Sony NEX 16-70mm f4 Carl Zeiss for NEX-7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,203Gear list
Like?
Sony NEX 16-70mm f4 Carl Zeiss for NEX-7
10 months ago

Instead of purchasing a $2400  24-70mm lens for my Canon, a year ago I decided a NEX-7 would be a great little camera which would probably get much more use than that lens. It has been a lot of fun and is invaluable to use for less conspicuous photography situations. The weakness is in the kit lens which to me seems rather soft in the corners and lacks in color and contrast, Will this Zeiss lens be the perfect replacement for the kit lens?

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,811
Like?
Re: Sony NEX 16-70mm f4 Carl Zeiss for NEX-7
In reply to riknash, 10 months ago

For me it will assuming it performs like we would expect.  But you will have plenty of folks that don't consider f4 fast enough so it really depends on your needs.  I find that a fast prime like the 24 f1.8 along with a constant aperture f4 zoom with more reach works better for me vs a 16-50 f2.8.  I'm able to use the zoom most of the time so I don't need to switch all that often and when I do it's usually because I need more light and f2.8 still won't be enough.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
beetle0042000
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, 10 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

For me it will assuming it performs like we would expect. But you will have plenty of folks that don't consider f4 fast enough so it really depends on your needs. I find that a fast prime like the 24 f1.8 along with a constant aperture f4 zoom with more reach works better for me vs a 16-50 f2.8. I'm able to use the zoom most of the time so I don't need to switch all that often and when I do it's usually because I need more light and f2.8 still won't be enough.

I feel the same

Hugo600si
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?

riknash wrote:

Instead of purchasing a $2400 24-70mm lens for my Canon, a year ago I decided a NEX-7 would be a great little camera which would probably get much more use than that lens. It has been a lot of fun and is invaluable to use for less conspicuous photography situations. The weakness is in the kit lens which to me seems rather soft in the corners and lacks in color and contrast, Will this Zeiss lens be the perfect replacement for the kit lens?

I bought the 7 with only the 24 as I felt all other lenses at that time fell short. This zoom looks to be the lens that should have come out with the 7, if I need something more than f4 I'd want to go prime anyway. Coupled with the black 50 and hopefully an 85-100 /2-2.8-ish (silly enough never got over that silver color on the 50 ) it should cover all needs.

-- hide signature --

Shamelessly promoting my favourite painters website (my wife's ) and my handiwork:
http://EdithsArt.com and http://EditshArt.nl (Dutch)

Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,716
Like?
I'm fortunate to have the R1 with the Zeiss 24-120mm (FOVeq.) and will skip the

I'm fortunate to have the R1 with the Zeiss 24-120mm (FOVeq.) and will skip the new Zeiss. Love the 24 mm and can't think of a reason to remove it from the camera. However, if I did not have the R1 it would be at the top of my list.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100 & Nikon V1

pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 808
Like?

riknash wrote:

Instead of purchasing a $2400 24-70mm lens for my Canon, a year ago I decided a NEX-7 would be a great little camera which would probably get much more use than that lens. It has been a lot of fun and is invaluable to use for less conspicuous photography situations. The weakness is in the kit lens which to me seems rather soft in the corners and lacks in color and contrast, Will this Zeiss lens be the perfect replacement for the kit lens?

nothing ever is perfect. But if is confirmed what early samples show then the lens should be very good in terms of sharpness, color and contrast. Other than that is is a compromise between size/weight and speed. I do not believe that any company has figured out yet how to make a compact, fast zoom with good optical quality. I guess Sony assumes that those who want a faster zoom will get an A-mount lens and LA-EA2 adapter.

Anyways - granted the 24-70 is good optically it will cover a lot of ground especially if combined with one of the faster primes for situations when either speed is needed for available light or shallower DOF is ciritical.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads