HEY OLYMPUS! I’m irritated as %@&#!!!

Started Sep 14, 2013 | Discussions
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,520Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting comment. Now a question for you...
In reply to erichK, Sep 18, 2013

erichK wrote:

3DrJ wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

3DrJ wrote:

In other words, introductory rebates are a separate issue. Thing is, some kind of rebate is offered in each region, and the items have a retail value that is approximately equal.

In N. America, it's the MMF3 or FL300R, retail price of these is ~$200. But the HLD7 also retails for $200. All 3 are worth about the same. Which accessory qualifies for rebate does NOT change the overall price, or value received.

But the retail value and COST to Olympus are two different things.

I would gladly pay an extra $50, perhaps even $75 to have the rebate apply to the grip rather than a flash- which I doubt they could produce for an in-house cost of $5

Compare to the price of a LED flash light in you local Walmart (2 for $6 in mine), subtract distribution, delivery costs and retail margin. I had the FL-300R and sold it, it is a dingy little plastic thing with 2 AA batteries, so cheap, even the flash included with E-M5 is better made.
I mean really, all those battery-run toys in Walmart have obviously higher marginal costs (AND I WAS TALKING ABOUT MARGINAL COSTS IN MY POST), at least if they are produced with the comparable efficiency to the flash.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014Gear list
Like?
Re: HEY OLYMPUS! I’m irritated as %@&#!!!
In reply to dennis tennis, Sep 20, 2013

dennis tennis wrote:

Grown man complaining that his lens will not be ready in time for his trip.

We feel for you. The world does revolve around you, such a shame that Olympus didn't get the memo.

Some people are jealous of us because we have clean drinking water in our own homes and we don't have to carry hit up a mountain on our backs like the Napalese villagers, but hey, the don't have to worry about not having the 122-40 f2.8 to pair with the EM1.

I would much rather have their problem than be in your predicament. Also, did I hear you right, you don't have any shoes that matches your new Prada man-purse. Such a pity.

What, these won't do?

Credit where it's due: http://lifeofriella.blogspot.com/2013/06/dont-stomp-your-little-last-season.html

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,369Gear list
Like?
In reply to RealPancho, Sep 20, 2013

It is not like you can not buy a Panasonic kit with lens, like the GH-3.

Please this is not venting, its the rich kid not getting his way because he has no control of a situation they feel entitled to for lord knows why.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Sep 21, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

It is not like you can not buy a Panasonic kit with lens, like the GH-3.

Please this is not venting, its the rich kid not getting his way because he has no control of a situation they feel entitled to for lord knows why.

You know nothing about me.

1) I am not rich, not by any stretch of the imagination. Compared to some poor unfortunate soul living in a third world slum, yes. Otherwise, no.

2) I am not a kid by anyone's definition. Okay, maybe by an octogenarian's definition, but not by anybody else's.

3) I don't feel at all entitled. I simply felt that it made no sense, from the customer satisfaction perspective, to release the two items separately.

4) I was speaking at least a bit tongue-in-cheek.

5) I am not stupid enough to judge and label you on the basis of a single internet forum post, although I am tempted.

Have a nice day.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
ryan2007
Like?
Yet again Olympus Users always complain, nothing from Panny users
In reply to RealPancho, Sep 21, 2013

Timmy, Timmy...

Fujifilm X100S
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Yet again Olympus Users always complain, nothing from Panny users

ryan2007 wrote:

Timmy, Timmy...

Yeah, it's not like Panasonic users were recently whining about not being able to purchase certain GX7 kits in the US!?

At least Olympus only makes the E-M1 in one color so we don't have to hear people complain about it not being available in black...

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
ryan2007
Like?
In reply to Optical1, Sep 21, 2013

Optical1 wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

Timmy, Timmy...

Yeah, it's not like Panasonic users were recently whining about not being able to purchase certain GX7 kits in the US!?

At least Olympus only makes the E-M1 in one color so we don't have to hear people complain about it not being available in black...

It is the first time Panasonic is making a silver GX camera.

Still the GH-3 is a great camera, no need for a GX-7. I would buy the GH-3 over the GX-7.

Fujifilm X100S
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,727
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

Optical1 wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

Timmy, Timmy...

It is the first time Panasonic is making a silver GX camera.

Still the GH-3 is a great camera, no need for a GX-7. I would buy the GH-3 over the GX-7.

We're still waiting to see some pics from your new Fuji system.

Or, for that matter, from your old GH-3 system.

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

ryan2007
Like?
In reply to fotophool, Sep 21, 2013

Who is we, you seem to be creaming over this for some reason.

Fujifilm X100S
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,968Gear list
Like?
A likely explanation
In reply to Optical1, Sep 21, 2013

In a recent thread titled Olympus Rep Vist 19 Sep 2013 - Sammy's Camera in Santa Ana, CA

started by Airmel he states that:

Oly rep Ray did a great job of explaining the various new features. He also verified that the E-M1 body will be available much sooner than the 12-40mm pro zoom, making it impossible for early adopters to benefit from any sort of bundled deal.

While the promised availability of such a kit in some European countries seems to contradict this, production and distribution for an international market is complex, and this may simply reflect the fact that a small early production batch that more or less fills the needs of a couple of national markets exists or soon will.  OTOH it will likely take some time to produce the likely much larger batch needed for the US (and Canada which is usually served through the same HQ).

Sending a too-small batch to this market would only cause problems as Olympus tries to win back dealers and their shelf space. Equal treatment and equal access to stock, is likely something they are quite concerned about, especially with such dealers as Calgary's The Camera Store, which is again carrying Olympus again after an almost three gap caused by a dispute which apparently started over timely filing of order and access to product issues.

Decades ago, I was a buyer for a large city. I soon learned that getting a greatly inadequate early lot of an in-demand item is usually more trouble than its worth, because of the need to priorize, compicated backorders internecine squabbles, etc this tends to generate.

So I am going to wait awhile, and hope for a Christmas bundle!

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads