A77 discontinued soon? (After the A65)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
A77 discontinued soon? (After the A65)
10 months ago

Hi Folks !

I get the last one in Switzerland for 665,8 € (body only, taxes including) from "Interdiscount". (Or CHF 799.- or US$)

And two sellers from two differents branches told me that the orders wouldn't be possible anymore.

Others references with kit-lens would be available until they are "out of stock", only.

Already out of stock from many other shops in here:

http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_241793.html

Like the A65, does it will be discountinued soon? Does a repeated scenario, what was happened with the A700?

Regards.

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Samsolar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 discontinued soon? (After the A65)
In reply to Michel J, 10 months ago

Who knows?

Samsolar's gear list:Samsolar's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174Gear list
Like?

A65 is still listed in stock by Sony and Amazon. Not sure why no one in Switzerland carries it anymore.

The mention I saw about it on sonyalpharumors being discontinued mentioned the kit with the 18-55 SAM lens. On www.sony.com it's listed as a new product, Model number: SLT-A65VL with the 18-55 SAM 2 lens.

Since the A77 came with the 16-50 f2.8, I doubt it will see the same change.

Clyde Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Sony is often more confusing than enthusing.

Honestly, some times I wonder if they spend more effort trying to confuse their customers, rather than enthuse them.

The naming conventions for products drives me batty. Unpredictable life spans and wavering legacy compatibility, completely different menus between camera lines, all the lens and flash adapters in the world to make this work with that and that work with this, challenging the validity of native solutions... So many lines of cameras and video.

Yes, the a77 is sure to be discontinued at some point in the foreseeable future.  But don't expect to get a unified clear picture on that from anyone.

It's hard to focus when everything looks so blurry.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Michel J
Like?
Re: Sony is often more confusing than enthusing.
In reply to Clyde Thomas, 10 months ago

Clyde Thomas wrote:

Honestly, some times I wonder if they spend more effort trying to confuse their customers, rather than enthuse them.

The naming conventions for products drives me batty. Unpredictable life spans and wavering legacy compatibility, completely different menus between camera lines, all the lens and flash adapters in the world to make this work with that and that work with this, challenging the validity of native solutions... So many lines of cameras and video.

Yes, the a77 is sure to be discontinued at some point in the foreseeable future. But don't expect to get a unified clear picture on that from anyone.

It's hard to focus when everything looks so blurry.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Thanks

One of the reasons why I waited so long tu upgrade my two Konica-Minolta D7D's, (with a brief step by a second hand A200 with his tired actuators).

My 2 cents: making users unsure (voluntarily or not), don't promote native solutions you right, such a trendy marketing speculation (who provoque a faster turn over of cameras maybe...) can also make that people switch to competitors.

The launch of the A3000 - synced with the disappearance of current models exactly at the same time - does not show a healthy of Sony, but continues to maintain trouble.

Why not a consistency between models that lasts over renewal of the line up, without leaving gaping holes sometimes for several years.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Michel J
Like?
In reply to cplunk, 10 months ago

cplunk wrote:

A65 is still listed in stock by Sony and Amazon. Not sure why no one in Switzerland carries it anymore.

The mention I saw about it on sonyalpharumors being discontinued mentioned the kit with the 18-55 SAM lens. On www.sony.com it's listed as a new product, Model number: SLT-A65VL with the 18-55 SAM 2 lens.

Since the A77 came with the 16-50 f2.8, I doubt it will see the same change.

Thanks,

Hope you right, in the other hand, is no need thinking about it, if we had a real consistancy in the line up for years.

Regards,
--
Michel J

Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?

Considering that the A77 is two years old, it might be discontinued soon. Two years is a shorter interval than the usual 3-year product lifecycle, but technological advancements keep emerging at an increasingly faster rate. It is certainly possible that 2013 might be the final year for the A77. I can hardly believe it, because it seems like just yesterday that I bought that camera. I later upgraded to the A99, which has been terrific.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,376Gear list
Like?

Look out for the A7000 on the NEX forum.

Michel J wrote:

Hi Folks !

I get the last one in Switzerland for 665,8 € (body only, taxes including) from "Interdiscount". (Or CHF 799.- or US$)

And two sellers from two differents branches told me that the orders wouldn't be possible anymore.

Others references with kit-lens would be available until they are "out of stock", only.

Like the A65, does it will be discountinued soon? Does a repeated scenario, what was happened with the A700?

Regards.

-- hide signature --

Michel J

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Michel J
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, 10 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

Look out for the A7000 on the NEX forum.

Michel J wrote:

Hi Folks !

Regards.

-- hide signature --

Michel J

Well, the A7000 is a pure fake:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-picture-of-the-ilce-7000-or-a7000-semi-pro-camera-with-is-and-z-shift-sensor/

Take a look at the "silent knobs" (down the right) what is only available on the A99 (what it's seems to be the same body)

Does that means that some people add confusion to confusion, because is what the Sony marketing division inspire for the rest of us?

So what ?

Cheers,
--
Michel J

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads