First Leica C sample pictures and short review.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
robert van keulen
Regular MemberPosts: 311
Like?
First Leica C sample pictures and short review.
10 months ago

Hi,

on a brand new photography Flipboard magazine for mobile and computer use (TC Passie voor Beeld) i found a short first impression/ review of the new Leica C camera. (It is in Dutch but Google translate works ok.)

In it are some pictures of the camera and some nice cases (i like the rubber/metal sliding one), a set of camera LCD screen shots with Wi-Fi settings and a link to a High Res sample set.

I like the design which looks a lot like a small Leica M.

Check it out at:

http://flip.it/iOH95

Robert.

robert van keulen
Like?
Re: First Leica C sample pictures and short review.
In reply to robert van keulen, 10 months ago

There seems to be something wrong with the images and text for the Leica C topics in this magazine.

It has for the rest a nice selection of new images, tips, reviews etc.

you can also go directly to the article :

http://leicainnederland.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/leica-c-gebruikers-review-met-high-res-voorbeeldfotos/

Robert

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?

Thanks

is there any diopter adjustment ?

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,724Gear list
Like?
In reply to le_alain, 10 months ago

le_alain wrote:

Thanks

is there any diopter adjustment ?

Yes, a small wheel to the left of the VF.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
robert van keulen
Like?
In reply to le_alain, 10 months ago

Yes there is a diopter adjustment, it is very tiny and on the left of the EV. A little bit hard to adjust, but in that way you cannot set it accidentally.

the EV is small so with my glasses on it is difficult to look through it.

Robert.

digitri
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
And what about Panasonic Lf1?

Not a single word in the article about the Panasonic Lf1, which is what this camera basically is.

Any truly neutral photographic raporter would have at least mention it and point out any differences between the two cameras - if there were any.

Mischa Bronstring
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?

Thanks for pointing out these samples! And, being Dutch, being able to skip Google translate works nicely;).

The first thing that I noticed is the very heavy CA on the images. Look at the 'moustache' of the cat: I bet it's not cyan in reality...

Aside from that, the camera is quite tempting (but will not going to replace my GRD IV, which handles CA a lot better).

Regards,

Mischa

boarderphreak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,730
Like?
Re: And what about Panasonic Lf1?
In reply to digitri, 10 months ago

It has nothing to do with being neutral.  This is a review of the LEICA, not the Panasonic.

-- hide signature --
digitri
Like?

robert van keulen wrote:

Hi,

on a brand new photography Flipboard magazine for mobile and computer use (TC Passie voor Beeld) i found a short first impression/ review of the new Leica C camera. (It is in Dutch but Google translate works ok.)

Check it out at:

Robert.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the links, the review and the sample photos!

I just wish you have made it clear that you wrote it yourself (instead of " i found a short first impression/ review of the new Leica C camera") and that you work for Transcontinenta.

For anyone interested, Transcontinenta is the importer and distributor of Leica cameras in Netherlands (also of Tamron ans Carl Zeiss and other great quality photographic equipment). Transcontinenta is also the publisher of TC Passie voor Beeld , where this review is published.

BTW, the link works now and it's a beautiful flipboard magazine indeed!

I looked at the sample photos on flickr and they are mostly very nice. I noticed however, some highlight clipping, specially in the cat's outdoor shots and one the man on the ladder shots

cat's chest whites have lost all detai

see the man's shoulder and right shirt sleeve

Apart from that the IQ seems nice, though I was not so impressed with the evening shot of the musicians on the bridge.

So Robert, as the PR man of Leica in Holland, could you please convince me why I should pay 599 euros for the Leica C instead of 359 euros for the Panny Lf1?

Thanks a lot!

robert van keulen
Like?

Hi Digitri,

you are correct that i did the test myself. Transcontinenta is distributor of many brands and Leica is one of them. We are not Leica Netherlands and i am not a professional photographer. I am just a guy who loves taking pictures.

The sample pictures you see are all straight out of camera with the camera in the A or P mode. A lot of them i took at F2.0 just to see what kind of small DOF you can get. This causes as a side effect chromatic aberrations. When you use F4 or F5.6 it is a lot less visible. Also if you use other settings on the camera you can change the looks, contrast of the image. Also there is no RAW converter support yet to get the best quality out of the files. So this is just  a fast trial with all on auto. Also this was taken with  a very first camera, so not a production model. It could be that the final versions have a newer firmware version.

Why would someone buy a Leica camera? In this case it has a very nice and unique Audi design, you have a large selection of very nice cases,  it comes free with Adobe Lightroom 5 (worth 100 euro) , you get a good warranty and it will keep its value in the future.  It is like why buy a specific brand of car or watch, they all get you from a-b or give the correct time but it gives you a different experience.

all in all

thanks for the compliments on the images and our brand new flipboard magazine.

have a great  weekend you all.

Robert.

digitri wrote:

robert van keulen wrote:

Hi,

Check it out at:

Robert.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the links, the review and the sample photos!

I just wish you have made it clear that you wrote it yourself (instead of " i found a short first impression/ review of the new Leica C camera") and that you work for Transcontinenta.

For anyone interested, Transcontinenta is the importer and distributor of Leica cameras in Netherlands (also of Tamron ans Carl Zeiss and other great quality photographic equipment). Transcontinenta is also the publisher of TC Passie voor Beeld , where this review is published.

BTW, the link works now and it's a beautiful flipboard magazine indeed!

I looked at the sample photos on flickr and they are mostly very nice. I noticed however, some highlight clipping, specially in the cat's outdoor shots and one the man on the ladder shots

cat's chest whites have lost all detai

see the man's shoulder and right shirt sleeve

Apart from that the IQ seems nice, though I was not so impressed with the evening shot of the musicians on the bridge.

So Robert, as the PR man of Leica in Holland, could you please convince me why I should pay 599 euros for the Leica C instead of 359 euros for the Panny Lf1?

Thanks a lot!

digitri
Like?
In reply to boarderphreak, 10 months ago

It has nothing to do with being neutral.  This is a review of the LEICA, not the Panasonic.

-- hide signature --

Yes, I know it`s a LEICA, thank you for pointing it out!

However, because I was under the impression that the OP is linking us to an outside review that he found, and because I was on the verge of buying the Panasonic Lf1, which SEEMS to be identical to the Leica C, in all but the paint-job, I was naturally expecting at least a brief mention of the differences between the two - if any.

Now that I know that the the OP is an employee of the firm that sells Leica in Netherlands and that he wrote the review himself, I understand fully why he did not mention the other camera

I realise that even though these two cameras have exactly the same specs, it is possible that there is a meaningful difference (quality of the optics is one that comes to mind). That is the main reaon why I am posting in this thread at all. The OP is in a position to know of such differences, if any, and I would love to hear it from him.

I am NOT a troller, I am just a consumer who needs to make a decision.

Thank you for understanding.
--
-digitri
http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/4954275746/photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-dg

digitri
Like?

Thank you robert, it is all clear now I also noticed in flickr that the exif was ver 0.0 , usually meaning pre production, and that explains a lot too. Thanks also for pointing about the free Lightroom, that makes a difference too.

Cheers and a nice weekend to you too!
--
-digitri

l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 16,984Gear list
Like?
Robert

First of all, thank you for all the information you are giving us about this camera! I was very interested in lf1/c on the paper and because of the size. But unfortunately, I was disappointed of the IQ when I saw the lf-1  samples in the Internet. I find DL6 has a better IQ and for the small size, sony is doing a better job with RX100 and larger sensor.

This is only my own feelings and I wish C was a better camera that it really is!

The differences you mentioned between "Panasonic" and "Leica" are very true. I have been using Dlux 3, 4, and 5 for years. Besides all the points you mentioned, I must also add the excellent Leica Customer Care and Servicing! Everyone with a "Panasonic" that I know has been very unsatisfied of Panasonic servicing!... Also, the resell value is a very serious matter!

If leica decides to have its own version of GX7, I will be the first to order! But as Panasonic, I really hesitate!... Oh, BTW, did I mention that the Leica firmware is also different, besides the beautiful body design!

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
robert van keulen
Like?

I just played with the camera some more to get a better dynamic range for jpg images.

First thing you can do is set the camera to use i Exposure and set a small minus correction. This will automatically brighten the shadows and darken the highlights. The difference is subtle.

If you want to have more control use this "advanced" technique:

You go to the "Col" setting and chose dynamic range, then set a - 2/3 correction, it seems at first that this is not possible , but the moment you press the small dial at the back you can set a correction. then i also adjusted the aperture to a smaller one then standard chosen. Then i set the saturation some what higher.

Robert

Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 1,917Gear list
Like?

digitri wrote:

It has nothing to do with being neutral. This is a review of the LEICA, not the Panasonic.

-- hide signature --

Yes, I know it`s a LEICA, thank you for pointing it out!

However, because I was under the impression that the OP is linking us to an outside review that he found, and because I was on the verge of buying the Panasonic Lf1, which SEEMS to be identical to the Leica C, in all but the paint-job, I was naturally expecting at least a brief mention of the differences between the two - if any.

Now that I know that the the OP is an employee of the firm that sells Leica in Netherlands and that he wrote the review himself, I understand fully why he did not mention the other camera

I realise that even though these two cameras have exactly the same specs, it is possible that there is a meaningful difference (quality of the optics is one that comes to mind). That is the main reaon why I am posting in this thread at all. The OP is in a position to know of such differences, if any, and I would love to hear it from him.

I am NOT a troller, I am just a consumer who needs to make a decision.

Thank you for understanding.
--
-digitri

It is functionally identical to the Panasonic. The optics, the electronics, and the mechanics are the same. There is no special Leica firmware or QC. Possibly the default jpeg settings may be adjusted, which you can do yourself in about one minute. The only differences are external cosmetic ones.

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,724Gear list
Like?

digitri wrote:

Not a single word in the article about the Panasonic Lf1, which is what this camera basically is.

Any truly neutral photographic raporter would have at least mention it and point out any differences between the two cameras - if there were any.

When my 'C' arrives I'll do a youtube and written review, then I'll take photos with the 'C' and LF1 side by side and post the full size originals for comparison. I know where the LF1's weaknesses are in its lens, so I'm curious to see if Leica improves on that. I also am curious whether Leica's default colors will be different using the same settings.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
robert van keulen
Like?
Re: New batch of Leica C sample pictures

Hi, i just uploaded a new set of JPG images i shot with the Leica C camera. Yesterday it was the national monument day. I also have taken images with the high dynamic range mode of the camera. This is not the HDR mode which takes 3 images, this mode only takes one. I minor thing about this mode is the fact that the camera always uses ISO400 and this cannot be changed. (i know that this is normal because in Fujifilm EXR camera's the High dynamic mode also only works in high iso)

All jpg files are edited with LR5 which comes with the camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/transcontinenta/sets/72157635485576923/with/9770525333/

Enjoy the images

Robert

Stollen1234
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?

the design is different and you get also adobe lightroom with it:

Leica has just unveiled a new compact camera, the Leica C, and it appears to be the iconic camera makers take on the Panasonic LF1. Continuing its long tradition of building off Panasonic cameras, the Leica C takes the innards of the LF1, and puts it in a new, Audi designed shell.

Though one little thing that does make some inroads to making up the difference between the Panasonic and Leica versions: the Leica C ships with a copy of Lightroom.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/09/new-gear-leica-c-audi-designed-rebranded-panasonic-lf1

Stollen1234
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?

thank you for the images..

i am considering to buy a compact leica camera to take it with me all the time . i have a canon DSLR which i use it a lot..but i need a camera which i could take with me all the time..photography is a hobby..so i was considering Leica d-lux 6 or this leica c ..what are the differences between the two and which one could be the better choice for general photography..like urban city photos..street phtos..maily in good normal light conditions.

thank you

robert van keulen
Like?
In reply to Stollen1234, 10 months ago

Hi,

This is a difficult one to answer.

The Leica D-Lux 6 can give you better images straight out of the camera if you know how to set it up. (Noise reduction OFF, Sharpness standard or +1)

I personally like the extra 24mm wide angle and the more light sensitive 90mm. The sensor size is the same as from the Leica C. If you want more zoom and work in RAW then the Leica C could be a very good choice. The camera is very fast in response and gives good images with a very nice zoom range.

p.s.

The Leica C also ahs a build in EV which can be useful and a better LCD.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Stollen1234 wrote:

thank you for the images..

i am considering to buy a compact leica camera to take it with me all the time . i have a canon DSLR which i use it a lot..but i need a camera which i could take with me all the time..photography is a hobby..so i was considering Leica d-lux 6 or this leica c ..what are the differences between the two and which one could be the better choice for general photography..like urban city photos..street phtos..maily in good normal light conditions.

thank you

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads