70D - loss of Spot AF - vs. 7D

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
timmer350
Contributing MemberPosts: 591Gear list
Like?
70D - loss of Spot AF - vs. 7D
10 months ago

Hi 7D & (prospective)70D Bird photogs

I take a lot of bird photos (currently using a 50D), and was wondering if those that have a 7D could comment on the Spot AF ability - and if i would miss it on the 70D? Does the Spot AF make that much of a difference when taking photos of birds in tough situations (thru grass, bush, trees)?

I don't see much comment on reviews about this loss, so I was wondering if bird photographers use it - a lot? A little?

Also, might be relevant - but I dont have a super tele - 300 f4 IS is what I can afford.

Thanks!

Tim

timmer350's gear list:timmer350's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pastynator
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?
Re: 70D - loss of Spot AF - vs. 7D
In reply to timmer350, 10 months ago

timmer350 wrote:

I take a lot of bird photos (currently using a 50D), and was wondering if those that have a 7D could comment on the Spot AF ability - and if i would miss it on the 70D? Does the Spot AF make that much of a difference when taking photos of birds in tough situations (thru grass, bush, trees)?

I don't see much comment on reviews about this loss, so I was wondering if bird photographers use it - a lot? A little?

Also, might be relevant - but I dont have a super tele - 300 f4 IS is what I can afford.

Thanks!

Tim

Spot AF does make a difference with distractions around the subject yes. It can also be good with species that have exotic/unusual/bulky plumage or fur etc and you want to focus on the eyes for example.

I don't use spot often in the distractions case because i like photos with a cleaner look, but i have used it before where a branch was so out of focus it wasn't visible due to the thin dof. Normal single point AF kept trying to focus on the branch which was near my minimum focussing distance.

So to answer your question, i don't use it often but it's not something i'd want to be without now

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,446Gear list
Like?

timmer350 wrote:

Thanks!

Tim

Hopefully someone will test the size of the 70D single AF point.

The 7D single AF point is very large extending way beyond, not only the AF square, but, sometimes into adjacent AF squares. It really needed a spot AF, which is more closely confined to the AF square.

If the 70D single AF point is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes it may be less of an issue.

Until, someone posts some actual test results it's hard to know for sure.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
timmer350
Contributing MemberPosts: 591Gear list
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 10 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

timmer350 wrote:

Thanks!

Tim

The 7D single AF point is very large extending way beyond, not only the AF square, but, sometimes into adjacent AF squares. It really needed a spot AF, which is more closely confined to the AF square.

If the 70D single AF point is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes it may be less of an issue.

Good point - thanks. Not in a hurry, so will wait and see.

T

timmer350's gear list:timmer350's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 28,071
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 10 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

timmer350 wrote:

Thanks!

Tim

Exactly right, you can really only judge the importance of a feature like spot AF when you know how the system performs in default mode.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bugbait
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?

You might do well to rent both cameras at the same time. Then try each focusing mode on the same test subjects like stuffed animals and picking a particular branch out among the others. Doing both types of test in the shade as well as in daylight. And do these test as you would be using the camera. If you rarely shoot from a tripod, do the test without a tripod.

I too was concerned about this and thought, hmm maybe I would do better buying a used or new 7D? But after processing some of my images from my new EOS-M and finding none of the color banding in the shadows I had seen on earlier versions of the 18 megapixel sensor from Canon I simply will not pay top dollar for the old sensor. The 7D is a great package, fast and rugged. But the sensor is not as clean as the 60 that followed, and the 60D is not as clean as the EOS-M & SL1. And the 70D is even cleaner with more pixels and other benefits. I base those conclusions on studying the sample images from DPR and elsewhere. I have not handled the 70D yet.

If I owned the 7D and the 70D, I may still very well take it out for certain dedicated afternoons tracking the fast and small subjects, but not very often, and if I expected to use the images beyond a single look over, it would need to be a bight day. If I owned the 7D it would be difficult for me to decide whether or not to sell it and buy the 70D, but I would likely do that knowing how nice the Canon touchscreen interface is and how visible it is in direct sunlight, plus you can rotate it away from the sun.

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads