More street with the J1 + 10mm

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Seedeich
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
More street with the J1 + 10mm
11 months ago

I’ve always been a fan of the zooms and the EVF of the V1.

When I picked up a cheap J1 with 10mm it was a bit like… can’t do much harm, let’s see what that thing can do.
I never thought, that it would expand my way of taking pictures as it actually does.

From a pretty controlled way of shooting with the V1 to a very fast and loose point and shoot style.
Sometimes I just have a vague idea about the framing simply because I can’t see much on the LCD. I use auto area AF and face recognition. The results surprise me.

Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
Re: More street with the J1 + 10mm
In reply to Seedeich, 11 months ago

Nice set, like especially the last one here, which nicely captures the mood, well seen !!!

-- hide signature --

Valentino

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Blanko00
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?

Again, nice work. It's interesting you talk of fast and lose, it's a great discription of how I like to approach my meanderings through the city. It's interesting to watch this little video of Daido Moriyama, and how he works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1TPIAQw90

In this video he talks about his choice of camera, it's pretty much the reason I ditched my SLR and later ended up with a Nikon J1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbFAPq75UI

Nobuyoshi Araki says some wise stuff it this too.

Just thought that stuff might be interesting to you.

semifast
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?

The girl taking a picture, such perfect composition. Everything from her pigtails to her hands to her shadow and the shadow of a building, the diagonals in the sidewalk to the mirrors..

couldn't be better. Brilliant..

semifast's gear list:semifast's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 NEX5R Nikon Coolpix S800c Samsung Galaxy Camera (Wi-Fi)
Wayne N.
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,973
Like?
In reply to semifast, 11 months ago

semifast wrote:

The girl taking a picture, such perfect composition. Everything from her pigtails to her hands to her shadow and the shadow of a building, the diagonals in the sidewalk to the mirrors..

couldn't be better. Brilliant..

+1! Excellent shot, and nice set!

Cheers,
Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n/image/83383393/medium.jpg

The Smoking Camera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,335Gear list
Like?

Last one is very nice. Well done!

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,800Gear list
Like?

Excellent! I like them all.

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --
 andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Seedeich
Like?
In reply to andrbar, 11 months ago

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

The videos are very interesting. Daido Moriyama is a very special guy who shoots in a very densely populated and exciting city.

Sometimes I get the feeling… what could I do in such an environment.
But in the end you can do streetphotography in all places.
Even in small villages.

It doesn’t have to be with a compact camera. A D700 with a 30 years old manual zoom is also fine.

Reminds of that I should get that huge thing out again and have some fun with it.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,849Gear list
Like?

i own both the J1 and V1 and i love them both the 10mm is clued to my V1, the J1 i use with the 10-30 and 30-110.

i like your shots a lot.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
Seedeich
Like?
In reply to Marti58, 11 months ago

Marti58 wrote:

i own both the J1 and V1 and i love them both the 10mm is clued to my V1, the J1 i use with the 10-30 and 30-110.

Thanks, Marti.

Interesting, you do it the other way around.
I have the 10mm on the J1 because I frame more intuitively with a prime and LCD.
The zooms and the EVF suit me better for precise framing.

wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 842Gear list
Like?

A great series with the J1. Last one is my fave too.

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Stephen
Contributing MemberPosts: 702
Like?
In reply to wolfd, 11 months ago

Very nice work, I have the J1 and recently bought the oly epm2, which is great when you consider its price .However I occasionally use my J1 as it gives good results I just can't bring myself to sell it.
The only thing wrong with the nikon 1 is the extreme high price they were introduced
cheers

vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?

Seedeich wrote:

It doesn’t have to be with a compact camera. A D700 with a 30 years old manual zoom is also fine.

Reminds of that I should get that huge thing out again and have some fun with it.

Yip and equipped with good AF glass it's even more fun. The D700 is still a great cam, a good reliable sturdy working horse with nice AF, direct controls and good IQ, even under higher ISO. It's something you should use more often ...

-- hide signature --

Valentino

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?

Seedeich wrote:

I’ve always been a fan of the zooms and the EVF of the V1.

When I picked up a cheap J1 with 10mm it was a bit like… can’t do much harm, let’s see what that thing can do.
I never thought, that it would expand my way of taking pictures as it actually does.

From a pretty controlled way of shooting with the V1 to a very fast and loose point and shoot style.
Sometimes I just have a vague idea about the framing simply because I can’t see much on the LCD. I use auto area AF and face recognition. The results surprise me.

Seedeich in Colour
Seedeich in Black & White

What surprised you about the results? The IQ? ...or just the way that you came away thinking about the lack of EVF.

I gotta tell you, these guys who are VF or nothing really remind me of old men, sitting there are not changing. Having closed minds in the backside of life. You have to grow, adapt and have an open mind. ...otherwise you're missing out on some really really cheap nice cameras.

Nice shots.

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Seedeich
Like?
In reply to happypoppeye, 11 months ago

Oh, young man.

With the LCD we’re back where we started. Remember those wooden cameras with glass plates? Probably not.
One could see the image at the back of the camera, exactly as today. The only difference is, that it was much larger and upside down.
Exactly as today, you couldn’t see a sh*t in sunlight unless you throw a black cloth over it.

What surprises me? The ease with which these modern cameras produce images.
Would have made life easier when I was embedded as a war reporter in the trenches of Verdun.

I gotta tell you, a few things have changed in the last hundred years.

coolcatdaddy
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
In reply to vkyr2, 11 months ago

vkyr2 wrote:

Nice set, like especially the last one here, which nicely captures the mood, well seen !!!

-- hide signature --

Valentino

yes. that last one is a doozy!

larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?

Very nice.  I like the shot of the two women smoking.  Great expressions and I like how the camera was able to hold details in highlights and shadow.

Last shot of couple on bench is also nice, although a more straight-on angle  and without the guy on the far right would have made it perfect, I think.  Or maybe shot with a longer focal length.  But then that's the beauty and difficulty with street, isn't it?  Tough to do because you don't control the subjects and you have to work fast and unobtrusive (usually).

Seedeich
Like?
In reply to larsbc, 11 months ago

Thanks.
I also thought about the guy on the right. But hey, it’s street, not a fashion shot. All kinds of accidental things happen, that are out of your control. That’s the beauty of it and makes it so challenging.

And you definitely don’t change lenses. If you have a zoom on the camera, you might have time to get into a better position. Otherwise you shoot with whatever lens you have mounted.

norman shearer
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?

Yes the J1 is an excellent discreet street shooter. The AF is so good you don't need to confirm focus before shooting - just point and shoot. I also like the buffer and often shoot in short bursts. It's the only camera I have that I shoot street using AF - the Sony NEX 5N and Olympus E-PL5 I zone focus so I can react quickly and know roughly where the focus will fall.

Nice shots..

norman shearer's gear list:norman shearer's gear list
Sigma DP1x Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +1 more
Seedeich
Like?
In reply to norman shearer, 11 months ago

Yes, for street AF autoarea and face recognition often works fine.

But… I’ve used it at a social event indoors with that setting and I didn’t like where the camera focussed. Often at the closest subject, i.e. the back of heads. So I’m really considering of going back to my old way of focussing - center point. Usually I have time enough for that - unless I’m shooting blindly from the hip.

I never had a digital camera, that can zone focus (not quite true, D700 + manual lenses)
but I used zone focussing with my old Rollei B35. I’m also tempted by the Ricoh GR for the same reason.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads