How many GH3 owners considering OMD EM1

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions
Nikon D700
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
How many GH3 owners considering OMD EM1
Sep 13, 2013

For thoes of you that own the Panasonic GH3, I'm curious to know how many of you are considering purchasing the OMD EM1 and why?

Nikon D700's gear list:Nikon D700's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
josbiker
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?
Re: How many GH3 owners considering OMD EM1
In reply to Nikon D700, Sep 13, 2013

Nikon D700 wrote:

For thoes of you that own the Panasonic GH3, I'm curious to know how many of you are considering purchasing the OMD EM1 and why?

Strange question!

josbiker's gear list:josbiker's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,369Gear list
Like?
Yes, strange. No comparison regarding video, of course.
In reply to josbiker, Sep 13, 2013

Stills IQ differences not known, pending serious reviews. I have OM-Ds and GH2/3s, and see no reason to spend any money on the new Oly...better used for lenses and whisky!

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +4 more
Jim T
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,238Gear list
Like?

For me there are 4 reasons not to order EM-1

1 - Money

2 - no built-in flash

3 - I don't have any 4/3 lenses

4 - video

Nikon D700 wrote:

Jim T's gear list:Jim T's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +11 more
kodachromeguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 571Gear list
Like?
In reply to josbiker, Sep 13, 2013

I agree, very odd.  Where is this going or why?

-- hide signature --

The Kodachromeguy

kodachromeguy's gear list:kodachromeguy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Karen Casebeer
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

As a GH3 owner who loves her new camera and accompanying lenses, why would I even consider such a switch?  If you know the GH3, it's surprising you would even ask that question?  Karen

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188
Like?

Nikon D700 wrote:

No flipout screen and worse video; not interested.

kirlen
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karen Casebeer, Sep 13, 2013

Strange question indeed...   Why?  The EM1 sounds like a very fine camera but, offers no additional "must have" features, for me anyway.   The GH3 will continue to be my primary camera.

kirlen's gear list:kirlen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Winston Loo
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?

Nikon D700 wrote:

no.  EM1 video sux.  Dont like the look.  No flash.  The EM1 is not sufficiently a step up.

Winston Loo's gear list:Winston Loo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Dphotog
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
In reply to Winston Loo, Sep 13, 2013

Its a fine stills camera probably better than the GH3 that being said the em5 had a small gap aswell over the gh3 aswell. I personally film alot so the em1 isnt a choice.  Maybe if I didnt shoot video Olympus could be a realistic option for me. But currently I couldn't see myself purchasing one simply because it has slightly one stop iq over gh3 in just stills.  If em1 had same video features as the gh3 I would have no problems switching this second for some ibis. Truth! Most would too

guybie
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
BIF

That would be the only improvement for me i guess, hopefully the "GH4" also will use PDAF

guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,843Gear list
Like?

I got bored w/ no 42.5/1.2 selling and no GH4/5, so I indeed purchased 35-100 (me and zoom !) and preodered E-M1... I need something to waste the time on

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +23 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,496Gear list
Like?
EM5 better IQ than GH3?
In reply to Dphotog, Sep 13, 2013

Where are the reviews that say the EM5 has a better IQ than the GH3? I would be interested in seeing them.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
paul cool
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 better IQ than GH3?
In reply to FrankS009, Sep 13, 2013

no I lost to much money buying the gh3 as an early adopter ,maybe in about 8 mnths

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Hirogen8472
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Not considering E-M1 but definitely new GH 4 because…

I expect that new GH4 will have new sensor based on technology patented by Panasonic and Fuji (as published recently) that will allow noise free results for ISO from 100-3200 and high quality results for ISO up to 25600.

I expect global shutter (when GH 3 was released Panasonic management said that global shutter is 2 years away which is pretty much period between two GH versions) on multi-aspect sensor

I expect new processor providing 4K video and higher quality colors (4:4:2)

I hope that Panasonic will be the first manufacturer that will include SSD as internal storage in new GH4 and options for external storage

I hope that they will put new larger LCD (3.5") with retina IPS display and better EVF

I hope that they will improve further what I find excellent ergonomics and utilities (Wi-Fi, touch screen, GPS etc)

After using for couple of months GH3 I love it and I see no reason to go for Olympus OMD E-M1 although it would probably be an excellent camera.

However, if GH 4 would have above mentioned I would go for it definitely!

Cheers

Hirogen8472's gear list:Hirogen8472's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Not me

This is the opposite of what you asked, but here are the reasons why I'm *not* buying the EM-1.

1.I hate Oly's menu system. It's overly complicated, completely illogical, and counter-intuitive, with settings for a given function scattered all over the mlenus.

2. I honestly don't see any significant advantages compared to the GH3.

a. Even if IQ measures better, the GH3 (and EM-5) are as good as I need for the work I do.

b. The size difference is trivial

c. I don't shoot a lot of sports or action any more, so the presumably "better" C-AF isn't of great importance to me. And I have no 4/3 lenses. Aside from that, C-AF on the GH3 is remarkably good. I'd say at least as good as my 50D, which means it's in the same range as any of the mid-range DSLRs, and significantly better than the OM-D. (Yes, I've owned both).

d. No built-in flash. I don't use it lot, but it's come in handy for fill on quite a few occasions. A couple of weeks ago I was taking pics of my 6 week old niece, outdoors under a big umbrella. A little fill made all the difference, and had I an OM-D I might not have had a flash with me.

4. No articulated LCD

5. Ergonomics are likely no better than the magnificent GH3, and maybe worse.

6. All of my mid-range to long lenses are stabilized.

7. I can think of other ways to spend $1400 (ore less) that will have a much bigger impact on my photography.

That said, the E-M1 looks like an excellent camera, and if I didn't already have a GH3 I'd certainly look at it seriously. I suspect I'd still have a real hard time getting past the menu system, though. If you already have Oly gear, and want to upgrade to a more professional body with better ergos, the EM-1 certainly merits consideration.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +12 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,995Gear list
Like?

Silly question. OP must be really bored!

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1
ntsan
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: Not considering E-M1 but definitely new GH 5 because…
In reply to Hirogen8472, Sep 13, 2013

I do think 4K and 120fps is a must on GH5, because by that time there will be a handful of smartphones doing 4K and 120fps recording, why can't cameras?

Currently I think only some GH3 photographers are interested  (like Joe fotosiamo have expressive stated he is interested)

But for most GH3 owners especially videographers, E-M1 offer no improvement on the video quality, and the PDAF only works on still not video, the 5 axis IS can be acquired using much cheaper E-M5 instead.

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +2 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,369Gear list
Like?
GH4? A GH5, or, more probably, GH7... but a "4" is very doubtful.
In reply to Hirogen8472, Sep 13, 2013

I agree with everything else that you wrote, although 4k video might be a stretch, although it'd be nice.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +4 more
Canadianguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?

Why the question?

The GH3 is targeted to people who value video above stills in their camera.

The EM1 is not targeted to the samel crowd.

Different cameras for different market segments.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads