* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 281, 13 09 11 *

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Photos
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,171Gear list
Like?
Re: 29 Ford Woody
In reply to 19andrew47, Sep 12, 2013

Hi Andrew,

I remember this photo, of course. I like the B&W and Sepia tone versions. The last one is fun too. Those are great special affects. It's amazing how you were able to clone in the trees over the other cars, It really makes the car look like it's part of a barnyard scene. Nice work on the pp. Thanks for posting this again.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave gaines
Like?
Re: White Rose, with Dill
In reply to Zindanfel, Sep 12, 2013

Nice image,

I looked at this airy ruffled sheet for a minute before I saw it was a rose. I was still trying to find the dill too. Now I see it, rose and dill. Once I saw the rose petals for what they are I couldn't look at it as a ruffled sheet again.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Like?
Re: The Lion and the Lamb
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Sep 12, 2013

What a great pairing. The downtrodden is a lamb. Says so on his shirt. He's beering up for a hot day. Or it's your average Vegas tourist, bedraggled and beat from a long night of gambling. Off his regular clock, he's not fairing so well.

-- hide signature --

Dave

stephent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,365
Like?

Hi mate a pretty powerful take on the gambling industry.  Maybe those are not this mans problems but the juxtaposition of the two makes a great image.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Inhabited Ruins and a sunbeam in to Black and white..
In reply to LouHolland, Sep 12, 2013

Hi mate, classic country scene, the sunbeam adds much to the image as does the processing. The only change that I can see would be to lose a little of the grass along the bottom, to really draw your eye to the wonderful building.

I can picture this on a winters day with mist rising from the surrounding water.

Something for winter perhaps?

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Kingen does Heartbreak Hotel
In reply to Fixxxer, Sep 12, 2013

Hi mate, I believe this one to be better than the first. The classic mic only adds to the image, I would still like the two on the left and lower left removed.

I suppose these days we should be glad for photoshop, can save an image that in the film days would not be possible.

It's just finding the time to edit all we shoot

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: A city square
In reply to tinternaut, Sep 12, 2013

Hi mate, well balanced image, as you may know I like contrast in my images and I believe you have taken this about as far as you can go without it appearing to flat.

As for the scene the single pigeon seems so out of place that in such a built up area. Perfectly place like an artist signature .

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: sunbeam walkway
In reply to minniev, Sep 12, 2013

Hi mate beautiful image, I wish our Forrest was like that.

I like the tree on the right, adds a strong foreground that leads you through to the trees receding into the mist. It provides a lot of depth to the image.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Re: Strawberry Peak red bush
In reply to dave gaines, Sep 12, 2013

Hi mate, the three tell a story but the third one stands alone. Wonderful image.

Regards.

Stephen.

stephent
Like?
Group reply to Stillness.

LouHolland wrote:

Stephent, a really lovely shot and if I have to look it over and over again, you could say there is someting wrong but I don't know what... or you could say, it is so lovely to look at, I probably can't do anything to improve it. I will choose for the last option. However to give it a slight more swamp feeling I couldn't hold myself back. So I have done some slight work on the light and dark parts as it has to got a tiny bit more in balans, Anyway that is just personal. I made a seperate layer from the top to blend it in, so the lighter parts still hold it own color and I've used some burn tools and blendings. It's all just a tiny bit. Stephent this prove will be removed within five days. You may think or say everyting about it.

Lou

Thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks for the reprocessing Lou. I like what you have done very subtle,  adds a lot to the image.

Please feel free to leave it in place

Regards.

Stephen.

Fixxxer
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?

Without the guy wearing that Lamb Of God shirt this would only be a nice photo, but because the man is there and wears that particular shirt the photo gets so much deeper and more illusive in a way. And it helps that he's looking so beaten too. I think it's a brilliant photo! If I were to be a bit constructive I can't really see what could have changed, to be honest. But if there's something perhaps that very light white thing under the lion could have been less overexposed? But that kind of feels more like a stupid thing to say because I had to bring something up rather than something that this photo would need. Very nice one, Roel!

Fixxxer's gear list:Fixxxer's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Pentax K100D Olympus E-620 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Fixxxer
Like?
Re: A city square
In reply to tinternaut, Sep 12, 2013

Very appealing indeed. An almost universal street scene from one of the old countries. It certainly reminds me plenty of Stockholm, my capital, at least and the amount of crowd and such going on feels just enough to appreciate it.

I would like to see how this scene would play out in black and white, have you tried that?

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Pentax K100D Olympus E-620 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Fixxxer
Like?

Well appart from the big tree I'd say this is as close to perfect as you get with a scene like this. The big tree could perhaps be used better had you shot the scene in portrait? I don't know but it's not that distracting or anything when it's there either. I think this looks like a very gorgeous forrest scene. The early morning in the swamp definitely paid off.

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,351
Like?

In the first one, the highlights are a bit distracting.

The B&W and the sepia look fine and fit the subject, although I might consider a more "faded" sepia look.

The last one is, indeed, fun, and I also do that kind of over-the-top processing occasionally but not often.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Just one thought immediately popped into my mind.
In reply to Zindanfel, Sep 12, 2013

Edward WESTON...

Hard to look at sensuous organic curves of leaves, fruits and vegetables without thinking of Weston.

Maybe I am not that much into soft-ice cream.

Your perspective is different : a flower watched from the sidelines.  I like it but am unsure about the seeds : we see too little or too much, IMHO

Zindanfel wrote:

With Sigma 17-70 lens.

Work around the homestead recently hasn't afforded much shooting time, so here's one from a few weeks ago, a white rose (non-climbing) which grew high enough for me to snap this picture from our second-floor deck -- around 12 feet (3.6m). A volunteer dill plant matched it for height, which surprised me greatly; when I plant dill seed it's not nearly so successful.

I dithered over where to crop the left side, and whether to do some cleanup clone work in the lower corners, then decided not to bother.

Does the image remind you of soft-serve ice cream?

-- hide signature --

Zin

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: Inhabited Ruins and a sunbeam in to Black and white..

I'm not a big fan of selective colouring/B&W.

I think I would prefer this view in just colour or just B&W.

And maybe cropped to a square, with less empty foreground.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Like?

minniev wrote:

I took a bunch of pictures this morning just after sunrise in the swamp up the Trace. I'd been waiting impatiently for a morning with fog to see what the early sun might look like there. It was only a tiny bit of fog & didn't last long. I got eaten alive by mosquitos. Came away with a lot of intriguing shots that I don't know quite what to do with, wish I could post a dozen for your advice. May slip some of them into other threads. I didn't want the big tree on the right but when I moved a bit left the beams went away, so I just accepted it. I'm standing on the second step going down to the bridge, trying to keep the steps out because they are ugly and distracting.

Sunbeams are always nice to watch and photograph.

No exception here.  It reminded me of the path taken by the Elves of Rivendel when they leave for the Grey Havens.  Only they seemed to float over the forest's soil, rather than need a walkway...

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,381Gear list
Like?

Roel, I only included the ooc file as an indication of the starting point.  Absolutely nothing was done to it to improve its appearance and I would not consider worthy of posting anywhere or even for my own viewing.  At this point I have made no serious attempt to do anything with the colour version as a few brief initial tries didn't look very promising but that was before the work on the monochrome so I may have to go back and revisit it.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Andrew

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,381Gear list
Like?
29 Ford Woody Workflow

If you think about it Lou, when you look at glass and you are looking at something with thickness approaching the edge, the glass edge will often look darker than the middle portion due to the way the bending at the edge affects the transmission of light. From that perspective, what happens at the border between the trees and sky is not surprising, but it is not very attractive either. Didn't play with this after this process so I am not sure if anything can be done to subdue that effect, but it is likely possible.

With regard to the workflow I used on the monotone image it is as follows below.

1. The image was imported into LR 4.4 and converted to monochrome by selecting black and white and then the crop, exposure, tone curve adjustments, were done followed by adjusting the colour sliders which reduced some of the highlights and reflections considerably (blues primarily). Then flipped the image and applied a graduated filter to the bottom right (before flipping) and flipped it back. Exported the image as the best possible quality jpg.

2. The exported image was opened in Corel PSPX5 Ultimate for cloning. Except for very small area clones I have stopped using LR for that purpose as PSP does a much better job. (Although I have purchased Capture One, I really haven't used it much yet so this workflow could change.) Here I started with the easier stuff, people, hat, white cloth or ? on the table in the background. That much is about where I was when I posted the version in the monochrome thread.

3. Removal of the other cars (including the part visible through the windshield) was then started. The car removal took about 1.5 h. This was all done using PSP's clone brush. For the parts closest to the Woody I used 3:1 or 2:1 magnified view (two or three times 1:1) and a very small brush which was guided by hand using the mouse along the edges of the woody. At times it was necessary to decrease the size or modify the shape. Small sections in one pass so they could be undone and redone if necessary since moving the mouse along the edge is not all that easy for me to do. (Have considered buying a Watcom pad for this purpose.) With the PSP clone tool, the clone area moves with the targeted area which works very well indeed as it transfers an entire area to a new location and overlapping without changing the clone area location provides integrity of the section to be transferred. You need to choose appropriate areas as always to transfer. You also need to watch both where you are moving the mouse and where the clone area moves at the same time. Once I was away from the surface of the Woody, it was much faster as the size of the clone area could be increased a lot. The area in the windshield of the Woody and around the hood ornament were the most difficult. The windshield area because there was a very limited amount of area to choose from for suitable clone material. The final result was then saved again at the largest possible best quality jpg available.  There may be easier ways to do this, but if so I have not yet learned them!

4. The brown toned image was done from the saved image above by using a split tone process in PSP and the fun image was done using a 'chrome' conversion in PSP, but both required significant adjustment of parameters to get the look shown.

5. Stupid thing I did!!! Did all of this in mono so if I want to do the colour image I would have to start again. On the other hand, I did some clone work on another image in the past followed by some other modifications and got a really bad result so I now do the cloning after the other work which has its own issues and problems.

Andrew

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,538Gear list
Like?
Re: Black and White looks best

You've managed to recover the sky quite nicely after processing.  OOC looks a little blown (and not just the white sky).

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads