Another suggestion for forum direction

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,303
Like?
Another suggestion for forum direction
10 months ago

Since Olympus has come up with a new line of M43 lenses called the PRO series... map for four of them right now... and they don't necessarily replace HG/SHG lenses as much as fill in gaps between HG and SHG... (that 100-350 sounds very nice)

Since these lenses appear to be at least in the vicinity of HG ZD in quality, aperture, and price...

Since just about anyone who is using 4/3 gear today is using HG and/or SHG glass...

Since the IQ of the ZD lenses is the reason most of us have stayed with the 4/3 system...

Since the person who would come up with the hefty price for a PRO lens is probably more interested in photo technique and beautiful images than technobabble, just like the average 1022 resident...

How about renaming this the Olympus DSLR and PRO forum?

Certainly, the type of person interested in the expensive PRO lenses would fit in quite nicely, and they would be delighted to find a group that shared a common interest. Plus, the PRO lens buyer would also be very interested in the IQ that they can get on an EM1 by using HG and SHG glass.

And because this is a rather genteel group, who didn't explode into fanboy wars when Panasonic brought out the L1, L10, and PL lens series, I would expect it to welcome owners of the high end Panasonic glass as well. The upcoming 150 F2.8 looks interesting.

Sounds like a win all around.

This forum draws in some new members who share the same common passion for exquisite optics and beautiful photographs as most of the current members, so it doesn't fade into obscurity like the Kodak DSLR and Minolta forums.

The M43 owners interested in very high image quality and beautiful compositions get a place where their discussions aren't swamped by fanboy wars and techno-spats. Tedious, very tedious...

Plus, current 4/3 owners get to see what this new EM1 and the PRO lenses can do. Tell me you aren't interested in that. This might not be such a bad direction, after all.

Or, we could be gauche and call it the 'one beautiful forum'...

Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
An OMD forum solves all of this.
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

The simplest answer, and the one suggested more than once by others,  is to start an OM-D forum and call it a day.

The Pen users stay with mFT and the E-system and other DSLR crowds can stay here until they are ready to migrate.

The distinctions being made here between mFT and FT are not longer relevant with the EM-1. These are merely distinctions without differences.

The discussions should be about how to get the most out of the one beautiful system and not the two old systems.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,403
Like?
Re: Another suggestion for forum direction
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

I think you'd have to make it non brand specific. Panasonic's 12-35 and 35-100 are reasonably equivalent to HG.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,793Gear list
Like?
Re: An OMD forum solves all of this.
In reply to Craig from Nevada, 10 months ago

Craig from Nevada wrote:

The simplest answer, and the one suggested more than once by others, is to start an OM-D forum and call it a day.

The Pen users stay with mFT and the E-system and other DSLR crowds can stay here until they are ready to migrate.

The distinctions being made here between mFT and FT are not longer relevant with the EM-1. These are merely distinctions without differences.

The discussions should be about how to get the most out of the one beautiful system and not the two old systems.

Sensible since the OMD EM-1 is at least the first step in merging the two mounts.  There is more to photography than the mounts, and more we can do about the future than the past.  Should I purchase the EM-1 (it took me two years to purchase the E-5), I would still want to be in two forums.  The positive pay off is a lot less bickering and sniping about where a thread should be posted and a more direct relation to how Olympus itself breaks out its product lines.  A solid suggestion.

 Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
Re: An OMD forum solves all of this.
In reply to Roger Engelken, 10 months ago

Roger Engelken wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

The simplest answer, and the one suggested more than once by others, is to start an OM-D forum and call it a day.

The Pen users stay with mFT and the E-system and other DSLR crowds can stay here until they are ready to migrate.

The distinctions being made here between mFT and FT are not longer relevant with the EM-1. These are merely distinctions without differences.

The discussions should be about how to get the most out of the one beautiful system and not the two old systems.

Sensible since the OMD EM-1 is at least the first step in merging the two mounts. There is more to photography than the mounts, and more we can do about the future than the past. Should I purchase the EM-1 (it took me two years to purchase the E-5), I would still want to be in two forums. The positive pay off is a lot less bickering and sniping about where a thread should be posted and a more direct relation to how Olympus itself breaks out its product lines. A solid suggestion.

We need PEN, Forum and DSLR forums.

I thought for a while that OMD could be merged with this forum, but I think people would be happier with three forums.  The EM-5 introduction and the comments of the past couple weeks suggest three is the right number.  Let the Panny people decide if they want an mft or Panasonic forum

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
Re: Another suggestion for forum direction
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

The principle is great. And I agree.

The problem will come in when its refereed to as an elitist forum. Then there will be the people who insist on posting pen and other stuff and things will go pear shape as per usual. People are pretty touchy around here.

I would hate to be the MOD for that forum.

The simplest would be

Olympus Interchangeable lens cameras.

Olympus Talk

Panasonic Interchangeable lend Cameras

Panasonic Talk

m4/3 - 4/3 lenses and acessories.

There are very few Items that are interchangeable other that lenses on m4/3 maybe flashes and a few third party accessories.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

 CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ray s james
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
Re: Another suggestion for forum direction
In reply to CollBaxter, 10 months ago

Colin, I think this is the best suggestion to date.

-- hide signature --

Ray

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?
Re: Another suggestion for forum direction
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

I do touch base here occasionally and it is still one of the saner parts of DPR and is definitely a more knowledgeable group. It would be nice to keep it that way. Since there are probably some still using E1, E3, E5, E30 or Exxx like me, there is probably still an audience for Olympus SLR Talk.

Switching over to an E-M1 focused forum will probably open the floodgates to m4/3 Equivalentists and such. There is more to photography than pixel peeping.

You have a good thing going here and as long as Olympus is selling or repairing the E5, E30, etc, hold on to it. Or at least wait a bit... (2₵)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
Re: Another suggestion for forum direction
In reply to mapgraphs, 10 months ago

mapgraphs wrote:

I do touch base here occasionally and it is still one of the saner parts of DPR and is definitely a more knowledgeable group. It would be nice to keep it that way. Since there are probably some still using E1, E3, E5, E30 or Exxx like me, there is probably still an audience for Olympus SLR Talk.

Switching over to an E-M1 focused forum will probably open the floodgates to m4/3 Equivalentists and such. There is more to photography than pixel peeping.

You have a good thing going here and as long as Olympus is selling or repairing the E5, E30, etc, hold on to it. Or at least wait a bit... (2₵)

"m4/3 Equivalentists"

A new term.  I like it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154
Like?
Re: An OMD forum solves all of this.
In reply to Craig from Nevada, 10 months ago

The problem is that the Panasonic GH3 is as 'Pro' as the OM-D cameras. And people own OM-Ds and Panasonic cameras, and lenses and accessories from both camps.

There have been attempts to separate the M43 forum in the past and it has been strongly resisted. So most people would still go to the M43 forum to discuss the OM-D cameras anyway as they have no affinity with the DSLR forum and have never owned an E-system camera.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
Re: An OMD forum solves all of this.
In reply to Olymore, 10 months ago

Olymore wrote:

The problem is that the Panasonic GH3 is as 'Pro' as the OM-D cameras. And people own OM-Ds and Panasonic cameras, and lenses and accessories from both camps.

There have been attempts to separate the M43 forum in the past and it has been strongly resisted. So most people would still go to the M43 forum to discuss the OM-D cameras anyway as they have no affinity with the DSLR forum and have never owned an E-system camera.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

There has never been an mFT camera that can operate FT lenses.  It is a game changer for the OMD users.  There are now serious new choices.

The reason why OMD isn't here is that they were chased out in 2012.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,793Gear list
Like?
Re: An OMD forum solves all of this.
In reply to Olymore, 10 months ago

Olymore wrote:

The problem is that the Panasonic GH3 is as 'Pro' as the OM-D cameras. And people own OM-Ds and Panasonic cameras, and lenses and accessories from both camps.

There have been attempts to separate the M43 forum in the past and it has been strongly resisted. So most people would still go to the M43 forum to discuss the OM-D cameras anyway as they have no affinity with the DSLR forum and have never owned an E-system camera.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

And there is the root of it, people own more than one camera, perhaps cameras made by more than one manufacturer, yet all are of the four thirds and/or micro four thirds lineage.  You have a four thirds camp, a micro four thirds camp, and now it would seem a camp that marries the two (depending on how good the AF is will contribute to the success of this marriage).  If there is a need to change things once the frenzy over the new release subsides, breaking it among these three lines seems to be the most sensible approach I have seen.  Nothing manufacturer specific, just mount/system specific.

 Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,858Gear list
Like?
All good suggestions.
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

Here's mine.

Olympus Compact Camera Talk

One Beautiful System Talk

Panasonic Compact Camera Talk

(just kidding folks)

I actually think this forum should become:

Olympus SLR/OMD Talk

And Micro Four Thirds Talk should be split into:

Olympus PEN Talk

Panasonic ILC Talk

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

 SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R2elk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188
Like?
Re: Another suggestion for forum direction
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

TrapperJohn wrote:

Since Olympus has come up with a new line of M43 lenses called the PRO series... map for four of them right now... and they don't necessarily replace HG/SHG lenses as much as fill in gaps between HG and SHG... (that 100-350 sounds very nice)

Right there is the first error in your thought process. They are m43 specific lenses. They will not work on any of the Olympus SLRs. This is still the Olympus SLR forum so the m43 lenses do not belong here.

Since these lenses appear to be at least in the vicinity of HG ZD in quality, aperture, and price...

It doesn't matter, they will not work on an Olympus SLR. This still is the Olympus SLR forum.

Since just about anyone who is using 4/3 gear today is using HG and/or SHG glass...

There are a lot of Olympus users that bought the E-XXX series with the dual lens kit. They still shoot with those cameras and lenses and have never bought any HG or SHG lenses. They also typically do not post in this forum. But just one more of your false assumptions.

Since the IQ of the ZD lenses is the reason most of us have stayed with the 4/3 system...

Since the person who would come up with the hefty price for a PRO lens is probably more interested in photo technique and beautiful images than technobabble, just like the average 1022 resident...

How about renaming this the Olympus DSLR and PRO forum?

This is the Olympus SLR forum and there is no need to rename it.

Certainly, the type of person interested in the expensive PRO lenses would fit in quite nicely, and they would be delighted to find a group that shared a common interest. Plus, the PRO lens buyer would also be very interested in the IQ that they can get on an EM1 by using HG and SHG glass.

You have already decided for yourself that the EM-1 is part of this forum. Wrong. The EM-1 is an m43 camera, it is not an SLR. Just because Olympus proclaimed the EM-1 the successor to the E-5, it did not suddenly make the DSLRs stop existing and did not make them stop working.

And because this is a rather genteel group, who didn't explode into fanboy wars when Panasonic brought out the L1, L10, and PL lens series, I would expect it to welcome owners of the high end Panasonic glass as well. The upcoming 150 F2.8 looks interesting.

How quickly you have forgotten how nasty it used to get in this forum. We were very happy to see a select group head over to the m43 forum.

Sounds like a win all around.

Sounds like you feel that the people with SLRs no longer deserve to have a forum and wish to claim our forum for yourself and other m43 fanboys. Sounds like a huge loss for the people who use Olympus SLRs.

This forum draws in some new members who share the same common passion for exquisite optics and beautiful photographs as most of the current members, so it doesn't fade into obscurity like the Kodak DSLR and Minolta forums.

Better that than having to put up with the m43 fanboys.

The M43 owners interested in very high image quality and beautiful compositions get a place where their discussions aren't swamped by fanboy wars and techno-spats. Tedious, very tedious...

Plus, current 4/3 owners get to see what this new EM1 and the PRO lenses can do. Tell me you aren't interested in that. This might not be such a bad direction, after all.

I personally have no interest in the EM-1 and definitely have no interest in any m43 lens because they will not work on my Olympus DSLRs.

Or, we could be gauche and call it the 'one beautiful forum'...

If you want your own special forum, lobby the Dpreview management to create a forum for "Pro m43" where all your OMD, pro style Panasonics and pro style m43 lenses can be discussed. Stop trying to steal this forum for m43.

-- hide signature --

Comments and critiques always welcome.
Bob K.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,980
Like?
The direction is just "Ahead"
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

@ Trapper: good idea as long as it does not sound or become elitist...
@ all: we just need a place to chat and exchange experiences cross platforms and brands , whatever it's called.
I just mix and match mFT and FT, Oly, Pana, Rokinon and whatever else on shoots.
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads