FF Sony Nex Lenses

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions
travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?
FF Sony Nex Lenses
Sep 11, 2013

I have to admit, the leaked/rumoured 35/2.8 confuses me. Assuming some (a lot of?) redundancy btw RX1 owners and FF Nex owners - at least at first - seems like they should go the Fuji X route and avoid the 35 FL for the first year. I would have thought 24/2.8 (or even 3.5), 50/1.8, and 85 or 100 1.8 plus a zoom (28-75/4) would get the job done. Why compete with your own product?
TBri

EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101Gear list
Like?
Re: FF Sony Nex Lenses
In reply to travelinbri_74, Sep 11, 2013

yes we should go the cropped sensor route when full frame is what we want....

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,925Gear list
Like?

I have to admit, the leaked/rumoured 35/2.8 confuses me. Assuming some (a lot of?) redundancy btw RX1 owners and FF Nex owners - at least at first - seems like they should go the Fuji X route and avoid the 35 FL for the first year. I would have thought 24/2.8 (or even 3.5), 50/1.8, and 85 or 100 1.8 plus a zoom (28-75/4) would get the job done. Why compete with your own product?
TBri

You are mixing cropped sensor with FF. The NEX lens you speak of, 35/2.8, would have APSc equivalence of 24/1.8 for FoV and DoF, and based on rumors as the kit lens.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Not competing

From David K: It’s possible that the RX1-N (not necessarily its name) lenses will fit other E-mount bodies, but existing E-mount lenses won’t fit the new mini-Leica-style body.

We know existing E-mount lenses won't work on the new FF NEX cameras.  There is a very small chance the FF lenses won't work on current NEX bodies due to the extra contacts needed (modified E-mount with additional contacts to enable the silent leaf-shutter and iris action)We need to wait and see.

ianimal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
Re: Not competing
In reply to DT200, Sep 11, 2013

From David K: It’s possible...
I think it is best to wait and see for sure. Rumors and "it is possible" talk is not information
I can trust Time will tell.

TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,502Gear list
Like?

DT200 wrote:

From David K: It’s possible that the RX1-N (not necessarily its name) lenses will fit other E-mount bodies, but existing E-mount lenses won’t fit the new mini-Leica-style body.

We know existing E-mount lenses won't work on the new FF NEX cameras. There is a very small chance the FF lenses won't work on current NEX bodies due to the extra contacts needed (modified E-mount with additional contacts to enable the silent leaf-shutter and iris action) . We need to wait and see.

mmmm, where do you get your facts from? Current lenses wont work?

I cant say I know for sure, but lets see the vg-900, the current only nex FF. You can use any current nex e-mount lens on it. On crop mode.

And lets see what happens on the a-mount line. You have cropped sensor bodies, and FF bodies. You also have aps-c lenses and FF lenses. You can mix as much as you like them. Of course with the obvious consequences of going to crop mode with FF cameras using non FF lenses.

On an aps-c a-mount camera you can mount any FF lens with no problem.

The same happens on Nikon and on canon.

So again, just curious. WE KNOW EXISTING E-MOUNT LENSES WONT WORK ON THE NEW FF NEX CAMERAS. Who is WE??????? Where do you get your facts from? I'm not saying mine are facts. They are informed suppositions, with a logic on them. Cant see yours.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
In reply to TiagoReil, Sep 11, 2013

TiagoReil wrote:

And lets see what happens on the a-mount line. You have cropped sensor bodies, and FF bodies. You also have aps-c lenses and FF lenses. You can mix as much as you like them. Of course with the obvious consequences of going to crop mode with FF cameras using non FF lenses.

So again, just curious. WE KNOW EXISTING E-MOUNT LENSES WONT WORK ON THE NEW FF NEX CAMERAS. Who is WE??????? Where do you get your facts from? I'm not saying mine are facts. They are informed suppositions, with a logic on them. Cant see yours.

I can put my FF EF Canon lenses on my APS-C Canon T4i.  But I couldn't put my APS-C EFS lens (17-55/2.8) on my FF Canon 5D2 (when I had one). Compatibility might go one way, but not both ways. We just have to wait and see.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +2 more
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 908
Like?
In reply to Alohaman, Sep 11, 2013

Alohaman wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

I can put my FF EF Canon lenses on my APS-C Canon T4i. But I couldn't put my APS-C EFS lens (17-55/2.8) on my FF Canon 5D2 (when I had one). Compatibility might go one way, but not both ways. We just have to wait and see.

The NEX-VG900 (FF E-mount) and the A99 for that matter work fine with crop lenses in crop mode - so will the FF NEX camera. Probability of that not being the case is minor.

Either are people (DT200) not updated enough on the best FF NEX evidence (provided by SAR) out there, or else they are ignoring them on purpose of fanboy reasons hoping Sony will fail so that they won't feel bad about their current system. Personally I hope manufacturers (anyone) do what is best for the consumer, and that is to make a kick ass product to satisfy our needs.

DT200
Like?
David Kilpatrick - PhotoClub Alpha

TiagoReil wrote:

DT200 wrote:

We know existing E-mount lenses won't work on the new FF NEX cameras. There is a very small chance the FF lenses won't work on current NEX bodies due to the extra contacts needed (modified E-mount with additional contacts to enable the silent leaf-shutter and iris action) . We need to wait and see.

I cant say I know for sure, but lets see the vg-900, the current only nex FF. You can use any current nex e-mount lens on it. On crop mode.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/09/10/rx1-nex-coming-in-october-2-interchangeable-lenses/

He says:

It’s possible that the RX1-N (not necessarily its name) lenses will fit other E-mount bodies, but existing E-mount lenses won’t fit the new mini-Leica-style body.

DT200
Like?
In reply to spacemn, Sep 11, 2013

spacemn wrote:

Alohaman wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

I can put my FF EF Canon lenses on my APS-C Canon T4i. But I couldn't put my APS-C EFS lens (17-55/2.8) on my FF Canon 5D2 (when I had one). Compatibility might go one way, but not both ways. We just have to wait and see.

The NEX-VG900 (FF E-mount) and the A99 for that matter work fine with crop lenses in crop mode - so will the FF NEX camera. Probability of that not being the case is minor.

Either are people (DT200) not updated enough on the best FF NEX evidence (provided by SAR)

Please go and read SAR.  They quote David Kilpatrick who says:

It’s possible that the RX1-N (not necessarily its name) lenses will fit other E-mount bodies, but existing E-mount lenses won’t fit the new mini-Leica-style body.

I am only aksing if what a repsected Sony fan site say is true.  If you have evidence what he says is false, please let us know.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,925Gear list
Like?
Re: David Kilpatrick - PhotoClub Alpha

TiagoReil wrote:

DT200 wrote:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/09/10/rx1-nex-coming-in-october-2-interchangeable-lenses/

He says:

And while we are speculating, it is possible RX1-N is a completely different camera body being developed by Cybershot division with ILC as opposed to a FF E-mount system from Alpha division that develops NEX and SLT bodies.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
TiagoReil
Like?

DT200 wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

DT200 wrote:

He says:

First of all, you should have added the link when you are commenting on someone.

Second, who is he? First time I hear about him.

Third, I really don't believe much what says there. You took it as fact, but I doubt it. I doubt many things. First that this would be the NEX FF. If it is the NEX FF SAR has already posted a lot of information, and what this guy says is wrong. Very wrong. Everything points to a very compatible camera (not only with nex lenses, but alpha also). Everything points to a 15% bigger nex-7 body. Not what this article says.

Now, if this is a new camera, again, why have another FF rangefinder like camera to compete with itself? Also, another set of lenses? The idea of a lens with leaf shutter is tempting, it will be expensive, and no one does it for FF (with interchangeable lenses) for a reason. It also adds a lot of size to the lens and mount.

Finally, if you read it, you will see that nothing is said as a fact. IT seems like....., but it could be the opposite. He says things like that all the time. Dont get me wrong, SARs does the same thing, but at least SARs has a track record of a lot of correct rumors, and of recognizing when things were wrong, or changed. This guy, I have no idea who he is. He could be the next SAR, but I have no idea.

So again, is your FACT, a rumor from a not very known site? I have no problem with discussing rumors, I do it all the time, but lets call them what they are and not confuse more people please.

Ti@go.

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,383
Like?

TiagoReil wrote:

DT200 wrote:

He says:

He added a comment to the bottom of the post saying that this is all (the stuff about the mount) speculation and that it *could* be the rumored FF NEX.

He's kind of the Thom Hogan of A mount; a long time Minolta/Sony users/watcher who has been in the publishing business for decades.  He was posting things about Minolta history that nobody else knew back in the usenet days.

However, while he knows more about A mount than anyone I can think of, his occasional speculations haven't proved very accurate.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 908
Like?

DT200 wrote:

spacemn wrote:

Alohaman wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

Either are people (DT200) not updated enough on the best FF NEX evidence (provided by SAR)

Please go and read SAR. They quote David Kilpatrick who says:

I am only aksing if what a repsected Sony fan site say is true. If you have evidence what he says is false, please let us know.

Sorry, your agenda in here seems a little suspicious. You conveniently omit the following that I quote below - taken from SAR (http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/also-david-kilpatrick-confirms-the-nex-ff-is-coming-in-october/ ):

...David also speculates about some lenses (like the 35mm f/2.0) but he evidently didn’t read the latest leaks here on SAR. The lens is actually a Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. So take his “speculations” with a grain of salt. And the camera is a NEX and will not feature an RX name. What’s correct is the basic rumor he got from his source. A compact E-mount FF camera is coming in October. Yes, that’s correct....

The only thing interesting in D. Kilpatrick's article is that he got his tip/rumor from someone else than SAR's sources, which means we have an independent source confirming the FF NEX rumor. The part where Kilpatrick adds his own speculation is the part where you start face palming and wonder if he ever reads SAR, a guy with his apparent influence should do his research a little better than starting implausible rumors via his speculations about a new mount, almost, and leaf shutters(!)

DT200
Like?
More than "speculation"?
In reply to Dennis, Sep 11, 2013

Dennis wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

DT200 wrote:

He says:

He added a comment to the bottom of the post saying that this is all (the stuff about the mount) speculation and that it *could* be the rumored FF NEX.

He's kind of the Thom Hogan of A mount; a long time Minolta/Sony users/watcher who has been in the publishing business for decades.  He was posting things about Minolta history that nobody else knew back in the usenet days.

However, while he knows more about A mount than anyone I can think of, his occasional speculations haven't proved very accurate.

It is my understanding he is reliable and he presents it as if there was "hands-on" experience here.  Now maybe this was a beta test that won't see the light of day.   We will know for sure in October.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
TiagoReil
Like?
In reply to spacemn, Sep 11, 2013

spacemn wrote:

DT200 wrote:

spacemn wrote:

Alohaman wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

I am only aksing if what a repsected Sony fan site say is true. If you have evidence what he says is false, please let us know.

Sorry, your agenda in here seems a little suspicious. You conveniently omit the following that I quote below - taken from SAR (http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/also-david-kilpatrick-confirms-the-nex-ff-is-coming-in-october/ ):

...David also speculates about some lenses (like the 35mm f/2.0) but he evidently didn’t read the latest leaks here on SAR. The lens is actually a Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. So take his “speculations” with a grain of salt. And the camera is a NEX and will not feature an RX name. What’s correct is the basic rumor he got from his source. A compact E-mount FF camera is coming in October. Yes, that’s correct....

The only thing interesting in D. Kilpatrick's article is that he got his tip/rumor from someone else than SAR's sources, which means we have an independent source confirming the FF NEX rumor. The part where Kilpatrick adds his own speculation is the part where you start face palming and wonder if he ever reads SAR, a guy with his apparent influence should do his research a little better than starting implausible rumors via his speculations about a new mount, almost, and leaf shutters(!)

I just read the SARS comment on DAvids post. And yes, they say he is right only on that a new FF nex camera will appear in october, but disagree on the rest.

Dont get me wrong, I dont trust either of them completely, cause this is a rumor. Still, I would thinkg that SARs has probably more info right now (more sources) but both could be wrong. For now, SARs is a specialized rumor site, and david's a well known bloger, that got a rumor out. Thats all.

I really doubt what David said, unless it is another camera (highly doubt it). Everything points to compatibility. And again, I dont mean to attack or have conflict with anybody, just calling things by its real name.

DT200
Like?

TiagoReil wrote:

spacemn wrote:

DT200 wrote:

spacemn wrote:

Alohaman wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

I just read the SARS comment on DAvids post. And yes, they say he is right only on that a new FF nex camera will appear in october, but disagree on the rest.

Dont get me wrong, I dont trust either of them completely, cause this is a rumor. Still, I would thinkg that SARs has probably more info right now (more sources) but both could be wrong. For now, SARs is a specialized rumor site, and david's a well known bloger, that got a rumor out. Thats all.

I really doubt what David said, unless it is another camera (highly doubt it). Everything points to compatibility. And again, I dont mean to attack or have conflict with anybody, just calling things by its real name.

We can wait until October to know for sure.  Until then many will follow what the rumor sites and blogs say. 

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,451Gear list
Like?

These rumors are nothing more than someone overhearing a conversation about someone else who was using an RX1(?) with interchangeable lenses, and passes that info to David Kilpatrick, so who knows what the camera(?) was. SAR doesn't believe it was an RX1.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,753Gear list
Like?
DT200 == Just having fun, everdog

DT200 wrote:

Welcome back.

DT200 is JustHavingFun/Everdog. He is behaving more decently this time around (past two weeks), but let there be no doubt. Same guy.

He gave it away by calling DP a Sony fan site (same thing he did with everydog account a couple of years ago -- yes I remember such things). Also, gleefully making it bold (and badly wishing DK rumor is true) that Nex lenses won't work on FF camera

Typical Everdog/Just Having Fun twist to all his posts

travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Sep 11, 2013

I obviously didn't make myself clear. My point is a 35/2.8 on a FF conpact camera - whatever its name - competes with the RX1 and it's 35/2. What Fuji did smartly was after releasing a X100 with a 23 (35 equiv) lens, they didn't release a 23 for the new interchangeable X Pro system until later, starting with non-competing focal lengths first 3 primes were 28, 50, and 90 equiv). Therefore fans of the sensor could rationalize getting all three primes along with their X100. My point was the first lenses for the coming Sony FF camera should not compete with their one compact FF camera in existence.
TBri

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads