Tripod vs Monopod

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
sacentre
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158
Like?
Tripod vs Monopod
7 months ago

Is there any specific reason for using a monopod instead of a tripod other than just convenience or situations where using a tripod would impossible? I have both but rarely use them apart from the tripod  for indoor  "studio" stuff.

Trevor

ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,135Gear list
Like?
You answered your own question
In reply to sacentre, 7 months ago

The monopod is useful when:

convenient or facing situations in which using a tripod is impossible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aznmadness
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Re: Tripod vs Monopod

Best of both worlds is to get a tripod/monopod in one.

I find a monopod useful in situations where I still need to move around and a tripod is to bulky. Although a monopod will only save you a few stops where as a tripod will be for long exposer.

-- hide signature --

** Gonna Die Waiting for the SEL 85mm or Fast Macro at a Longer FL**

Aznmadness's gear list:Aznmadness's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,477
Like?

I'm a pro and own and use both--they have completely different uses:

A tripod, of course, is ideal for really long, steady exposures at night/low light or any other time you need excellent camera support. I've even used a tripod to support remote cameras out around the space shuttle launch pad (RIP) where you have to setup and leave the cameras overnight.

A monopod is a totally different, but equally useful beast. Generally smaller and lighter, it is ideal for supporting mammoth lenses used by sports and wildlife photographers or working in crowds where a tripod would pose a danger. For instance, I used one just two nights ago where I had to photograph opera singer Renee Fleming from the back of the auditorium with a 300 f/2.8. It provides support and allows somewhat longer shutter speeds.

Both support systems have their uses and you must decide when you need one or the other.

sacentre
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, 7 months ago

Thank you to those who took the trouble to give detailed and thoughtful replies.

Rankin Johnson
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?

I have a cheap tripod and use it occasionally for portraits of my kids and the like.

I have a nice monopod (a Manfrotto automatic, with a one-hand length adjustment mechanism) and it is very useful for photographing sports; it helps to support a moderately heavy lens, and it makes it easier to track lateral movement. I haven't added a head that would let the camera tilt relative to the monopod, but I may at some point.

-- hide signature --

/s/ Rankin Johnson IV
-Fighting for justice, but I'll settle for a reversal.

Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,371Gear list
Like?

sacentre wrote:

Is there any specific reason for using a monopod instead of a tripod other than just convenience or situations where using a tripod would impossible? I have both but rarely use them apart from the tripod for indoor "studio" stuff.

Tripods are much more useful.

But last year, I injured my knee (it is much better now) and any kind of walking over uneven terrain could be hazardous for me, and I didn't want to carry a heavy tripod under those conditions. I got a monopod which doubled as a walking stick, and it helped me to squeeze a couple of stops of light in dim lighting.

This was taken at night with a monopod.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
sacentre
Like?
In reply to Mark Scott Abeln, 7 months ago

Thanks Mark, Rankin

Those were the kind of insights I was looking for. Very useful.

Trevor

Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Tripod plus Monopod

sacentre wrote:

Is there any specific reason for using a monopod instead of a tripod other than just convenience or situations where using a tripod would impossible? I have both but rarely use them apart from the tripod for indoor "studio" stuff.

Trevor

Trevor you need both and they both have very distinct purposes. I use a tripod in the field as well as in the studio. Not only does a tripod help with steadiness and a way to keep the camera in certain positions, but it also acts as a resting platform when your arms get tired.

The monopod comes into its own in the field on action subjects. It's easier to tilt and turn it all to pan faster moving subjects.

One point many don't get is how to implement a two method support system. The trick, in my opinion, is to make sure all your cameras and lenses with tripod collars have the same quick release plates always attached. This way I can move quickly between methods to match the conditions. I can pop it off the tripod for quick hand holding or snap it on my monopod for a smooth pan of a flying Ring Neck. Then, pop it off and back on the tripod to wait for the next situation. The key is a common connection method.

I like Manfrotto's lever RC2. Make sense? If I used a dovetail it would have to be the Acra compatible non-lever dovetail. With the arca compatible levers, the plates don't always interchange between brands.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile - f/22 Club Member
I reserve the right to make mistakes in reasoning and logic as well as to change my mind anytime I wish. I also ask forbearance with respect to my typos. Please take a look at my gallery here at DPR.

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
sacentre
Like?
Re: Tripod plus Monopod
In reply to Guidenet, 7 months ago

Thank you, Craig. Interesting.

Trevor

Guidenet wrote:

sacentre wrote:

Trevor

Trevor you need both and they both have very distinct purposes. I use a tripod in the field as well as in the studio. Not only does a tripod help with steadiness and a way to keep the camera in certain positions, but it also acts as a resting platform when your arms get tired.

The monopod comes into its own in the field on action subjects. It's easier to tilt and turn it all to pan faster moving subjects.

One point many don't get is how to implement a two method support system. The trick, in my opinion, is to make sure all your cameras and lenses with tripod collars have the same quick release plates always attached. This way I can move quickly between methods to match the conditions. I can pop it off the tripod for quick hand holding or snap it on my monopod for a smooth pan of a flying Ring Neck. Then, pop it off and back on the tripod to wait for the next situation. The key is a common connection method.

I like Manfrotto's lever RC2. Make sense? If I used a dovetail it would have to be the Acra compatible non-lever dovetail. With the arca compatible levers, the plates don't always interchange between brands.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile - f/22 Club Member
I reserve the right to make mistakes in reasoning and logic as well as to change my mind anytime I wish. I also ask forbearance with respect to my typos. Please take a look at my gallery here at DPR.

garrywatson
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

Well the basic difference in a monopod and a tripod is that- you can use a tripod for shooting something where you need your camera to be steadiest. Monopods are used for more controled shoots than handheld. Monopods are portable than the tripods. They provide you more flexibility to move around and therefore, are good for shooting pictures that need you to move instantly and even setup instantly, such as sports, journalism, etc.

Norm  Neely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,332
Like?
In reply to Mark Scott Abeln, 7 months ago

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

But last year, I injured my knee (it is much better now) and any kind of walking over uneven terrain could be hazardous for me, and I didn't want to carry a heavy tripod under those conditions. I got a monopod which doubled as a walking stick, and it helped me to squeeze a couple of stops of light in dim lighting.

My hiking staff also functions as a monopod.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/35185358

-- hide signature --

Norm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads