Fuji X-A1

Started Sep 5, 2013 | Discussions
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-A1
Sep 5, 2013
 DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
limlh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to DonSantos, Sep 6, 2013

Would be more attractive if it had the new 20mp sensor from Sony A3000.
--
http://www.pbase.com/lhlim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,683Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to DonSantos, Sep 6, 2013

Looks like its designed to compete against Sony Nex 5r and t and Nex 6. Same 16.3mp sensor without the Xtrans colour array.

The new processor, swivel LCD screen and wifi are indications of what we can expect from XE2 and XPro 2. Hopefully Fuji makes the XPro 2 more differentiated from the XE2 to create more of a hierarchy of models with separate and distinct value points for each.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
straylightrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 938Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Sep 6, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Looks like its designed to compete against Sony Nex 5r and t and Nex 6. Same 16.3mp sensor without the Xtrans colour array.

Really? It looks more like it competes with the NEX-3n. Definitely not the NEX-6.

 straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony E PZ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to straylightrun, Sep 6, 2013

straylightrun wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Looks like its designed to compete against Sony Nex 5r and t and Nex 6. Same 16.3mp sensor without the Xtrans colour array.

Really? It looks more like it competes with the NEX-3n. Definitely not the NEX-6.

Agreed, the lack of viewfinder (and impossibility to add one) puts it more against the NEX 3 series, of the Samsung NX300.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Marla2008, Sep 6, 2013

Fuji made a wise move here, offering their wonderful lenses with a traditional bayer sensor.  I give them huge props if this actually comes to light without the goofy xtrans nonsense.  Hopefully this will lead to an xtrans-less model with an EVF, similar to the X-E1

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to DonSantos, Sep 6, 2013

DonSantos wrote:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotoskoda.cz%2Fclanky%2F129-novinky-fujifilm-x-a1-a-fujinon-xf23mm-f1-4%2F

So it's essentially an x-m1 without the x-trans headaches and cheaper too.

I so plan to get one!

Also two features that the x-e1/x-pro1 doesn't have.

1.  face detection AF!

2.  user set minimum shutter speed in Aperture Priority mode!

 DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,735Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Sep 6, 2013

"Hopefully Fuji makes the XPro 2 more differentiated from the XE2 to create more of a hierarchy of models with separate and distinct value points for each."

God, *I* hope not! I would like it to be just like now, if you are one of those people who has to have an OVF, you get the 'Pro', and the rest of us can get the same camera without it as the X-E.

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Caerolle, Sep 6, 2013
 MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Samaistuin
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to AngryCorgi, Sep 6, 2013

AngryCorgi wrote:

Hopefully this will lead to an xtrans-less model with an EVF, similar to the X-E1

-- hide signature --

-AC-

And waste resources & confuse consumers in the process, having two cheap mirrorless cameras (X-A1, X-M1) and two more expensive ones (X-E1, hypothetical-X-non-trans)? Bad idea IMHO.

The X-Trans technology is worth refining - and it's already quite good. It is in the interest of Fuji to focus on these sensors, which provides them with a strategic advantage in a world where sensor makers are few and differentiating points between cameras are few too.

All they need at the moment is to put more efforts in making third-party softwares handle their RAW format correctly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,161
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Caerolle, Sep 6, 2013

Caerolle wrote:

"Hopefully Fuji makes the XPro 2 more differentiated from the XE2 to create more of a hierarchy of models with separate and distinct value points for each."

God, *I* hope not! I would like it to be just like now, if you are one of those people who has to have an OVF, you get the 'Pro', and the rest of us can get the same camera without it as the X-E.

I'm with you but I also feel the people who want articulated LCD, face detection, and all this other stuff probably need to be looking at another brand.

The people who have maligned the X Trans sensor absolutely need to be looking at other cameras.

If Fuji changes all these things then they'll be no different than any other camera and I'll loose interest in a hurry.

They'll just be another run-of-the-mill brand; no different or better than any other.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Samaistuin, Sep 6, 2013

Samaistuin wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

Hopefully this will lead to an xtrans-less model with an EVF, similar to the X-E1

-- hide signature --

-AC-

And waste resources & confuse consumers in the process, having two cheap mirrorless cameras (X-A1, X-M1) and two more expensive ones (X-E1, hypothetical-X-non-trans)? Bad idea IMHO.

The X-Trans technology is worth refining - and it's already quite good. It is in the interest of Fuji to focus on these sensors, which provides them with a strategic advantage in a world where sensor makers are few and differentiating points between cameras are few too.

All they need at the moment is to put more efforts in making third-party softwares handle their RAW format correctly.

Increasing market share is NEVER a "waste of of resources".  A lot of people don't care for the x-trans headaches and like the behaviour of the traditional bayer filtered cameras.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Elliot H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to DonSantos, Sep 6, 2013

DonSantos wrote:

So it's essentially an x-m1 without the x-trans headaches and cheaper too.

what  "x-trans headaches" are you referring to?

thank you

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Ed B, Sep 7, 2013

Ed B wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

"Hopefully Fuji makes the XPro 2 more differentiated from the XE2 to create more of a hierarchy of models with separate and distinct value points for each."

God, *I* hope not! I would like it to be just like now, if you are one of those people who has to have an OVF, you get the 'Pro', and the rest of us can get the same camera without it as the X-E.

I'm with you but I also feel the people who want articulated LCD, face detection, and all this other stuff probably need to be looking at another brand.

The people who have maligned the X Trans sensor absolutely need to be looking at other cameras.

If Fuji changes all these things then they'll be no different than any other camera and I'll loose interest in a hurry.

They'll just be another run-of-the-mill brand; no different or better than any other.

If catering to a larger group of people makes you lose interest (not loose) in a camera manufacturerer you have your priorities seriously misplaced.  Camera manufacturers are in it to profit, not to establish and cater to a narrow fan club.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,161
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to AngryCorgi, Sep 7, 2013

AngryCorgi wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

"Hopefully Fuji makes the XPro 2 more differentiated from the XE2 to create more of a hierarchy of models with separate and distinct value points for each."

God, *I* hope not! I would like it to be just like now, if you are one of those people who has to have an OVF, you get the 'Pro', and the rest of us can get the same camera without it as the X-E.

I'm with you but I also feel the people who want articulated LCD, face detection, and all this other stuff probably need to be looking at another brand.

The people who have maligned the X Trans sensor absolutely need to be looking at other cameras.

If Fuji changes all these things then they'll be no different than any other camera and I'll loose interest in a hurry.

They'll just be another run-of-the-mill brand; no different or better than any other.

If catering to a larger group of people makes you lose interest (not loose) in a camera manufacturerer you have your priorities seriously misplaced. Camera manufacturers are in it to profit, not to establish and cater to a narrow fan club.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Well, you're right about lose and I hate it when people make that mistake.

Afraid I can't agree on your narrow fan club comment but you're entitled to your opinion.

Do you own a Fuji?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to AngryCorgi, Sep 7, 2013

AngryCorgi wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

"Hopefully Fuji makes the XPro 2 more differentiated from the XE2 to create more of a hierarchy of models with separate and distinct value points for each."

God, *I* hope not! I would like it to be just like now, if you are one of those people who has to have an OVF, you get the 'Pro', and the rest of us can get the same camera without it as the X-E.

I'm with you but I also feel the people who want articulated LCD, face detection, and all this other stuff probably need to be looking at another brand.

The people who have maligned the X Trans sensor absolutely need to be looking at other cameras.

If Fuji changes all these things then they'll be no different than any other camera and I'll loose interest in a hurry.

They'll just be another run-of-the-mill brand; no different or better than any other.

If catering to a larger group of people makes you lose interest (not loose) in a camera manufacturerer you have your priorities seriously misplaced. Camera manufacturers are in it to profit, not to establish and cater to a narrow fan club.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Your argument in favor of Fujifilm moving to Bayer sensors rests upon the idea that the X-Trans sensors are in some way preventing a lot of uptake of the X system. Where do you get that idea, apart from your own (apparent) personal preference?

Anyone who knows about marketing will tell you that the key to increasing sales is to have a real point of differentiation, and then sell its advantages. That's what Fujifilm is doing and it seems to working.

Your idea of them moving closer to being the same as all the other manufacturers makes no sense in marketing terms unless the X-Trans sensor is genuinely unpopular - and I am aware of no research to show that. If you have some I'd love to see it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,735Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to AngryCorgi, Sep 7, 2013

*What* group of people? And who are these 'lots of people who are unhappy with the X-Trans'?

I see *you* posting all over DPReview about it, and couple of others trollling about it, but that is pretty much it. The vast majority of people seem to be pretty happy with it, at least the last few months since the updates to the RAW processors over the last few months.

Honestly, if Fuji changed to the Bayer format, would you even be interested in a whatever-E or -Pro? Personally, I like the image quality of the Fuji X-system cameras, but I got mine because of the controls and lenses. I guess we'll see how the Bayer sensor compares, when images from the A1 hit the net, but my guess is they will be no better, and most likely worse.

I don't think the A1 is a way for Fuji to quietly abandon the X-Trans, more likely it is a lower-quality sensor, but time will tell. As long as the low-light performance and image quality is at least as good as my X-E1 when I get ready to update, I personally don't really care *what* the sensor is. And I have no interest in the PASM cameras with control knobs and no viewfinders. Hopefully, lots of other people do and buy the daylights out of the M1 and A1 and the XC lenses, 'cause I think Fuji is making negative money on the X1 and Pro and XF lens.

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,735Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Aethon, Sep 7, 2013

To me, even with a Bayer sensor, the upper-end of the X range is better than say, the NEX system, which would be kind of the equivalent (I don't know anything about the other APS-C mirrorless lines). The level of immediate controls and the lens system would be enough to do it for me, as long as they kept good low-light performance (though I guess at least initially, Fuji was selling the X-Trans as being the reason for good low-light performance, and overstating things by a full stop).

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
extraeee
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to Elliot H, Sep 7, 2013

Elliot H wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

So it's essentially an x-m1 without the x-trans headaches and cheaper too.

what "x-trans headaches" are you referring to?

thank you

also interested to know.

 extraeee's gear list:extraeee's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mechx1009
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Re: Fuji X-A1
In reply to extraeee, Sep 7, 2013

extraeee wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

So it's essentially an x-m1 without the x-trans headaches and cheaper too.

what "x-trans headaches" are you referring to?

thank you

also interested to know.

Yea, me too. First I've heard of any "headaches"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads