Started Sep 7, 2013 | Discussions
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 18,147
Like?
Re: In practice .
In reply to cwathington, Sep 9, 2013

cwathington wrote:

I'm not being defensive at all. I said the OPs review was pretty good.

But, from intuition, not from actual use (which he acknowledges in the thread), he's giving people the wrong impression. I'm fine with more DOF in m4/3, and I'm not saying it's the same as FF, but subject isolation via shallow DOF isn't difficult. Super shallow DOF is hard, but not subject isolation. Full stop.

Obviously, being able to get subject isolation is dependent on how well you can achieve shallow DOF.

People seem to be upset or perturbed by the use of the word "hard" or "difficult". Well, then let's just replace these words with numbers. For example,

FF: 50mm at f/1.4, focused at 10 feet = 1.02 ft DOF

m4/3: 25mm at f/1.4, focused at 10 feet = 2.07 ft DOF

You can do this with various other focal lengths, and you'll always find that the DOF with 4/3 is always at least double what it is with FF. So instead of saying that shallower DOF, or subject isolation, is "harder" or "more difficult" with m4/3, let's just say that whatever you're trying to shoot, at whatever distance, at whatever aperture, you're going to always get at least twice the DOF from m4/3 as you are from FF. There. No passing judgement, using judgmental words like "harder" or "more difficult" or whatever. It's simply twice the DOF. And having twice the DOF will obviously impact your ability to isolate the subject from the background.  Good or bad, hard or easy, difficult or not difficult, people can decide for themselves.

But if you want to see examples of good subject isolation, easily achieved, benefitting from the use of FF, see my post below.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52133824

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,574Gear list
Like?
Re: Fair "review", except for DOF comments
In reply to Bob Meyer, Sep 10, 2013

Thank you. I mentioned that I just had this lens on hand and I also mentioned that this lens can not exploit the potential of the camera.

Using a kit zoom on a full frame like the 24-105L gives you the same DOF control than a fast prime, like the 1.8/45mm on m43. So there is a difference in DOF control. It is a physical law.

And using a fast lens on a full frame opens a new world.

If DOF control is what you are looking for m43 isn't the best choice.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,137Gear list
Like?
Re: well ...
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Sep 11, 2013

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

You pretty much lost me when you quoted the classic FF addict's lament ... with a 4/3" sensor it is hard to separate the subject from the background.

A nonsense statement without all sorts of qualifications ...

-- hide signature --

The world is a disc. Close your eyes. Ignore the facts. Be happy.

You are a dikc, open your eyes, learn the facts, be happy or sad, I don't mind either way, I'm happy.

Nonsense + nonsense = (you guessed it) nonsense.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads