Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions
huyzer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,749Gear list
Like?
Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!
Sep 11, 2013

Hi,

In a few days, I will have a D800! Oh my, I'm so excited. I have an S5 Pro by Fujifilm, and I love that camera's highlight sensor. But looking through a 1.5x crop factor camera has that tunnel vision of a view, I can't wait to have a 100% full-frame viewfinder like my old Nikon F5. My own thought is that this will actually help me compose images better. In either case, it's such a joy to look through the viewfinder and the images look bigger.

Anyhow, I think with the new D800, my exposure might be opposite of what I'm used to. Since the D800 is so great with shadow detail, and extracting it, I'm figuring I'm to expose for the highlights, and recover for the shadows. This is opposite of what I could do with the S5 Pro. That camera, by the way, you can grossly overexposure, and recovery is incredible. I'm hoping it'd be the opposite with the D800, in that if you grossly underexpose, you can recover so much. Bear in mind, that's not my intent to grossly over or under expose things. It's just nice to be able to recover fudged exposures. I think I might even tend towards compensating to the negative, as I hate blown highlights (hence, why I waited so long to get a digital camera, being the S5 Pro).

But in the beginning, I think I'm going to shoot with matrix metering, and not use any exposure compensation, just to feel how the camera reacts.  If you want to interject, please do.  I'd love to here real world tips from fellow D800 users.

Since it's a new camera, I probably should run it through some tests, just to see if everything is okay, especially the left focus issue I've read about. I really hope I didn't get a lemon.  Any tips in this respect will be greatly appreciated.  I'm going to search the forums also.

Anyhow, sorry for such a long intro. I look forward to interacting with this community.

Take care
Huy (sounds like "we")

huyzer's gear list:huyzer's gear list
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
OlivierD300
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Hello, I'm coming into the D800 fold. My 1st full-frame DSLR! So excited!
In reply to huyzer, Sep 12, 2013

Congratulation on your new purchase.  I absolutely understand your emotion/feeling which I was once get it (my Nikon F5 and D300).

in other hand, I AM JEALOUSSSSS :).  Have an intimate fun and joy with your D800.  I wish I got that kind of money.  kids school saving isn't funny at all

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,134Gear list
Like?
Welcome!

You will have much fun with the D800. It is a surprisingly user friendly and nice camera for casual everyday use, and also a immensely rewarding camera when you shoot carefully and deliberately.

I shot with a S5 Pro for a couple of months back when it was new, really liked it for skin tones and portrait work. But I am pretty sure the D800 will feel like a proper upgrade, in so many ways - viewfinder, screen, overall speed, autofocus and then those gorgeous raw files who can take a massive amount of abuse in post without falling apart.

Yeah, I definitely think you will have fun

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
mfahim27753
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?

Welcome to the D800 club!

You are gonna love it. I haven't had much issue with highlight so far, and I mostly use matrix metering. You should be just fine

-- hide signature --
 mfahim27753's gear list:mfahim27753's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 II Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
huyzer
Like?
In reply to OlivierD300, Sep 12, 2013

OlivierD300 wrote:

Congratulation on your new purchase. I absolutely understand your emotion/feeling which I was once get it (my Nikon F5 and D300).

in other hand, I AM JEALOUSSSSS :). Have an intimate fun and joy with your D800. I wish I got that kind of money. kids school saving isn't funny at all

Hello OlivierD300,
Thank you so much for your congratulations.  Do you still shoot with your F5, and scan the film sometimes?  I miss the full-frame, black bordered scans (if you were able to do that).  But I do not miss spotting for the dust!  Yikes!
Yes, I know what you mean about "JEALOUSSSSS".  I get "jealous" too. ;D  I sometimes get jealous of all the talent out there.   Of course it's not real jealousy.  I use it as an expression like you.  Yes, children are expensive.  But I'm sure you think they are worth it.

Thanks for joining in on the conversation.
Take care,
Huy

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831
Like?

You will be thoroughly amazed with your new purchase.   I bet we will be seeing some stellar images real soon!

-- hide signature --
huyzer
Like?
Re: Welcome!
In reply to Grevture, Sep 12, 2013

Grevture wrote:

You will have much fun with the D800. It is a surprisingly user friendly and nice camera for casual everyday use, and also a immensely rewarding camera when you shoot carefully and deliberately.

I shot with a S5 Pro for a couple of months back when it was new, really liked it for skin tones and portrait work. But I am pretty sure the D800 will feel like a proper upgrade, in so many ways - viewfinder, screen, overall speed, autofocus and then those gorgeous raw files who can take a massive amount of abuse in post without falling apart.

Yeah, I definitely think you will have fun

Hello Grevture,
Thank you for the welcome!
I think I will have fun with the D800, too, unless I get a lemon with the left focus point trouble.  Hopefully not.  I'm pretty sure this camera, it being full-frame, and 36 MP, will satisfy me forever.   For a very, very, very long time, at least.
Oh, great.  I'm glad you did have a go at the S5 Pro.  Yes, I do love it.  I will definitely use it as a second body with my D800.  I don't like swapping lenses, due to speed issues/grabbing the shot during weddings.  Now I will have a proper backup/2nd camera, and not have to worry about film scanning, and added cost.  But then again, my oh my, these D800 file are HUGE!  I'm going to have to spend money on drives for storage and backup.  People say digital is free shootin'.  Ha!  There is some cost to it.

I really do hope the dynamic range of the D800 will blow me away.  I've seen some examples of how much can be pull from the shadow, and it does amaze me.  I hope I get used to its work flow, and that my computer can handle processing it not too slowly.
Thank you, again, for the welcome and conversation.
Take care,
Huy

huyzer
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, Sep 12, 2013

Ernie Misner wrote:

You will be thoroughly amazed with your new purchase. I bet we will be seeing some stellar images real soon!

-- hide signature --

Hello Ernie Misner,
Oye, no promises on the stellar images.   I'm hoping, but ... haha.  I am definitely curious to see what my first images, that I like, will be.
Speaking of stellar images.  Wow, wow, wow.  Your flickr is great!  I am jealous of your beautiful location in nature!  Woohoo!
Thank you for your thoughts.
Take care,
Huy

huyzer
Like?
In reply to mfahim27753, Sep 12, 2013

mfahim27753 wrote:

You are gonna love it. I haven't had much issue with highlight so far, and I mostly use matrix metering. You should be just fine

-- hide signature --

Hello mfahim27753,
Thank you!
Haha!  That's great.  I'm glad to hear your experience and confidence in the matrix metering.  I'm curious, do you often, sometimes, or never need to use exposure compensation when you use matrix metering?
I'm also glad you haven't had issues with highlights.  That's what held me back from digital for the longest time, the abrupt, non-transition when highlights are blown.
Thank you(!),
Huy

romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?

huyzer wrote:

mfahim27753 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hello mfahim27753,
Thank you!
Haha! That's great. I'm glad to hear your experience and confidence in the matrix metering. I'm curious, do you often, sometimes, or never need to use exposure compensation when you use matrix metering?
I'm also glad you haven't had issues with highlights. That's what held me back from digital for the longest time, the abrupt, non-transition when highlights are blown.
Thank you(!),
Huy

I find the D800 exposure system is very good at protecting highlights. If anything it slightly underexposes to protect those highlights.

However because of its fantastic dynamic range its easy enough to adjust the highlights to the edge of being blown and then lighten the shadows in PP for excellent results. Especially in High DR situations.

In low DR situations the exposure is normally spot on.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
Grevture
Like?

huyzer wrote:

Thank you for the welcome!

I think I will have fun with the D800, too, unless I get a lemon with the left focus point trouble. Hopefully not.

A good friend of mine got one of the very first D800's to be delivered over here. As it turned out, it has the left AF point issue. But he has never bothered to fix it, he can see it when specifically testing for it, but he feels it has no discernible practical effects on his photography anyway

And besides that, it seem to be fixed by now.

I'm pretty sure this camera, it being full-frame, and 36 MP, will satisfy me forever. For a very, very, very long time, at least.

You put a finger on something which is somewhat problematic for the manufacturers - since a few years back we have reached a plateau of performance where it will take something rather extraordinary to get photographers to replace their cameras as often as has been the norm during the first ten years of digital DSLR's (2000 - 2010).

I shoot a lot of sports and PJ work, and for me my two D3 cameras and one D3s feel very much up to the task still, in spite of my oldest D3 camera turning six years old later this autumn. As much as I would love to have a couple of D4's, the D3 and D3s gets the job done at a much lower cost ...

Oh, great. I'm glad you did have a go at the S5 Pro. Yes, I do love it. I will definitely use it as a second body with my D800. I don't like swapping lenses, due to speed issues/grabbing the shot during weddings. Now I will have a proper backup/2nd camera, and not have to worry about film scanning, and added cost. But then again, my oh my, these D800 file are HUGE! I'm going to have to spend money on drives for storage and backup. People say digital is free shootin'. Ha! There is some cost to it.

Actually, the difference will very probably be less substantial then you think. The S5 Pro has rather massive raw files in relation to its megapixel count (my files from it seem to average around 25 megabyte), while Nikon is pretty good at keeping raw file sizes down, as a rule of thumb Nikon raw files seem to average about 1 megabyte/megapixel, or around 36 megabyte in the case of the D800. So it will probably not be as taxing on storage as you might think

I really do hope the dynamic range of the D800 will blow me away. I've seen some examples of how much can be pull from the shadow, and it does amaze me. I hope I get used to its work flow, and that my computer can handle processing it not too slowly.

It usually takes a little while to adjust one's workflow and habits, but the D800 files really are nice to work with - albeit large and it will stress your computer - but they can take a lot of post processing without giving up quality. And while it might take  you a short time to get used to the exposure system of the D800, it is worth the effort. It works really well once you get to know it.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
mrpevets
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: What is your workflow with these massive raw files?
In reply to romfordbluenose, Sep 12, 2013

I, too, have just purchased a new 800E camera on Monday.

I have not even opened it yet as I am reading Thom Hogan's book

Can anyone out there help me with pp and what you do?

I have been using Aperture for the past number of years & have just started to try to use Lightroom 4 (I know, Lightroom 5 is now out) but I would love to get an idea of your workflow if you use either programs

Eternal Camper

Stephen

huyzer
Like?
In reply to Grevture, Sep 12, 2013

Grevture wrote:

A good friend of mine got one of the very first D800's to be delivered over here. As it turned out, it has the left AF point issue. But he has never bothered to fix it, he can see it when specifically testing for it, but he feels it has no discernible practical effects on his photography anyway

Yes, true. It's good to know in practical terms, that it doesn't seem to worry some. I don't know if I could do that myself. We'll see I guess. Also, it will depend on how bad it is. I guess, for me, on the matter of principle alone, a product (especially one this expensive) shouldn't be defective from the start.

And besides that, it seem to be fixed by now.

You put a finger on something which is somewhat problematic for the manufacturers - since a few years back we have reached a plateau of performance where it will take something rather extraordinary to get photographers to replace their cameras as often as has been the norm during the first ten years of digital DSLR's (2000 - 2010).

I shoot a lot of sports and PJ work, and for me my two D3 cameras and one D3s feel very much up to the task still, in spite of my oldest D3 camera turning six years old later this autumn. As much as I would love to have a couple of D4's, the D3 and D3s gets the job done at a much lower cost ...

Wow, you've got amazing cameras, and so many, too! I would not mind that setup at all. haha! Then I wouldn't have to change any lenses! I'd probably have to change out my neck, though, due to all that weight, if I were to carry it all day. I've done two Nikon F5 cameras for a very long wedding once (from early morning, till midnight), with big lenses, and boy, was my neck killing me towards the end. I don't even know if it's possible to walk around with three cameras without adversely affecting your movement, and the cameras (from banging on each other).

Actually, the difference will very probably be less substantial then you think. The S5 Pro has rather massive raw files in relation to its megapixel count (my files from it seem to average around 25 megabyte), while Nikon is pretty good at keeping raw file sizes down, as a rule of thumb Nikon raw files seem to average about 1 megabyte/megapixel, or around 36 megabyte in the case of the D800. So it will probably not be as taxing on storage as you might think

Yes, true. Those .RAFs from Fuji are quite big. I average about the same 25 megabytes, plus the Fine/largest jpeg out the camera. I'm thinking, at least for now, I'll probably only show RAW + smallest jpeg for the D800. I'm thinking maybe having the jpeg available for when I want to "chimp" a shot to verify exposure, it might be quicker(?) due to having the jpeg (unless they convert the .NEF on the fly).

I'm not sure what your experience has been like with looking at the previews on the S5 Pro, but in my case (using my older CF Sandisk Extreme III 20MB/s, and the newer Ultra I bought 30MB/s), there is that lag that's annoying long, from pressing the "Play" button, to when the image finally shows up. I haven't had faster cards than these, so I can't verify if it's instant, or if it doesn't matter with that camera. In relation to that, is the review on the Nikon D800 laggy, also, with it's big files?

Thankfully, as part of a package that I got for the D800, I'm getting a Lexar 32GB SDHC Memory Card Professional Class 10 600x UHS-I, which has 90MB/s read, and 45MB/s write speeds.

It usually takes a little while to adjust one's workflow and habits, but the D800 files really are nice to work with - albeit large and it will stress your computer - but they can take a lot of post processing without giving up quality. And while it might take you a short time to get used to the exposure system of the D800, it is worth the effort. It works really well once you get to know it.

That's so great to hear, that "..they can take a lot of post processing without giving up quality".
One thing I discovered about the S5 Pro, is how colors reacts differently in LightRoom's Camera Calibration.  Of course that's a given, but what I mean is that if I use anything new: Process 2012 (Current) & Profile Adobe Standard, it really deadens skin tones, especially the lip colors.  This is if it's a wider angle shot, and the person's face is smaller, thus making the lips thin in comparison to the image area.  I think it may be partly due to the fact that the newer process does so well in removing noise, that it inadvertently removes colors from the lips.  Perhaps it's also because of such the unique sensor the S5 Pro has, Adobe doesn't know what to do with it, correctly (like Fuji would).
I'm hoping that above effect won't translate in using the D800 files.  I really want to use the newer calibrations Process, as they have what seems to be better features, and better Profiles, I would think.

-- hide signature --

It just smell funny

Haha!  I like your signature.  Take a hold of that insanity, and embrace it!
Thank you for your detailed replies!
Take care,
Huy

huyzer
Like?
In reply to romfordbluenose, Sep 12, 2013

romfordbluenose wrote:

huyzer wrote:

mfahim27753 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hello mfahim27753,
Thank you!
Haha! That's great. I'm glad to hear your experience and confidence in the matrix metering. I'm curious, do you often, sometimes, or never need to use exposure compensation when you use matrix metering?
I'm also glad you haven't had issues with highlights. That's what held me back from digital for the longest time, the abrupt, non-transition when highlights are blown.
Thank you(!),
Huy

I find the D800 exposure system is very good at protecting highlights. If anything it slightly underexposes to protect those highlights.

However because of its fantastic dynamic range its easy enough to adjust the highlights to the edge of being blown and then lighten the shadows in PP for excellent results. Especially in High DR situations.

In low DR situations the exposure is normally spot on.

Hello romfordbluenose,

Thank you for verifying that! That is great to hear! That is actually what I want, protecting the highlights and opening/recovering the shadows. If it's really, really good (shadow recovery), I may just dial in -1/3 to -2/3 stops for added highlight protection, if it's not too much of a detriment to the shadows. I was thinking leaving it, forever -1/3 to -2/3 stops, but haha, I probably will do it according to the scene.

Sweet! in regards to "In low DR situations the exposure is normally spot on."
Thank you very much for taking the time to add to the info, and conversation.
Take care,
Huy

huyzer
Like?
Re: What is your workflow with these massive raw files?
In reply to mrpevets, Sep 12, 2013

mrpevets wrote:

I, too, have just purchased a new 800E camera on Monday.

Sweet!  Congratulations on the purchase!  Have fun with it!

I have not even opened it yet as I am reading Thom Hogan's book

Can anyone out there help me with pp and what you do?

I have been using Aperture for the past number of years & have just started to try to use Lightroom 4 (I know, Lightroom 5 is now out) but I would love to get an idea of your workflow if you use either programs

Eternal Camper

Stephen

I look forward to hearing others' take on it.  I haven't used Aperture, so I can't compare it to LR.
Take care, and see you on the D800 forum, fellow, new D800 owner.
Regards,
Huy

huyzer
Like?
GOT the camera!!!!! It arrived.
In reply to huyzer, Sep 14, 2013

Woooohooooo!  I got the camera.  Talk about UPS sticking to their word about "Delivery by the end of the day".  Their work hour ends at 7:00 p.m., and the guy was at my door at around 7:07 p.m.  Haha!

Sooo, I have a 2GB card that in the S5 Pro would give me 65 images (RAW+Fine Jpeg).  Well, I set the D800 to write the .NEF to the CF (2GB), and the Jpeg to the SD card.  My CF will only handle 23 pictures/.NEFs.  Haha!  I don't mind, because now I'm back in the film days mindset, and trying to make every image count.  There's a positive to that, but I also saw a negative.  I was photographing my great-niece that was visiting, and I was not decisive enough, as I was waiting for that perfect time/focus/composition.  She's almost 3 years old (2 more months till), and she didn't stick around for the shot. lol.

Having such huge files, and filling up 2GB so fast, I'm going to have to pace myself, as hard drives will fill up fast. :\
Now, it's time to look at the RAWs, and see how they are.  Also, I have to test the left focus point, and read up some more on what types of lens and aperture affects it the most.

Take care,
Huy

Grevture
Like?
You are in for a treat :-)

huyzer wrote:

Woooohooooo! I got the camera. Talk about UPS sticking to their word about "Delivery by the end of the day". Their work hour ends at 7:00 p.m., and the guy was at my door at around 7:07 p.m. Haha!

Service up and beyond duty

Sooo, I have a 2GB card that in the S5 Pro would give me 65 images (RAW+Fine Jpeg). Well, I set the D800 to write the .NEF to the CF (2GB), and the Jpeg to the SD card. My CF will only handle 23 pictures/.NEFs.

Keep in mind the count the camera displays is sort of 'worst case scenario', and usually you actually get 1.5 or 2 times as many images on the card.

The reason for this discrepancy is that unlike Fujifilm, Nikon uses a rather efficient compression (lossless) of the raw files, meaning the file sizes will vary considerably depending on what is in the image (a image with lots of blue skye will for example compress a lot more then a image with large areas filled with detailsi). And the count you see is based on the largest possible files.

Haha! I don't mind, because now I'm back in the film days mindset, and trying to make every image count. There's a positive to that, but I also saw a negative. I was photographing my great-niece that was visiting, and I was not decisive enough, as I was waiting for that perfect time/focus/composition. She's almost 3 years old (2 more months till), and she didn't stick around for the shot. lol.

Having such huge files, and filling up 2GB so fast, I'm going to have to pace myself, as hard drives will fill up fast. :\

Again, considering you probably got 25 megabyte raw files from your S5 Pro, the ~35 megabyte files from the D800 will only mean roughly 40% more storage needs

Now, it's time to look at the RAWs, and see how they are. Also, I have to test the left focus point, and read up some more on what types of lens and aperture affects it the most.

My first order of business with AF would rather be to get to know it. The AF system in the D800 is generally speaking easy to use, and it is one of the very best systems out there - the same as in the professional sports/PJ D4 and fairly close in performance to Canons top AF system (the one used in Eos 1Dx and Eos 5D Mk3). So you now have one of the best AF systems on the market at your disposal.

Its overall behaviour should not be very different from the one you had in S5 Pro (which is the same AF as the Nikon D200), but it has some more settings, and if you accidentally get it into automatic mode, its behaviour can appear confusing

Good luck, and happy shooting!

-- hide signature --

It just smell funny

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,121Gear list
Like?
0.7x vs. 0.75x

huyzer wrote:

Hi,

In a few days, I will have a D800! Oh my, I'm so excited. I have an S5 Pro by Fujifilm, and I love that camera's highlight sensor. But looking through a 1.5x crop factor camera has that tunnel vision of a view, I can't wait to have a 100% full-frame viewfinder like my old Nikon F5.

It is similar, but the OVF is not as big as your f5.  The d800 has a 0.7x OVF magnification rating while the f5 had a 0.75x.  35mm OVF's have gotten smaller over the years.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,121Gear list
Like?
Re: GOT the camera!!!!! It arrived.

huyzer wrote:

, and she didn't stick around for the shot. lol.

3 year olds won't pose.  Lesson learned.

You can always shoot a much smaller JPG size.  Not every family snapshot needs 36MP.  Even 12 would be fine.

huyzer
Like?
Re: You are in for a treat :-)
In reply to Grevture, Sep 15, 2013

Grevture wrote:

Service up and beyond duty

Keep in mind the count the camera displays is sort of 'worst case scenario', and usually you actually get 1.5 or 2 times as many images on the card.

The reason for this discrepancy is that unlike Fujifilm, Nikon uses a rather efficient compression (lossless) of the raw files, meaning the file sizes will vary considerably depending on what is in the image (a image with lots of blue skye will for example compress a lot more then a image with large areas filled with detailsi). And the count you see is based on the largest possible files.

Thanks! Ah, yes. I read a little about that after your comment. I saw it in my files too. As it did get more than the 23 I was seeing as its guesstimate. It ended up actually being 34 .NEFs, and those were uncompressed, averaging around 74MB a file.

Again, considering you probably got 25 megabyte raw files from your S5 Pro, the ~35 megabyte files from the D800 will only mean roughly 40% more storage needs

I've since changed to lossless compression, and basic jpeg (and Size Priority jpeg compression at that, and Small not Large. I'm amazed how small. It's averaging about 900 KB vs. 2-7MBs). This will save me considerable room.

Now, it's time to look at the RAWs, and see how they are. Also, I have to test the left focus point, and read up some more on what types of lens and aperture affects it the most.

My first order of business with AF would rather be to get to know it. The AF system in the D800 is generally speaking easy to use, and it is one of the very best systems out there - the same as in the professional sports/PJ D4 and fairly close in performance to Canons top AF system (the one used in Eos 1Dx and Eos 5D Mk3). So you now have one of the best AF systems on the market at your disposal.

Definitely cool to know.  I don't mind it being one of the best. ...less the left sensor fault, which I have yet to verify if I have that issue in my specific camera.

Its overall behaviour should not be very different from the one you had in S5 Pro (which is the same AF as the Nikon D200), but it has some more settings, and if you accidentally get it into automatic mode, its behaviour can appear confusing

Oh.. if only my LCD display in the viewfinder didn't "break".  The liquid crystal section in the lower right quadrant is darkened (when not half-pressed)/brighten(red when half-pressed), and selecting the focus points is not visible.  So I just locked it on center by using the panel on top of the camera, and left it at that.  Focus, recompose, focus, recompose. haha.

Good luck, and happy shooting!

Thank you!  I'll upload a few favorites thus far (after I edit some, and then I'll reply to myself with "Some images", or the like.  And I'm in LOVE with the shallow D.O.F. of the video footage!!!!  I've been anxiously waiting, for when I could afford an video capable DSLR.  I can almost say that's what I'm most excited about.

Take care, and thanks for all the feedback.

Sincerely,
Huy

P.S.  Here's a noobish question, of which I'm just verifying.  But, all the Menu settings under the second icon (the camera), only affects the Jpegs, not the .NEF raws, correct?  Raw is just that, without any adjustments such as Color Space, Active D-Lighting, Vignette Control, Long Exposure NR, High ISO NR.

Though, I do wonder about the White Balance.  Perhaps that does get written in, and then it defaults to it in LightRoom/Camera Raw/Photoshop.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads