anyone else deeply disturbed by this example from Sony?

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Discussions
bigwigthebig Forum Member • Posts: 60
anyone else deeply disturbed by this example from Sony?

I was on Sony's website today and saw this example of the types of things that the RX100 can do with it's beauty effects and think that the alien appearance of the picture on the right may haunt my dreams for quite some time.  This is the best that they can do?  I'm going to buy this camera just so that I can make everyone's irises twice the normal size.

Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Re: anyone else deeply disturbed by this example from Sony?

Lol, that is very odd.  And disturbing.

Les Berkley
Les Berkley Senior Member • Posts: 1,638

Hard to tell at this size, but it looks like a nice job for a one-click. Bet the subject would pick it over the other one. BTW, can we see some of YOUR portraits?

Les Berkley's gear list:Les Berkley's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,023
No, it's creepy. . .

This has nothing to do with the quality of the photographer and everything to do with the fantasies of some software engineer somewhere.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 11,809
Re: No, it's creepy. . .

Also with society's conceptions of female "beauty".  Don't get me started on that one.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Paul Farace
Paul Farace Contributing Member • Posts: 809
Creepy and unwanted!

I started using portrait professional a year or two ago... and was amazed at how often women DID NOT WANT me to use the sliders at anything other than "barely noticeable!" and the head-reshaping tools almost got me burned at the stake!

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
MPrince Senior Member • Posts: 1,700

It does not disturb me in the least because

a) I do not own any Sony cameras and

b) if I did own a Sony camera, and it had this feature, I would not use it.

CallMeAlan Contributing Member • Posts: 657

Les Berkley wrote:

. BTW, can we see some of YOUR portraits?

Hardly relevant is it?

-- hide signature --

I've been reading all about something called denial. I don't believe a word of it.

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro +1 more
Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631
Yes - it is creepy...

... but then I really don't like much of the so called 'beautifiyng' of portraits, anyway.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631

CallMeAlan wrote:

Les Berkley wrote:

. BTW, can we see some of YOUR portraits?

Hardly relevant is it?

Not at all.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
OP bigwigthebig Forum Member • Posts: 60

BTW, can we see some of YOUR portraits?

I probably can't shoot as well as the first picture but would know not to take a model as hot as that and turn it into the evil dimensional twin in the photo next to her.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

I don't see a reason to be disturbed by this any more than any kind of in-camera or post processing for that matter to "improve" along these lines. Yet, how many professionals can claim having never done it in PP?

Or, in this specific case, an effect normally attempted via mascara?

Instead of being disturbed by such effects, I simply choose not to worry about them much less put them to use.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
OP bigwigthebig Forum Member • Posts: 60

I think I figured out why there are a few people that seem to be a bit offended at what was just supposed to be a funny post.  I think maybe we're dealing with some cultural differences here.  Sony may have a large customer base that idealizes anime as beauty.  So, I apologize to anyone that has a loved one with irises the size of quarters, or whichever your largest form of coin denomination is.

I forgot that some people may idealize this kind of beauty found in this real photo:

Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Should have called it the dollify filter (nt)

No text.

lnguyenh Contributing Member • Posts: 685

yes. me !

DuaneV
DuaneV Senior Member • Posts: 1,350
Re: Creepy and unwanted!

Paul Farace wrote:

I started using portrait professional a year or two ago... and was amazed at how often women DID NOT WANT me to use the sliders at anything other than "barely noticeable!" and the head-reshaping tools almost got me burned at the stake!

Exactly the opposite of what is normally asked of my work.  Nearly every woman I shoot says, "Can you make me look 10 years younger and 20lbs lighter?" to which I reply, sure, and then proceed to show them on Portrait Pro.  But THEN I tell them its not really them, what they look like, etc., and I clean up their skin a bit, brighten their eyes, do NOT make them thinner and theyre quite happy with the results.  A little can go a long way.

pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,868

It upset me so much, I had to leave work and go to the lake.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Dan Marchant Veteran Member • Posts: 3,126
Re: Creepy and unwanted!

DuaneV wrote:

Paul Farace wrote:

Exactly the opposite of what is normally asked of my work. Nearly every woman I shoot says, "Can you make me look 10 years younger and 20lbs lighter?" to which I reply, sure, and then proceed to show them on Portrait Pro. But THEN I tell them its not really them, what they look like, etc., and I clean up their skin a bit, brighten their eyes, do NOT make them thinner and theyre quite happy with the results. A little can go a long way.

+1 to this. My G/F loves the fact that I get rid of the bags under her eyes and any spots that might have flared up but I am not really interested in changing the shape of her head or eliminating every detail from her skin and neither is she.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
f/2.8 is a smaller number than f/22 in the same way that 100 is a smaller number than 20.
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,917
Compared to Portrait P ads this is understated.

bigwigthebig wrote:

I was on Sony's website today and saw this example of the types of things that the RX100 can do with it's beauty effects and think that the alien appearance of the picture on the right may haunt my dreams for quite some time. This is the best that they can do? I'm going to buy this camera just so that I can make everyone's irises twice the normal size.

Disturbed? Not at all. The Portrait Pro ads featuring the girl with a face covered in blemishes etc and then revised to the consistency of percale is far more annoying and quite a bit more invasive and unrealistically fake looking than this. It is interesting that the after face has been zooming into a bit compared to the original. If they were not side by side or were printed as 9 x 12s and laying adjacent on a table I'd imagine most clients would choose the revised version but as was mentioned, it is really hard to tell at this size.

The "as hot as that" comment is laughable. Pleasant enough as a girl next door type but hardly justifying "as hot as that".

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,023
(n/t) Yeah but that's creepy too!
-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads