Leica M-E vs M240: A Good Example

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
pgphoto100
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Leica M-E vs M240: A Good Example
7 months ago

I've been obsessing about this comparison. I knew Steve Huff had an extensive review of the M240. However, I haven't read it in a while. I just reread it. On his review, he has a picture of a guy with close cropped hair, black shirt, and left black bracelet. The guy is sitting in a sports bar. PLEASE look at the comparison he has. He has the M240 vs the ME/M9 of this guy. I know the ME has poorer ISO range, less dynamic range, no live view, etc... You'll see the above mentioned comparison about 3/4 of the way down the page. I personally have to say the ME really does seem to have more of a 3-D effect. You have to look at the large view, but it's that Leica pop. Namely, that his face seems to emerge from a buttery smooth background in a full-on "pop out at you" way. The light dropoff seems more natural and "less crispy", more "buttery". I want a color Leica for people, and despite less dynamic range, worse ISO performance, and other defects, in my opinion it really seems like the ME does a better job with people. It's subtle but it's there. I want to get the M240, but I can't help but notice this difference. Would love to hear others' opinions. Again, please go to the below link and look 3/4 way down the page at the guy in the bar. Please give feedback as to which version you prefer, ME vs M240. I vote for the ME but maybe it's just me. Thanks in advance.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/03/11/the-leica-m-240-real-world-camera-review-2013-by-steve-huff/

JDLaing
Senior MemberPosts: 1,222Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica M-E vs M240: A Good Example
In reply to pgphoto100, 7 months ago

You can't and shouldn't compare the two. They are apples and oranges.

One is not any better or worse. They are just different. And Steve Huff does not take my pictures for me.

JDLaing's gear list:JDLaing's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 3,413
Like?

pgphoto100 wrote:

I've been obsessing about this comparison. I knew Steve Huff had an extensive review of the M240. However, I haven't read it in a while. I just reread it. On his review, he has a picture of a guy with close cropped hair, black shirt, and left black bracelet. The guy is sitting in a sports bar. PLEASE look at the comparison he has. He has the M240 vs the ME/M9 of this guy. I know the ME has poorer ISO range, less dynamic range, no live view, etc... You'll see the above mentioned comparison about 3/4 of the way down the page. I personally have to say the ME really does seem to have more of a 3-D effect. You have to look at the large view, but it's that Leica pop. Namely, that his face seems to emerge from a buttery smooth background in a full-on "pop out at you" way. The light dropoff seems more natural and "less crispy", more "buttery". I want a color Leica for people, and despite less dynamic range, worse ISO performance, and other defects, in my opinion it really seems like the ME does a better job with people. It's subtle but it's there. I want to get the M240, but I can't help but notice this difference. Would love to hear others' opinions. Again, please go to the below link and look 3/4 way down the page at the guy in the bar. Please give feedback as to which version you prefer, ME vs M240. I vote for the ME but maybe it's just me. Thanks in advance.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/03/11/the-leica-m-240-real-world-camera-review-2013-by-steve-huff/

I disagree. The M240 has better color and detail. The 3d look you describe maybe affected by small differences in the focus and also the fact that in the ME image he seems to be a bit closer to the lens. In any case I think the M240 image has a very good look and a 3d effect as well.

By the way, I think you are obsessing by something that in my opinion will not have great effect on the final image. You choice of lens and the quality of the light are much bigger influences to the look of the final image.

Best, D

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 26,860
Like?

Minor rendering differences at most, easily changed. The M(240) image is cleaner and has better image data to work with.

I've heard this same stuff repeated ad nauseam by various people since the M(240) was first announced. I refer you to Ctein's latest article on "The Online Photographer" ...

Bad Science vs. Good Science: A Guide for the Layperson (Part 1)

This notion seems to fall into "The God of the Gaps" category.

-- hide signature --
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,596
Like?
In reply to Daedalus2000, 7 months ago

Daedalus2000 wrote:

I disagree. The M240 has better color and detail. The 3d look you describe maybe affected by small differences in the focus and also the fact that in the ME image he seems to be a bit closer to the lens. In any case I think the M240 image has a very good look and a 3d effect as well.

+1. I'm not a Leica shooter, but given the choice I prefer the 240. I think this is especially true if you scroll down to the four fireplug comparison photos. The 240 at least in these images has a lot of pop and presence.

Michael

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads