Thank God, I am still alive !

Started Sep 8, 2013 | Discussions
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Thank God, I am still alive !
Sep 8, 2013

Hey there folks,

As you know, I was waiting for my new (first ; if you not count TCON-17x) lens. And I already bought that E-PM1, that was my little secret with you all in here.

Well this morning I tell it to my wife and she was schoked , furious, confused and angry at the same time !!!!

Schoked: "what did you say??"

Furious: "ARE YOU SERIOUS !!!"

Confused: "Don´t you already have a great and new camera!!??"

Angry: " Ben ARE YOU CRAZYY!!"

:))) It was my adrenaline shot for sunday morning...

Apart from that... Now I got Sigma 30mm attached on it. And its my first interchangable lens camera. Its interesting to have a prime lens. Its just ... diferent ! I cant get in to things as I did with my XZ-1 by its supermacro ... It does not focus anytwhere closer than 20 centimeter. !!! (Which XZ-1 has never have such isues !)

But in the other hand, I got some DOF with that new lens at F 4.0 that I could not get with XZ-1 at F 2.8 !! BAckround is totally blur, can not almost see whats behind the focused area , and you see some kind of highlighst with XZ-1 anyway...

And what makes me so childishly excited is "shutter voice" It sound like a huge door slamm..

Yeah, so things are going some different direction. I first though "I wont Use my XZ-1 else than underwater photography anymore!" but seems It will be on the dry land anyway, coz any macro lenses or wider lenses (not even mentioning how fast they can be!) are beyond my budget. at least for coming 6 months.

Here you can find some info about it, if you interest

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benokan/

Cheers to All.

Wish you had a nice weekend, and will have a nice week.

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
is it worth it?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 8, 2013

No more smiles in the morning, noon or night.

The chilly silence.

The leftovers for dinner.

Sleeping with the dog (or cat).

The... add your own...

Other than that, those are nice pictures and a lovely part of the world to live in.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben O Connor
Like?
Re: is it worth it?
In reply to calterg, Sep 8, 2013

calterg wrote:

No more smiles in the morning, noon or night.

The chilly silence.

The leftovers for dinner.

Sleeping with the dog (or cat).

The... add your own...

Other than that, those are nice pictures and a lovely part of the world to live in.

Thankfully, The drama has over at the "dinner on the sofa together" stage, also dinner cooked by her. So I consider that as a victory (well I am still alive )

But Gosh, it was a thoughest challange of this month I should admit.

Thanks for warm compliments.

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
Re: is it worth it?

Ben, my wife thinks that cameras and lenses reproduce in the darkness of my closet.

Aaron Sur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?
Re: Thank God, I am still alive !

Hi Ben,

The Joint Defence Facility Pine Gap in Central Australia, registered a heat signature on your side of the world but that was just your wife going Ballistic!

Glad to see you have survived this incident, unfortunately now the lens lust will set in and you will have to tread very carefully. LUckily I went through these phases as a single man so my cupboards are full of gear that I will probably never use again, but some say film is making a comeback so maybe those Cokin filters will find a new lease of life 

I played with an XZ-10 yesterday glad to see that I will have an option for a  smaller replacement for the XZ-1 when it decides to retire itself.

cheers

Aaron

PON307G
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Sep 9, 2013

Ben,

Good to hear you're alright, but sleeping with one eye open for the next few weeks is no way to live. Ask me how I know 

Looking forward to seeing some photo's with the new camera!

Regards,

Larry C.

PON307G's gear list:PON307G's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X-E1
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,261Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 9, 2013

When money is tight, what is fun on bodies like the EPM1 are any 50mm 1.8, amy 135 mm f2.8 and the common 70-210 or 80-200 zoom, attached with a suitable inexpensive adapter. All should be dirt cheap, if not almost free. from hobbyists who bought them 30-40 years ago and have them sitting forgotten in attics. Maybe people in Scandinavia value these pieces more. In the USA, I see them in yard sales and thrift shops for $5.

You can get nice shots off the 50 and 135's, and while the zooms are usually mediocre, they can still work.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
garyjb
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 12, 2013

Sounds like you have approached and very nearly exceeded "D minus one".... congratulations...

Ben O Connor
Like?
In reply to garyjb, Sep 12, 2013

garyjb wrote:

Sounds like you have approached and very nearly exceeded "D minus one".... congratulations...

Thanks a lifetime experience.

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,858Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 14, 2013

The next time you buy a new camera and tell your wife .... could you please remember to take some pictures for us?  (Hey Honey, look here!)

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
Ben O Connor
Like?
Let´s see now...
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Sep 15, 2013

Hey Folks,

As you know my new (not so new really ) camera E-PM1 was with me in this weekend.. and during the week of course.

There are things that I loved, and there are things that I´ve already missed from my dear XZ-1. Lets begin with Bad news.

- Is should walk !!! No zoom on my 30mm F 2.8 sigma lenses.

-Can not get closer more than 20 cm to things... Its has no macro / supermacro kinda focus (well don´t laugh its my first interchagable lens ever!)

-Sometimes Its not focusing as I wished, It has its own "interchangable lens rules" that I have to adjust miself.

-I should not move, or the camera should not move on the time of "shooting" its not a DSLR... so, no suprises I guess..

Well on the Good News

- I got Crazy BOKEH (DOF) even with F2.8 lens ! (apart from some XZ-1 at some super macro situations) subject can be isolated better than P&S sensor could, even by a slower lens.

- Focusing is quick, which is good especiaslly on the video.

-VIDEO IS AMAZING compare to XZ-1... It can record ull HD but you really do not need to watch it on HD, its very visible and clear on normal mode as well..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benokan/9757676875/?likes_hd=0

- Menu is very usefull & clear. And its easy to reach art filters, you do not need to go art option... It can be change on sections like vivid-normal-muted-...etc and the filters. Which is very usefull.

-And it is so economical. Do not need to break a bank. Here it is with its 99 euro body only and affordable sigma lenses, I already bought it the smilar price back in 2010 the price of my XZ-1..

Anyway let the photos talk ! Here are the images

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benokan/

Cheers.

Ben

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads