What happens to the Lumix 14-42mm Powerzoom?

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions
DouglasG
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
What happens to the Lumix 14-42mm Powerzoom?
Sep 13, 2013

Why Panasonic, leave this lens behind?, why is not offered as kit anymore on G6/GX7? why no a upgraded versions? the idea of a kit zoom small like this one is very convenient, i thinking to buy one for my OM-D mostly as normal zoom to take with me for family photos, street photography, mainly to carry on all the time paired with the Lumix 25mm f1.4(my favorite lens) when have lowlight situation, this two small lenses will make my day.

I own the Olympus 14-54mm(too big) and the Lumix 12-35mm(too expensive) but the main use of those lens is for payed jobs, aren't too convenient to take for everyday use, at least not here in Venezuela.

I already read some reviews of the PowerZoom, and without been a stellar lens is very good, this is a good review that basically used the lens for what i want to:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/06/14/lens-review-panasonic-14-42-3-5-5-6-x-g/

Let me know what are you toughs about this lens.

Greetings.

-- hide signature --

www.cajitacreativa.com
Sony Nex 5n | Olympus OM-D | Lumix GH3
Canon FD Lenses | Lumix Lenses | Olympus Lenses

DouglasG's gear list:DouglasG's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ntsan
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
Re: What happens to the Lumix 14-42mm Powerzoom?
In reply to DouglasG, Sep 13, 2013

Really? On ebay I saw there is 14-42x paired with G6, probably US doesn't have 14-42x since they prefer bigger size?

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
I don't use it a lot

But I do like it. The performance is nice and it's compact. It sees the most use on my IR converted GF-1 because the small size makes it easier to throw in the bag. My biggest peeve is that it doesn't remember the zoom, but that's because I'm using it on such an old body.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +22 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,314Gear list
Like?
It practically lives on my E-M5.

I got this lens after a lot of hesitation (because of shutter shock issues on the GX1). I am very happy with it and since I got the 14-42X I have not used the 12-50 kit lens any more. My pocketable setup consisted of the 20mm f/1.7 but a zoom is more convenient.

When I'm out shooting pictures the 14-42X does have to give way to the 9-18 quite a bit because I like wide angle. But in the backpack I take to work every day it's just the E-M5 + 14-42X + X-Cap.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
hinting
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?

The PZ 14-42 is very good on my Em5 with the 5-axis stabilization.

My copy is not good on my GX1 because of the shutter shock issue.

In fact I tried it on the firmware 0.3 version of GX7, and the shutter shock issue still exist. It is ok with electronic shutter through.

I think Panasonic reserve to pair it for the GF series for the portability, and they also move the stock of standard 14-42 II, as no one will buy them if it is not bundled.

I lost my lens cap, but I brought the x-cap by freemod, and it is a must have accessory!

http://freemod-design.com/web/en/x-cap-en

hinting's gear list:hinting's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M1 +49 more
g_r_w
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Practically lives in my drawer (nt)
In reply to Paul De Bra, Sep 13, 2013
No text.
SterlingBjorndahl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,841Gear list
Like?

Mine exhibits the shutter shock problem on my GH2, but it works very well on my E-PL1 as a "pocket camera".

Tennessee Warbler

Sterling
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-1 +7 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,314Gear list
Like?
Then either it is bad or you have shutter shock.
In reply to g_r_w, Sep 13, 2013

It is such a handy lens that it can only live in your drawer if it's no good. That can be because you have a bad copy. It can also be because your camera isn't a good combo with this lens because of shutter shock. When you put a good copy of the 14-42X on a camera without shutter shock (or with anti-shock delay like my E-M5) it makes for such a wonderful small combination that it is hard to resist, especially given the bargains you can get on this lens.

-- hide signature --

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
M Hamilton
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?
Re: Practically lives in my drawer (nt)
In reply to g_r_w, Sep 14, 2013

g_r_w wrote:

Interested in selling it?

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028Gear list
Like?
Re: Then either it is bad or you have shutter shock.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Sep 14, 2013

Paul De Bra wrote:

It is such a handy lens that it can only live in your drawer if it's no good. That can be because you have a bad copy. It can also be because your camera isn't a good combo with this lens because of shutter shock. When you put a good copy of the 14-42X on a camera without shutter shock (or with anti-shock delay like my E-M5) it makes for such a wonderful small combination that it is hard to resist, especially given the bargains you can get on this lens.

-- hide signature --

Okay, I'll bite.  I think I'll give it a whirl on my E-M5 when the E-M1 is ordered.

What is considered a bargain on this lens, and where are you finding them?

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 +17 more
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042Gear list
Like?
mine got returned
In reply to DouglasG, Sep 14, 2013

I waited with baited breath for this lens because of its compactness, but the shutter shock was so bad on my E-P2 that I returned it. Everyone reports it works much better on the OMD.

It's just good enough resolution-wise, and suffers from fairly considerable but fairly correctable CA. But as you see from Ming's shots, it's often good enough. Do remember that Ming is very much a professional photographer, though. Most working pros make fairly ordinary zooms look pretty good - as they in reality are these days. It's just hard for me to settle for pretty good after having tried stuff like the Pentax DA*16-50 (in my DSLR days) and the 12-35 Panasonic. All up to you.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,877Gear list
Like?
In reply to hinting, Sep 14, 2013

hinting wrote:

My copy is not good on my GX1 because of the shutter shock issue.

I lost my lens cap, but I brought the x-cap by freemod, and it is a must have accessory!

http://freemod-design.com/web/en/x-cap-en

I bought the lens for use on a GX1 and ordered the X-Cap. Returned the lens. The X-Cap now lives in my drawer

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads