Two FZ200 Questions

Started 7 months ago | Questions
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,111Gear list
Like?
Two FZ200 Questions
7 months ago

I just received my new FZ200, replacing the one I sold in Feb or March. I have two questions:

• Does the camera come with a battery cover? Replacement batteries tend to and (as I recall) some Panasonic cameras/bodies do and some don't. What was your experience with FZ200?
  • I like to use the single area focus, and the smallest area. Is there a way to keep the area from resetting when the camera is turned off then on? This may have been an issue with my first FZ200 (or not) but is not an issue with my GH3.
-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
richj20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,730
Like?
Re: Two FZ200 Questions
In reply to PC Wheeler, 7 months ago

PC Wheeler wrote:

I just received my new FZ200, replacing the one I sold in Feb or March. I have two questions:

• Does the camera come with a battery cover?

No. I purchased a backup battery, Wasabi BTR-BLC12-JWP which does have a cover

• I like to use the single area focus, and the smallest area. Is there a way to keep the area from resetting when the camera is turned off then on?

Unfortunately, no.

- Richard

-- hide signature --

"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Like?
In reply to richj20, 7 months ago

Oh Drat re the AF area size. Looks like it can easily be resized by hitting left rocker button and moving the dial. Hmm .. wonder if it can be stored in C1 or C2? I'll give that a look.

Thanks for the quick reply, Richard.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033Gear list
Like?

PC Wheeler wrote:

Oh Drat re the AF area size. Looks like it can easily be resized by hitting left rocker button and moving the dial. Hmm .. wonder if it can be stored in C1 or C2? I'll give that a look.

That doesn't work either, as you've probably discovered yourself by now.

My LF1 saves the size and position automatically, and now that I am getting used to a camera that does, the absence of this simple feature on the FZ200 is even more irritating.

Here's hoping this gets fixed with a firmware update some time soon.

PC Wheeler
Like?
In reply to cainn24, 7 months ago

cainn24 wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

That doesn't work either, as you've probably discovered yourself by now.

Yup, I did. However, I found a quicker (for me) way to change the size: Tap the Focus button on the lens, move the dial, and then re-tap that button. Using the rocker button is less certain with all the other things to hit in that area. Anyway, I'll try shooting with the default area for a while (probably did that with FZ200 #1); perhaps it focuses faster that way..

I re-bought the FZ200 because having 25-600 mm of really good IQ with an f/2.8 is so much more convenient than hauling my GH3, 100-300 and at least one other lens. So far I'm quite pleased with this new FZ200, IQ-wise and otherwise

My LF1 saves the size and position automatically, and now that I am getting used to a camera that does, the absence of this simple feature on the FZ200 is even more irritating.

Yes, I'm sure my lowly TZ5 of long ago saved the size and position, too. Surprising they didn't get it right with the FZ200.

Here's hoping this gets fixed with a firmware update some time soon.

Hoping but with limited expectation

-- hide signature --

Phil

RayUK
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?

PC Wheeler wrote:

I like to use the single area focus, and the smallest area. Is there a way to keep the area from resetting when the camera is turned off then on? This may have been an issue with my first FZ200 (or not) but is not an issue with my GH3.

-- hide signature --

Phil

This is something which also really annoys me. I guess that  most of us wanting to use the 1-area focus do so because we want the smallest possible focus area. But Panny obviously think using the default larger area is the norm. Please have a re-think Panny - the norm should be the smallest possible area, with the option of increasing it's size if wanted - but why would you?

Ray

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,716Gear list
Like?

Glad you went back to the FZ200.  I did much the same thing.  Be very careful with the hood.  The ones on my FZ200's were VERY stiff to mount or dismount and I'm pretty sure that mounting and/or dismounting with the lens extended screwed up my first one.  I fixed that with the current one by filing and sanding down the locking lugs until I had a positve lock; but with very little torque required to seat and unseat.  In the meantime, don't mount/dismount, store/unstore the hood with the camera ON, unless yours needs low torque - some apparently do; but mine didn't.  The FZ150 was perfect right out of the box, and served as my model for the feel on wanted on the 200.

I swear my current one acts differently than the early one I had.  I'd be very interested to see how you think your two compare.

Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
Holmes375
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, 7 months ago

I did similar mods to mine.  Out of the box it was certainly more stiff than I was comfortable with.

-- hide signature --
 Holmes375's gear list:Holmes375's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF
PC Wheeler
Like?
In reply to richj20, 7 months ago

richj20 wrote:

I use Wasabis, too, Rich. I generally buy two with charger, which also gives me a car charging capability. I've had very good luck with that brand -- and have two for the FZ200 (and my GH3). Mine came with the battery covers, too -- and so did a Panasonic spare for my GX1.

Maybe Panasonic figures that one battery will always be in the camera and needs no cover. But one earlier Panny (GH1?) did come with a cover for the battery supplied with the camera.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, 7 months ago

GeraldW wrote:

Glad you went back to the FZ200. I did much the same thing. Be very careful with the hood. The ones on my FZ200's were VERY stiff to mount or dismount and I'm pretty sure that mounting and/or dismounting with the lens extended screwed up my first one. I fixed that with the current one by filing and sanding down the locking lugs until I had a positve lock; but with very little torque required to seat and unseat. In the meantime, don't mount/dismount, store/unstore the hood with the camera ON, unless yours needs low torque - some apparently do; but mine didn't. The FZ150 was perfect right out of the box, and served as my model for the feel on wanted on the 200.

Ditto, Jerry. My FZ150 was a better fit. Both FZ200s were stiff. But I never remove the hood, well have not as yet. The two bags I use hold the camera with hood in shooting position, just. Hmm .. I do plan to order a 52 mm Canon 500D close up lens. Installing that will require the mod you did,, so I may be back with another question if I can't dope out how to do the mod.

I swear my current one acts differently than the early one I had. I'd be very interested to see how you think your two compare.

Acts differently: In what way? I'm not seeing any diffs, but then I didn't recall about the size of the focus area resetting so ... . I'm at the age where too many brain cells are going bye-bye

-- hide signature --

Phil

richj20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,730
Like?

PC Wheeler wrote:

richj20 wrote:

I use Wasabis, too, Rich. I generally buy two with charger, which also gives me a car charging capability.

Phil,

I purchased that 2 battery/charger kit for my G3 because that camera really drains batteries! But with the FZ200, I went 3 1/2 days on one battery when I first got the camera, so I didn't think I needed more than one extra battery.

On a recent trip to the Sequoia National Forest, taking many shots (2 or 3 for each flower) I never used up the Panasonic Battery iin one day. One time, the Wasabi battery went down to 1 bar.

I'm *very* happy about the battery life for the FZ200!

- Richard

-- hide signature --

"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads