Would love PENTAX-A SMC 50mm f1.2 on a full frame!

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Would love PENTAX-A SMC 50mm f1.2 on a full frame!
Sep 9, 2013

I'd love to see this combination even on film!

Maybe flickr

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
Re: Would love PENTAX-A SMC 50mm f1.2 on a full frame!
In reply to Simon Devlin, Sep 9, 2013

According to my "Pentax Lenses and Accessories" booklet.  It was printed in May of 1984 by Asahi Optical co.  On page 14 they list a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.2.  It says great lens for the ME-Super camera (I bet it was)  They have a 135-600mm f/6.7 tele zoom on page 27!  Sweet!  Where is my time machine?  It was probably about 400$ back then. 

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,217
Like?
No M series
In reply to Petroglyph, Sep 9, 2013

There isn't an M series version of the f1.2 design. I think you will find that it is the earlier K series lens that appears on your brochure although of course Pentax never referred to their first series of K bayonet mount lenses as K series. The 135-600 zoom is also the earlier "K" series rather than an M.

More goodies below

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,217
Like?

It performs very similarly to the other 50mm lenses apart from wide open of course where it has what can kindly be described as a "dreamy" quality. That is to say low contrast and resolution.

SRS sold the last UK stock a few years ago at £400.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

Tom Lusk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Sep 9, 2013

On my copy of the same booklet, it has the "SMC PENTAX 50mm f/1.2" on the bottom of page 14. The only lens on the two pages of "Standard" lenses without the M designation, so easy to make the mistake.

Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 996Gear list
Like?

I am still holding on my Sony A850 until Pentax release a FF.

I do not have a 50mm 1.2 but i have a 1.4 and here is a photo taken with FF and 1.4

How much more if a lens is 1.2? Just imagine it...

Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
Petroglyph
Like?
Re: No M series
In reply to steephill, Sep 9, 2013

steephill wrote:

There isn't an M series version of the f1.2 design. I think you will find that it is the earlier K series lens that appears on your brochure although of course Pentax never referred to their first series of K bayonet mount lenses as K series. The 135-600 zoom is also the earlier "K" series rather than an M.

What is the difference between M series and earlier K series since they are both SMC (super multi coat) and neither have any electronics in them? I understand the A series has the ability to allow the camera to electronically set the aperture on the green "A" mark (I have one of those). I can't find any substantial difference between M and the earlier K (which they just leave off the M when they list it I've noticed.

Cheers.

More goodies below

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,988
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Sep 10, 2013

Petroglyph wrote:

steephill wrote:

What is the difference between M series and earlier K series since they are both SMC (super multi coat) and neither have any electronics in them? I understand the A series has the ability to allow the camera to electronically set the aperture on the green "A" mark (I have one of those). I can't find any substantial difference between M and the earlier K (which they just leave off the M when they list it I've noticed.

The M versions are smaller and weigh less than the K version. Also, in certian lenses like the M200/4 has a built in pull-out hood whereas the K200/4 does not.

The A lenses are basically the same as the M version except they have the "A" position setting on the lens.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

rossdoyle
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
In reply to Simon Devlin, Sep 10, 2013

I am lucky to have a Pentax-A 50 f/1.2. It works wonderfully on K-01 with focus peaking. The K-5 actually meters too dark at f/1.2. By about f/1.6 it meters normally. The K-01 doesn't seem to have this problem. There is only a minor difference in DOF wide open when comparing between it and FA 50mm f/1.4. I think this is due to the microlenses or the CMOS surface electronic layers excluding high angle of incidence light (so the light from the greatest apertures is attenuated).

il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,008Gear list
Like?
Why not used manual Canon 50mm 1.2 on FF?

Simon Devlin wrote:

There are also some really cheap Canon FF film cameras out there to match it...

-- hide signature --
 il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
noel2
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?

Simon Devlin wrote:

Maybe flickr

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Pending a FF, here is an image taken with the SMC F1.2  50mm at full aperture on June 21, 2006. Venus rising with the Pleiades cluster over the Atlantic, seen from the island of La Palma de las Canarias, Pentax ist* DS, 15 sec at ISO 800. Unprocessed.

The lens as it is today:

Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
In reply to noel2, Sep 10, 2013

Fantastic photo! What a universe eh and the lens isn't too bad either!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,788Gear list
Like?
In reply to steephill, Sep 10, 2013

I have the A 1.2/50. Of course, it has the A setting. The A version has 9 blades, the M had 8 if i recall. Not sure about the optical formula.

It's nice for those super-low light situations, or for uber-bokeh portraits. There's plenty of dof control on aps-c, there's no need for more than that (read FF)  imho. Focus is very hard to acheive...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
hanhait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067Gear list
Like?
In reply to noel2, Sep 11, 2013

Very nice; at 100% you can see the small star trails reflecting the 15 s exposure, and the optical effects around brighter stars (Venus itself becomes rather weird), but no big optical problems, even not in the corners.

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,594Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Sep 11, 2013

Petroglyph wrote:

According to my "Pentax Lenses and Accessories" booklet. It was printed in May of 1984 by Asahi Optical co. On page 14 they list a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.2. It says great lens for the ME-Super camera (I bet it was) They have a 135-600mm f/6.7 tele zoom on page 27! Sweet! Where is my time machine? It was probably about 400$ back then.

I have a booklet with the same name, but no date. It has 42 Pentax lenses in it, including the above.

Pentax really took itself seriously as a professional system, with a reflex lens of 1000mm f/11, another of 2000mm f/13.5, a Shift lens 28mm f/3.5, auto extension tubes, 2x Rear Converter, auto bellows unit & slide copier (I had those), and a 90-degree mirror adapter for discrete photography!

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +22 more
Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to Barry Pearson, Sep 12, 2013

Barry Pearson wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

According to my "Pentax Lenses and Accessories" booklet. It was printed in May of 1984 by Asahi Optical co. On page 14 they list a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.2. It says great lens for the ME-Super camera (I bet it was) They have a 135-600mm f/6.7 tele zoom on page 27! Sweet! Where is my time machine? It was probably about 400$ back then.

I have a booklet with the same name, but no date. It has 42 Pentax lenses in it, including the above.

Pentax really took itself seriously as a professional system, with a reflex lens of 1000mm f/11, another of 2000mm f/13.5, a Shift lens 28mm f/3.5, auto extension tubes, 2x Rear Converter, auto bellows unit & slide copier (I had those), and a 90-degree mirror adapter for discrete photography!

lol - an "around the corner" lens.  subtle but radical. 

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,788Gear list
Like?
In reply to steephill, Sep 13, 2013

steephill wrote:

It performs very similarly to the other 50mm lenses apart from wide open of course where it has what can kindly be described as a "dreamy" quality. That is to say low contrast and resolution.

Hmmm, a little harsh. I agree with low contrast wide open, but resolution.... it depends...(read on)

The dreamy quality of the extreme aperture is "enhanced" by the low contrast and by the fact that brighter parts of the image show a halo, when the lens is used wide open or close to that.

Here's a full res pic of my little one with the smc-a 50 f/1.2

This is a moody lens, definitely a "she-lens". Haha! There are things it likes (read: low light) and things it doesn't, like shooting at f/1.2 in sunlight. There is so much glass in this puppy that it must be hard to control internal reflections - which is probably why it never got the star designation. I'm also pretty sure wide open performance was optimized for subjects at portrait distance, 3 to 4 feet away, not subjects 30 yards away (based solely on my experience). On paper it might not look that good - i can imagine it would flunk a resolution chart test.

The lens i have that most resembles the 50/1.2 is the FA 43 Limited, which is also accused of being unsharp wide open, with a moody rendering. The 50 is moodier, no doubt. From a technical aspect, the FA43 will out-class it already at f/1.9. But take them both for a spin and there's no denying that the 50/1.2 definitely has its charm, and some advantages too.

Anyway, if you close it down to a logical f/4ish, it becomes a very well behaved lens (sharp to the edges, contrasty...) with a nice "3D-pop".

SRS sold the last UK stock a few years ago at £400.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
robbo d
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084Gear list
Like?
Kind of ironic........
In reply to hanhait, Sep 13, 2013

I was filling in some time last night and read an article by ken Rockwell on film vs digital....gather many will have read it. I don't care much whether people regard him, but the principals about film are still ringing true with me.........we do have FF and it's called 35mm film and gazillions of still working cameras at rediculously cheap prices.

No laptops required, no battery chargers, chords, buying new software, waiting for the next model with an extra 4mp plus an enhanced sensor and processor, arguing over which brand is better, spending endless sums of money on upgrading to the latest model.....

I cut my teeth on film and find the discipline and techniques learnt mean I can still pick up a film SLR and get the same sort of results. 35mm translates to fairly high MP count and the detail recorded in film is still very good. Funny how some new film processing plants are re opening!!

Here is my SMC A 50mm f2 on my Kx.......works very nicely and there's something I like about manual focusing. It almost seemed my Kx performed better not having to worry about focusing the lens???

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads