Will glass prices bounce upwards?

Started Sep 10, 2013 | Discussions
Promit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
Will glass prices bounce upwards?
Sep 10, 2013

Surprised that I'm not seeing any discussions about this, though I just skimmed. I'm sure many of you have noticed the sinking prices for 4/3 lenses as the system's future looked increasingly circumspect. Now, we're about to see a new camera with a new highly competent sensor that will be able to use this glass very well.

So just maybe, is the HG/SHG glass pricing going to start climbing upwards as demand is revived for these gorgeous lenses?

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,464
Like?
Re: Will glass prices bounce upwards?
In reply to Promit, Sep 10, 2013

If the previews were shouting "ZOMG you can't believe how fast 4/3 lenses focus on the E-M1!" then perhaps, although there's considerable ambivalence about their size among µ4/3 shooters. But, since they're only saying focus performance is better than with previous µ4/3 cameras, but not the equal of an E-body, I'll be surprised if there's a rush. Could be the opposite effect if fence-sitters jump into another line of cameras and ditch their accumulated 4/3 gear.

Think I still want a 35-100/2.0 but do want to know more about that 40-150/2.8, since it has a more distinct future.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dahod
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Sinking???
In reply to Promit, Sep 10, 2013

I must have missed it.

I've been looking for some SHG glass for a while but they're less available now than they were a year ago.

Point them my way if you hear of any at a good price.

Thanks

Dave

sirharold
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Sep 10, 2013

If your into bokah then the 35-100 is the lens for you. If you shoot in the late afternoon then the 35-100 is for you. My 50-200mm spends most of the time in storage.

sirharold's gear list:sirharold's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +16 more
Philly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
What about price of 12-60mm?
In reply to Promit, Sep 11, 2013

I held on to my 12-60mm even though I no longer have an Oly DSLR.  I just thought that I would not be able to get a comparable quality/performance lens once Oly gets PDAF into m4/3.  Now, it appears that they have have done it, albeit with a shorter range, with the 12-40mm f2.8.  I kind of like the new lens, and now I'm wondering how much I can get for my 12-60mm.  Needless to say, if I had known that Oly would deliver the 12-40mm f2.8 in m4/3, I may have sold my 12-60mm earlier.  Now, I think its value may have gone down in the used market.

I'm kind of tempted to sell my 12-60mm now, but, realistically, I should wait for the 12-40mm reviews.

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
Are All FT lenses now classified "Legacy"? n/t
-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"
E500, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, E620, 14-42mm, 40-150mm.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,885Gear list
Like?
Re: Are All FT lenses now classified "Legacy"? n/t
In reply to OlyChamp, Sep 11, 2013

Thane,  I think you misspelled it - "Legendary" is what they are  

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,391Gear list
Like?
Re: Are All FT lenses now classified "Legacy"? n/t
In reply to Messier Object, Sep 11, 2013

One has to ask, how many 4/3rds cameras and lenses are extant compared to Canon, Nikon, maybe even Pentax.  I consider the prices solid or higher; there just isn't that many of each out there in my opinion. It seems a fair number of E-500; E-600s were sold with the kit 2 lenses.  The other lenses?????

mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280Gear list
Like?
Not SHG, perhaps, ...
In reply to dahod, Sep 11, 2013

... but here in Australia the price of most HG and all SG glass has sunk to the point where it wouldn't be worth selling if I has some to sell. If I was in the market for some lenses in these categories, I'd definitely be shopping.

Mario

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,889Gear list
Like?

Promit wrote:

Surprised that I'm not seeing any discussions about this, though I just skimmed. I'm sure many of you have noticed the sinking prices for 4/3 lenses as the system's future looked increasingly circumspect. Now, we're about to see a new camera with a new highly competent sensor that will be able to use this glass very well.

So just maybe, is the HG/SHG glass pricing going to start climbing upwards as demand is revived for these gorgeous lenses?

I have not noticed a major collapse, or sinking, of prices for HG and SHG lenses.  As for the future, my crystal ball is in the shop, so no idea there.  Time alone will tell.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads