How does Tokina 80-200mm ATX perform on A900 and A850?

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Questions
stan_pustylnik
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,459Gear list
Like?
How does Tokina 80-200mm ATX perform on A900 and A850?
Sep 12, 2013

Does anyone from A900 or A850 users still keep Tokina 80-200mm ATX PRO lens?

Is AF of this lens useful for indoor sports photography?

-
Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.
http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha 7 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,541
Like?
Re: How does Tokina 80-200mm ATX perform on A900 and A850?
In reply to stan_pustylnik, Sep 12, 2013

Stan I know the 100-300 atx f4 is quite fast between 100-200mm then unless it has contrast hunts through the range ..(af limiter would be nice) The micro focus motor is very smooth and  quite quiet also.

I can imagine being a 80-200atx, it will be very accurate and responsive, that is an assumption based on my tokina though. They are built to last for sure. Good luck,brian

I wouldn't hesitate to get one but am very happy with my 75-200 2.8/3.5

with atx 100-300

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stan_pustylnik
Like?
In reply to brian14478, Sep 13, 2013

brian14478 wrote:

Stan I know the 100-300 atx f4 is quite fast between 100-200mm then unless it has contrast hunts through the range ..(af limiter would be nice) The micro focus motor is very smooth and quite quiet also.

I can imagine being a 80-200atx, it will be very accurate and responsive, that is an assumption based on my tokina though. They are built to last for sure. Good luck,brian

I wouldn't hesitate to get one but am very happy with my 75-200 2.8/3.5

with atx 100-300

Nice photos Brian, sharp and colorful. not sure at this point about Tokina 80-200mm AT-X PRO lens, because of PF/CA reported at dyxum and some softness at f/2.8 while at 200mm end that I will certainly use during indoor sports.

-- hide signature --

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.

brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,541
Like?
In reply to stan_pustylnik, Sep 13, 2013

I have read and seen the same . Some say not bad at all and sharp open throughout-many as you said a touch soft and ca/fringe often.

At pentax lens reviews on the tokina there is a higher rating and overall assessment.  Maybe some is a slight back/front focus that will rear its ugly head with such a focal length and aperature??   A tough decision seeing as the prices are excellent for used ones and the build quality is stellar.

The reviews pretty much agree that stopped down a touch no matter how 2.8 fares the iq/contrast and color is excellent.  If you don't mind the weight and could try one with a 7/14 day return? That could be worth return shipping cost probably and possibly a nice addition to your lens line-up.

Tough call...thanks,brian

*af speed reviews are all over the board also..much I think depends on camera bodies used.

Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,722
Like?

Hi Stan,

back in 2006/2007 I used to own the Tokina for some time using it on my KM7D. While solid and heavy, my copy suffered from some CA/PF - which seems pretty typically for this lens. To some amount (or perhaps even in increased scale) the combination "digital - inner lens coatings" may be an issue (blooming) due to retro-reflections from the much more reflecting sensor surface (in comparison with film)  back to the lens so that the inexistant or not optimized for digital coatings augment inside multiple reflections. This could interfere with IQ in especially in specific bad lighting situations. OTOH the lens was sharp and provided great colours and contrast. As far as I remember there was some weird mode for engaging / desengaging AF to avoid the focus section of the barrel rotate in AF mode.

Since the KM7D as APS-C sensor camera used only the (better) central portion I could imagine that on FF possible flaws would be augmented.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

stan_pustylnik
Like?
In reply to Michael Fritzen, Sep 13, 2013

Michael Fritzen wrote:

Hi Stan,

back in 2006/2007 I used to own the Tokina for some time using it on my KM7D. While solid and heavy, my copy suffered from some CA/PF - which seems pretty typically for this lens. To some amount (or perhaps even in increased scale) the combination "digital - inner lens coatings" may be an issue (blooming) due to retro-reflections from the much more reflecting sensor surface (in comparison with film) back to the lens so that the inexistant or not optimized for digital coatings augment inside multiple reflections. This could interfere with IQ in especially in specific bad lighting situations. OTOH the lens was sharp and provided great colours and contrast. As far as I remember there was some weird mode for engaging / desengaging AF to avoid the focus section of the barrel rotate in AF mode.

Since the KM7D as APS-C sensor camera used only the (better) central portion I could imagine that on FF possible flaws would be augmented.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

I can imagine CA on FF could be a serious issue because usually CA effects are stronger toward corners. Sounds that New Tamron, Sigma, Sony or even Minolta 80-200mm - would be safer choice.

-- hide signature --

Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,722
Like?

Hi,

well it depends a bit on the price. Usual internet offers I don't consider anymore. However when something interesting appears in a physical store in addition with the possibility for thorough testing and eventually returning I wouldn't discard it. You may have luck and get one of the better ones. Then again I guess the safer bet is one of the newer ones.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Paige Wood
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
In reply to stan_pustylnik, Sep 14, 2013

I had the 80 -200 ATX pro and 300 2.8 ATX Pro on A 700 ( from Dynax 9 days ) and they were both excellent and very well made. Great on the Dynax 9 with film, but no expereinec on FF D,

Cheers,

Tony

stan_pustylnik
Like?
In reply to Paige Wood, Sep 17, 2013

Paige Wood wrote:

I had the 80 -200 ATX pro and 300 2.8 ATX Pro on A 700 ( from Dynax 9 days ) and they were both excellent and very well made. Great on the Dynax 9 with film, but no expereinec on FF D,

Cheers,

Tony

It is weird that not many DPR/Sony members tried Tokina 80-200mm AT-X PRO f/2.8 lens of FF bodies. Tokina is very well known Pro quality lens maker.

I would be more than interested to try this lens on A850 for indoor sports.

-- hide signature --

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,594Gear list
Like?
In reply to stan_pustylnik, Sep 17, 2013

From what I read on the forums is that the earlier Tokinas suffer from CA/PF as they were designed for film.  I only have experience with the 400 5.6 while not a bad lens does have this problem and is easy to cure with modern PP.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291Gear list
Like?
In reply to stan_pustylnik, Sep 18, 2013

Ahoy!

I have no doubt it would perform brilliantly based on my own experience with Tokina lenses on my A850.

I've owned/used the 19-35mm, SD 35-200mm, SD 70-210mm and currently own the AT-X 300mm F4 AF (AF 304) and they're a superb product which are built to a very high standard and ooze quality.  The Tokina lenses are quite cheap compared to others of the same class (there are a few AT-X 80-200mm F/2.8 AF (AF 828) lenses on evilBay right now for not a lot of money, but that said, I find 200mm is generally too short as more often than not you'll need extra focal length, but in case you aren't aware, there are 2 AT-X versions; the standard AT-X 80-200/2.8 AF and the PRO version, though there's essentially nothing to choose between them.  There is also the Mk 1 gloss black red-ring SD version.

As rare as my AT-X 300/4 is (and it's a cracking tele-prime BTW), if you're after a quality tele-zoom, you'll be better off with either a Sigma AF 100-300mm F4 EX DF (IF) APO or the Tokina AT-X 100-300mm F4 AF-II (AF 340), but the Tokina 100-300/4 is even rarer than the AT-X 300/4, though it costs less than the Sigma 100-300/4 EX DG APO, but both are equally as good as each other.  If however a 120mm focal range is sufficient for your needs (don't forget that you'll be stopping the lens down anyway to get greater IQ which applies with most fast lenses to improve IQ and reduce CA/PF which the Tokina's handle extremely well, then you'll not do much better than the Tokina 80-200/2.8.

Tokina lenses are excellent performers and if you ever find them for a silly low price, then snap it up as they're a great investment.  Those of us that have owned and used these lenses know all too well how good they are, and bang for buck you'll not do much better, so I say . . go get one and be very, very happy.  Oh, and because they're screw-drive, the physical seed of the lens is very fast, so like my prime, when tracking and framing a fast subject, set the focus mode to CAF and the lens will keep up (or at least a prime does), but I'm confident a Tok 80-200/2.8 will also be as quick and these are almost identical in quality to Minolta G lenses but are a fraction of the Minolta G prices.  The one exception is the Tokina AT-X 300/2.8 AF which is rubbish compared to the Minolta AF 300/2.8 APO or APO HS G versions in terms of IQ, but I think is better in terms of build and finish (the rugged AT-X exterior is very hard wearing).

-- hide signature --

Mark (aka Pirate!)

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Adobe Photoshop CS6 Topaz Adjust +22 more
capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,723Gear list
Like?
In reply to Calico Jack, Sep 19, 2013

I have that AT-X Pro 80-200 2.8, I purchased from a Vendor with the MF Engagement slipped loose for a Bargain and was an easy repair , That part of the lens is frustrating there is no mark to engage the MF one must hunt and pull till you find the slot but the AF is fast and snappy and is a bit smaller than other 2.8's in that focal range , The Bokah is in a league of it's own and does well in low light but as stated it does CA in a backlit Sky , If you can work around that and know it's faults you will enjoy the lens it has a lot of Character , I purchased the Tamron 70-210 2.8 at the same time with intentions of selling the one I like the least , I still have them both , I do use the Tam more often having a focus limiter and the added 20 mm range , Build quality is great on the Tok and as most 2.8's a heavy lens , I added the 28-70 2.8 and the 11-16 2.8 Tok in the last year  I am using it on a 77 though , One Perk it does work with an APO 1.4 Teleconverter very well.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +27 more
stan_pustylnik
Like?
In reply to capt bob, Sep 19, 2013

capt bob wrote:

I have that AT-X Pro 80-200 2.8, I purchased from a Vendor with the MF Engagement slipped loose for a Bargain and was an easy repair , That part of the lens is frustrating there is no mark to engage the MF one must hunt and pull till you find the slot but the AF is fast and snappy and is a bit smaller than other 2.8's in that focal range , The Bokah is in a league of it's own and does well in low light but as stated it does CA in a backlit Sky , If you can work around that and know it's faults you will enjoy the lens it has a lot of Character , I purchased the Tamron 70-210 2.8 at the same time with intentions of selling the one I like the least , I still have them both , I do use the Tam more often having a focus limiter and the added 20 mm range , Build quality is great on the Tok and as most 2.8's a heavy lens , I added the 28-70 2.8 and the 11-16 2.8 Tok in the last year I am using it on a 77 though , One Perk it does work with an APO 1.4 Teleconverter very well.

capt bob, that is actually very promising review, especially in AF section, because for me AF performance indoors (artistic gymnastics) is most important, because this is where lens will be used 90% of time. I have plenty of other lenses that I can use outdoors...

-- hide signature --

Maxxuman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
In reply to stan_pustylnik, Sep 19, 2013

You'll have seen that capt bob says he's using his on A77, so that doesn't address your original query about experiences using it on FF.  I have the 80-200 2.8 AT-X Pro but haven't used it for a long time.  I didn't reply earlier because I don't have an FF body to try it on.  I used to use it for concerts and got some good results with it.  Certainly the AF worked fine.  But about 5 years ago I found a good deal on a Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO IF and switched to that.

One reason for the change was that on APS-C I found I often wanted the extra 10mm on the wide end.  But the Sigma also had much less (almost zero) purple fringing.  And the bulky screw in hood was a bit of a pain on the Tokina, compared to the reversible twist on one that the Sigma came with.  I checked the Tokina on my A700 a year or so back and found that it didn't seem as sharp as I'd remembered until stopped down.  Based on capt bob's findings I should perhaps try it on my A77 and see if the AF micro adjust helps with that, although since I don't really have a use for it I'm perhaps better off just selling it.

-- hide signature --

Barry

stan_pustylnik
Like?
In reply to Maxxuman, Sep 19, 2013

Maxxuman wrote:

You'll have seen that capt bob says he's using his on A77, so that doesn't address your original query about experiences using it on FF. I have the 80-200 2.8 AT-X Pro but haven't used it for a long time. I didn't reply earlier because I don't have an FF body to try it on. I used to use it for concerts and got some good results with it. Certainly the AF worked fine. But about 5 years ago I found a good deal on a Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO IF and switched to that.

One reason for the change was that on APS-C I found I often wanted the extra 10mm on the wide end. But the Sigma also had much less (almost zero) purple fringing. And the bulky screw in hood was a bit of a pain on the Tokina, compared to the reversible twist on one that the Sigma came with. I checked the Tokina on my A700 a year or so back and found that it didn't seem as sharp as I'd remembered until stopped down. Based on capt bob's findings I should perhaps try it on my A77 and see if the AF micro adjust helps with that, although since I don't really have a use for it I'm perhaps better off just selling it.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry, with my experience with older A-mount lenses, KM 7D and A850  bodies I found that these old lenses work better on FF than on APSc due additional content (not as big enlargement of lens faults in content detail). Yes CA/Pf could be pain in a base, especially on APSc- due 1.5 enlargement on image). On other side CA/Pf effects are more visible toward corners, so who knows at this point if Tokina PRo would be good for me....  However since indoor sports environment is not too contrast - should work fine for me.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads