GH3 - Rear screen died today. :(

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,904Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 - Rear screen died today. :(
In reply to sea_dragon, 10 months ago

sea_dragon wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try the eye sensor but it doesn't have any effect. The screen most likely has a connector problem.

I'll contact Panasonic Canada when I get back from vacation on Monday. Thank God this camera has an EVF that is allowing me to continue shooting.

I'm heading to Europe in 5 weeks so I hope I can get this resolved by then.

If my LCD stopped working I may not find out for weeks as I rarely use it.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sea_dragon
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?
In reply to LMNCT, 10 months ago

Actually, since I live about 45 minutes drive from Panasonic Canada, I think I'm going to bring the camera to them myself. I did this with a Roland keyboard a few years ago and they looked at it on the spot. I doubt that will happen this time, but I'll be able to hopefully show them in person what its doing.

sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
sea_dragon
Like?

I'm still curious. Does anyone know if there is a master reset for the GH3? The kind that puts it back to out of the box mode where it asks you date/time and language?

While inspecting the body for a reset button, I noticed that the camera serial number has almost completely rubbed off to the point where you can't read it.. It's just ink on a sticker rather than being etched like it is on lenses. Not sure why Panasonic opted for that. I hope this doesn't cause a warranty hassle.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,904
Like?

Most electronic devices today, do not have a physical switch to perform a hard reset. It's usually done via firmware, or a combination of key presses.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

sea_dragon
Like?

I dropped the camera in to the Panasonic repair shop today and was able to show the technician that will be working on the camera what it's doing. He suspects a loose connection but will know for sure when he opens it up.

Should be a quick turnaround but of course will depend if parts are needed and availability.

Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551Gear list
Like?

Good to hear you were able to show the issue to the right person. I wish it was that easy for everyone.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
sea_dragon
Like?
In reply to Mike Ronesia, 10 months ago

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Good to hear you were able to show the issue to the right person. I wish it was that easy for everyone.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Yes, it felt good to be able to do this in person.  I phoned Panasonic first and they told me where the service place was so I drove there this afternoon.  I'm lucky to be only ~45 minutes away.

sea_dragon
Like?

I just heard from the repair technician and he said the screen itself is bad.  The connections were good.  He's ordered a new screen assembly.

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,609Gear list
Like?
In reply to SHood, 10 months ago

SHood wrote:

Same here. Only use it for menus so far. Then back it goes, LCD against the body.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
sea_dragon
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, 10 months ago

PC Wheeler wrote:

SHood wrote:

Same here. Only use it for menus so far. Then back it goes, LCD against the body.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I use the EVF for most of my shots, but I also use the screen quite a bit for menus, awkward shooting angles and for video.  It needs to work.

The built in flash is something that I wouldn't notice if it was broken as I never use it.  In fact, I don't think I've ever used it.  But I'd still want it fixed if it were broken.

sea_dragon
Like?

So, I got my camera back from service a couple of days ago.  New screen works great.

Then, as I was using the camera today, I could hear something rattling every so often as I handled the camera.  Then this plastic hinge cover piece fell off.  Obviously broken during the screen replacement.

Grrrr!  I just can't seem to win with this stuff.  Now I have to bring it back as this piece is broken and does not stay on.

This is why I dread getting stuff fixed as it never seems to be put back together properly.

Very frustrating.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads