What is advantage and disadvantage between X-trans vs Bayer array

Started Sep 7, 2013 | Questions
ealvarez
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
What is advantage and disadvantage between X-trans vs Bayer array
Sep 7, 2013

Hi folks,

Aside from their technicality which I have read in wiki and other places, why one would choose one over the other?. And why people are excited over supposedly upcoming Fuji camera namely X-A1 which will utilize Bayer array sensor instead of x-trans. Isn't x-trans array that made Fuji IQ 'different' and perhaps now appealing than the rest?

Thanks

ED

ANSWER:
stuartgolden
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?
Re: What is advantage and disadvantage between X-trans vs Bayer array
In reply to ealvarez, Sep 7, 2013

"The Fujifilm X-Trans CMOS sensor used in the X-Pro1 is claimed to provide higher resolution than full-frame sensors, and also produce better colour reproduction.

Anti-aliasing filters are used on standard Bayer Array Sensors to reduce moiré effect when shooting regular patterns - however they are known to slightly reduce resolution. The "X-Trans" CMOS sensor uses an irregular pattern of pixels (similar to that found onSilver halide film) in order to reduce moiré without the need for an AA filter.

This same irregular pattern ensures that all horizontal and vertical lines of pixels contain at least one R, G and B pixel whereas Bayer array sensors do not have R and B in some lines resulting in false colour reproduction."

In practical terms - the removal of the AA filter (which is a filter, another thing between the light and a sensor) means you get "more photons" available to hit the sensor.

The X-Trans CMOS just means they removed the standard "pattern" which was subject to the moire effect (shooting screen windows at suspect angles or certain fabric shots) and allows the light photons to hit the sensor through fewer "filters."

Meaning you get more light available in your shots; and then the magic in front of that is amazing glass and behind all that in the sensor and software are just amazing Fuji colors.

Shoot with a standard CMOS sensor and then the X-Trans and you will see the differences.  Subtle but there.

stuartgolden's gear list:stuartgolden's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 50-230mm +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
junyo
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?

ealvarez wrote:

Hi folks,

Aside from their technicality which I have read in wiki and other places, why one would choose one over the other?. And why people are excited over supposedly upcoming Fuji camera namely X-A1 which will utilize Bayer array sensor instead of x-trans. Isn't x-trans array that made Fuji IQ 'different' and perhaps now appealing than the rest?

Thanks

ED

X-Trans CFA, being new, is not as well supported by RAW image processing apps, especially the mainstream ones (Lightroom, Capture One, Aperture). A sensor with a bog standard Bayer CFA has decades of optimized demosiacing algorithms available to it, so the files should be easier to process right out of the box.

It comes down to whether you believe Fuji as to the IQ upside of the XTrans CFA, or how much you like using your current image processing tools/workflow, or how much you pixel peep.

junyo
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to stuartgolden, Sep 7, 2013

CFA and AA filter are not the same things. There are Bayer CFA cameras with no AA filter.

DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331Gear list
Like?
In reply to junyo, Sep 7, 2013

junyo wrote:

X-Trans CFA, being new, is not as well supported by RAW image processing apps, especially the mainstream ones (Lightroom, Capture One, Aperture).

Not quite true. I got latest Adobe Camera Raw plugin and it works fine. TheSILKYPIX software comes with the camera work well too.  But the JPG out of camera is pretty good by itself. I have not seen much advantage with RAW files really.

The combination of the X-trans and software manipulation gives a little more detail in shadow. So in post, I don't need to boost up exposure too much. The X-trans is at least 1f stop better than the best Bayer out there. The difference is probably just due to the AA filter.

In bright light, the Fujifilm tends to blow out the highlight. All you need to do is to crank the compensator to minus 1-1.5 f-stop.

I did lot of research and picked the X-E1 over the NEX6. So far so good.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,963Gear list
Like?

Most digital cameras use an OLPF (optical low pass filter) in front of the sensor to reduce moire effects caused by repeating patterns. While the OLPF does reduce moire, it is essentially just an optical blur filter, so it also reduces sharpness and details in the image.

In X-Trans cameras, Fuji chose to eliminate the OLPF and instead use a unique CFA (color filter array) to reduce moire. Theoretically, the removal of the OLPF will allow the image to retain more sharpness and details. However the special CFA requires more complex demosaicing algorithms with additional software filtering in order to produce an image that is free of artifacts.

I compared images taken with my 16MP Nikon D7000 and 16MP Fuji X-E1 using the same lens and found that both these cameras produce the same amount of sharpness and detail when processed for optimum results. One camera uses an OLPF and the other requires more demosaic filtering. The end result is essentially the same.

Many believe that X-Trans images produce less noise at high ISO than Bayer images. I can easily see how one could reach this conclusion if viewing the DPR comparison tool or other poorly implemented comparisons. I compared the high ISO noise of the D7000 and X-Pro1 and found them to be very similar. The X-Pro had perhaps a 1/3-stop advantage, but that is not enough to make a practical difference.

I believe my test results were different from DPR for two reasons. 1) I compared images with the same shutter speed and raw exposure level. This might mean comparing Fuji ISO 3200 to Nikon ISO 2000 for fair results. 2) I processed both images for optimum sharpness and noise reduction. This means using different settings in LR for each image. The default rendering of the X-Trans image will have less noise, but will also have less sharpness and details. The default rendering of the Nikon image will be the opposite. Once you process them both for optimum results you will get very similar images.

While I find the X-Trans output to be very similar to Bayer output, there is the occasional image where the X-Trans demosaicing algorithm will smear fine details. This has been discussed fervently for many months on this forum. The situation has improved greatly with the latest releases of Adobe and other processors (like CaptureOne). At one point the general rule was to use the OOC JPEGs for best results, now the consensus seems to favor raw for best results. Either way, most of the images I shoot (but, not all) do not have any problems. Only certain images will be affected, generally with foliage or hair or other fine detail that is just the right size to get smeared by the algorithm.

So even with the improvements, X-Trans processing has been a point of frustration for me. I have been using LR/ACR for years; I prefer Adobe tools and 3rd party compatibility, but I sometimes need to use other processors (C1) to get the printed results I want from X-Trans images. My workflow has become convoluted, but I love the feel and controls of my Fuji cameras. I do not want another brand of camera, but for me X-Trans does not provide enough benefit to be worth the processing issues. I will continue to use my current X100 and my X-Trans X-E1 while I await further processing improvements or an X-Pro 2 sans X-Trans. I will also continue to recommend Fuji cameras to others.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica M8 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 +33 more
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

Or perhaps how your taste runs. I use Lightroom, and have no issues with RAW processing at all, even comparing among traditional sensors (D7000, NEX-5R) for the same shot and conditions.

That said, I am not sure much of the hype is true. Even on much-higher-resolutions systems, +/- the filter does not seem to make an resolution difference (D800/D800E, not as directly comparable, but D7000/D7100), esp in the absence of high-end lens, and a lot of the 'amazing low light capability!', though not all, by far, was related to Fuji dramatically misstating their ISO settings.

That said, I love my X-E1, and the pics I get from it. But, I got it mostly for the controls and handling. If they changed to Bayer sensors, if I could get images I liked after processing, I could care less.

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, Sep 7, 2013

Dude, yes.  

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Kali108
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?

junyo wrote:

ealvarez wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks

ED

X-Trans CFA, being new, is not as well supported by RAW image processing apps, especially the mainstream ones (Lightroom, Capture One, Aperture). A sensor with a bog standard Bayer CFA has decades of optimized demosiacing algorithms available to it, so the files should be easier to process right out of the box.

It comes down to whether you believe Fuji as to the IQ upside of the XTrans CFA, or how much you like using your current image processing tools/workflow, or how much you pixel peep.

If the current raw converter comparison happening at FR shows anything, it's that the X trans is now very well supported by raw converters. Iridient Developer and C1P7 being particularly good imo.

ealvarez
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?

Thanks for your reply. Why do you think then Fuji had to develop this new x-trans if no great deal of benefit come out of it? Why not just stay with 'proven' Bayer array? You seems to have the most comprehensive information in your reply and I wonder if you could share your further thoughts about the future of x-trans. I mean Fuji must have had invested a lot of time and money into this X-trans system. Do you share the opinion of many people who think that X-trans is a purely marketing gimmick?

Ed

hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?

honestly, so far I haven't seen any advantages in the real world. there's a bit better performance at higher ISO than from comparable sensors but not much in it. it's still the same old stuff just different colour filter array and that's it. the only sensor which shows clear advantage (up to ISO 400/800) is Foveon.

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
mdavidp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,189Gear list
Like?
In reply to hexxthalion, Sep 7, 2013

To Hex,

Yes, you are correct!

Mike P

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Samsung NX2000 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 10mm F3.5 Fisheye Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,963Gear list
Like?

ealvarez wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Why do you think then Fuji had to develop this new x-trans if no great deal of benefit come out of it? Why not just stay with 'proven' Bayer array? You seems to have the most comprehensive information in your reply and I wonder if you could share your further thoughts about the future of x-trans. I mean Fuji must have had invested a lot of time and money into this X-trans system. Do you share the opinion of many people who think that X-trans is a purely marketing gimmick?

Ed

I would not call it a marketing gimmick. With X-Trans and also with past EXR sensors, I believe Fuji is continually trying to develop sensors that perform better. That is not an easy task as Bayer sensors and algorithms have been incrementally improved over many years. So far, I think they have come up with sensors that offer slight improvements in some areas while being slightly weaker in other areas. Sigma Foveon sensors are similar in this regard; they have awesome detail at low ISO, but poor Hi-ISO performance, large files that slow the camera operation and poor battery life.

All camera makers try to market features that set their products apart from the competition. And they all tend to make lofty claims about the effectiveness of those features. Look at the vendor web page for just about any camera and you will likely find a paragraph describing the improved low-light performance of that particular model.

As far as the future of X-Trans, I believe it will be just like the EXR sensors. Fuji will continue to use it and market it until they come up with their next unique sensor technology.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica M8 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 +33 more
flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,994Gear list
Like?

Randy Benter wrote:

ealvarez wrote:

Ed

I would not call it a marketing gimmick. With X-Trans and also with past EXR sensors, I believe Fuji is continually trying to develop sensors that perform better. That is not an easy task as Bayer sensors and algorithms have been incrementally improved over many years. So far, I think they have come up with sensors that offer slight improvements in some areas while being slightly weaker in other areas. Sigma Foveon sensors are similar in this regard; they have awesome detail at low ISO, but poor Hi-ISO performance, large files that slow the camera operation and poor battery life.

All camera makers try to market features that set their products apart from the competition. And they all tend to make lofty claims about the effectiveness of those features. Look at the vendor web page for just about any camera and you will likely find a paragraph describing the improved low-light performance of that particular model.

As far as the future of X-Trans, I believe it will be just like the EXR sensors. Fuji will continue to use it and market it until they come up with their next unique sensor technology.

"As far as the future of X-Trans, I believe it will be just like the EXR sensors. Fuji will continue to use it and market it until they come up with their next unique sensor technology."

My main concern is not so much the sensor, rather the future of the X mount itsself. I have a nice X-E1, 14mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit but will not at this time invest in more lenses until I'm more confident that the mount and future X mount cameras will continue for a while.

I am loving the output and weight saving.

I am very tempted by the Fujifilm f1.4's and the WA zooms but will resist at this moment.

I really believe the camera market is going through a major shake up bought on by the global economy and technology change which is IMO about to take a leap rather than an incremental advance. The shake out will be very interesting.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,547
Like?
In reply to stuartgolden, Sep 7, 2013

stuartgolden wrote:

Shoot with a standard CMOS sensor and then the X-Trans and you will see the differences. Subtle but there.

I do and there is zero advantage.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,943Gear list
Like?
Simple

I get the same IQ from a APS-C 16MP X-Trans as I get from a FF 21MP Bayer

So I spend far less $$$, and carry less weight of equipment, to achieve the same result.

I directly compared my X-Pro1 with my Canon 5DII to reach this conclusion

That sums it up for me.

I also get better high ISO performance from the Fuji, and better dynamic range as well.

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
xeriwthe
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?

ealvarez wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks

ED

Well, pretty much every diligently performed analysis out there that I have seen, from a professional or very experienced user's perspective, indicates zero to maybe some small (1/3 stop) advantage in noise at high ISO. and generally there is less chroma resolution than bayer images, leading to some loss or desaturation of colors in small details

This holds true mainly for the RAW files, which is what many professional IQ junkies really care about.

When comparing JPG files from x-trans vs bayer cameras, I think the difference in noise control is more pronounced. The fuji JPGs have basically no chroma noise at any ISO, and luma detail is fairly exceptional for each ISO. Even when discounting the Fuji ISO inflation (about +2/3 to 1 stop), the retention of luma detail across the ISO range is pretty impressive.

So, IMO, the real advantage of x-trans seems to be Fuji's ability to produce a great JPG, something that would nearly rival the output of the best RAW-processed images of a few years ago, with all the post process plugin noise reduction and sharpening filters and junk. it's a pretty impressive feat, but nothing that ultimately surpasses the limits of the sensor hardware itself.

just getting closer to the limits of quality that a milliwatt device (hundreds of thousands of times less power consumption than your PC) can produce.

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Sep 7, 2013

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I get the same IQ from a APS-C 16MP X-Trans as I get from a FF 21MP Bayer

So I spend far less $$$, and carry less weight of equipment, to achieve the same result.

I directly compared my X-Pro1 with my Canon 5DII to reach this conclusion

That sums it up for me.

I also get better high ISO performance from the Fuji, and better dynamic range as well.

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

I think this from Chris perfectly sums up the answer to the question. And I totally agree.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
woodsfortysix
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
In reply to flbrit, Sep 7, 2013

I have the same X-E1 kit and completely agree.  I am very interested in the 10-24 X lens, but will wait until I sense of a longer term direction from Fuji.However, I really like my X-E1 and the results...having said that, I still use my Nikon DSLRs for sports / action photography.

woodsfortysix's gear list:woodsfortysix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D4s +14 more
newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to flbrit, Sep 7, 2013

Personally, I am convinced that celluloid film can never replace glass negatives. And even if it does, sheet film will ultimately prove completely superior to roll film, and larger negatives will dominate small formats. History will bear me out.

flbrit wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

ealvarez wrote:

Ed

"As far as the future of X-Trans, I believe it will be just like the EXR sensors. Fuji will continue to use it and market it until they come up with their next unique sensor technology."

My main concern is not so much the sensor, rather the future of the X mount itsself. I have a nice X-E1, 14mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit but will not at this time invest in more lenses until I'm more confident that the mount and future X mount cameras will continue for a while.

I am loving the output and weight saving.

I am very tempted by the Fujifilm f1.4's and the WA zooms but will resist at this moment.

I really believe the camera market is going through a major shake up bought on by the global economy and technology change which is IMO about to take a leap rather than an incremental advance. The shake out will be very interesting.

Brian

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads