.

The speakers? Cheap, low output compromised components.

If you say so. not sure what kind of sound you are expecting from super slim, small and lightweight devices but my iPad 4, for example sounds great, and loud, for its very tiny speaker.

You probably love 128kb/s AAC and can't tell the difference between that and a CD

Of course I can, but that doesn't mean that 128kbp AAC doesn't also sound good, especially for what you get in return. And in case you are alluding to Apple's iTunes music, iTunes store audio files are 256kps AAC.

Battery life? Whats that!

Apple has the best battery life in large tablets and small tablets and so far in ultrabooks. Some people are getting up to 14 hours with a 13" MacBook Air! I consistently get 11.5 hours from normal use on my iPad and quite a bit longer if I'm just watching videos.

Spoken like a true salesman.

I'm not trying to sell you anything. Those are facts.

7) Apple knows how to Market mass market products to people. You are asking them to market niche stuff to the mainstream... not so great an idea to be honest. Steve Jobs saved the company from doom; because he cut out ALL of their nichey stuff. You are suggesting Apple get involved with a niche market and try to convert it into the mainstream... its not a very good idea.

The Nikon 1 example.... is honestly appalling. It's not the marketing that's a failure, it's the product itself. Remind me which failure of a product apple has successfully marketed?

The other issue is that Apple is an anti-competitive company that prefers lawsuits to innovation. I don't want them in the camera market because it could spell release injunctions on other camera makers given Apple's general douchebaggery.

While there needs to be some overhaul of the patent systems around the world Samsung deserved most of the lawsuits taken against them. They clearly went out of their way to copy Apple at one time. That's not "innovation!" Only an irrational Apple hater would think otherwise.

I agree with your number 5. Apple is doing just fine with its camera development.

Apple are the #1 patent trolls, period. They proliferate the patent wars more than any other company.

I don't think you understand it... Apple patents what is public domain. That is the worst level of patent trolling.

What exactly have they patented that is "public domain?"

As I said, by definition Apple is not a "patent troll."

They attempt to patent troll.... a tablet cover...

http://betanews.com/2011/12/20/apple-is-a-patent-troll-now/

Such an article from an obvious Apple hater is meaningless unless Apple's arguments are also included. That's called hearing both sides of the story.

Sorry, you'll just have to accept the REALITY that not everyone is in love with Apple's corporate douchebaggery.

Unfortunately for you, that's your "REALITY."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to pgb, 10 months ago

pgb wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

HowardChernin wrote:

Your thoughts?

If Apple buys Nikon then..

1, there will not be 7 or 8 models of DSLR like it was under Nikon management. There will be two models, the Nikon iCamera 5s, and 5c. But they are essentially the same anyway.

2, prices will be about 30% higher than Canon equivalent.

3, they will not have a memory card slot. It will have memories built in, you have to choose between 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB variants, with price increments of 100 dollar per variant.

4, they will not have a battery slot, because battery will also be built-in.

5, they will look good, for sure, but they will also be prone to cracks and scratches, so you will have to buy a casing - a product currently doesnt exist but will soon be a must for every camera.

6, you are not expected to use the same model for more than four years, just like you are not expect to use an iphone 3G in year 2013. if you do you will feel ashamed.

7. It would be white and lousy for street photography.

Most of Apple's products are not white at all while Nikon already sells a white camera.

-- hide signature --

In the beginning was the rhythm but I had forgotten and was waiting for the beat.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,023Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to Basalite, 10 months ago

Basalite wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

There wouldn't be a "back" button on any of their dumbed down cameras.

Meaning?

Jobs said no back button, so there you are. Unbelievable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: They need to focus on their Phones
In reply to Britney Elvis, 10 months ago

Britney Elvis wrote:

The latest release from Apple shows they have lost direction... a simple rehash of the old design and another lower end phone with colors. All while the other manufacturers are long passing them by...

Until sales data is released for the new models, including the 5s which isn't even being sold yet, you do not have enough data to determine that.

That is the kind of forward design and product release thinking that Ricoh has done since taking over Pentax...
K5II & K5IIS - plus a basket of colors for the low end models...

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 10 months ago

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

There wouldn't be a "back" button on any of their dumbed down cameras.

Meaning?

Jobs said no back button, so there you are. Unbelievable.

Not being a Jobs follower, I still don't know what that means?

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 10 months ago

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

There wouldn't be a "back" button on any of their dumbed down cameras.

Meaning?

Jobs said no back button, so there you are. Unbelievable.

No back button in what? Safari? I don't recall Safari never having a back button.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to pgb, 10 months ago

pgb wrote:

HowardChernin wrote:

A few reasons:

5) Apple needs to maintain a strong presence in the high end photography/cinematography business in order to keep attracting customers to its higher end computing products (such as Mac Pro, Aperture, Final Cut X).

They scared a lot of customers away with their FCP X debacle and their xsan server customers were dumped too.

Maybe so but they likely gained other customers that never would have previously given the software a chance. With plenty of requested features added FCP X is not the same app as when it was introduced.

More money in disposable phones and things you don't really need.

I have gotten more use out of my iPad than I have ever gotten out of any computer. Second to that is my iMac which is also a joy to use. My older 2008 iMac is still going strong.

Your thoughts?

cults worry me.

What's worrying is those that accuse people of being in a cult because they buy and enjoy a certain piece of electronics

-- hide signature --

In the beginning was the rhythm but I had forgotten and was waiting for the beat.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to Sal Baker, 10 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

pgb wrote:

HowardChernin wrote:

A few reasons:

5) Apple needs to maintain a strong presence in the high end photography/cinematography business in order to keep attracting customers to its higher end computing products (such as Mac Pro, Aperture, Final Cut X).

They scared a lot of customers away with their FCP X debacle and their xsan server customers were dumped too. More money in disposable phones and things you don't really need.

Your thoughts?

cults worry me.

Me too, the anti-Apple cult makes no sense to me at all. Why do people put so much energy into hating products that are of no interest to them. Who cares what phone or computer someone else is using? A silly waste of energy.

Sal

Exactly. I find most of the anti-Apple people that I speak to, especially online, are quite a worrying group. It's mind-boggling the hate and resentment they have, not to mention their ignorance about the products of a company they expend so much energy hating and commenting on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to Houseqatz, 10 months ago

Houseqatz wrote:

HowardChernin wrote:

A few reasons:

1) iPhone has introduced millions of customers to creative photography and post-processing, which is fabulous in and of itself. iPhone dominates the low-end/consumer markets, and the quality of the sensor, lens, DSP and software keep improving with every iteration. Nikon's deep pool of talent and experience in the fields of optics and sensor design would lend themselves to iPhone development.

2) Apple lacks a higher end product for photography enthusiasts, prosumers, and professionals who desire, among other things, more flexibility, more features, better AF, better image quality, etc. If you want a higher end camera, you can't buy one from Apple. Instead, your money ends up going to a company such as Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, or one of the many other competitors in the traditional camera market. It could instead be going to Apple.

3) Interchangeable lens system cameras remain a lucrative market for companies like Canon and Nikon. How many of us have bought a low-end consumer DSLR with kit lens, and thought "OK, I just need a nifty 50 and that'll complete my kit" only to buy additional gear because it's there, and we think it will make us better photographers? New lenses, external flashes, battery packs, these things all add up and provide additional revenue beyond the initial sale. Apple is no stranger to creating an ecosystem around a central product.

4) ILC purchasers often stay loyal to their brand for many years, if not a lifetime. You end up building a whole kit of equipment, including bodies, lenses, flashes, etc., all of which only natively work with your one brand. That kind of loyalty is similar to the loyalty associated with owners of Apple products.

5) Apple needs to maintain a strong presence in the high end photography/cinematography business in order to keep attracting customers to its higher end computing products (such as Mac Pro, Aperture, Final Cut X). Purchasing an established, respected brand with fierce customer loyalty and a tradition of excellence would reaffirm the synergy between Apple's products and these two critical markets.

6) Apple has the clarity of vision and the raw engineering talent to pull Nikon way ahead of the pack. Just off the top of my head, imagine if you combined Nikon sensors and optics with a retina touch display, Apple level build quality, quality control, and economy of scale, an Apple designed on-screen UI (hell, put iOS on there and allow use of Apps), AirPlay, and Thunderbolt. You'd have a camera that would be leagues ahead of anything else on the market, at a price that likely nobody else could match when looking at features.

7) Apple knows how to market way better than Nikon does. As much as we all love Ashton... Nikon has only had mixed success at marketing its 1 series to the masses as a lifestyle brand, and doesn't seem to be able to express why it is better than the competition in clear language.

I'm not saying Nikon needs Apple (though these days, the way the camera market is going, Nikon could probably use Apple's cash and engineering resources). But, Apple might do well by Nikon by bringing it under Apple's wing. Apple loves creating products that inspire, and having a high end imagining line to call its own would be a logical extension of the path that Apple has been taking for the past 10 years.

Your thoughts?

Not nikon.. Sigma. apple has a history of buying smaller companies who demonstrate a great deal of skill or creativity, but lack that brand name appeal. Not that sigma lacks appeal, but many of the people i encounter are unaware that they manufacture a dslr at all. their product line is already streamlined, and would require very little in the way of appleizing to make them fit in with the minimalist apple aesthetic.
if apple is going to enter into the video sphere, they would benefit from sticking to a video-centric company to put their resources into

The better part of Sigma to buy would be Foveon to get access to that sensor, especially if it can be improved to allow for much better low light photography.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,437
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to Houseqatz, 10 months ago

Houseqatz wrote:

Your thoughts?

Not nikon.. Sigma.

Nikon is a public company, Sigma is private, My bet is Nikon is more than ten times Sigma's worth.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Houseqatz
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple should buy Nikon's consumer/prosumer DSLR business
In reply to Basalite, 10 months ago

Basalite wrote:

Houseqatz wrote:

Not nikon.. Sigma. apple has a history of buying smaller companies who demonstrate a great deal of skill or creativity, but lack that brand name appeal. Not that sigma lacks appeal, but many of the people i encounter are unaware that they manufacture a dslr at all. their product line is already streamlined, and would require very little in the way of appleizing to make them fit in with the minimalist apple aesthetic.
if apple is going to enter into the video sphere, they would benefit from sticking to a video-centric company to put their resources into

The better part of Sigma to buy would be Foveon to get access to that sensor, especially if it can be improved to allow for much better low light photography.

That's really what i was aiming for, but getting the whole set of skills; sensor design/implementation, camera body design/manufacturing, lens design/manufacturing.  Unlike an Apple:Nikon merger, which would be like cool bc because two giants would be coming together, but not so cool bc there isn't really enough room for both to exist as one. An Apple:Sigma merger would benefit both enormously, by giving apple access to sigma's wealth of technology and expertise, and sigma gaining access to a marketing team that can STILLmanage to sell mp3 players.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads