FZ200 intelligent zoom

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions
estero
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?
FZ200 intelligent zoom
Sep 11, 2013

Somewhere I read how the intelligent zoom works but now I can't find it. Does anyone know where it was posted or can give an explanation please post it.

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,886Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 intelligent zoom
In reply to estero, Sep 11, 2013

Try a forum search for intelligent zoom or iZoom.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,341Gear list
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 12, 2013

I've never been able to work out the difference. I think its an in-camera crop, but to me, I can't see the difference between the camera doing a crop and you doing a crop, which is the same as digital zooming. I have run comparisons between the different forms of zooms on this camera and I can see no difference between the results. I tend to use the so called "extra optical zoom" as it gives a degree of control over your zooming. By that I mean once you switch on the izoom, or digital zoom, it becomes very hard to control the degree of zoom using the zoom lever. You find that the zoom will sweep through a large range with the smallest movement of that lever. With the extra optical zoom, a change in the file size will result in a set zoom value. eg 8mp will give you 29.4X, 5mp will give you 37.5x. You can still zoom out further if you wish, by using the izoom, or digital zoom, but the picture will start to deteriorate pretty badly by then.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,718Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Sep 12, 2013

All of the zoom settings are a crop when you pass 24x. What happens with EZ zoom is the camera doesn't interpolate back to the resolution of the entire sensor. . Interpolation is a form of in camera post processing. You can do the same on your computer too. IZoom interpolates the cropped image back to the full sensor resolution size. If you shoot raw with IZoom turned on you get a cropped sensor image when zoomed greater than 24x.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
estero
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Sep 12, 2013

I remember reading that the camera does some internal processing. It is not just cropping.

Ronomy
Like?
In reply to estero, Sep 12, 2013

I remember reading that the camera does some internal processing. It is not just cropping.

Correct! Like I said in IZoom it interpolates the cropped image back up to 12MP and also sharpens the image when you output jpgs. In RAW you get cropped raw files. No enhancement processing applied with RAW file output.

Rodger1943
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Sep 12, 2013

iHere is a comparison between izoom on the left and digital on the right. Both were taken on a tripod with a 2 second timer to help minimise any vibration. I can't see any difference between them. One is as good or as bad as the other. I also tested the same thing using extra optical zoom and these shots. The result is, as far as I can tell exactly the same.

izoom                                                                                   Digital zoom

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Ronomy
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Sep 12, 2013

Well they both interpolate.  Izoom uses ires where digital zoom does not.  Sometime I don't see the effects of ires yet other times i do.  Ires processing changes with each image.

I had originally thought digital zoom was a simple crop until it was pointed out to me a couple months back that it also interpolates back to 12MP.  So other than adding ires processing I don't see how IZoom is any different from digial zoom.  I guess your image proves that.

Rodger1943
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Sep 13, 2013

Ronomy wrote:

Well they both interpolate. Izoom uses ires where digital zoom does not. Sometime I don't see the effects of ires yet other times i do. Ires processing changes with each image.

I had originally thought digital zoom was a simple crop until it was pointed out to me a couple months back that it also interpolates back to 12MP. So other than adding ires processing I don't see how IZoom is any different from digial zoom. I guess your image proves that.

Thanks Ron. I ran the same test with the FZ150, (when I had it) and got a similar result. I have also compared these shots to just enlarging the 24x image and they all look the same. In practice, I tend to have the camera set at 8mp which allows me to zoom a bit closer (29.4x) and that helps me see that my subject (usualy a small bird) is in focus.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Ronomy
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Sep 13, 2013

Rodger1943 wrote:

Ronomy wrote:

Well they both interpolate. Izoom uses ires where digital zoom does not. Sometime I don't see the effects of ires yet other times i do. Ires processing changes with each image.

I had originally thought digital zoom was a simple crop until it was pointed out to me a couple months back that it also interpolates back to 12MP. So other than adding ires processing I don't see how IZoom is any different from digial zoom. I guess your image proves that.

Thanks Ron. I ran the same test with the FZ150, (when I had it) and got a similar result. I have also compared these shots to just enlarging the 24x image and they all look the same. In practice, I tend to have the camera set at 8mp which allows me to zoom a bit closer (29.4x) and that helps me see that my subject (usualy a small bird) is in focus.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

So do you shoot in 8mp all the time now?  When I shoot greater than 24x zoom now using izoom I turn on RAW and process the raw image if I don't like the jpg.

estero
Like?

I noticed that Graham Houghton uses the 9m in most of his videos. I never knew why.

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,886Gear list
Like?
In reply to estero, Sep 13, 2013

estero wrote:

I noticed that Graham Houghton uses the 9m in most of his videos. I never knew why.

Maybe because his videos are 16:9?

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Rodger1943
Like?

Ronomy wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

Ronomy wrote:

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

So do you shoot in 8mp all the time now? When I shoot greater than 24x zoom now using izoom I turn on RAW and process the raw image if I don't like the jpg.

Hi Ron, yes I tend to use the 8mp size all the time now, as I did when I had the FZ150. I find it that as well as giving me some extra zoom, there is no noticeable loss of image quality.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Sep 13, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

estero wrote:

Maybe because his videos are 16:9?

-- hide signature --

Phil

That is the reason, if you set the camera to 16:9, then the image will be 9mp in size.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
In reply to estero, Sep 13, 2013

Most of my shots are of birds, since I'm an avid birder. I find that 16:9 ends up being cropped significantly in most shots since the bird is somewhere near the middle of the frame. I crop the image for framing and composition.

I find that using izoom really helps for birding.With, izoom, I can get as much of the animal in the frame as possible, and make sure the subject is in focus and not a branch or leaf in the foreground. I haven't tried ires yet, and don't see much point in it for birding frankly.

Oh, and let me just add this: Using my Nikon TC-E17ED 1.7X TC + izoom, max effective focal length is 600 *1.7* 4 = 4080mm. With image stabilization switched on I can focus on a bird hand held with pretty damn good results. It's simply amazing to me. If the bird is a spastic bird like a typical flycatcher it's usually not possible to get the shot. Lazy birds like Kingfishers and Herons, though, make great subjects for this mode.

If only the Nikon 1.7 TC wasn't so darn heavy.....

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
In reply to MoreGooderPhotos, Sep 13, 2013

MoreGooderPhotos wrote:

Most of my shots are of birds, since I'm an avid birder. I find that 16:9 ends up being cropped significantly in most shots since the bird is somewhere near the middle of the frame. I crop the image for framing and composition.

I find that using izoom really helps for birding.With, izoom, I can get as much of the animal in the frame as possible, and make sure the subject is in focus and not a branch or leaf in the foreground. I haven't tried ires yet, and don't see much point in it for birding frankly.

Oh, and let me just add this: Using my Nikon TC-E17ED 1.7X TC + izoom, max effective focal length is 600 *1.7* 4 = 4080mm. With image stabilization switched on I can focus on a bird hand held with pretty damn good results. It's simply amazing to me. If the bird is a spastic bird like a typical flycatcher it's usually not possible to get the shot. Lazy birds like Kingfishers and Herons, though, make great subjects for this mode.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

Oops.  I just need to reply to my own reply and correct something.  Apparently, when you switch on izoom you inadvertently also switch on ires, but the sharpening and noise reduction that ires performs only applies to the jpeg image (as you would expect).

-- hide signature --

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Ronomy
Like?
In reply to MoreGooderPhotos, Sep 13, 2013

MoreGooderPhotos wrote:

Oh, and let me just add this: Using my Nikon TC-E17ED 1.7X TC + izoom, max effective focal length is 600 *1.7* 4 = 4080mm. With image stabilization switched on I can focus on a bird hand held with pretty damn good results. It's simply amazing to me. If the bird is a spastic bird like a typical flycatcher it's usually not possible to get the shot. Lazy birds like Kingfishers and Herons, though, make great subjects for this mode.

-- hide signature --

Oops.  I just need to reply to my own reply and correct something.  Apparently, when you switch on izoom you inadvertently also switch on ires, but the sharpening and noise reduction that ires performs only applies to the jpeg image (as you would expect).

-- hide signature --

Izoom extends focal length by a factor of 2 so its a 2040mm equivalent. Resolution drops by a factor of 4. Max izoom crop is 3mp.

tezaroamer
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to MoreGooderPhotos, 3 months ago

MoreGooderPhotos wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thank you very much for this info re extending optical zoom. I also llike to photograph birds so will try out your suggestions

Fred McLean
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
In reply to tezaroamer, 3 months ago

I shoot raw with izoom on and have found it ideal to ensure that the subject can fill the frame for a better focus.  My vision is not perfect so it helps me make sure of what the focus is on.  I find it very useful for certain shots.

-- hide signature --

Regards.
Fred (Essex, UK).
See profile details for equipment.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fred_bear/

Fred McLean's gear list:Fred McLean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 HP Deskjet 3050A - J611 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads