Should I switch from Pro1 to M1?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
ggsphoto
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Should I switch from Pro1 to M1?
11 months ago

I would like to replace my pro1 with an m1 for size reasons but would miss pro-neg lo and hi.  Anyone know

a) taking an astia shot how to turn it into pro-neg hi or low in post processing (or do you know if they will be available in a firmware upgrade in the future ?

b) Not so sure I'dmiss the viewfinder, in bright light I hear the lcd can be turned up at the expense of clipped highlights (doesn't sound so bad)

c) no switch for manua/c/s focus switching.

Articulated lcd is a big plus, I miss this from my oly c5050z

Anyone migrated from pro-1 to m-1 and like to share the experience ?

Thanks.

ANSWER:
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,334Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I switch from Pro1 to M1?
In reply to ggsphoto, 11 months ago

ggsphoto wrote:

I would like to replace my pro1 with an m1 for size reasons but would miss pro-neg lo and hi. Anyone know

a) taking an astia shot how to turn it into pro-neg hi or low in post processing (or do you know if they will be available in a firmware upgrade in the future ?

b) Not so sure I'dmiss the viewfinder, in bright light I hear the lcd can be turned up at the expense of clipped highlights (doesn't sound so bad)

Thanks.

Why is XE-1 not an option?

OR

switch to Micro Four Thirds.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?

ggsphoto wrote:

I would like to replace my pro1 with an m1 for size reasons but would miss pro-neg lo and hi. Anyone know

a) taking an astia shot how to turn it into pro-neg hi or low in post processing (or do you know if they will be available in a firmware upgrade in the future ?

Thanks.

Three months ago you referred to your pro1 as a "dream camera" with much to master. Now you are considering downgrading to a lower tier in the Fuji lineup.

I'm sure you're aware that Astia, Pro-neg, etc. are simply digital filters to render different JPEGs from the same raw data. The only way I know that you might get Pro-Neg look from an X-M1 is to shoot raw + JPEG, hang on to your XP1, insert the card from your X-M1 into your X-P1, and re-convert the raw file to the Pro-Neg look. Short of that, you can play with settings now by shooting Raw+JPEG (Pro-Neg) with your XP1, and then attempting to PP the raw file until you achieve the look given by your OOC Pro-Neg JPEG. Once you have arrived at those settings, they could be applied to any X-M1 raw file.

If you want to achieve a Pro-Neg JPEG look from the X-M1, a raw file would be a much better beginning point than an OOC Astia JPEG.

I expect that few have "migrated" from the top-of-the-line Pro-1 to the bottom-of-the-line M-1, even though some have certainly picked up an M-1 as a smaller companion to their Pro-1.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
ggsphoto
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 11 months ago

Ok - let me give you the background....before I bought the pro1 I had bought the x10.  I liked this but the quality was good but not exceptional.  Its hung around on my shelf for a year and I'm currently selling it on ebay, and have actually bought an M1 now and am waiting for it to arrive.

Ok - so - the M1 is really a replacement of the x10 I have - i.e. light and the same pro1 sensor, fantastic, I can put it in my pocket and it can come everywhere with me.  But then I got to thinking, its the same sensor as my pro1, so are the features I like on the pro1 good engouh to justify keeping it.  I could sell it for around £550 on ebay and that can go to my future fund.

My no1 priority is IQ - so for me the pro1 pretty much equals the M1...yes, I love my pro1 and I'm hoping I'll love the M1.  If I had one single criticism of the pro1 is I cannot get it in my trouser pocket !

X-E1 is not an option because its still too big, and micro 4/3 isn't really an option now I have the lenses I want for the X range...I think the IQ on the x-trans is better than the 4/3rds...

So I just wanted to get a feel for what others though about the M1 in case I do something rash and sell the pro1 without using the M1 enough !

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

ggsphoto wrote:

If I had one single criticism of the pro1 is I cannot get it in my trouser pocket !

X-M1 won't fit in your trouser pocket, either, except MAYBE with the pancake lens.

Alexander2505
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 11 months ago

It depends on the size of a pocket, heavy pro requires strong belt then...

Alexander2505's gear list:Alexander2505's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
ggsphoto
Like?
In reply to Alexander2505, 11 months ago

Of course you are right - it has to be the pancake or I think the 18mm (which I have) should be okay.  The X10 fits no problem.

I reckon I could get away with the 35 in one pocket, x-m1 body in the other, eh?  now we're talking....

JayK_dpreview
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?

This is just a personal opinion but is is still going to be big and uncomfortable to walk around with. Also being able to carry in pockets means you want it to be handy and depending on what kind of shooting you are targeting its not a great idea to take body from one pocket, lens from other, put it on, turn it on, meter it, compose and click.

You might be better served with something like a Richo GR or Canon S95/S100.

slowhand73
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
In reply to JayK_dpreview, 11 months ago

jjsphoto was apparently happy with the size of the X10. The X10 and M1 body are almost the same size. The difference will be in the length he'll choose.

I, myself, thinking of replacing my X20 with M1+27mm pancake (and one of the zoom lens 16-50 or 18-55).

slowhand73's gear list:slowhand73's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +2 more
ggsphoto
Like?
In reply to JayK_dpreview, 11 months ago

The Ricoh gr is certainly a very interesting camera  - but for many reasons I think the M1 is better.  Plus I have the X lenses I can snap onto it.  Sure, once at youre destination pulling out the 35mm and snapping it on the body is not a 2 second job, but its pretty fast and it can be carried from then on.  It doesnt' really matter, piont is its really really convenient...

If you check out camerasize.com, the m1 is the same size as the x10 - perhaps slightly bigger with the 18mm lens.  I was able to take this camera out and use it - parks, countryside, walks, commute up to london etc - and having it in your pocket is just fantastic.  Yes, its not small but very convenient.  Its not iphone sized...but get this - 8 years ago I lugged around a D300 and a sigma lens the size of a tank, and i'll be getting better images out of my m1 and its in my pocket !

gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?

X-M 1: 4.6 x 2.62 x 1.54″

X-PRO 1: 5.5 x 3.2 x 1.7"

Yes, smaller...

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?

Why downgrade to a lesser camera just to fit in your pocket?  Just get an appropriately sized bag.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to JYPfoto, 11 months ago

To be honest, I was surprised to see how much smaller the X-M1 is.  Still have to deal with lens size, though...

JYPfoto
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 11 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

To be honest, I was surprised to see how much smaller the X-M1 is. Still have to deal with lens size, though...

It certainly is smaller but ability to put into one's pocket should be the last thing to come into consideration when dealing with a MILC.  Maybe if you're talking about compact P&S, but for a interchangeable system then no.  There's far too many trade offs with the obvious downgrade (losing superior build, viewfinder, etc).  Even more silly is the OP's suggestion of carrying a 35 1.4 in one pocket and the camera in another.

Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
javaone360
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?

I got the X-M1 and X-Pro1.  X-M1 is good, but it doesn't have the OVF/EVF.  It is not small enough compared to my Ricoh GR.  X-M1 with 18mm/27mm may be good for winter jacket's pocket.

The X-M1 AF such as face recognition and continuous tracking is not avaliable on X-Pro1.  It gives us some ideas what the future X-Pro camera will be like.  If you want to carry a small camera with a prime lens, the X-M1 is not a bad option.  I still prefer my Ricoh GR.  I believe the IQ is the same as X-Pro1.

The WiFi function saves you some money to buy a WiFi SD card.  It also has a built-in flash.

javaone360's gear list:javaone360's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 +27 more
ggsphoto
Like?
In reply to javaone360, 11 months ago

Just to recap - sounds like the m1 will work for me.   Interesting points but fitting in trouser pocket really is important - it transitions a the camer from (still) something I'm concious of taking out on trips out anywhere to something I will probably always carry.   the evf/ovf sure is good, but really, I could live without it...and the tilting lcd really is very very useful.

Keeping a lens in one pocket/camera in the other ?  Sure its daft, but not that daft.  I love the fact this kits so small, I love the fact my pro1 is so so much smaller than my old d300, this kidn if thing is important.  Build qualty?   Really?  I don't care, I want the camera to last 3 years at most by that time I'll be buying the x-pro2 or x-m2.

I'll do a comparison of the two when it comes and let you all know....

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
JYPfoto
Like?

ggsphoto wrote:

Just to recap - sounds like the m1 will work for me.   Interesting points but fitting in trouser pocket really is important - it transitions a the camer from (still) something I'm concious of taking out on trips out anywhere to something I will probably always carry.   the evf/ovf sure is good, but really, I could live without it...and the tilting lcd really is very very useful.

Keeping a lens in one pocket/camera in the other ?  Sure its daft, but not that daft.  I love the fact this kits so small, I love the fact my pro1 is so so much smaller than my old d300, this kidn if thing is important.  Build qualty?   Really?  I don't care, I want the camera to last 3 years at most by that time I'll be buying the x-pro2 or x-m2.

I'll do a comparison of the two when it comes and let you all know....

If it works for you, then great.  Just sounds kind of crazy to want to carry a body in one pocket and a lens in the other.  Make sure you keep track of the rear lens cap as well as the body cap.

Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?

Why don't you just use a photog vest?  Put the X P 1 in a pocket with the pancake and the other lens in the other pocket.  You can slip your X10 in the breast pocket for a backup.

-- hide signature --

www.MartinDareff.com

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
rxbot
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?

While I think the XM  1  is overpriced I think it would go very well with the 27mm pancake and wonder if there is an aftermarket optical viewfinder that would work with it. The 40mm equivalent lens would be great as a walkaround streetshooter lens and would be the smallest package. Think cargo pants pocket. And trade the pro1 when the X-E1s comes out.

Torch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?

A
ok go with the M1 and know the quality differerence will make you feel the M1 is a temporary camera, but you will enjoy the articulated LCD like a c5050z. In its day that cam was as much as a X100s. You will keep in X-trans and carry on.

It's tough to leave a flagship camera and not notice what's lost, yet if newer is better then so be it. Oly may be improved, but enough to match X-trans is up to you.
--

Torch

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads