X-E2 or X-E1S

Started Sep 9, 2013 | Discussions
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,874
Like?
X-E2 or X-E1S
Sep 9, 2013

Interesting rumour about the X-E2.

Apparently the sensor from the X100s, which I would assume also means the hybrid AF system.

Not sure how i feel about this, i guess the only justification would be if the AF is significantly improved, but even it would have to be a HUGELY significant improvement if that's the only major advantage!

Thoughts?

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2 or X-E1S
In reply to RhysM, Sep 9, 2013

I read that this morning. A bit troubling as the rumor suggested the XE1 would be upgraded before the XPro1.

With regard to the upgrade being mostly to replace the sensor with the X-trans II like the X100s, if that is the biggest improvement I would pass. That is not enough enough to interest me. I know how my camera thinks so I can focus my XE1 without issue. But I do have an issue, as I posted in a comment on the rumor site, that I can't hand my camera to someone to take my picture.

Overall I am very happy with my camera so my current thinking is to upgrade every other model - something I wish I did with Photoshop. my last camera was a Nikon D300 which I had for 5 years.

In a few years that organic sensor Fuji is working on might make a difference. The features of the X100s are not enough for me to make a change.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Sep 9, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

Overall I am very happy with my camera so my current thinking is to upgrade every other model - something I wish I did with Photoshop. my last camera was a Nikon D300 which I had for 5 years.

In a few years that organic sensor Fuji is working on might make a difference. The features of the X100s are not enough for me to make a change.

+1. The X-E1 is just a joy with the cumulative fw improvements. Perfect? Nope. But I get a lot of keepers from it, even though I know I'm nowhere near using its full potential. It would take more than an X100S sensor to get me to upgrade.

In the meantime, I'll be spending my money on fresh glass.

ajamils1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?

Been seriously thinking about picking up X-E1 but after reading the rumour earlier today I'm gonna hold of to see what upgrade the new X-E2/E1S brings.

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to ajamils1, Sep 9, 2013

ajamils1 wrote:

Been seriously thinking about picking up X-E1 but after reading the rumour earlier today I'm gonna hold of to see what upgrade the new X-E2/E1S brings.

You could be waiting a long time.

justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?

If all it brings is phase detect AF plus faster processor then its a minor refresh (probably not worth an upgrade except for those with severe case of GAS), but I can see the logic of this being released only on the X-e series and not the pro.  For myself I am wishing Face detect AF for next update on X-e series.
Maybe an X-pro2 will bring in more significant changes to justify its higher price and discriminate from e series more - eg 24mp sensor, tilting LCD organic sensor?

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
awgk
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to justin_time, Sep 9, 2013

Would definitely need more than this before I update, would like weather sealing, at least 22 meg sensor,  faster processor, tilt screen. Come on Fuji we know you can do it.

awgk's gear list:awgk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?
In reply to awgk, Sep 9, 2013

awgk wrote:

Would definitely need more than this before I update, would like weather sealing, at least 22 meg sensor, faster processor, tilt screen. Come on Fuji we know you can do it.

weather sealing would be nice but since it is not on the lens it is a mute point. Tilt screen and more pixels sort of deter me, more pixels pushed me away from Nikon.

24 vs  16 mp is about 20% or so boost for prints as it is 6000 vs 4800 pixels wide. MP count is area but prints is about linear resolution and we can already make 16x24 prints easily. I have made 40" prints with 10mp. More pixels just makes it more diffraction limited and requires more processing power to do the same thing. A complete waste for 95% of users. Those people who legitimately need more pixels go full frame sensor. 12mp is enough to shoot a billboard since people only view the entire image from a distance.  i prefer quality, as I have plenty of quantity. For landscapes i can shoot a set of images and put together in software like PTGui if I need more pixels

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
ChicagoRob
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?

According to dpreview, the X-E1 sensor has better shadow rendering(more DR) than the X100S sensor. If the X-E1S does, in fact, utilize the X100S sensor, I might be inclined to consider this as a downgrade, rather than an upgrade. Newer doesn't always mean better.

Rob

RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,874
Like?
In reply to ChicagoRob, Sep 9, 2013

ChicagoRob wrote:

According to dpreview, the X-E1 sensor has better shadow rendering(more DR) than the X100S sensor. If the X-E1S does, in fact, utilize the X100S sensor, I might be inclined to consider this as a downgrade, rather than an upgrade. Newer doesn't always mean better.

Rob

This is indeed a fair point. However, some would argue that a slight decrease in DR would be a welcome trade for a speedier AF that allows more spontaneous captures...

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,238Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2 or X-E1S PLus lenses

RhysM wrote:

Apparently the sensor from the X100s, which I would assume also means the hybrid AF system.

Not sure how i feel about this, i guess the only justification would be if the AF is significantly improved, but even it would have to be a HUGELY significant improvement if that's the only major advantage!

Thoughts?

It is a matter of time. Sure you will have your XE-1s, then XE-2, XE2-s, XE-3, Wait this sounds like iPhone nomenclature.

Anyway, it is always a matter of when not if.

This is and last time the Fuji lens rebates were better, but this is a great time to buy into the Fuji X system.

If the XE-2 whatever it will be called will be a reasonable price and I want to say the Xpro-1 when it was new I thought I read it was a $1,500 - $2,000 type body, so even now the Xpro is a bargain.

For the lens part Fuji needs a good range to cover 24-120.

They  need to improve external flash and get a OEM TTL Cord. I would like to see a GH-3 styled Fuji X camera with a great hand grip.

Video part is a whole other story, not a deal breaker. Better to get really good at one thing then so so and everything.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Matz03
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?

I'm kind of expecting all along the XE update to be just the added X100s features/speed/refinement, and I'd be happy with that.  If it is I might upgrade 6 months after the release.  For my use there isn't too much to add to the camera and my mine gripe remains the processor.  With an upgrade there we'll get a more snappy camera and new features that don't bog it down further.  They can only do so much via firmware with the current processor not up to par in the XE-1.

Regarding Xpro2 coming after the XE, maybe Fuji trying to imrpove the IQ over X-E2 so maybe we'll see a 24 mp sensor in that.  It does make sense for the Pro model to have better IQ not such an OVF option.

rudyr
Regular MemberPosts: 338
Like?
In reply to Matz03, Sep 9, 2013

Posting to track this thread.

I'm a Nikon FF user but I know at some point I'll migrate some of my shooting to Fuji.  For now, just picking off the lenses I want when I see them being sold at a good price.  So far got LNIB 35/1.4 and 55-200 for under $1000 for both.  When the X-E2 or 1S comes out, either that'll have enough to warrant paying retail ticket, or I'll pick up an X-E1 someone is unloaded for cheap.

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371Gear list
Like?

RhysM wrote:

Thoughts?

I tend to agree with what others say here.

My little X-E1 is still blowing me away with what it is capable of. For me to consider an X-E2 it will have to come to the table with something special/amazing.

Honestly, I can see me being more than happy with my current X-E1 for fair time in to the future. IMO it is producing ridiculously good IQ and that's not going to change no matter what comes out.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,238Gear list
Like?
maybe discontinue the Xpro-1

Maybe the XE-2 or whatever the next one could be a combination of the XE and Xpro. Do they really need two camera bodies.

Maybe that is why or say if they do another XE model before the Xpro of at all.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Rich Niemeyer
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, Sep 9, 2013

I agree with most of the posts here.  Any "upgrade" would have to be considerably more significant than merely changing out the sensor with only minor improvements.  I print 17x22 images that consistently match the quality of my Canon cameras.  And I'm still learning the capabilities of my camera.  A remarkable piece of equipment as it is.

-- hide signature --

Rich Niemeyer

Jim de Kort
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
Re: maybe discontinue the Xpro-1
In reply to ryan2007, Sep 9, 2013

They have three ILCs at the moment.

-- hide signature --

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication", Leonardo da Vinci
Fuji X-E1
- Zeiss 35mm f2.0 ZM Biogon
- Leica 50mm f2.0 Summicron v5
- Canon FD 24mm f2.8 Chrome-Nose
- Canon FD 35mm f2 (III) Chrome-Nose
- Canon FD 55mm f1.2 SSC Aspherical
- Canon FD 85mm f1.2 SSC Aspherical

Jim de Kort's gear list:Jim de Kort's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +6 more
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?

I definately think the XE line will be upgraded prior to the X-Pro line.  I see a XE-1s being released as a minor upgrade with a few added features with a big upgrade coming next year with a XE-2 or an X-Pro 2.

Weather sealing is almost 99.9% not going to happen with any Fuji since a weather sealed body only is really relevant if you have weather sealed lenses.  And since every lens released so far is non weather sealed, unless they start releasing sealed lenses, its useless.  I see improvements coming to help with taking images (faster shutter speed, improved AF, etc) but not a lot of emphasis being placed on other non-essential features (improved video, NFC, GPS, etc).  Fuji seems to be more about the image while other companies (Sony, Panasonic) seem to be about all the tech features.

Fuji is more Olympus to Sony is to Panasonic in terms of the camera world.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
ajamils1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, Sep 10, 2013

Red5TX wrote:

ajamils1 wrote:

You could be waiting a long time.

Possible.... but I'm in no hurry as Sony A99 is keeping me occupied for now. With that said, if I come across a good deal on E-X1, I will consider picking it up.

Personally, I hope that the next camera comes with the tilting screen like X-M1.

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
rxbot
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to RhysM, Sep 10, 2013

Rumor also says X-E 1s may have viewfinder along the same lines as X100s.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads