FZ150 takes FIRST & SECOND spot in same DPR CHALLENGE

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
FZ150 takes FIRST & SECOND spot in same DPR CHALLENGE
10 months ago

with OOC Jpegs merely cropped and resized. And with no lens attachments in place at the time of shooting.

Although I’m naturally chuffed with those results, I Just thought I’d bring this to the forum. Not because I wish to boast or garner praise and complements for my images, but more because I again want to encourage more Panasonic compact and bridge camera users to enter DPR challenges.

If you genuinely believe as I do – that the likes of FZ models really can produce excellent results even when up against DSLRs, and not only when displayed at the screen sizes seen here – there’s no shame in entering your small sensor efforts along with those shot with infinitely more expensive equipment. I’ve said many times on this forum that if users can work around the few small sensor limitations, Panasonic FZ models produce the goods in exceptionally reliable fashion. In all honesty I never feel in any way under-gunned because I refuse to use a DSLR. Give me a FZ150 over cumbersome and much heavier gear any day the week.

And if you’re unsure of entering your photos because you feel that the DPR challenge voting system in is any way fixed, that’s certainly not my experience of the process. If it helps, this is my second challenge win, and just as with the first, I did not tell a soul that I had entered either one and entrants cannot vote for their own images. So, whilst I cannot say for certain at this stage that some entrants never attempt to garner votes from friends and other sources, in my limited experience of these things, chances are that your image will gain a top ten spot or may even win a challenge outright through its own merits.

Then of course, there’s the fun element to entering, where winning or being placed highly amongst the rankings is completely secondary to the overall enjoyment of mere participation. One’s reward then comes from not having taken things too seriously, and if you adopt the mindset of entering challenges just to see what happens and to learn from your experiences, you have nothing whatsoever to lose… not even your pride. Just pick the image/s you feel is most appropriate to the theme of the challenge and off you go.

Plus, with DPR being such a busy site where the thousands of challenge entries are viewed by millions of folks every month, there’s arguably no better way to show users of other models that Panasonic cameras not only rock but also represent great value for money even when set against any other manufacturer’s photographic wares.

So go on folks, get entering those challenges; you might just enjoy the whole process and have heaps of fun to boot. Oh, and you just might win too!

Happy snapping and kind regards always

Stevie Boy

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=8655&View=Results&Rows=4

windmillgolfer
Senior MemberPosts: 8,603Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ150 takes FIRST & SECOND spot in same DPR CHALLENGE
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Congratulations Stevie, well deserved.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DutchMate
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,429
Like?
In reply to windmillgolfer, 10 months ago

Excellent work Stevie, well deserved!

This year i only observed some small ones without housing.

-- hide signature --

maarten

fulvio51
Contributing MemberPosts: 925Gear list
Like?

Very fine pics, congrats!

Fulvio

fulvio51's gear list:fulvio51's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,576Gear list
Like?

I question the thread title, though: It's the photographer, not the camera, who took first and second. Sometimes we're too equipment vs. skill focused

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 3,667Gear list
Like?

Well done Stevie. Those were great shots.You should be proud!!

Congrats!!!

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +8 more
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,810
Like?

Congratulations on your "Clean Sweep"!

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?

Congrats, Steve!    I *JUST* looked at that photo prior to reading this message.  Excellent.

On a whim I entered two challenges this week.  First time ever entering a photo-anything.   And I did my first "staged" photo of any type.  Makes ya think to have an assignment, lol

I am not sure I get the way voting works, or is supposed to work, but I will find out when the challenges are over.  It is fun to see what people submit, and to think about what makes a photo attractive.  I think it will help me be a better photographer.

Your photos are very nice,

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
NeiMc
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

Two superb pieces of photography Stevie,,

ysal
Senior MemberPosts: 6,621
Like?

Congratulations Stevie, wonderful shots!  Just goes to show you, it's the photog, not the camera!

I routinely enter in DPR challenges and find it very educational.  If you post in the right hosts' challenges, cheaters are usually not a problem.

-- hide signature --

yuki

Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 3,234Gear list
Like?

Outstanding shots Stevie. It goes to show that its not the camera, but the photographer that matters.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
in_focus
Forum ProPosts: 16,107
Like?

Well deserved and earned first place, Stevie - congratulations ..

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

wrosenthal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795Gear list
Like?

That's remarkable! To win one of these is brutally tough. To get both 1st and 2nd is a real tribute to you. Congratulations.

Bill

-- hide signature --

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2267/2142652747_99b2e0e58e_t.jpg
60 Years of Photography at:
http://flickr.com/photos/bill_rosenthal/collections/
'Sometimes you get the light, sometimes the light gets you.'

wrosenthal's gear list:wrosenthal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +2 more
Jack Brandt217
Forum ProPosts: 10,295
Like?

An achievement to be proud of SBB. Good work.

Jack

myssvictoria
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,311Gear list
Like?

Remarkable feat, Stevie Boy! You and your FZ150 were always winners to me.

-- hide signature --
 myssvictoria's gear list:myssvictoria's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +7 more
sttweston
Contributing MemberPosts: 968
Like?

nice work, I enjoy your style/take/approach on these challenge things, you obviously have a good eye for this type of photography.. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

snap
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,928Gear list
Like?

Wow, congratulations Stevie! That is quite a feat to take first and second - you have proven your artistry and skills. Excellent shots!

Rick

snap's gear list:snap's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX580 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 +19 more
Tim A2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097
Like?

Are all or most of your photos OOC?  I looked in your gallery and was very impressed.

tim

Stevie Boy Blue
Like?
Re: Windmillgolfer, DutchMate and fulvio51
In reply to fulvio51, 10 months ago

Thank you all for the kind words.

Stevie Boy Blue
Like?
Re: PC Wheeler
In reply to PC Wheeler, 10 months ago

You’re welcome to question whatever you like to question in terms of any thread I open, PC. Regardless of your opinion, however, I believe that along with any technical ability any photographer possesses, the clarity of the lens and overall capability of any camera to produce clean and sharp looking images helps greatly in terms of the final result.

In this respect and in my experience, FZ’s – especially the 150 with its superb OOC Jpegs – are great for promoting user confidence, and despite the small sensor compared to DSLRs, which I believe are employed by more challenge entrants than compact models. So, as it stands, and particularly in relation to the points I mentioned in the OP (which were to encourage small sensor Panasonic camera users to enter challenges), I see nothing wrong with the thread title myself. Cheers…

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads