Will there be a EOS M Successor?

Started Sep 10, 2013 | Discussions
mugupo
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?
Will there be a EOS M Successor?
Sep 10, 2013

I was wonder will Canon even release a new version of EOS M or will be available to outside U.S. market?

mugupo's gear list:mugupo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +6 more
Lawrencew
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,557Gear list
Like?
New Day. Same Questions...
In reply to mugupo, Sep 10, 2013

mugupo wrote:

I was wonder will Canon even release a new version of EOS M or will be available to outside U.S. market?

Discussed endlessly in

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51997379

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52010600

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52099501

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52073300

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52012190

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
padmasana
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: New Day. Same Questions...
In reply to Lawrencew, Sep 10, 2013

I'm hoping that today at Canon headquarters they're looking at the Olympus E-M1 and saying "hey, that's a good idea" or saying "Gotcha! You think that's something? Wait until you see the next EOS M."

Pure speculation, of course, but fun nonetheless.

padmasana's gear list:padmasana's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
Re: Will there be a EOS M Successor?
In reply to mugupo, Sep 10, 2013

I'm willing to bet there will be a continuation of the EOS-M, and I'll bet dpreview is already well aware of it... After all, why would they have given the M it's own forum if they thought it was just a single, one-off camera that was about to be discontinued?

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,084
Like?
In reply to XeroJay, Sep 12, 2013

XeroJay wrote:

I'm willing to bet there will be a continuation of the EOS-M, and I'll bet dpreview is already well aware of it... After all, why would they have given the M it's own forum if they thought it was just a single, one-off camera that was about to be discontinued?

They started this separated forum shortly after the M came to msrked, so theynorobably thought that the camera will be some kind of success. Unfortunately for Cannon the M is not a big selling success.

Will this mean there is no successor comming? I think there has to be comming one and I hope it will have a better impact then the first M.

Personaly I think that Canon was not 100% behind the M when they launched it. When you look at it, it is a bit boring. No real features that stands out in the crowd. All other mirrorless cameras have some key selling features, not so the M. It is a Rebel without mirror, good quality, but not much more then that.

I hope Canon do better with their next attempt, I'm sure that will come.

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810Gear list
Like?
Maybe not...
In reply to mugupo, Sep 12, 2013

From serious rumors, Sony is coming with a Full Frame NEX system in October.

Canon could abort EOS-M and instead, make it Full Frame.

Thinking long term, once the AF speed of mirrorless cameras match the SLR speed, and we are almost there, The EF SLRs will become "obsolete". (mirrorless has the optical edge, besides size, cost and reliability)

But Canon could come instead with a tweener, that is larger than APS-C but much cheaper to make than FF, that would be, APS-H and could become their only mirrorless mount.

Not having to run two mirrorless mounts in parallel would make sense.

Lets see what happens...

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
padmasana
Like?
Re: Maybe not...
In reply to Photato, Sep 12, 2013

Photato wrote:

Thinking long term, once the AF speed of mirrorless cameras match the SLR speed, and we are almost there, The EF SLRs will become "obsolete". (mirrorless has the optical edge, besides size, cost and reliability)

But Canon could come instead with a tweener, that is larger than APS-C but much cheaper to make than FF, that would be, APS-H and could become their only mirrorless mount.

Lets see what happens...

Just guessing, but I think we will eventually have both APS-C and full frame mirrorless from Canon on the store shelves at the same time.

As you said, long term will probably bring us to full frame mirrorless but it'll no doubt have to be a lot bigger than the current EOS M if it is to accept full frame Canon lenses natively that can handle a sensor the size of a full frame. At that point, accepting EF lenses natively would make the most sense.

That would no doubt be a different product line from the EOS M, which is already building its ecosystem around the APS-C format and the EF-M category of lenses.

Photato
Like?
Re: Maybe not...
In reply to padmasana, Sep 12, 2013

padmasana wrote:

Photato wrote:

Lets see what happens...

Just guessing, but I think we will eventually have both APS-C and full frame mirrorless from Canon on the store shelves at the same time.

More likely, but it seems that Canon is not fully behind the M system neither the market.

If there isn't a new body or lenses by November I think the M would be gone the way of the Betamax.

As you said, long term will probably bring us to full frame mirrorless but it'll no doubt have to be a lot bigger than the current EOS M if it is to accept full frame Canon lenses natively that can handle a sensor the size of a full frame. At that point, accepting EF lenses natively would make the most sense.

The FF body would take legacy EF lenses via adapter, just like the recently anounced Olympus E-M1. The short back-focus is one of the key advantages of mirrorless cameras so I dont see why a new mount in FF would be native compatible with EF.

That would no doubt be a different product line from the EOS M, which is already building its ecosystem around the APS-C format and the EF-M category of lenses.

Yes, a new mount based on APS-H would be totally different to both EF and EF-S but in the end if you want to really take advantage of the mirroless optics is better to get the native lenses. Backward compatibiltiy can still be maintained with adapters. EF-S would work too, just like they do for Nikon.

Photato
Like?
Nikon rethinks 1 System and cuts 2013 forecast citing poor sales
In reply to mugupo, Sep 12, 2013

Food for thought...

Nikon has lowered its sales and revenue estimates for this year, prompting a rethink of its 1 Series mirrorless cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/08/nikon-cuts-2013-sales-forecast-citing-poor-mirrorless-camera-sales?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_4

sneakerpimp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon rethinks 1 System and cuts 2013 forecast citing poor sales
In reply to Photato, Sep 12, 2013

Photato wrote:

Food for thought...

Nikon has lowered its sales and revenue estimates for this year, prompting a rethink of its 1 Series mirrorless cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/08/nikon-cuts-2013-sales-forecast-citing-poor-mirrorless-camera-sales?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_4

i am constantly looking at other mftr's rumor sites in anticipation of what might come from canon.

sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M
sneakerpimp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon rethinks 1 System and cuts 2013 forecast citing poor sales
In reply to sneakerpimp, Sep 13, 2013

maybe we'll hear something from Photoplus Expo on october 23.

sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M
PaddyC
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
In reply to mugupo, Sep 13, 2013

As a NEX user who is now very fond of the EOS M, I sure hope so. I initially dismissed it along with most people, but now that I'm using and seeing how good the lenses are I really think this has a lot of potential.

PaddyC's gear list:PaddyC's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,482Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaddyC, Sep 13, 2013

Interesting and perplexing.  Made in Japan.  New mount. Look at the build quality of the camera and the lenses.  Somehow, the pricing didn't match the performance/feature set.  Still, would like to find a 11-22mm lens one day. Great focal range.

padmasana
Like?
In reply to Gesture, Sep 13, 2013

Gesture wrote:

Interesting and perplexing. Made in Japan. New mount. Look at the build quality of the camera and the lenses. Somehow, the pricing didn't match the performance/feature set. Still, would like to find a 11-22mm lens one day. Great focal range.

All three lenses outperform what I would normally expect for the price. Sort of like Porsche quality at VW prices.

If you're in America, might want to check Henry's in Canada. I got one for $399, postage included, excellent service, no hassles, delivered within a week of my order.

Vistek is another such Canadian outlet others have used with similar experiences.

Lawrencew
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,557Gear list
Like?
Announcements this week? (rumour mill)
In reply to mugupo, Sep 16, 2013
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
padmasana
Like?
Re: Announcements this week? (rumour mill)
In reply to Lawrencew, Sep 16, 2013

Lawrencew wrote:

http://www.canonwatch.com/new-canon-gear-set-to-be-announced-this-week-next-eos-m/

-- hide signature --

Regards
Lawrence
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozwilkes/

I'll take a September announcement. Especially now that the 70D has arrived in shops.

4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrencew, Sep 16, 2013

I expect if the announcement comes this week the EOS M successor may be just an incremental upgrade and not the 70D sensor based one many of us want.  If the announcement comes on October 20 then more likely there will be a more major upgrade.  Just a guess.

Unless the EOS M will come this week and a more major mirrorless rebel on October 20-that could be super.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Olympus PEN E-PL5 +11 more
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,743
Like?
In reply to 4thnebula, Sep 16, 2013

I expect if the announcement comes this week the EOS M successor may be just an incremental upgrade and not the 70D sensor based one many of us want.

My theory is that the first-announced lower-end model will have the SL1 / 100D sensor.

Due to poor sales, I'm not so sure about an additional "EOS M Pro" model, that includes the 70D sensor.

Time will tell,...

SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,136Gear list
Like?
Nikon 1 pulling back lenses from the US too
In reply to mugupo, Sep 17, 2013

Not too much of a surprise since Canon and Nikon like to time their DSLR announcement.  So why not pull back from the US at the same time.  Looks like new EOS and Nikon 1 lenses will be grey market only for the US.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/09/17/nikon-32-1-2-1-series-lens-now-special-order-only/

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774Gear list
Like?
Not good at all if Canon follows this...
In reply to SHood, Sep 17, 2013

If Canon starts to pull lenses from the U.S. I will definitely be one to pull my purchases from Canon.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Olympus PEN E-PL5 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads