I've given up on the Fuji X100s.

Started Sep 7, 2013 | Discussions
David Hardaway
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
Re: As long as YOU made the right choice...
In reply to Luego, Sep 22, 2013

I am very happy. I was responding to someone thatmentioned they couldnt get the x100s that they were lucky to have another chance at making another choice without loss. But defenders came and jumped on me.

There are many many others that have come to the same conclusion about the xtrans. Why do you think fuji is moving forward with bayer in the xa1?
--
Regards,
David
Photographybydmichael.com

David Hardaway's gear list:David Hardaway's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keith Jefferies
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Hardaway, Sep 22, 2013

Why do you think fuji is moving forward with bayer in the xa1.

Maybe to reduce the cost for an entry level camera?

Keith Jefferies's gear list:Keith Jefferies's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-E1 +2 more
David Hardaway
Like?
In reply to Keith Jefferies, Sep 22, 2013

No its a direction. Xtrans is going the way of superccd. Superccd did well for a while but then went away. Look it up.
--
Regards,
David

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
Re: I've given up on the Fuji X100s.

I'm not going to get into a debate about the X-Trans sensor, but I will say that I think Fuji's move with the XA-1 is interesting and potentially very high-stakes.  It'll be interesting to see whether the overall response from buyers is, in effect, a vote for the X-Trans or a conventional sensor.  Time will tell!

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
newellj
Like?

David Hardaway wrote:

I am very happy. I was responding to someone thatmentioned they couldnt get the x100s that they were lucky to have another chance at making another choice without loss. But defenders came and jumped on me.

There are many many others that have come to the same conclusion about the xtrans. Why do you think fuji is moving forward with bayer in the xa1?
--
Regards,
David

I think the jury is still out on why Fuji did that, and, more importantly, how the market will respond.  Definitely an interesting question, though.

Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
In reply to snack, Sep 23, 2013

snack wrote:

Simply because I can't buy one anywhere in the US. The situation is ridiculous.

Update to my earlier post:  Ordered on Thursday night, shipped Friday, got it today, Monday.  No problems buying a X100s in the USA.

X-trans sensor?  I'll let you know in about a month or so.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +2 more
newellj
Like?
In reply to David Hardaway, Sep 23, 2013

David Hardaway wrote:

Excellent light the camera will do fine absent too much green in background.

indoor mixed indoor lighting family type shots of people will be mushy with skin tones and uncorrectable white balance issues.

Bayer in the x100 was perfect for all around dependable images. Bayer sensor in X100S with all the new features would have been best.

Most cameras even snapshot small sensor cameras can take photos like that in that type of light. My 1/1.7 tiny sensor S95 snapshot camera can do that.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
David

Folks should be aware that there is a lot of variability in how the different developer software products treat X-Trans files, probably more than in the case of Bayer sensors.  Presumably that will even out...

newellj
Like?
In reply to Luego, Sep 23, 2013

Depending on the expectations of EOS-M owners, if I'd bought one, I'd be contemplating a class action lawsuit...big thumbs down to Canon on that.  I thought Nikon had abused people badly with the V1, but that was nothing...

David Hardaway
Like?
In reply to newellj, Sep 24, 2013

Eos m turned out to be a real gem. Look at the forum... tons of different people posting really outstanding images. No detail smear or color bleed or funky skin tones that look waxy
--
Regards,
David

newellj
Like?
In reply to David Hardaway, Sep 24, 2013

Yes.  One of my cousins bought one and is completely happy - his goal was to use it with a group of legacy MF lenses.  A Nikon or a Fuji wouldn't make a lot of sense, and AF lens support doesn't matter to him, either.

Dan Nikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?
Take David's advice with a *big* grain of salt...
In reply to David Hardaway, Sep 26, 2013

David Hardaway wrote:

--

David is talking nearly all tech and not about the other reasons to get a camera or not, take a look at his work. I can say without hesitation that after 25,000 frames with mine, it has been and will continue to be stellar for ad campaigns, editorial pieces, etc.

But more importantly is how many really talented pros are using the X100S to great effect including several at Magnum, Nat Geo and the New York Times.

Remember, the most important thing in a photograph is the talent and vision that paints the light and life in, not technical milestones. The X100S simplifies a lot of what a true visionary wants to get done, and it does it silently which is the number one of many reasons I and other pros use it.

Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Hardaway, Sep 26, 2013

David Hardaway wrote:

Eos m turned out to be a real gem. Look at the forum... tons of different people posting really outstanding images. No detail smear or color bleed or funky skin tones that look waxy
--
Regards,
David

EOS M...a real gem!!! Now you got me. I've been a Canon users since 2007 first with a TXi, then a 5D2 and now with a T4i. When I decided that the 5D2 was too big and heavy, I bought a smaller T4i and waited for the EOS-M since I also wanted a small mirror less.  When the EOS M came out, I tried it at a shop and it was so bad that it drove me to first get a Sony NEX-7 and now a X100s.  The reasons why Canon can have "tons of different people...." posting pictures (outstanding is your conclusion) is that Canon has millions of users.  Most who also wanted a mirror less was probably like me and waited for the Canon mirror less, but unlike me, many bought one.  Canon has stopped producing EOS-M and has not even hinted about a replacement.

BTW: I have used the xtrans sensor for only a week.  So far no green smear. I use LR4.4. But only time will tell if the problem shows up for me.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +2 more
FD1025
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to snack, Sep 27, 2013

Kenmore camera in Washington has few X100s in stock at their EBay store. i just ordered one for $1,299.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads