FZ200 / LX7 scene mode "Through glass"

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,684Gear list
Like?
FZ200 / LX7 scene mode "Through glass"
Sep 12, 2013

My FZ200 and LX7 both have a "Through glass" scene mode. Whenever I am shooting through glass I switch to it. However, it occurs to me that as part of my photographic education I should probably know what settings the camera invokes to implement it.

Can anyone tell me what "Through glass" does, or should do, to the settings?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,886Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 / LX7 scene mode "Through glass"
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Sep 12, 2013

As a *guess* it's focusing on infinity or some shorter range, to avoid focusing on the glass itself.

Apparently a bad guess -- because manual says "The camera may focus on the glass if it is dirty or has dust on it."

Shoot a picture in that mode and see what the EXIF info says re camera settings.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,684Gear list
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 13, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

Shoot a picture in that mode and see what the EXIF info says re camera settings.

I am assuming it isn't just exposure settings. Here is one each, first the LX7 then the FZ200.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,543
Like?
"Through glass" WITH CARE!
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 13, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

As a *guess* it's focusing on infinity or some shorter range, to avoid focusing on the glass itself.

Apparently a bad guess -- because manual says "The camera may focus on the glass if it is dirty or has dust on it."

-- hide signature --

Phil

I would agree, I'd "guess" it's focusing on infinity & so should just be lumped in with Landscape mode.

None of the EXIF programs I have show what "mode" was used - particularly annoying when you have shot some "HDR" or "Night Shot" pictures & would like to be sure which they are.

In most cases, it's easy enough to simply hold the lens closer to the glass than the closest Macro distance - but, with care: taking pictures as my plane maneuvered over the Channel Islands while approaching Los Angeles airport, turbulence whacked my ZS19 lens into the window and the lens has refused to come out since: "Zoom Error"

So, I had to buy a new camera 

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,886Gear list
Like?
Re: "Through glass" WITH CARE!
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Sep 13, 2013

Erik Ohlson wrote:

I would agree, I'd "guess" it's focusing on infinity & so should just be lumped in with Landscape mode.

None of the EXIF programs I have show what "mode" was used - particularly annoying when you have shot some "HDR" or "Night Shot" pictures & would like to be sure which they are.

I don't use the Panasonic software because my computers are Macs and I prefer Photoshop for RAW. I wonder if the Panny software provides mode info? I know EXIF Viewer does not.

In most cases, it's easy enough to simply hold the lens closer to the glass than the closest Macro distance - but, with care: taking pictures as my plane maneuvered over the Channel Islands while approaching Los Angeles airport, turbulence whacked my ZS19 lens into the window and the lens has refused to come out since: "Zoom Error"

So, I had to buy a new camera

I'm very sorry to hear that, Erik. I think I had that happen once or twice but without ill effect.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,341Gear list
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Sep 13, 2013

I too was of the impression that the "through glass" function stopped you from focusing in too closely, however I just tried it on my FZ200 and it fired off multiple shots, just like the "hand held nightshot" setting. Now I have no idea what its supposed to do. I have a suspicion that by taking multiple shots, the camera might pick what it thinks is the "best" one and saves that shot. That would probably be the cleanest shot. This is not based on any evidence at all, but I simply can't think of a reason for the camera taking so many shots like that.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads