NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
kage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463
Like?
NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head
11 months ago

Perhaps this has been discussed before...

But is the difference between the two really just the NFC?

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy right now, and am wondering if I am missing some detail.  Maybe there is a performance difference?  Something?

Confused.

-k-

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,720Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head
In reply to kage, 11 months ago

I want to know what happened to the 5S ! 

Basically there are minimal differences, a bit of minor tweaking to the Bionz processing but nothing major, its just a face-lift.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zink
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?

kage wrote:

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy right now, and am wondering if I am missing some detail. Maybe there is a performance difference? Something?

Confused.

-k-

Nothing serious. It will only result in even more extreme devaluation of the previous models.

zink's gear list:zink's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
The real difference is PRICE

You can get a 5R and lens for well under $450 these days.

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

Even Sony don't know what the difference is.

They have to go to Sony Alpha Rumours to find out about these things.

Diopter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?
Sony is learning the hard way respect to the buyer ...

kage wrote:

Confused.

The NEX - initially a big event at the still photography world - quickly lost sense of direction.

Chaotic line-up of the camera models is accompanying by even more irrational lens offer.

Maybe suspension of the "7" release is a sign of the changes in Sony's sick marketing policies.

A few day ago I bought the 5R with two kit lenses and two no-nonsense "free gifts" for the total of $749 and I am happy with that.

(-)

kage
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 11 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

I want to know what happened to the 5S !

Basically there are minimal differences, a bit of minor tweaking to the Bionz processing but nothing major, its just a face-lift.

Does anyone know what these tweaks might be?

Does it make the 5T any faster?  Or does it have to do with JPEG performance or character?

I'd like to make as informed a choice as possible.  The 5T is really quite perplexing to me.

-k-

paulcraig
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

Personally, I'd grab a 5R since they are a great deal now. The 5T adds very little. Sony cameras are already on a yearly refresh cycle (more or less) so I wonder if this is an attempt by Sony to accelerate this further, taking a page from Apple's playbook.

paulcraig's gear list:paulcraig's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?

The 5R usually comes with the 18-55 lens.  The 5T comes with the 16-50 lens.

Diopter
Like?
In reply to gwlaw99, 11 months ago

gwlaw99 wrote:

The 5R usually comes with the 18-55 lens. The 5T comes with the 16-50 lens.

I agree: motorized zoom for an interchangeable lens camera is a nonsense

(-)

kage
Like?
How about the screen?

Is it still the same style of touch screen (non-capacitive)?

-k-

alterstill
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony is learning the hard way respect to the buyer ...
In reply to Diopter, 11 months ago

Diopter wrote:

kage wrote:

Confused.

The NEX - initially a big event at the still photography world - quickly lost sense of direction.

Chaotic line-up of the camera models is accompanying by even more irrational lens offer.

Maybe suspension of the "7" release is a sign of the changes in Sony's sick marketing policies.

A few day ago I bought the 5R with two kit lenses and two no-nonsense "free gifts" for the total of $749 and I am happy with that.

(-)

I wonder why you use Sony cameras since you seem to moan all the time. Have you ever considered jumping the ship (and subsequently forum)? Or is complaining something you take pleasure from?

-- hide signature --
 alterstill's gear list:alterstill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
BubbaHotepUK
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulcraig, 11 months ago

Actually, often these things are the result improved manufacturing processes - integration of two separate chips, reduced size of internal components etc.  It gives Sony the opportunity to launch a new model at a similar price point with little R&D but better margins, with the NFC added to leverage their work in the smartphone/tablet arena.

It's a more compelling product for Sony than the customers.

BubbaHotepUK's gear list:BubbaHotepUK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 721
Like?

look its really simple if you get a decent discount on a 5R get it if not get the 5T .. simple as that

Diopter
Like?
In reply to alterstill, 11 months ago

alterstill wrote:

I wonder why you use Sony cameras since you seem to moan all the time.

The way, you think would never allow to understand that.

Please do not hesitate and submit any substantial questions.

(-)

hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 721
Like?

Diopter wrote:

gwlaw99 wrote:

I would disagree, the ONLY advantage the NEx has over the small light entry level dslr is compactness, bolt on a big standard kit lens to anyone rational it looses this advantage .. after all the NEX (5/6) is far more expensive, AF is crap in comparison, lens choice is crap in comparison, ergonomics are crap in comparison, battery life is crap in comparison .. etc etc

apart from some people not liking the PZ lever the usual Sony lens QC problem hammered the new folding lens design - a lot of people say its soft - in 99% of cases its crap Sony QC on the AF
- buy the focus bracketing app and test it and if the AF is out send it back to Sony

I got a crap focusing AF PZ kit and with the Focus bracketing app proved easily to Sony the AF was crap and got the lens block replaced with a V2 one which AF properly and is very sharp and at least as good as the std kit lens

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,666
Like?

kage wrote:

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy right now, and am wondering if I am missing some detail. Maybe there is a performance difference? Something?

Confused.

-k-

It also supports the Triluminous display which is a feature of the 2013 range of Sony LCD televisions

Other than that we don't know - SAR suggested that there had been changes to the user interface but their predictions have been variable recently so that may or may not be the case

The release is very strange as it offers no obvious advantages to new users (unless there are interface changes, which could have been implemented via a firmware change to the 5r anyway) and alienates existing 5R users who just see the value of their camera drop and who will almost certainly not see any firmware improvements which might(?) appear in the new model migrated to the 5R (ie. the 5T effectively becomes a $700 firmware upgrade over the 5R)

I suspect the release is mainly driven by internal Sony politics...  nfc is a feature of the latest Sony phones and triluminous is a feature of the latest Sony TV's.  These features will be of no interest or use to most customers but doubtless the product manager won 'brownie points' (or at least hoped to) for 'leveraging cross product synergy' or whatever terms the senior managment use to define what needs to appear to be done if one wants a good appraisal

alterstill
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?

Diopter wrote:

alterstill wrote:

I wonder why you use Sony cameras since you seem to moan all the time.

The way, you think would never allow to understand that.

Please do not hesitate and submit any substantial questions.

(-)

You are right - I do think. I have also met quite a few smart and friendly folks on forums like this. And since you are neither I have no further questions.

-- hide signature --
 alterstill's gear list:alterstill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Diopter
Like?
LOL (n/t)
In reply to parallaxproblem, 11 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

cross product synergy' or whatever terms the senior managment use to define what needs to appear to be done if one wants a good appraisal

LOL

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,563Gear list
Like?

Diopter wrote:

gwlaw99 wrote:

(-)

That's supposed to make it more appealing to video makers.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads