The one thing that concerns me about the E-M1

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,353Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't get your hopes up
In reply to knickerhawk, Sep 13, 2013

knickerhawk wrote:

It seems like with every new camera there's this bi-polar manic/depressive reaction that goes on in these forums about the image quality. "Oh my God! It's SO much better than X camera." Followed by: "Oh my God! You'd need a microscope to see any improvements over X camera." Rinse and repeat...

Will I need a microscope to see the difference if I upgrade from a Panasonic FZ200 bridge camera and my primary form of display is web sites such as Flickr and ipernity?

I have a budding interest in Night Photography.

I only shoot RAW and I am trying hard to improve my post processing skills in Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714Gear list
Like?
Re: Kwick,
In reply to Anfy, Sep 13, 2013

Anfy wrote:

Kwick1 wrote:

No, it's not video (I don't care about that at all)

It's just the basic photo quality.

I see the test shots, but have yet to see a low ISO photo that blows me away with the way it renders the scene, dynamic range, etc.

I can obviously see the acuity due to the lack of AA, I can see the high ISO samples (not anything life-changing, by the way), but I'm looking for the way the highlights roll off, the subtlety of tones, the graceful way it handles colors.

I'm not saying that it can't do it, it's just that I haven't seen any (especially since 90% of the photos out there were all taken at the same press event on a cloudy day).

Many of the samples I've seen have weird sharpening artifacts (despite being OOC JPGs) and blotchy colors.

We'll see in 3 weeks, I suppose, but it has me concerned.

I was a bit skeptical on real improvements of E-M1 over other m4/3 for IQ, and in fact I think in the ISO 200-3200 range there's little more room that, say, an E-M5: but then I saw the ISO 100 (A.K.A. LOW) on Imaging Resource Comparometer (http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM): the difference with other ISO is there, see for instance the difficult red leafed fabric on the left side of the image. It is a great improvement if you plan to shoot at that speed.

Hope this helps.

Ciao!

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

I compared the EM 1 image of the still life with the same images shot with the Nikon D3s I use most now.

The EM1 certainly displays far more fine detail than the D3s - it is very obvious - at low ISO. Up to 800, the EM-1 certainly compares very well. From 1600 onwards it starts to get more noisy (although no idea what approach was taken to NR)

Hit 6400 and the reverse is true.

Fine detail at ISO 200 is also noticeably improved in comparison to the GH-3 Lumix.

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,088Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't get your hopes up
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Sep 14, 2013

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

It seems like with every new camera there's this bi-polar manic/depressive reaction that goes on in these forums about the image quality. "Oh my God! It's SO much better than X camera." Followed by: "Oh my God! You'd need a microscope to see any improvements over X camera." Rinse and repeat...

Will I need a microscope to see the difference if I upgrade from a Panasonic FZ200 bridge camera and my primary form of display is web sites such as Flickr and ipernity?

I have a budding interest in Night Photography.

I only shoot RAW and I am trying hard to improve my post processing skills in Lightroom.

No you will not need a microscope to see the differences.  I suspect you won't need a microscope to see the differences between the EM1 and the EM5, although they may be less pronounced than the differences between previous generation sensors and the one used in the EM5...

The differences between sensor performance between the camera you have and the EM1 (or EM5 for that matter) will be quite noticeable, especially as you work with the files.  Shadowed areas, images with high dynamic range, and images taken at higher ISOs are all going to show better detail, dimensionality, and less noise, and you WILL see the differences.  At base ISO, with lower DR images, you may not notice the differences as much, but as you work with your images, you will discover how much more information there is in the files from the current gen M43s than from your present camera.

-J

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads