Got my VCL-ECU1: Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Started Sep 10, 2013 | Discussions
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?
Got my VCL-ECU1: Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!
Sep 10, 2013

I'm really pleased. I am going to use this a lot!

@f2.8 (check the wheels of the car at right, and leaves above it - basically, same performance of the bare lens, but maybe - maybe - a bit better

@f4 - improvement is clear

@f6.3 - really, really nice

@f9 - fine!

@f13

I think it looks very good for what it is - and with the right light, could be great. Looks well behaved, better than I could have expected from a bolt-on.

I know Victor (verybiglebowski) believes it's only an illusion that it is sharper than the bare 16, but I like the illusion.

Thanks to you all for your sample images.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
mike winslow
Contributing MemberPosts: 546Gear list
Like?
Re: Got my VCL-ECU1: Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!
In reply to Mel Snyder, Sep 10, 2013

It's a blast in an art museum.. so many interesting things, and a slight change in angle is a totally different shot..

-- hide signature --

Mike

mike winslow's gear list:mike winslow's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
shaolin95
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124Gear list
Like?
In reply to mike winslow, Sep 10, 2013

mike winslow wrote:

It's a blast in an art museum.. so many interesting things, and a slight change in angle is a totally different shot..

-- hide signature --

Mike

Oh so true!
I used it more than any other lens going to Museums like Aerospace, Dinosaurs, etc. You will start seeing things differently and approaching different angles as you get used to it for very dramatic shots.

I would recommend getting the Fisheye too. I was a fisheye hater for the most part or more a I dont care for that attitude, but now I love it.

Regards

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Xperia Z Ultra +11 more
mike winslow
Like?
In reply to shaolin95, Sep 10, 2013

This one was allot of fun.. Must have 20 shots or more with different angles, DRO, HDR etc..  And then on the ride back, the NYC skyline from the inside..  lol.. I thought that I was going to take a picture or two, and ended up leaving in the camera for the whole visit..  It was like tasting a new food.. Just exquisite to roll it around on your tongue.. metaphorically speaking..

-- hide signature --

Mike

Mel Snyder
Like?

shaolin95 wrote:

mike winslow wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike

Oh so true!
I used it more than any other lens going to Museums like Aerospace, Dinosaurs, etc. You will start seeing things differently and approaching different angles as you get used to it for very dramatic shots.

I would recommend getting the Fisheye too. I was a fisheye hater for the most part or more a I dont care for that attitude, but now I love it.

Regards

Thanks - but I already own a Rokinon 8mm, so I have the fisheye nailed. It's razor sharp, but I use it mostly VERY horizontal to enable correction with Image Trends "Hemi." But I wanted something that was less distorting when shot less than horizontal, and for cathedral interiors.

This will fill the bill, I think.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
shaolin95
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124Gear list
Like?

BTW, not sure how it is there but here in Utah the last Museum I went to was funny. I was carrying my bag with all me lenses and my nex at hand any my GF had her Nex-F3 as well. We were asked if we had a tripod and I said no...so she said, it is fine then to take pics because if you have a tripod that makes it professional photography which is not allowed . Hilarious

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Xperia Z Ultra +11 more
mike winslow
Like?

shaolin95 wrote:

BTW, not sure how it is there but here in Utah the last Museum I went to was funny. I was carrying my bag with all me lenses and my nex at hand any my GF had her Nex-F3 as well. We were asked if we had a tripod and I said no...so she said, it is fine then to take pics because if you have a tripod that makes it professional photography which is not allowed . Hilarious

That's funny.  I think the Met has a similar policy too now that you mention it, but they didnt say anything about it making you into a "pro".

-- hide signature --

Mike

Mel Snyder
Like?

mike winslow wrote:

This one was allot of fun.. Must have 20 shots or more with different angles, DRO, HDR etc.. And then on the ride back, the NYC skyline from the inside.. lol.. I thought that I was going to take a picture or two, and ended up leaving in the camera for the whole visit.. It was like tasting a new food.. Just exquisite to roll it around on your tongue.. metaphorically speaking..

-- hide signature --

Mike

As an adoptee of the city (1967-1997), I'm well aware of the city's photographic potential. I love going back. But 9-11 was traumatic for me, and for a year to the day, I stayed away. Then, armed with a primitive EVF camera, I went back for 9-11-2002, and exorcised the demons.┬áThat gallery represents what I think photography is for.

Mel Snyder
Like?

shaolin95 wrote:

It's not just Utah - it's global. I got my small chest-pod discovered on a scanner getting into the Haga Sophia church/mosque in Istanbul last year. I got stopped in the scanner at the Vatican Museum 2 years earlier

I'm leaving it home this year. I have a tiny plastic device that doesn't look like a tripod that I can put in my pocket. I have a pacemaker, so I can't go through a magnetometer, and am never scanned at museums.

Mel Snyder
Like?

mike winslow wrote:

shaolin95 wrote:

That's funny. I think the Met has a similar policy too now that you mention it, but they didnt say anything about it making you into a "pro".

-- hide signature --

Mike

There are places that allow you to pay a "pro" fee and use them. Rarely worth the cost and delay.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,495Gear list
Like?

mike winslow wrote:

shaolin95 wrote:

That's funny. I think the Met has a similar policy too now that you mention it, but they didnt say anything about it making you into a "pro".

-- hide signature --

Mike

Yes, I have heard this rule before. But the GF (or wife) can make up for not having a sturdy tripod, just use her shoulder!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Chris 1
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?

Mel, I like it.. My problem is I cant always remember if a shot was taken with the VCL-ECU1, I think this was. BTW Boston is absolutely awesome, first time visiting.

Well if it's not the VCL sorry, the locale is just so awesome for pics

-Chris

Chris 1's gear list:Chris 1's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
cwood
Contributing MemberPosts: 651
Like?
In reply to Chris 1, Sep 10, 2013

Look forward to seeing what you do with it!  I also have the fisheye and enjoy it too in moderation.

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Sep 10, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

mike winslow wrote:

shaolin95 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike

Yes, I have heard this rule before. But the GF (or wife) can make up for not having a sturdy tripod, just use her shoulder!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

My partner Sandy is just 5 feet tall in her stocking feet. Top of her head is a perfect height. When I called her my "favorite tripod" the other day, she corrected me: "I'm a BIPOD."

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to Chris 1, Sep 10, 2013

Chris 1 wrote:

Mel, I like it.. My problem is I cant always remember if a shot was taken with the VCL-ECU1, I think this was. BTW Boston is absolutely awesome, first time visiting.

Well if it's not the VCL sorry, the locale is just so awesome for pics

-Chris

The building tilt suggests it is. Though I live just outside Boston, I am not a fan. I moved her because 9 years ago, I met my partner on a dating site. I'm a Yankee fan. This has not been a good year.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads