Why does my GH2 (with an adapter and legacy lens) have aperture locked to '0.0'

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Questions
olivepuns
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Why does my GH2 (with an adapter and legacy lens) have aperture locked to '0.0'
Sep 12, 2013

Hello

I'm a bit new to camera-speak and just recently getting into the technical elements of my GH2. I've had a Nikon E Series 28 mm lens given to me as a gift (with a separate adapter to mount to my GH2) for the past year, and just recently noticed that the aperture doesn't actually seem to switch when I manually toggle between f-2.8 all the way to 22.

I've tried switching between A and M mode.

I have "shoot without lens' function on (because the camera disables altogether if I don't have the option 'on' and use this lens+adapter combo).

When I take photos, the aperture shows up at 0.0. I can't electronically control the aperture (which I understand is something you do manually with legacy lenses) but it doesn't seem to make a difference in my images. The pictures seem to be locked at f - 2.8

Is this an issue with my lens, adapter, or camera settings? Stressed. Any help is appreciated

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
aljudy
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Re: Why does my GH2 (with an adapter and legacy lens) have aperture locked to '0.0'
In reply to olivepuns, Sep 12, 2013

Lenses without electrical contacts, like old lenses, cannot tell the camera the aperture value and the GH2 inserts 0.0 for the aperture as default. There are programs that allow you to change this data. Search for editing EXIF information in files. If you use Lightroom, there is a pluggin that can even enter the lens information into the files as well as the aperture used, but you need to remember it. If i remember, I record a short video where I say what lens and what aperture was used...  Al

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer of family mainly

aljudy's gear list:aljudy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,909Gear list
Like?
Re: Why does my GH2 (with an adapter and legacy lens) have aperture locked to '0.0'
In reply to olivepuns, Sep 12, 2013

Welcome to the Forum!

Very normal when using a lens which has no electrical connection to camera. Use A mode, set aperture mechanically on lens and you'll be fine.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
olivepuns
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to olivepuns, Sep 13, 2013

I figured it out! 
I'll leave this up for any other newbs like me. It turns out the "Lock/open" function on the adapter WASN'T to lock/open and release the lens from falling off.. it's to lock and open in order to change the F stop (that your camera will detect)

So for others that might be similarly challenged, switch to A mode (M might also work I think), OPEN your adapter, then manually move aperture ring and voila.

Case closed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads