Olympus E-M1 or …

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,604
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …

Donald Chin wrote:

As a M4/3 user, I asked a similar question on Micro 4/3 forum, and some replies were, quite understandably, just a little bit biased

So I would like to rephrase the question a bit:

- If you are on the market for a new camera,

- and you are not yet “married” to a particular lens system,

- and you are considering Olympus E-M1, what other camera would you buy if Olympus did not come up with the E-M1? In other words, what cameras does E-M1 compete with?

Thank you!

At its price, I don't see it can compete with any larger sensor cameras in the market.

-- hide signature --

So buying a D4 or a D800E is just folly? The D600 can be had at a fraction of their price and the sensor is the same size, so...

So you think D4 and D800E are competing with D600 in the same market segment?

Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,604
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …

ultimitsu wrote:

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

- If you are on the market for a new camera,

- and you are not yet “married” to a particular lens system,

- and you are considering Olympus E-M1,

That is not possible. There simply is not reason for this to happen, whatsoever. I mean it.

what other camera would you buy if Olympus did not come up with the E-M1? In other words, what cameras does E-M1 compete with?

EM1 is not competing against any other non-m43 camera. People who are not atteched to EM1 has zero reason to consider it. The only people would consider EM1 are those who already own m43 system and considering upgrade body. EM1 is competing against GH3 and EM5.

What, you mean like the E-M5, GH3, etc are not supposed to compete with DSLRs?

***Looks at all the users who have moved to M4/3s from DSLRS***

If you say so....

How M4/3 can compete with DSLR? The market already tell the truth.
--
http://www.fotop.net/DonaldChin

ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto OP Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

 In other words, what cameras does E-M1 compete with?

Thank you!

Thanks for all the replies. I am stunned that nobody mentioned Canon 5DMkIII & 1D, or Nikon D3S & D4 as direct competitors for E-M1... How come?

Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,604
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

In other words, what cameras does E-M1 compete with?

Thank you!

Thanks for all the replies. I am stunned that nobody mentioned Canon 5DMkIII & 1D, or Nikon D3S & D4 as direct competitors for E-M1... How come?

Just curious, in which way you think OM-D E-M1 can compete with camera like 1Dx or D4?

ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto OP Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …

Donald Chin wrote:

Just curious, in which way you think OM-D E-M1 can compete with camera like 1Dx or D4?

Donald,

I will gladly explain.

I was considering E-M1 very seriously. I am a Canon DSLR shooter, and have a few good lenses. I am also a M4/3 user. I was waiting for a M4/3 camera which would provide reasonably fast (PDAF) focusing on moving targets. If E-M1 would do everything I need, I was prepared to sell my Canon gear and expand my M4/3 system. I am getting older, and caring Canon with a few lenses hurts my shoulders and neck.

But Olympus disappointed me by not including a built-in flash. I use pop-up flash a lot - not as a main lighting device, but for back-lit scenes, for dealing with harsh lighting and high contrast, or to light up the foreground in landscape. Of course, I use a flash gun for more demanding situations, but when I would like to travel light, a pop-up flash is a must for me - especially in the system which advantage is low weight and size. E-M1 already has a "hump" for the viewfinder, so it should be not a big deal to make it a bit wider to accommodate the flash.

The funny part is, when I asked the question at M4/3 forum, most replies were, basically, that E-M1 is a "professional" camera, and, therefore, does not need built-in flash. Seriously? I should conclude, then, that E-M1 competes with 1Dx and D4 - the high-end professional full-frame DSLRs without pop-up flash. Obviously, E-M1 is ranked way higher than D800 and D600, not even talking about something like D7100 or 70D, all of which have the flash.

Therefore, the money Olympus would get will be split between Canon (for 70D) and that company which makes Ibuprofen

Bob Greenberg Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …
1

I was lucky to try the EM1 out with the Oly rep and it's hdr function seems to do quite a good job, so it's possible you can satsfy your needs without flash.  Fyi, it was a very impressive session, I placed my preorder!

-- hide signature --

Bob

 Bob Greenberg's gear list:Bob Greenberg's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 7,597
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …
2

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

Donald Chin wrote:

Just curious, in which way you think OM-D E-M1 can compete with camera like 1Dx or D4?

Donald,

I will gladly explain.

I was considering E-M1 very seriously. I am a Canon DSLR shooter, and have a few good lenses. I am also a M4/3 user. I was waiting for a M4/3 camera which would provide reasonably fast (PDAF) focusing on moving targets. If E-M1 would do everything I need, I was prepared to sell my Canon gear and expand my M4/3 system. I am getting older, and caring Canon with a few lenses hurts my shoulders and neck.

But Olympus disappointed me by not including a built-in flash. I use pop-up flash a lot - not as a main lighting device, but for back-lit scenes, for dealing with harsh lighting and high contrast, or to light up the foreground in landscape. Of course, I use a flash gun for more demanding situations, but when I would like to travel light, a pop-up flash is a must for me - especially in the system which advantage is low weight and size. E-M1 already has a "hump" for the viewfinder, so it should be not a big deal to make it a bit wider to accommodate the flash.

The funny part is, when I asked the question at M4/3 forum, most replies were, basically, that E-M1 is a "professional" camera, and, therefore, does not need built-in flash. Seriously? I should conclude, then, that E-M1 competes with 1Dx and D4 - the high-end professional full-frame DSLRs without pop-up flash. Obviously, E-M1 is ranked way higher than D800 and D600, not even talking about something like D7100 or 70D, all of which have the flash.

Therefore, the money Olympus would get will be split between Canon (for 70D) and that company which makes Ibuprofen

Flash photography is an extremely important part of photography and any experienced photographer knows this.

Just the same, the small built-in flash units are not put on many cameras because those small flash units are considered more of an armature feature than a necessary feature.

People serious enough about photography to spend a couple thousand dollars on a camera and a good lens or two, will usually want to buy a proper flash for their camera and aren't interested in the small pop up flashes.

Naturally, there are many people who say they won't buy a camera without the built-in flash and that's OK because there are cameras made for every level of photography.

There are also people who don't think they need a flash and that's also OK, because as long as they're happy with their pictures, that's all that counts.

Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 10,318
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

Donald Chin wrote:

Just curious, in which way you think OM-D E-M1 can compete with camera like 1Dx or D4?

Donald,

I will gladly explain.

I was considering E-M1 very seriously. I am a Canon DSLR shooter, and have a few good lenses. I am also a M4/3 user. I was waiting for a M4/3 camera which would provide reasonably fast (PDAF) focusing on moving targets. If E-M1 would do everything I need, I was prepared to sell my Canon gear and expand my M4/3 system. I am getting older, and caring Canon with a few lenses hurts my shoulders and neck.

But Olympus disappointed me by not including a built-in flash. I use pop-up flash a lot - not as a main lighting device, but for back-lit scenes, for dealing with harsh lighting and high contrast, or to light up the foreground in landscape. Of course, I use a flash gun for more demanding situations, but when I would like to travel light, a pop-up flash is a must for me - especially in the system which advantage is low weight and size. E-M1 already has a "hump" for the viewfinder, so it should be not a big deal to make it a bit wider to accommodate the flash.

The funny part is, when I asked the question at M4/3 forum, most replies were, basically, that E-M1 is a "professional" camera, and, therefore, does not need built-in flash. Seriously? I should conclude, then, that E-M1 competes with 1Dx and D4 - the high-end professional full-frame DSLRs without pop-up flash. Obviously, E-M1 is ranked way higher than D800 and D600, not even talking about something like D7100 or 70D, all of which have the flash.

Therefore, the money Olympus would get will be split between Canon (for 70D) and that company which makes Ibuprofen

Try the fl300r. It's a really good option if you want a tiny but useful flash.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +6 more
Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,604
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …

Donald Chin wrote:

Just curious, in which way you think OM-D E-M1 can compete with camera like 1Dx or D4?

Donald,

I will gladly explain.

I was considering E-M1 very seriously. I am a Canon DSLR shooter, and have a few good lenses. I am also a M4/3 user. I was waiting for a M4/3 camera which would provide reasonably fast (PDAF) focusing on moving targets. If E-M1 would do everything I need, I was prepared to sell my Canon gear and expand my M4/3 system. I am getting older, and caring Canon with a few lenses hurts my shoulders and neck.

But Olympus disappointed me by not including a built-in flash. I use pop-up flash a lot - not as a main lighting device, but for back-lit scenes, for dealing with harsh lighting and high contrast, or to light up the foreground in landscape. Of course, I use a flash gun for more demanding situations, but when I would like to travel light, a pop-up flash is a must for me - especially in the system which advantage is low weight and size. E-M1 already has a "hump" for the viewfinder, so it should be not a big deal to make it a bit wider to accommodate the flash.

The funny part is, when I asked the question at M4/3 forum, most replies were, basically, that E-M1 is a "professional" camera, and, therefore, does not need built-in flash. Seriously? I should conclude, then, that E-M1 competes with 1Dx and D4 - the high-end professional full-frame DSLRs without pop-up flash. Obviously, E-M1 is ranked way higher than D800 and D600, not even talking about something like D7100 or 70D, all of which have the flash.

Therefore, the money Olympus would get will be split between Canon (for 70D) and that company which makes Ibuprofen

If I were you, I would buy the GX7 instead, unless you have a lot of 4/3 lenses, on sensor PDAF is not necessary IMO.

CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,600
Re: Well, it depends on what attracts you to the E-M1

Macx wrote:

Is it the splash-/dust-/frost-proofing?

Is it the "wireless tethering"?

Is it the large viewfinder?

Is it all the buttons?

Is it the image stabilisation?

Is it the sensor performance?

Is it the frames per second?

Is it the auto-focus system?

Is it the looks?

Is it the price?

There are lots of alternatives to the E-M1, but you need to tell us what's important to you.

Exactly.

But then, I think the failure of people to really consider all these and other factors is why people end up with "someone else's camera". By that I mean they end up with a great camera based on listening to the recommendations of someone else that might not really be the best camera for them.

I'm an Olympus user, but I'm not wedded to the brand to the point of not considering other options. At this point in time, the EM1, with both current and upcoming lenses, offers the best set of features (in both body and lenses) for my personal goals and needs at this time.

Most of my work is performance photography. There are certain expectations in that genre, yet some of those expectations are not set in stone. Conventional wisdom of the past few years says that my best choice would be a FF kit. As true as that may be, my personal way of working, together with aspects of the venue where I am on staff, lend toward a smaller, less obtrusive body and lenses.

With compactness in mind, alternatives to the EM1 for me would be the Panasonic G6 and/or GX7, or the latest NEX bodies that include EVF.

In regards to IQ performance, it would be a toss up between the Nikon D600 and Canon 6D, with the Nikon D7100, perhaps the Canon 70D or even the Sony SLT A58 as APS-C alternatives.

The bottom line is that deciding on a camera involves a series of factors that are often subjective. What good is owning a camera kit that has the best IQ if you feel it is too unwieldy to be comfortable using. Frankly, the EM1 and other comparably featured/priced cameras are more camera than 95% of the people out there actually need.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Donald Chin
Donald Chin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,604
Re: Well, it depends on what attracts you to the E-M1

Macx wrote:

Is it the splash-/dust-/frost-proofing?

Is it the "wireless tethering"?

Is it the large viewfinder?

Is it all the buttons?

Is it the image stabilisation?

Is it the sensor performance?

Is it the frames per second?

Is it the auto-focus system?

Is it the looks?

Is it the price?

There are lots of alternatives to the E-M1, but you need to tell us what's important to you.

Exactly.

But then, I think the failure of people to really consider all these and other factors is why people end up with "someone else's camera". By that I mean they end up with a great camera based on listening to the recommendations of someone else that might not really be the best camera for them.

I'm an Olympus user, but I'm not wedded to the brand to the point of not considering other options. At this point in time, the EM1, with both current and upcoming lenses, offers the best set of features (in both body and lenses) for my personal goals and needs at this time.

Most of my work is performance photography. There are certain expectations in that genre, yet some of those expectations are not set in stone. Conventional wisdom of the past few years says that my best choice would be a FF kit. As true as that may be, my personal way of working, together with aspects of the venue where I am on staff, lend toward a smaller, less obtrusive body and lenses.

With compactness in mind, alternatives to the EM1 for me would be the Panasonic G6 and/or GX7, or the latest NEX bodies that include EVF.

In regards to IQ performance, it would be a toss up between the Nikon D600 and Canon 6D, with the Nikon D7100, perhaps the Canon 70D or even the Sony SLT A58 as APS-C alternatives.

The bottom line is that deciding on a camera involves a series of factors that are often subjective. What good is owning a camera kit that has the best IQ if you feel it is too unwieldy to be comfortable using. Frankly, the EM1 and other comparably featured/priced cameras are more camera than 95% of the people out there actually need.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Most people need is just a smartphone not a camera, definitely there will be less and less players in the camera market in the near future.

CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,600
Re: Well, it depends on what attracts you to the E-M1

Donald Chin wrote:

Most people need is just a smartphone not a camera, definitely there will be less and less players in the camera market in the near future.

-- hide signature --

I agree, though I find it odd that some people appear threatened by this. When I read people dismissing smartphones because of the IQ (compared to their DSLR or other camera) I wonder "So what?. That person is happy having a camera that is always with them, convenient to use and gets the job done."

I'm using my smartphone more for photos. In fact, I selected it with one of its main criteria being photo capability. For me it's not just convenience: I use apps to experiment with making images (no, not Instagram) that embrace both the foibles and advantages of a smartphone.

It will be interesting to see how Samsung's Galaxy camera phone, which is more of a camera with a built in phone rather than a phone with a camera, sells after release.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 10,563
Re: Olympus E-M1 or …

No. I say equating sensorsize to value of a totalpackage is nonsense. In this way, D4, D800E and D600 should not have been in a different marketsegment but in the same.

 Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads