Lumix 1, FZ250 0.

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions
Castaway
Senior MemberPosts: 1,922Gear list
Like?
Lumix 1, FZ250 0.
Sep 12, 2013

Yes today I met up with the Panasonic Lumix rep.

The news is that there is no plans for the FZ200 replacement in the Lumix roadmap. (Or the FZ50)

We  spoke about the different distribution between the U.S. and Canada.  Here we have reps to visit the various stores and promote the brand. I guess in the States you have distributors hence the lack of available models to handle.

Yes I was able to handle the LF1 and the LX7, the FZ200 and the FZ70 and others were also available.

-- hide signature --
 Castaway's gear list:Castaway's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30
utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
No plans for the FZ200 replacement Re: Lumix 1, FZ250 0.
In reply to Castaway, Sep 12, 2013

Why No plans for the FZ200 replacement ?

and is this forever or this year only ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hatstand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
No FZ200 replacement - this year? or never?
In reply to utomo99, Sep 12, 2013

utomo99 wrote:

Why No plans for the FZ200 replacement ?

and is this forever or this year only ?

What he said ^

I might need to buy a backup FZ200...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Reason for FZ250
In reply to Castaway, Sep 12, 2013

Maybe Panasonic did not have good reason to upgrade ?

Lets give them some reason.

1. + Eye sensor

2. Better/ Larger EVF

3. Add WiFi

And also try to use new sensor technology for lower noise on high iso

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Castaway
Senior MemberPosts: 1,922Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to utomo99, Sep 12, 2013

His initial comment was that it would not be for a while, later he said that it was not on the road map.

My understanding was that nothing was coming this year, but maybe next.

He did tell me that they had just brought out the  FZ70 but of course I already knew that.

I had been looking at the LF1 the LX7 and the Canon G15, he tried to get me interested in a 4/5 G model, not sure which one as I don't follow them.

-- hide signature --
 Castaway's gear list:Castaway's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,978Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to Castaway, Sep 12, 2013

Castaway wrote:

I had been looking at the LF1 the LX7 and the Canon G15, he tried to get me interested in a 4/5 G model, not sure which one as I don't follow them.

Micro 4/3 G model, I assume. Early this year I acquired the top-of-the-line GH3 and have 8 lenses for it -- covering 18-600 mm equiv plus some niche lenses -- and sold my FZ200. As it turns out I just bought a new FZ200. The G models are nice, but you still need multiple lenses -- not the same as carrying a single camera with 25-600 mm capability.

BTW -- I can think of no improvement in the FZ200 which would motivate me to upgrade short of a 25-1200 mm f/2.8 lens with articulated LCD, 1.4 mp EVF, etc.

-- hide signature --

Phil

 PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to utomo99, Sep 13, 2013

utomo99 wrote:

Maybe Panasonic did not have good reason to upgrade ?

Lets give them some reason.

1. + Eye sensor

2. Better/ Larger EVF

3. Add WiFi

And also try to use new sensor technology for lower noise on high iso

Sorry I forget one important reason.

Panasonic must release FZ250 because.

If Panasonic did Not release it, people will think that this series is Die / not success or Panasonic did not listening to user

Note: I think still OK to wait for next year to release FZ250

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,978Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to utomo99, Sep 13, 2013

utomo99 wrote:

If Panasonic did Not release it, people will think that this series is Die / not success or Panasonic did not listening to user

Perhaps from a Panasonic point of view the FZ200 has not succeeded. I have no info on that one way or another. Perhaps they've decided that the FZ70 is where they need to go next in the superzoom competitive game, for whatever reason.

Not my opinion, so I bought my new FZ200 after selling the first in March or so. And the really good part is that the new one has clearly better IQ

-- hide signature --

Phil

 PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 2,685Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 13, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

BTW -- I can think of no improvement in the FZ200 which would motivate me to upgrade short of a 25-1200 mm f/2.8 lens with articulated LCD, 1.4 mp EVF, etc.

There are plenty of things on my pie-in-the-sky wishlist, but in terms of the current generation of technology I've always felt that calls for an FZ200 upgrade this year were premature. Maybe they could extend the zoom out to 30x at 2.8, but the camera would have to be bigger. And sure, we could see an incremental sensor improvement, but that's all it would be: incremental. I've got some fantastic looking 11x14" prints here and I doubt I'd even notice a mere incremental improvement even at that size.

WiFi features would be nice, but the truth is that they'd probably just be a short-lived novelty for me like they were on the LF1. I freaked out a few relatives by remote controlling the camera with my smartphone, and got a kick out of transferring a few images to my PC over my home wireless network, but now I just wish I could remove the wireless features from the UI entirely because they just clutter it up. To each his own I guess.

Bring out an FZ200 update once there's room to really update it, I say, and not before.

EDIT: Oh, and the truth is that it just might not ever happen anyway. Most consumers are idiots and too few of them probably realize just how useful such a fast lens really is. I mean even among those who should be more knowledgeable we've seen a ridiculous inferiority complex emerge as a result of IQ comparisons at base ISO with other superzooms with much slower lenses, so aside from some possibly valid points about how Panasonic could improve their marketing, maybe a camera like the FZ200 is just never gonna sell as well as those it's competing against.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clint009
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 13, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

utomo99 wrote:

If Panasonic did Not release it, people will think that this series is Die / not success or Panasonic did not listening to user

Perhaps from a Panasonic point of view the FZ200 has not succeeded. I have no info on that one way or another. Perhaps they've decided that the FZ70 is where they need to go next in the superzoom competitive game, for whatever reason.

Not my opinion, so I bought my new FZ200 after selling the first in March or so. And the really good part is that the new one has clearly better IQ

-- hide signature --

Phil

Two weeks ago I went to by a Lumix, I try the new FZ70 and as well the Canon and Sony model all of them with a 1200mm lens.

Finally, I've bought the FZ200 because I found out that I don't need the 1200mm for my own need. I don't want to carry a tripod all the time if I want a steady shot with the FZ70.

But none of FZ200 left nowhere in my area (10 stores). I had a good deal with my purchase of the demo FZ200.

 Clint009's gear list:Clint009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clint009
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to Clint009, Sep 13, 2013

Clint009 wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

utomo99 wrote:

If Panasonic did Not release it, people will think that this series is Die / not success or Panasonic did not listening to user

Perhaps from a Panasonic point of view the FZ200 has not succeeded. I have no info on that one way or another. Perhaps they've decided that the FZ70 is where they need to go next in the superzoom competitive game, for whatever reason.

Not my opinion, so I bought my new FZ200 after selling the first in March or so. And the really good part is that the new one has clearly better IQ

-- hide signature --

Phil

Two weeks ago I went to by a Lumix, I try the new FZ70 and as well the Canon and Sony model all of them with a 1200mm lens.

Finally, I've bought the FZ200 because I found out that I don't need the 1200mm for my own need. I don't want to carry a tripod all the time if I want a steady shot with the FZ70.

But none of FZ200 left nowhere in my area (10 stores). I had a good deal with my purchase of the demo FZ200.

Could be Panasonic have no interest to put a new model (FZ250) because if the sales are that good and out of stocks.

 Clint009's gear list:Clint009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to utomo99, Sep 13, 2013

utomo99 wrote:

Maybe Panasonic did not have good reason to upgrade ?

Lets give them some reason.

1. + Eye sensor

2. Better/ Larger EVF

3. Add WiFi

And also try to use new sensor technology for lower noise on high iso

I think it's obvious now that Panasonic, like most major corporations, has no allegiance to its most devoted customer base. It really doesn't matter what we want. Like patriarchs, the corporate heads will decide what we "need" and what we will buy, and buy in sufficient numbers to maintain their personal and business lifestyles. We, the customer, have no voice with Panasonic. Rarely do customers have sway. Coca Cola was persuaded to return to producing Classic Coke after what appeared to be an international rebellion. But, this is rare. The only way that I can see Panasonic's designing and manufacturing an upgrade to the FZ200 is if Nikon, Canon, or Sony produces a model that is greatly superior to the rather "average" models that they now offer and it vastly outsells the current FZ. Panasonic has joined the ranks of the "ho hum". Afterall, why offer a superior product if people are willing to buy cheaper, more "basic" models than the "exceptional" ones. It is a fact--Panasonic is not Leica!

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to Castaway, Sep 13, 2013

Panasonic wants to sell more G models and more lenses along with them. There is no incentive to produce a camera that will undercut those sales. Thus, the brakes have been applied to the quality upgrade path and we have the FZ70--long on zoom, short on features.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,978Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to Clint009, Sep 13, 2013

Clint009 wrote:

Clint009 wrote:

Two weeks ago I went to by a Lumix, I try the new FZ70 and as well the Canon and Sony model all of them with a 1200mm lens.

Finally, I've bought the FZ200 because I found out that I don't need the 1200mm for my own need. I don't want to carry a tripod all the time if I want a steady shot with the FZ70.

But none of FZ200 left nowhere in my area (10 stores). I had a good deal with my purchase of the demo FZ200.

Could be Panasonic have no interest to put a new model (FZ250) because if the sales are that good and out of stocks.

I ordered my FZ200 from Amazon a week or so ago and it shipped right away. The next day there was a 2-4 week wait at that price (others had it at >$100 more than I paid). I don't know if Panasonic has a slow production strategy, to keep prices up, or if they are no longer making FZ200s.

I think the former: I had to wait 3-4 weeks for my GH3, and I hear that deliveries of the latest Panny m4/3 camera (GX7) has been delayed, too (though that may be only the kit version).

But I'd not bet money on there ever being an FZ200 successor with f/2.8 lens, articulated LCD, etc. Wouldn't bet against it, either

-- hide signature --

Phil

 PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boldyog
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 13, 2013

anybody here thinks focus box should be changed to focus dot? this fz250 improvement would make focusing more accurate.

i found out lately that my subject becomes slightly out of focus because the cam focuses on the adjacent object just in front or back of my subject. i pay more attention to my focusing now even when using the smallest focus box. or maybe it is just me....

otherwise, i am very satisfied with my fz200.

 boldyog's gear list:boldyog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fabio Pirovano
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to Vandyu, Oct 13, 2013

There's no superior Cameras compared to FZ200

Upgrade may have a larger sensor like Samsung EX1 or the old Lumix LX2 if I can compared to anything of great I'm still using..but for me FZ200 is top notch and great.

-- hide signature --

FP

 Fabio Pirovano's gear list:Fabio Pirovano's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung TL350 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,595
Like?
Re: Wait for Sensor Tech to Improve
In reply to Castaway, Oct 13, 2013

For me, upgrading the FZ200 can wait until the sensor tech improves enough to provide better high ISO IQ and DR.  With the f2.8 lens, the FZ200 is great for me.

Dale

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bruckshaw1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,060Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait for Sensor Tech to Improve
In reply to Dale108, Oct 13, 2013

I have a suspicious mind about this.

Panasonic themselves are not saying anything about a FZ200 replacement and yet here is a rep (who is easily identified to the company by his car registration plate) apparently giving away company information.

My take on it is that he really did not know but was making a guess. Make no assumptions but watch this space.

Eric

 bruckshaw1's gear list:bruckshaw1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,998Gear list
Like?
Re: Reason for FZ250
In reply to boldyog, Oct 13, 2013

boldyog wrote:

anybody here thinks focus box should be changed to focus dot? this fz250 improvement would make focusing more accurate.

i found out lately that my subject becomes slightly out of focus because the cam focuses on the adjacent object just in front or back of my subject. i pay more attention to my focusing now even when using the smallest focus box. or maybe it is just me....

otherwise, i am very satisfied with my fz200.

Problem with a focus dot is that the contrast-detect auto-focus of the FZ series needs an area within which to compare contrast - just a dot won't do.  If the FZ250 switched to phase-detect AF, now then we'd have something.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

 kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,971
Like?
Re: Lumix 1, FZ250 0.
In reply to Castaway, Oct 13, 2013

Glad I found this thread. I previously owned the FZ200 and thought it was a great camera. I sold it after direct comparison to the Canon SX50 since my main requirement was very long reach. The Canon has a great lens and excellent IQ, but is weak in the feature department. FZ200 is a much better all around camera with Panorama, HS HD video, great burst choices, better EVF etc. Of course the constant f2.8 lens is an excellent feature.

I'll keep my Canon SX50 but plan to buy another FZ200 since there doesn't seem to be a new model coming soon.

Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads