70D vs. 6D noice performance in low light

Started Sep 6, 2013 | Questions
Gunnar Strand
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
70D vs. 6D noice performance in low light
Sep 6, 2013

Hi.

Is the 70D performs as good as 6D in low light regarding the noice?

I have seen test with 6D perform realy good at 6400 ISO but if I try to look for type of same test for 70D I got video, live view and so on in return.

Have any of you all tested ISO performans? Is ther any test shoots out on the net to show images

Thanks Gunnar

Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,324
Like?
Re: 70D vs. 6D noice performance in low light
In reply to Gunnar Strand, Sep 6, 2013

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

I have seen test with 6D perform realy good at 6400 ISO but if I try to look for type of same test for 70D I got video, live view and so on in return.

Have any of you all tested ISO performans? Is ther any test shoots out on the net to show images

Thanks Gunnar

You can compare 70D and 6D on page 8-10 in DPR's 70D preview. Just change one of the other cameras in the comparison to 6D. You can also use the 'comparometer' on Imaging Resource.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gunnar Strand
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Steen Bay, Sep 6, 2013

Steen Bay wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

Thanks Gunnar

You can compare 70D and 6D on page 8-10 in DPR's 70D preview. Just change one of the other cameras in the comparison to 6D. You can also use the 'comparometer' on Imaging Resource.

Thanks, it was the thing I was looking for, stupid not to check the images on DPR first.

Now I think the goal is set for a 70D insted of 6D.

I use a 60D today and I'm happy with it in most of the ways exept high ISO and WiFi, think its better to get a 16-35 and a 70D insted of a 6D and 2x converter.

Thanks fore your replay.

/Gunnar

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Steen Bay
Like?

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

Thanks Gunnar

Thanks, it was the thing I was looking for, stupid not to check the images on DPR first.

I use a 60D today and I'm happy with it in most of the ways exept high ISO and WiFi, think its better to get a 16-35 and a 70D insted of a 6D and 2x converter.

Personally I'd choose a lens like e.g. EF-S 15-85mm instead. It has a much more useful range, IS, and a performance that's pretty much the same for less money. Or alternatively, for example a Tamron 17-50mm, with or without IS, if you want a f/2.8 lens.

P.S. - Or maybe Sigma 18-35mm, f/1.8 if you want a really fast and good lens.

Thanks fore your replay.

/Gunnar

Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477Gear list
Like?

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

Thanks Gunnar

Thanks fore your replay.

/Gunnar

I hope you compared RAW not JPEG.  At ISO1600 the 70D is still slightly able to compete with the full frame 6D.  However, at ISO3200 the 6D pulls away.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +9 more
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 31,519
Like?

Steen Bay wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

Thanks Gunnar

The problem is though, that an ISO for ISO comparison isn't one that covers very many real photographic situations, since one would set ISOs differently on a 6D to a 70D for the same kind of shot, or at least it's a fair assumption that if a photographer has progressed to consider $1000 body only prices, they would have moved beyond simply making a wild stab at ISO settings, and would be thinking much more about why they'd be choosing one ISO setting over another.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Steen Bay
Like?
In reply to bobn2, Sep 6, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

Thanks Gunnar

The problem is though, that an ISO for ISO comparison isn't one that covers very many real photographic situations, since one would set ISOs differently on a 6D to a 70D for the same kind of shot, or at least it's a fair assumption that if a photographer has progressed to consider $1000 body only prices, they would have moved beyond simply making a wild stab at ISO settings, and would be thinking much more about why they'd be choosing one ISO setting over another.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Yes, but on the other hand, if shooting in low light with a f/2.8 lens, wouldn't people then typically shoot wide open and therefore use the same ISO on FF and APS-C? If stopping down to f/4.5 on FF in order to get the same DoF, then FF would lose its noise advantage, and it's my impression that many people in that situation think that a more shallow DoF is more acceptable than more noise.

Robemo
Regular MemberPosts: 379Gear list
Like?

Just this week I had a chance to work with both for a day. Both nice cameras. Comparisons of cameras based on well lit studio scenes is a bit deceiving. In real life the difference between full frame and aps-c is much more pronounced. For instance shots taken indoors with natural light or street shots in dim light produce noise in the shadows with aps-c even when using low iso. Full frame is practically noise free even when using higher iso's.

To put it in perspective, this will only show when printing/displaying images in large formats. If you use your images for display on HD TV or print them very large all the time, full frame is the best choice. Also if you crop images heavily often, noise will become more visible with aps-c (but then again that would mean bad composition of the image in the first place).

I am a bit of an image quality freak so I prefer full frame myself. It's hard to explain, but if you get the chance try a full frame camera yourself and see what I mean. The difference is hard to describe, but it is certainly there (pixel quality, pixel sharpness, low noise, leeway, whatever you call it ...).

Ron

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,142
Like?

Steen Bay wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

Thanks Gunnar

-- hide signature --

Bob

Yes, but on the other hand, if shooting in low light with a f/2.8 lens, wouldn't people then typically shoot wide open and therefore use the same ISO on FF and APS-C?

They would likely use the same shutter speed (if they want to fully profit from the better low-light performance of the FF sensor, otherwise they might up the shutter speed a bit to gain both less motion blur and better IQ). But using the same shutter speed does not necessarily mean using the same ISO setting. (Unless you use the term ISO like DxO does it, as proxy for exposure.)

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 31,519
Like?

Steen Bay wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

Thanks Gunnar

-- hide signature --

Bob

Yes, but on the other hand, if shooting in low light with a f/2.8 lens, wouldn't people then typically shoot wide open and therefore use the same ISO on FF and APS-C?

That depends, doesn't it? It depends on what is more important to them. For instance, stadium floodlight shots are generally constrained by how much depth of field is needed to get the important part of the action in. That's one of the skills of the sports photographer. anyone can open it up as far as it will go every shot and snap away, but that generally won't produce the money shot.

If stopping down to f/4.5 on FF in order to get the same DoF, then FF would lose its noise advantage,

Yes, it would, but that's what people do. One of the reasons that we have adjustable controls on our cameras is so that we can use those controls to get the shot we want, rather than the one shot that camera produces for us. So, the advantage of FF is that you can trade DOF for light when you want to - that does not imply that a competent photographer would choose always, or even most of the time, to do so. So having a camera which can do it when you need is a big advantage a camera purposed to do what you usually do, and needing a second to cover the exceptional circumstance, since the exceptional circumstance camera can also cover what you usually do.

and it's my impression that many people in that situation think that a more shallow DoF is more acceptable than more noise.

The practical reality is allowed to be different from your impression.

-- hide signature --

Bob

x-vision
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129
Like?

Gunnar Strand wrote:

I wish it did!

Seriously, the 6D has one stop ISO/noise advantage vs the 70D.

ernieF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591Gear list
Like?
In reply to x-vision, Sep 6, 2013

While I totally agree with what x-vision says (above) re noise comparison of 6D and 70D, I would note that the noise of the 70D at ISO 6400 and 12,800 is fine to very fine and thus pretty easy to deal with in post processing.  That said, the 6D has still much less apparent noise at those ISO levels, as one would expect.

I have had the 6D for several months and love its image quality, and I just acquired the 70D for some of its other features like articulating screen and 7 fps.  I just wish that the 6D had those features.

I think as a general purpose all around camera, the 70D would be hard to beat though, and at high ISOs it's  fine grained noise is pretty easy to deal with.

Just my nickels worth.  Cheers and good luck.  Ernie

ernieF's gear list:ernieF's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,735Gear list
Like?
I have both...

I have the 6D for the reasons others in this thread have referred to...low light ISO 12800 up.  In particular for motion-kids moving (e.g. opening Xmas presents with only tree lights and a single 60watt incandescent on the ceiling), sports etc.  For still where kids etc. are not moving I wouldn't need the 6D.  Could use the 70D with IS lens like the 35mm f2 IS which I have and love.  Brings up the point of not having IS in lowlight even though kids are still.  My technique isn't good enough even to go to 1/125 sec. without IS.  Sometimes I get lucky but would not want to miss great shots.

So, its the 6D and 35mm f2 IS for low light indoors of kids.

I should list the points where the 70D is better than the 6D IMHO and the reasons I purchased it.

1.  Articulating LCD (sure wish the 6D had this);

2.  Fast Live View;

3.  Touch screen LCD;

4.  1.6X crop for BIF and long distance photos where I crop a lot.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EOS 6D +9 more
Craig76
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
In reply to Noogy, Sep 6, 2013

Noogy wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Gunnar Strand wrote:

Hi.

Thanks Gunnar

Thanks fore your replay.

/Gunnar

I hope you compared RAW not JPEG. At ISO1600 the 70D is still slightly able to compete with the full frame 6D. However, at ISO3200 the 6D pulls away.

-- hide signature --

I agree with that. I've compared the RAW tests of the 70D to the 60D and 6D very closely numerous times and found the 70D to be only very slightly (barely noticeable) better than the 60D at high ISO. But (according to my eyes at least) I would say the 6D is roughly 1 and 2/3 stops better than the 70D at high ISO like 6400 and 12800. At 1600 and less I couldn't really see a difference between the three of them.

4thnebula
Like?
Was just checking last Xmas 6D photos with Canon 50mm f1.4
In reply to 4thnebula, Sep 7, 2013

In what I am defining as Xmas light, I needed 1/160s at ISO 6400 and f2 with my Canon 6D combined with Canon 50mm f1.4.  This is with moderate movement.  The 6D still has pretty smooth results at the ISO.  I expect my 70D will have noticeable grain assuming it is near my T4i in ISO IQ.  However, I wouldn't be too concerned for family photos at that ISO with the 70D though I sure love the 6D results.

Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EOS 6D +9 more
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,519Gear list
Like?
Re: No comparison?

I expect my 70D will have noticeable grain assuming it is near my T4i in ISO IQ.

OK, so you're previous comments about the 6D being better were not based on any actual comparison. I'm not saying that the 70D will be as good as the 6D at high ISO, but your posts have suggested that you have both and find the 6D better, while you haven't actually done the comparison.

So, if you have a few minutes, please take the time to take some shots indoors in low light at ISO 6400 and ideally post the results when both have been processed with the same DPP settings.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
4thnebula
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Sep 7, 2013

Good points and I appreciate your apparent desire to have some rigor to this forum.  As moderator I expect that is partly your job though I would agree that should be the goal of us all.  Point much appreciated.

I made the T4i comparison comments since I took photos at the same 2012 Xmas morning with my T4i and 6D and based on what I have seen so far I expect that the 70D would approximate the T4i (at least much more so than the 6D in low light with moving kids).  Last Xmas photos were not side by side photos so I will do side by side low light and try to post.  Since I no longer have my T4i (the 70D replaced it) I will have to do 70D vs 6D comparisons and try somehow to relate the the T4i base on other photos.

Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,519Gear list
Like?

Personally, the comparison with the Rebel isn't that important to me - I'd like to know how the 70D compares to the 6D.

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Sep 9, 2013

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Personally, the comparison with the Rebel isn't that important to me - I'd like to know how the 70D compares to the 6D.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

DPR image comparisons are available, the 70D can be compared to a host of other cameras in the same or higher category.  The T4i is NOT the 70D.  It has a different sensor.  That said, it is clear from DPR comparisons that as usual, its APS-C sensor loses to the full-frame might of the 6D and the 5dMIII.

-- hide signature --

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +9 more
intuos
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to Gunnar Strand, Nov 24, 2013

On the 70D can you zoom in while taking a movie with the zoom button (magnifying glass)? I returned mine but am wondering.

On the 6D, you can not zoom in during a movie. I thought if you could then it would help with manual focus, but when I tried, it would not zoom in during a movie.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads