Will there be a EOS M Successor?

Started Sep 10, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
mugupo Contributing Member • Posts: 624
Will there be a EOS M Successor?

I was wonder will Canon even release a new version of EOS M or will be available to outside U.S. market?

 mugupo's gear list:mugupo's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,368
New Day. Same Questions...
6

mugupo wrote:

I was wonder will Canon even release a new version of EOS M or will be available to outside U.S. market?

Discussed endlessly in

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51997379

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52010600

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52099501

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52073300

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52012190

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
padmasana
padmasana Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: New Day. Same Questions...
1

I'm hoping that today at Canon headquarters they're looking at the Olympus E-M1 and saying "hey, that's a good idea" or saying "Gotcha! You think that's something? Wait until you see the next EOS M."

Pure speculation, of course, but fun nonetheless.

 padmasana's gear list:padmasana's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,096
Re: Will there be a EOS M Successor?
1

I'm willing to bet there will be a continuation of the EOS-M, and I'll bet dpreview is already well aware of it... After all, why would they have given the M it's own forum if they thought it was just a single, one-off camera that was about to be discontinued?

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

 XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
nevercat Senior Member • Posts: 3,193
Re: Will there be a EOS M Successor?

XeroJay wrote:

I'm willing to bet there will be a continuation of the EOS-M, and I'll bet dpreview is already well aware of it... After all, why would they have given the M it's own forum if they thought it was just a single, one-off camera that was about to be discontinued?

They started this separated forum shortly after the M came to msrked, so theynorobably thought that the camera will be some kind of success. Unfortunately for Cannon the M is not a big selling success.

Will this mean there is no successor comming? I think there has to be comming one and I hope it will have a better impact then the first M.

Personaly I think that Canon was not 100% behind the M when they launched it. When you look at it, it is a bit boring. No real features that stands out in the crowd. All other mirrorless cameras have some key selling features, not so the M. It is a Rebel without mirror, good quality, but not much more then that.

I hope Canon do better with their next attempt, I'm sure that will come.

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,015
Maybe not...

From serious rumors, Sony is coming with a Full Frame NEX system in October.

Canon could abort EOS-M and instead, make it Full Frame.

Thinking long term, once the AF speed of mirrorless cameras match the SLR speed, and we are almost there, The EF SLRs will become "obsolete". (mirrorless has the optical edge, besides size, cost and reliability)

But Canon could come instead with a tweener, that is larger than APS-C but much cheaper to make than FF, that would be, APS-H and could become their only mirrorless mount.

Not having to run two mirrorless mounts in parallel would make sense.

Lets see what happens...

 Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +7 more
padmasana
padmasana Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: Maybe not...

Photato wrote:

From serious rumors, Sony is coming with a Full Frame NEX system in October.

Canon could abort EOS-M and instead, make it Full Frame.

Thinking long term, once the AF speed of mirrorless cameras match the SLR speed, and we are almost there, The EF SLRs will become "obsolete". (mirrorless has the optical edge, besides size, cost and reliability)

But Canon could come instead with a tweener, that is larger than APS-C but much cheaper to make than FF, that would be, APS-H and could become their only mirrorless mount.

Not having to run two mirrorless mounts in parallel would make sense.

Lets see what happens...

Just guessing, but I think we will eventually have both APS-C and full frame mirrorless from Canon on the store shelves at the same time.

As you said, long term will probably bring us to full frame mirrorless but it'll no doubt have to be a lot bigger than the current EOS M if it is to accept full frame Canon lenses natively that can handle a sensor the size of a full frame. At that point, accepting EF lenses natively would make the most sense.

That would no doubt be a different product line from the EOS M, which is already building its ecosystem around the APS-C format and the EF-M category of lenses.

 padmasana's gear list:padmasana's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,015
Re: Maybe not...

padmasana wrote:

Photato wrote:

From serious rumors, Sony is coming with a Full Frame NEX system in October.

Canon could abort EOS-M and instead, make it Full Frame.

Thinking long term, once the AF speed of mirrorless cameras match the SLR speed, and we are almost there, The EF SLRs will become "obsolete". (mirrorless has the optical edge, besides size, cost and reliability)

But Canon could come instead with a tweener, that is larger than APS-C but much cheaper to make than FF, that would be, APS-H and could become their only mirrorless mount.

Not having to run two mirrorless mounts in parallel would make sense.

Lets see what happens...

Just guessing, but I think we will eventually have both APS-C and full frame mirrorless from Canon on the store shelves at the same time.

More likely, but it seems that Canon is not fully behind the M system neither the market.

If there isn't a new body or lenses by November I think the M would be gone the way of the Betamax.

As you said, long term will probably bring us to full frame mirrorless but it'll no doubt have to be a lot bigger than the current EOS M if it is to accept full frame Canon lenses natively that can handle a sensor the size of a full frame. At that point, accepting EF lenses natively would make the most sense.

The FF body would take legacy EF lenses via adapter, just like the recently anounced Olympus E-M1. The short back-focus is one of the key advantages of mirrorless cameras so I dont see why a new mount in FF would be native compatible with EF.

That would no doubt be a different product line from the EOS M, which is already building its ecosystem around the APS-C format and the EF-M category of lenses.

Yes, a new mount based on APS-H would be totally different to both EF and EF-S but in the end if you want to really take advantage of the mirroless optics is better to get the native lenses. Backward compatibiltiy can still be maintained with adapters. EF-S would work too, just like they do for Nikon.

 Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +7 more
Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,015
Nikon rethinks 1 System and cuts 2013 forecast citing poor sales

Food for thought...

Nikon rethinks 1 System and cuts 2013 forecast citing poor sales

Nikon has lowered its sales and revenue estimates for this year, prompting a rethink of its 1 Series mirrorless cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/08/nikon-cuts-2013-sales-forecast-citing-poor-mirrorless-camera-sales?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_4

 Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +7 more
sneakerpimp
sneakerpimp Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Re: Nikon rethinks 1 System and cuts 2013 forecast citing poor sales

Photato wrote:

Food for thought...

Nikon rethinks 1 System and cuts 2013 forecast citing poor sales

Nikon has lowered its sales and revenue estimates for this year, prompting a rethink of its 1 Series mirrorless cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/08/nikon-cuts-2013-sales-forecast-citing-poor-mirrorless-camera-sales?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_4

i am constantly looking at other mftr's rumor sites in anticipation of what might come from canon.

 sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M
sneakerpimp
sneakerpimp Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Re: Nikon rethinks 1 System and cuts 2013 forecast citing poor sales

maybe we'll hear something from Photoplus Expo on october 23.

 sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M
PaddyC Regular Member • Posts: 252
Re: Will there be a EOS M Successor?

As a NEX user who is now very fond of the EOS M, I sure hope so. I initially dismissed it along with most people, but now that I'm using and seeing how good the lenses are I really think this has a lot of potential.

 PaddyC's gear list:PaddyC's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 3,971
Re: Will there be a EOS M Successor?

Interesting and perplexing.  Made in Japan.  New mount. Look at the build quality of the camera and the lenses.  Somehow, the pricing didn't match the performance/feature set.  Still, would like to find a 11-22mm lens one day. Great focal range.

padmasana
padmasana Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: Will there be a EOS M Successor?

Gesture wrote:

Interesting and perplexing. Made in Japan. New mount. Look at the build quality of the camera and the lenses. Somehow, the pricing didn't match the performance/feature set. Still, would like to find a 11-22mm lens one day. Great focal range.

All three lenses outperform what I would normally expect for the price. Sort of like Porsche quality at VW prices.

If you're in America, might want to check Henry's in Canada. I got one for $399, postage included, excellent service, no hassles, delivered within a week of my order.

Vistek is another such Canadian outlet others have used with similar experiences.

 padmasana's gear list:padmasana's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,368
Announcements this week? (rumour mill)
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
padmasana
padmasana Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: Announcements this week? (rumour mill)

Lawrencew wrote:

http://www.canonwatch.com/new-canon-gear-set-to-be-announced-this-week-next-eos-m/

-- hide signature --

Regards
Lawrence
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/lozwilkes/

I'll take a September announcement. Especially now that the 70D has arrived in shops.

 padmasana's gear list:padmasana's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
4thnebula Senior Member • Posts: 1,978
Re: Announcements this week? (rumour mill)

I expect if the announcement comes this week the EOS M successor may be just an incremental upgrade and not the 70D sensor based one many of us want.  If the announcement comes on October 20 then more likely there will be a more major upgrade.  Just a guess.

Unless the EOS M will come this week and a more major mirrorless rebel on October 20-that could be super.

 4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EOS 6D +12 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Announcements this week? (rumour mill)

I expect if the announcement comes this week the EOS M successor may be just an incremental upgrade and not the 70D sensor based one many of us want.

My theory is that the first-announced lower-end model will have the SL1 / 100D sensor.

Due to poor sales, I'm not so sure about an additional "EOS M Pro" model, that includes the 70D sensor.

Time will tell,...

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 4,575
Nikon 1 pulling back lenses from the US too

Not too much of a surprise since Canon and Nikon like to time their DSLR announcement.  So why not pull back from the US at the same time.  Looks like new EOS and Nikon 1 lenses will be grey market only for the US.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/09/17/nikon-32-1-2-1-series-lens-now-special-order-only/

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
4thnebula Senior Member • Posts: 1,978
Not good at all if Canon follows this...

If Canon starts to pull lenses from the U.S. I will definitely be one to pull my purchases from Canon.

 4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EOS 6D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads