A few macros for you

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
jwhphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
A few macros for you
7 months ago

with the V2 and Sigma 150 macro ( I really wish this lens had VR)

The look of innocence! It was hidden well into the shadows. I had to move a few leaves to get the shot.

Perhaps not so innocent. The mantis caught this bee right in front of me.

It is a rough and tough world out there.

-- hide signature --

John

Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Miskec
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146
Like?
Re: A few macros for you
In reply to jwhphotos, 7 months ago

jwhphotos wrote:

with the V2 and Sigma 150 macro ( I really wish this lens had VR)

-- hide signature --

John

The praying mantis one's are the best. Green, green, green

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WD
WD
Regular MemberPosts: 482
Like?

Very nice.  The Sigma works well for me as well, though the AF is not quite the equal of Nikkor lenses...more hunting, more missed AF, more need to manually fine tune.  However, it is very sharp and is capable of good photos as you've shown.  Agreed about VR.  I believe a newer version is available with VR.

-- hide signature --

Warren

RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?

Very nice, or not so nice depending on how much you like bugs eating bugs!

Sigma makes a couple macros with OS, they run a grand plus/minus.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
jwhphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
In reply to RonFrank, 7 months ago

I've been ogling the Nikon 85 f3.5 macro. Maybe someday.

-- hide signature --

John

TClair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632Gear list
Like?

Excellent images!

TClair's gear list:TClair's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Gaber
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,441
Like?

Nice series. What luck to have the mantis catch the bee!

dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048
Like?

I have the Sigma 150 f2.8 non-OS macro. It is a superb lens. I find it difficult to want to use any other lens. I don't have a Nikon 1 body - I shoot with a D300 and D90. But I am looking into how a V2 would work with my Sigma 150 as well as a Nikon 300 f4 (potential purchase). So, it was good that I found your examples here.

fwiw / imho... I don't think that the OS would be that much help for these shots. To help prevent the AF hunting, use the AF limiter switch for close-ups like this.

Some ideas... Without knowing the features of the V2... Based on my DX camera bodies... I would try to increase the shutter speed to freeze the movement and increase the aperture for more DOF. With f7.1 at this close distance with a 150mm lens on a CX sensor, it "may" be just a little too "wide". However, the wasp looks like it had some movement and the focus was in front of it somewhat (toward the camera - front focus). For shots like this, I usually stop down to about f10 -f11 with a min shutter at 1/800 sec. I do this by bumping the ISO (via Auto ISO) and underexposing by about .7 or even 1.0 depending on the metering method and the light. For a dark subject like the wasp on a bright background, matrix metering would underexpose the wasp which could be dealt with in post.

Shooting moving insects in mixed lighting conditions is "tricky" to say the least. Often it is necessary to do a burst of shots to get a "keeper". I'm not a tripod person. I prefer to sit down on a portable stool and then brace my elbows on my knees. This provides me with enough support and at the same time, much flexibility.

Thanks for posting your images with the Sigma 150 and V2.

Wayne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads