Amazon.com a rip off!!!

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions
DavidH202
Senior MemberPosts: 1,078Gear list
Like?
Amazon.com a rip off!!!
Sep 12, 2013

they are misrepresenting the list price on many items and then indicating they are giving a discount which is actually the real MSLP in the first place and no bargain at all....Misleading and downright wrong!!!!

I have brought this to their attention before on the FL-50 flash and now they are doing it with the price of the OMD EM-1 saying it is 1499.99 and giving $100 off ...

I have purchased many items from them in the past, but will never do business with them again !!!

knittinggirl
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
Re: Amazon.com a rip off!!!
In reply to DavidH202, Sep 12, 2013

Noticed that.  Combine that w/ the added Sales Tax, and I'll be looking elsewhere.  I do like the 2-day shipping though.

knittinggirl's gear list:knittinggirl's gear list
Olympus Stylus 800 Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-620 Nikon D5100 Olympus E-M1 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

DavidH202 wrote:

they are misrepresenting the list price on many items and then indicating they are giving a discount which is actually the real MSLP in the first place and no bargain at all....Misleading and downright wrong!!!!

I have brought this to their attention before on the FL-50 flash and now they are doing it with the price of the OMD EM-1 saying it is 1499.99 and giving $100 off ...

I have purchased many items from them in the past, but will never do business with them again !!!

I just checked Amazon and and it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Compact-System-Camera-3-Inch/dp/B00EQ07PG2

$1399 for a preorder with free shipping.

B&H has the same $1399 preorder price with free shipping: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Olympus+OM-D+E-M1&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I checked a few more and they all sell it for $1399.  I gather you don't like Amazon saying the "list price" was $1499, but how do you know it wasn't?  What is the "list price"?  Who establishes it?  Probably Olympus; so the conclusion I would draw if I was interested is that the initial "list price" coming out of Olympus was $1499.  I see no reason to assume otherwise.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
WhyNot
Senior MemberPosts: 2,950
Like?
SOP

This is SOP on Amazon for new products. You have to understand that Amazon like E-BAY, is a bazaar. If you really want something and don't know the price you want to pay going in your better off staying out....I know of no requirement that a retailer, or any sales organization, has to tell its customers the truth, let alone the real value of anything...

DavidH202
Like?
Re: SOP
In reply to WhyNot, Sep 12, 2013

I wasn't that way a few years ago, most items were legitimately "discounted".
They are now taking advantage of their previous reputation because people are taking it for granted they are "cheaper". Wal Mart does the same thing.

This is totally beside the fact that just about all electronics and photo gear is price fixed at just about every retailer these days.

buyer beware! The general public out there is so blind as to the games the retailers are playing and getting away with it isn't funny!

DavidH202
Like?
In reply to Historicity, Sep 12, 2013

Historicity wrote:

I checked a few more and they all sell it for $1399. I gather you don't like Amazon saying the "list price" was $1499, but how do you know it wasn't? What is the "list price"? Who establishes it? Probably Olympus; so the conclusion I would draw if I was interested is that the initial "list price" coming out of Olympus was $1499. I see no reason to assume otherwise.

Lawrence

Your damn right I don't like it, when the Olympus site says it is $1399.99

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m1.html?icn=homepage&ici=billboards_em1

non of the others are quoting that price!, and it is fraudulent for Amazon to say otherwise!!

WhyNot
Like?

DavidH202 wrote:

I wasn't that way a few years ago, most items were legitimately "discounted".
They are now taking advantage of their previous reputation because people are taking it for granted they are "cheaper". Wal Mart does the same thing.

This is totally beside the fact that just about all electronics and photo gear is price fixed at just about every retailer these days.

buyer beware! The general public out there is so blind as to the games the retailers are playing and getting away with it isn't funny!

If you've been around Amazon that long then you are probably aware that if any seller had a couple early copies of the production E-M1 they would be selling it at a $200 premium or more and would call that price the MSRP .... The price is what the seller says it is! The buyer can take it, negotiate, or walk away....  Why get up tight?  It's always worked that way.

RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?

A normal retail outlet of note would be charged for doing this, and many have.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
DavidH202
Like?
In reply to WhyNot, Sep 12, 2013

Horse pucky.   I've been a retailer all my working life,45+ years.

MSRP is exactly what it implies- a fixed price recommended by the  manufacturer, not the retailer.

It is not an arbitrary, fictitious, made up price by the retailer !!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,929Gear list
Like?
$1399 here, $1399 there, $1399 pretty much everywhere (USA anyhow).

DavidH202 wrote:

At the end of the day, they are charging $1,399, which is the same price as from Olympus, as well as the other big players.  The practice may indeed smack of being disingenuous, but at the end of the day it is all right there for everyone to see and everyone to make a decision.  The marketplace can then settle out the fallout.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Deviantfotografer
Contributing MemberPosts: 807Gear list
Like?
In reply to DavidH202, Sep 13, 2013

I am a prime member with amazon and have never had any issue with amazon. I will continue to use amazon in the future, but am sorry you had a bad experience with them... better luck in the future where ever you shop!!!

-- hide signature --

take care and happy shooting!!!
Jarrod M Campbell

Deviantfotografer's gear list:Deviantfotografer's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Canon EOS 300D Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +7 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
In reply to DavidH202, Sep 14, 2013

Caveat Emptor

The only price that matters is the price you pay.

The rest is meaningless.  Learn what stuff costs.

TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,139
Like?

Who says that amazon.com's "list price" is referring to the MSRP? Any retailer can set their own "list price."

It's not that I don't understand your outrage. It's similar to prices at the supermarket, where they show a totally inflated supposed list price and the discounted price - just to make the innocent consumer feel better. I'm just really jaded and try to shrug off shifty marketing techniques - but I also do point them out.

TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,139
Like?

DavidH202 wrote:

Horse pucky. I've been a retailer all my working life,45+ years.

MSRP is exactly what it implies- a fixed price recommended by the manufacturer, not the retailer.

It is not an arbitrary, fictitious, made up price by the retailer !!!!!!!!!!!!

The retailer can't lie about the MSRP, I agree with that. Now, "list price" is usually used synonymously, but maybe not in legal terms? I don't know for sure.

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
In reply to TheEye, Sep 14, 2013

TheEye wrote:

DavidH202 wrote:

Horse pucky. I've been a retailer all my working life,45+ years.

MSRP is exactly what it implies- a fixed price recommended by the manufacturer, not the retailer.

It is not an arbitrary, fictitious, made up price by the retailer !!!!!!!!!!!!

The retailer can't lie about the MSRP, I agree with that. Now, "list price" is usually used synonymously, but maybe not in legal terms? I don't know for sure.

List price is often the highest price a competitor is charging for a product. Although if Olympus is selling it for 1399 then that is the list price or should be. Although in a few weeks or months I can see some paying a lot more than that due to product shortages.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
WhyNot
Like?
MSRP in US

I really didn't mean to continue this conversation but there are several entries that imply that there is a legal ramification to misusing the term MSRP in the US. I refer those to the Wikipedia entry and to this site which says “The MSRP has gone the way of the dodo bird. …. “

Here

If you have a better reference I'd like to read it.... Now I've probably been a customer as long or longer than you have been a seller. My memory is that several decades ago deep discounters were damaging sales of local merchants and, of course, wholesalers. Manufactures argued that these discounters hurt the consumer because they couldn't provide the service that their customers deserved and they tried to enforce a minimum price by denying product to those discounters. This restrained trade and was. if I remember correctly. the topic of a congressional hearing and ultimately by the courts and led to the concept of MSRP. If you have a different memory or documented history please share, as I've also been around long enough that my memory can be faulty...

MSRP, to me, represents the minimum price that the manufacturer(M) or distributor(D), or, whoever is setting the MSRP, desires. I'm not sure that the M or D care if the seller sets a higher price and I may be mistaken in believing that I have seen the term MSRP associated with prices higher than those found in the M's literature, as we have in the case the OP sites... I also am not sure what penalty the M can extract from a seller who misrepresents the MSRP or sell below that price without authorization but since a number of products seem to maintain their price I assumed that the M could remove that merchant as a authorized seller and not provide product to him.. However, I'm still unaware of any legal penalty or requirement associated with MSRP (although it wouldn't surprise me to find some state or city has enacted one.) . ... However, if your reference isn't too long or dense I'll gladly read it and change my opinion.... I'm not that old or stubborn.

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,642Gear list
Like?
Re: I try to avoid Amazon

It's not easy;  I'm pretty locked into Kindle, for reading material, for example, but there's lots of reasons for a centrist (I hover between slightly left and slightly right) European to be a little wary of Amazon and its practices. In terms of prices, Amazon is rarely the best these days. And, they have some sharp practices. For example, when I bought my iPad Mini (competitor the excellent Fire HD), I first checked on Amazon, and Amazon displayed those marketplace resellers with the most absurd prices.

Ultimately, I bought my new iPad from the local Apple store.  The salesperson who managed the transaction seemed happy to be working there, and gave me lots of advice and helpful tips. Same for all of my recent photo stuff.  I'd rather buy from a bricks and mortar store, these days (or at least an independent, online retailer who is based in Britain, for tax purposes).

Of course, we can't all do that.  I've been been to Wichita and know what it's like.....

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads