Coolpix P7800 loses a dial...

Started Sep 5, 2013 | Discussions
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,927Gear list
Like?
Re: SortOnSense, is now on my ignore list.
In reply to Grobb, Sep 20, 2013

tron555 wrote:

He just does not understand my point for some reason, as easy as it is to understand. Anyone can buy the best gear in the world (if their budget allows), that does not guarantee they will or are able to learn how to use it as is obvious from his images posted and gallery.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52172878 (missed the focus point completely)

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52179104?image=1 (used way to narrow DOF!)

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Well, that was easy.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R Johns
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804
Like?
In reply to Grobb, Sep 22, 2013

tron555 wrote:

He just does not understand my point for some reason, as easy as it is to understand. Anyone can buy the best gear in the world (if their budget allows), that does not guarantee they will or are able to learn how to use it as is obvious from his images posted and gallery.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52172878 (missed the focus point completely)

-- hide signature --

Oh my...Aren't we full of ourselves...

How shameful...

What does this post have to do with the original intent of this thread, anyway?

Regards,

Russ

-- hide signature --

~ Greater is He that is within me, than he who is in this world... ~

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to R Johns, Sep 22, 2013

R Johns wrote:

tron555 wrote:

-- hide signature --

How shameful...

Regards,

Russ

-- hide signature --

Russ, he's been trolling the Nikon boards for some time and pops up whenever a new threat to his Canon appears. Then, for a couple of weeks, he repeats the same critical observations in multiple threads until he tires.

He'll soon return upon the announcement of the P7900 and maybe to attack the P7800 whenever it's tested.

Meanwhile...I feel terrible about my missed focus point and (gulp) shallow DOF choice!

Cheers,

Robert

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
skiphunt13
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478
Like?
Re: Coolpix P7800 loses a dial...
In reply to Grobb, Sep 22, 2013

tron555 wrote:

skiphunt13 wrote:

I paid $350 delivered for my p7700 that I'm still quite happy with. I can take or leave either the quick dial or view finder. So, if price is equal.. I might lean toward the 7800. But if I'm saving at least $50 or more with the p7700, I think it'd still be my choice.
--
Skip Hunt

A hypothetical question for you. If the P7800 came with a more efficient sensor, as they did in the D5200 say in the 70-75 range, would you have payed $50-100 more?

(example below):

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/850|0/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28appareil2%29/825|0/%28brand2%29/Nikon

If a sensor the size of the D5200 could have that efficiency, is it not possible to make a 1/1.7" sensor with the same efficiency? If not why are no companies doing it? I would pay their asking price to have MUCHbetter IQ, DR, and lower light performance if they could/would do that!!! At this time, their are no cameras with a 1/1.7" sensor that I'm interested in upgrading my G12. Now, if/when maybe a 2/3" sensor P&S is made with similar sensor technology/efficiency similar to the D5200, I will be the first in line. If not, I may need to go to MFT format to get the IQ I'm looking for

-- hide signature --

Yes, if the 7800 had a sensor that approaching the sensitivity of the 5200 (along with the view finder), I'd easily pay $50-$100 more for that. As is stands, I'm happy to keep shooting with the P7700 having paid $150 less. The viewfinder alone simply isn't that important to me for my use.

Nukunukoo
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Sep 26, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

R Johns wrote:

tron555 wrote:

-- hide signature --

How shameful...

Regards,

Russ

-- hide signature --

Russ, he's been trolling the Nikon boards for some time and pops up whenever a new threat to his Canon appears. Then, for a couple of weeks, he repeats the same critical observations in multiple threads until he tires.

He'll soon return upon the announcement of the P7900 and maybe to attack the P7800 whenever it's tested.

Meanwhile...I feel terrible about my missed focus point and (gulp) shallow DOF choice!

Cheers,

Robert

Missed focus point and too narrow DOF? I find them quite amazing that you were able to get those aperture compositions quite well. Don't worry about him, he really has no idea what he is talking about. He's been doing that everywhere and boasts how his flat, resized, full saturated images are the best, bar none. He even thinks that RAW is kinda like JPEG, only named differently! 

Nukunukoo's gear list:Nukunukoo's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300S Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +4 more
Tom May
Senior MemberPosts: 1,676
Like?
In reply to skiphunt13, Sep 26, 2013

I'm upgrading a P7000, have a P7800 on preorder with Amazon, so I have more to gain.

By design I suppose, the P7xxx series leads many to the purchase of the D3xxx and D5xxx dslr's by virtue of pricing and sharing of battery and Speedlights. I surely considered that when I purchased the D3200.

My gripe as it were with Nikon is that the Nikon 1 series V models (I have the V1) have yet to fit into that same continuum. Just the mere adaptation of the EN-EL14, Wu-1a WiFi adaptor and standard Speedlights would create an easy transition from the P7xxx, or from the D3xxx D5xxx dslr models with the addition of Ft-1 lens adaptor. Carrying over the control layout of the P7xxx would go a long way to easing the transition to the V series as well.

Ideally, the similar control layouts of the Pxxx, D3xxx, D5xxx, V series and some future fixed lens Pxxx/V 1 inch hybrid would be a large enough ecosystem to increase the "stickiness" of buyer retention and lead to more upscale Dslr and MILC purchase downstream for Nikon.

Tom May

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Tom May, Sep 26, 2013

Tom May wrote:

I'm upgrading a P7000, have a P7800 on preorder with Amazon, so I have more to gain.

By design I suppose, the P7xxx series leads many to the purchase of the D3xxx and D5xxx dslr's by virtue of pricing and sharing of battery and Speedlights. I surely considered that when I purchased the D3200.

My gripe as it were with Nikon is that the Nikon 1 series V models (I have the V1) have yet to fit into that same continuum. Just the mere adaptation of the EN-EL14, Wu-1a WiFi adaptor and standard Speedlights would create an easy transition from the P7xxx, or from the D3xxx D5xxx dslr models with the addition of Ft-1 lens adaptor. Carrying over the control layout of the P7xxx would go a long way to easing the transition to the V series as well.

Ideally, the similar control layouts of the Pxxx, D3xxx, D5xxx, V series and some future fixed lens Pxxx/V 1 inch hybrid would be a large enough ecosystem to increase the "stickiness" of buyer retention and lead to more upscale Dslr and MILC purchase downstream for Nikon.

Tom May

Now that we know the Nikon viewfinder INCLUDES the on-screen info/settings AND we also have the articulated LCD, we now have a camera that bests the Canon in pretty much every respect important to a photographer.

I'm betting the G16 will still be quicker, but neither is fast by any wild stretch. With the P7700 Nikon pulled even and with the P7800 they are now ahead. I'm sure the P7900 and G17 models will be upgrade worth for more recent buyers!

Robert

Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nukunukoo, 11 months ago

Nukunukoo wrote:

Missed focus point and too narrow DOF? I find them quite amazing that you were able to get those aperture compositions quite well. Don't worry about him, he really has no idea what he is talking about. He's been doing that everywhere and boasts how his flat, resized, full saturated images are the best, bar none. He even thinks that RAW is kinda like JPEG, only named differently!

Do you own either the P7700 or P7800, or do you just chime in to give you 2 cents? If yes, how does it stack up to your Fujifilm X20 regarding IQ? If no, was your comments just an attack on me?

I would compare my images to yours, but for some reason, you don't have a gallery. Some of my images were converted RAW to JPEG and I use RAW only when necessary.

PS, I would rather have "flat images" as opposed to miss focused shots or only have 5% of an image in focus, especially in portraits

-- hide signature --

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Grobb, 11 months ago

tron555 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

Do you own either the P7700 or P7800, or do you just chime in to give you 2 cents? If yes, how does it stack up to your Fujifilm X20 regarding IQ? If no, was your comments just an attack on me?

I would compare my images to yours, but for some reason, you don't have a gallery. Some of my images were converted RAW to JPEG and I use RAW only when necessary.

PS, I would rather have "flat images" as opposed to miss focused shots or only have 5% of an image in focus, especially in portraits

-- hide signature --

Since you seem to be a troll, I don't know if I'm wasting time or not. But some of us are paid for what we do. And others have tastes and requirements that are not shared with you. And it may shock you but a good section of the public is educated about photography. They may not own 20K worth of gear, but they know what they want and will ask for it.

So when a father asks for a certain kind of shot, be it soft shallow DOF or a tack-sharp video image, that's what he gets.

Your opinion is not a factor. And your statement about DOF is all about YOUR taste and has nothing to do with photography. Shallow DOF in portraiture is a common technique. I like it. Some folks don't. Clients often ask for it often. More samples....

With that said, your view and statements on this are amateur by the limitations. If you're serious about photography forget the gear and pick up some good books on the subject.

From looking at YOUR gallery I think most can tell where you stand so far as a skill-set goes. That's not an insult. It's a simple statement that can apply to anyone and even after 30 years of shooting, from large format to digital, I still read about photography and re-examine the basics.

I'll be 100% honest with you.

Your posts read like someone who owns a camera (the Canon G12 I believe) and is far two wrapped up in the minutia of how it stacks up against the latest & greatest gear. You need to forget that, fun factor aside, and focus on shooting. The differences between most cameras are tiny. The differences between the people who operate them are HUGE.

Cheers,

Robert

Holmes375
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,240Gear list
Like?

tron555 wrote:

....PS, I would rather have "flat images" as opposed to miss focused shots or only have 5% of an image in focus, especially in portraits

I believe you have succeeded.

-- hide signature --
Nukunukoo
Like?

tron555 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

-- hide signature --

No. You don't use RAW. I do. And I have more than 60 images posted on the Fuji and Nikon sites. I own a street X20, a Nikon D600, D300S and a D7100. IQ is nothing if your compositions are bad. I do not compare cameras, one can do a great shot with an old camera phone as well as a DSLR without anyone knowing the difference.

You are like a person saying "I just bought a Mac, I can now do better graphics than you!"

I demonstrated many times around these forums how RAW can be used to your advantage, especially since I do post-processing for clients for a living. You specifically trolled that you NEVER and HATED RAW and you even posted MANY times how insignificant RAW processing is because "life is too short"

A gallery does not a comparison make. You KNOW where to look. Or is life "just too short"?

"PS, I would rather have "flat images" as opposed to miss focused shots or only have 5% of an image in focus, especially in portraits ;-)"

I have seen your skill based on your pictures. Unlike you, I will not throw insults (your usual MO), I will say this: Life is too short for a narrow vista, expand it. There is a bigger world beyond that bubble.

Fujifilm X20 Nikon D300S Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +4 more
Nukunukoo
Like?

tron555 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

-- hide signature --

And here's one horribly bad picture base on your standards: (1) So many blurred parts! (2) It's all so brownish, where are the vibrant, strong, contrasty rainbow colors? (3) the subject is hideously out of place!

And no, I don't do galleries. That does not prove anything. And can you guess what camera I used?

You did this kind of critique before. In fact, with even worse adjectives... remember the stormy landscape shot with the X20 (photo below)? I tested it wondering how useable ISO 2000 would look? that thread is now closed due to, um, "overtrolling". You called it the most horrible, muddiest, lifeless photo ever. That gave me an general idea of how you view photographs. In fact, you even missed the context that it was taken under extreme settings (for a small sensor) to test the new acquisition at the time. I also did several reviews and tests later showing the "green artefacting" phenomenon on the X20. I may not do galleries, but I believe I have contributed many objective and subjective materials that are actually useful (I hope) to some.

I guess guys like you like to boast on equipment much. And me? I enjoy sharing the results.

Shotcents
Like?

Nukunukoo wrote:

tron555 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

-- hide signature --

And here's one horribly bad picture base on your standards: (1) So many blurred parts! (2) It's all so brownish, where are the vibrant, strong, contrasty rainbow colors? (3) the subject is hideously out of place!

And no, I don't do galleries. That does not prove anything. And can you guess what camera I used?

You did this kind of critique before. In fact, with even worse adjectives... remember the stormy landscape shot with the X20 (photo below)? I tested it wondering how useable ISO 2000 would look? that thread is now closed due to, um, "overtrolling". You called it the most horrible, muddiest, lifeless photo ever. That gave me an general idea of how you view photographs. In fact, you even missed the context that it was taken under extreme settings (for a small sensor) to test the new acquisition at the time. I also did several reviews and tests later showing the "green artefacting" phenomenon on the X20. I may not do galleries, but I believe I have contributed many objective and subjective materials that are actually useful (I hope) to some.

I guess guys like you like to boast on equipment much. And me? I enjoy sharing the results.

I think you're wasting time with this fellow. Just a gear-head troll who's insecure about his G12. Note that he rarely answers and certainly doesn't make much sense. He's probably out delivering newspapers as I type.

Cheers,

Robert

Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
ShortOnSense, is now on my ignore list.

Nukunukoo wrote:

Galleries DO prove things, don't all professional photographers/artists have galleries? Of course they do, to show their skills. That was a ridiculous and untrue statement that makes no sense.

This picture could have been taken by just about anyone with just about any camera with a fast lens, so, what is your point? Nothing special about it.

You did this kind of critique before. In fact, with even worse adjectives... remember the stormy landscape shot with the X20 (photo below)? *snip* You called it the most horrible, muddiest, lifeless photo ever. *snip*

I still feel the same about the photo below now as I did then. Nothing special about it, glad YOU like it so much. I can see now why you do not wish to display a gallery, probably a good decision on your part

-- hide signature --

Nukunukoo
Like?
Re: ShortOnSense, is now on my ignore list.

tron555 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

Galleries DO prove things, don't all professional photographers/artists have galleries? Of course they do, to show their skills. That was a ridiculous and untrue statement that makes no sense.

This picture could have been taken by just about anyone with just about any camera with a fast lens, so, what is your point? Nothing special about it.

You did this kind of critique before. In fact, with even worse adjectives... remember the stormy landscape shot with the X20 (photo below)? *snip* You called it the most horrible, muddiest, lifeless photo ever. *snip*

I still feel the same about the photo below now as I did then. Nothing special about it, glad YOU like it so much. I can see now why you do not wish to display a gallery, probably a good decision on your part

-- hide signature --

LOL! I rest my case...

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,537
Like?

Nukunukoo wrote:

tron555 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

-- hide signature --

No. You don't use RAW. I do. And I have more than 60 images posted on the Fuji and Nikon sites. I own a street X20, a Nikon D600, D300S and a D7100. IQ is nothing if your compositions are bad. I do not compare cameras, one can do a great shot with an old camera phone as well as a DSLR without anyone knowing the difference.

You are like a person saying "I just bought a Mac, I can now do better graphics than you!"

I demonstrated many times around these forums how RAW can be used to your advantage, especially since I do post-processing for clients for a living. You specifically trolled that you NEVER and HATED RAW and you even posted MANY times how insignificant RAW processing is because "life is too short"

A gallery does not a comparison make. You KNOW where to look. Or is life "just too short"?

"PS, I would rather have "flat images" as opposed to miss focused shots or only have 5% of an image in focus, especially in portraits ;-)"

I have seen your skill based on your pictures. Unlike you, I will not throw insults (your usual MO), I will say this: Life is too short for a narrow vista, expand it. There is a bigger world beyond that bubble.

So why do you own all those cameras if one can "do a great shot with an old camera phone"?

Nukunukoo
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 11 months ago

toomanycanons wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

tron555 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

-- hide signature --

So why do you own all those cameras if one can "do a great shot with an old camera phone"?

Did you miss the part that says "IQ is nothing if your composition is bad?" You cannot argue the subject of Image Quality by following just one aspect of photography. the camera is just one of those aspect.

Shotcents
Like?
Re: Forget him

He can't read my post as I'm on his ignore list, so I'll speak freely.

The man has no knowledge unless he's hiding his "good" snaps somewhere. He's yelping about a fairly inexpensive set of cameras and talking about DOF and focus points like teenager with his first D40.

Let him carry on and don't worry about it. There are tons of gear-heads out there and they have their ego wrapped up in their lenses, probably because they can't afford a nice car or boat...like me!

At least I know when to be shallow and where to apply ultra silly behavior; it sure won't be over a 500 dollar camera! As you can see by his comments he's ULTRA insecure.

Let him spin and happy shooting. This guy was yelling about DOF....

Robert

Nukunukoo
Like?
Re: Forget him
In reply to Shotcents, 11 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

He can't read my post as I'm on his ignore list, so I'll speak freely.

The man has no knowledge unless he's hiding his "good" snaps somewhere. He's yelping about a fairly inexpensive set of cameras and talking about DOF and focus points like teenager with his first D40.

Let him carry on and don't worry about it. There are tons of gear-heads out there and they have their ego wrapped up in their lenses, probably because they can't afford a nice car or boat...like me!

At least I know when to be shallow and where to apply ultra silly behavior; it sure won't be over a 500 dollar camera! As you can see by his comments he's ULTRA insecure.

Let him spin and happy shooting. This guy was yelling about DOF....

Robert

I know. that's why I let the childkid be.

Nukunukoo
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 11 months ago

toomanycanons wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

tron555 wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

-- hide signature --

Oh, and FYI, we also do events. You can never have too many cams. Still debating though on using a 70D, 5DIII or BMPC for our next Video Rig. Currently using the 600D.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads