Which inkjet printer for a graphic designer?

Started Sep 6, 2013 | Questions
lee simmons
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Which inkjet printer for a graphic designer?
Sep 6, 2013

Hi,

I'm a freelance graphic designer looking for an inkjet to fit in a home office.

• It must achieve borderless prints

• preferably A3, but open to A4

• I am likely to be using a heavier weight paper than 80gsm - but not photo paper so it's important that the amount of ink deposited onto the page isn't so much that the paper can't take it.

• The majority of the work will be text based.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

ANSWER:
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,839
Like?
Lee, this is a photography site/forums....
In reply to lee simmons, Sep 6, 2013

lee simmons wrote:

Hi,

I'm a freelance graphic designer looking for an inkjet to fit in a home office.

• It must achieve borderless prints

• preferably A3, but open to A4

• I am likely to be using a heavier weight paper than 80gsm - but not photo paper so it's important that the amount of ink deposited onto the page isn't so much that the paper can't take it.

• The majority of the work will be text based.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

I think you would be better off going to ask the same questions in the Adobe.com Photoshop forums.

Bob P.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Drew Hendrix
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?
Re: Lee, this is a photography site/forums....
In reply to Petruska, Sep 6, 2013

A great printer for graphic design is the Canon Pixma iX6520. It may be named something slightly different outside of North America. It is 13" wide, four color, and will feed any inkjet paper you might have.

Though this link may not work, we are a vendor and linking to our own site is possibly verboten, you can review our article on best printers for graphic design here:

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/articles/best-inkjet-printer-for-graphic-design.html

-- hide signature --

Drew Hendrix
VP / Tech Support Manager
Red River Paper

lee simmons
Like?
In reply to Petruska, Sep 7, 2013

Thanks Bob, will do.

lee simmons
Like?
In reply to Drew Hendrix, Sep 7, 2013

Drew,

thanks for this - I'll look into it.

Much appreciated,

Lee

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to lee simmons, Sep 7, 2013

It depends.  Are you proofing brochures, web pages, etc. for client approval, I think running a 4-color printer may be good enough and much less expensive.  The Epson WF-7010 may be good example of that. Uses DuraBrite pigment inks. The WF-7010 can do 13-inch wide and has 2 paper cassette trays.

If you are outputting more artwork-like graphics with custom colors (Pantone), etc. the demands are greater. This is actually where inkjet printers got their start-proofing for prepress, a la Iris printers.  Then, I believe, fine art photographers joined in, with Jon Cone and MIS Associates 2 of the pioneers.

Andrew Curatola
Senior MemberPosts: 1,418Gear list
Like?
In reply to lee simmons, Sep 7, 2013

Lee, I have the Pixma 6520 which I use strickly for text and the Epson R3000 which I use strickly for photos. I use 3rd party compatible inks in the Pixma 6520 and 3rd party refillable ink from Inkjet Carts in my Epson R3000. I profiled both printers using Color Monkie on Red River Ultra Pro Satin paper.

This morning I printed out the same photo size 7 x 10 on both printers. The Canon is dye base and the Epson is pigment based. After printing them out I would be hard pressed into telling the difference between the 2 printouts.

The point I'm trying to bring out is that the Pixma 6520 is a very good printer that I just learned this morning. There is a big difference in price and inkcarts used for each printer.

BTW I was even looking at the Canon Pro 1 in case anything happened to my Epson 3000 printer.

Enjoy whatever printer you decide on

Andrew

Andrew Curatola's gear list:Andrew Curatola's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
lee simmons
Like?
In reply to Gesture, Sep 7, 2013

Thanks for this - not so worried about colour proofing - mainly concerned with crisp type

lee simmons
Like?
In reply to Andrew Curatola, Sep 7, 2013

Hi Andrew - great - I'll look at both of these - more concerned with seeing how the text prints than the image. Good to get a comparison. Thanks so much,

Lee

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads