Sony releases camera remote API

Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions
TommieH Regular Member • Posts: 311
Sony releases camera remote API

Good news everyone!

Sony has now released a "Camera Remote API" for creating apps for smartphones and tablets that will be able to interact with Sonys WIFI-enabled cameras. There is a sample app for Android available.

Read more
Start: http://camera.developer.sony.com/
Developer program: http://camera.developer.sony.com/pages/develop/grid/
Download API reference (PDF) + Sample APP: Download CameraRemoteAPI.zip

...so who's the first one to fix a good HDR app?

-- hide signature --

Tommie

-Teo- Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Sony releases camera remote API

Wow, I was just searching a feedback area in Sony site to ask for a SDK for Sony cameras and now I see you post

Now I hope to see soon an alternative to PlayMemories Mobile.

-Teo-'s gear list:-Teo-'s gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
shaolin95
shaolin95 Senior Member • Posts: 1,889

Now this is awesome news to me!

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2650 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony a7R II Sony a6000 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +17 more
cwinte Regular Member • Posts: 385

hey great news. Well spotted TH and congrats to Sony for a smart move, I have downloaded out of interest although I am unlikely to have time to do anything it will be useful to see what bits are in the box - and what they might be able to make.

Let the creative juices flow...

-- hide signature --

NEX 7, 6, OSS SEL18200, kit1855, 16mm & 12mmUWA, Sigma30 plus various manual glass, RX100 on hand.

cwinte's gear list:cwinte's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
PLEASE PLEASE let us be able to define custom groups of settings via API

p32 of the API-Reference mentions that camera responses may change as a result of user interaction. That is a great possibility, having hands on control AND an app doing its work at the same time. I'm kind of surprised as the CameraRemote server must be running on the camera but if it is open to all the buttons etc that is useful. Could even repurpose buttons by seeing a setting change (due to the settings you have on cam) and then app changes that first setting back and sets what you REALLY want....

Could even develop some sets of user standard settings - my video settings 1, my night people stills, etc etc Might be really easy to do! C'mon tech folk - please make our day!

-- hide signature --

NEX 7, 6, OSS SEL18200, kit1855, 16mm & 12mmUWA, Sigma30 plus various manual glass, RX100 on hand.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
Re: PLEASE PLEASE let us be able to define custom groups of settings via API

This API has nowhere near the level of detailed access, we do have video, we do have zoom control (optical and clear zoom etc) but no access to setup menus etc... YET

Dear Sony - please just plug in access to the storage behind menus. I know it may need checking for valid values but indicating a choice number is pretty easy and SO needed.

A neat way to interact with control dials and buttons will be powerful too...

Maybe a save-all on start of CameraRemote and restore-all to prior state on exit from Camera Remote is a good thing - or at least a good default.

-- hide signature --

OP TommieH Regular Member • Posts: 311

Maybe you should say that here? https://camera.developer.sony.com/common/forum/en/viewforum.php?f=19

-- hide signature --

Tommie

TommieH wrote:

Maybe you should say that here? https://camera.developer.sony.com/common/forum/en/viewforum.php?f=19

Maybe you are right, means I have to sign up etc first so I took a "someone else" attitude!

But we need to show Sony-folk that we love them for doing this and have ideas that may need them to go further with a good start.

-- hide signature --

bolish New Member • Posts: 8

No huge added value post but only want to say that is a great news!
I have unfortunatly no development skills but I can imagine how great apps could comes out!
So excited to see what will happens, hoping for so much applications that could fit to my/our needs....

-- hide signature --

Nex 6 - SEL1650

bolish's gear list:bolish's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Karsten Meyer
Karsten Meyer Contributing Member • Posts: 806

Great news!

But just to make clear: This is only for making remote apps - which run on Android or maybe on an iphone. This is not for making apps running on the camera!

-- hide signature --

--> See my photos on http://gplus.to/KarstenMeyer

Karsten Meyer wrote:

Great news!

But just to make clear: This is only for making remote apps - which run on Android or maybe on an iphone. This is not for making apps running on the camera!

Yeah, it's a shame they can't release the cameras SDK. Would be great to be able to have custom firmware.

-- hide signature --

Tommie

Piafinho Forum Member • Posts: 71

cwinte wrote:

This API has nowhere near the level of detailed access, we do have video, we do have zoom control (optical and clear zoom etc) but no access to setup menus etc... YET

Dear Sony - please just plug in access to the storage behind menus. I know it may need checking for valid values but indicating a choice number is pretty easy and SO needed.

Maybe a save-all on start of CameraRemote and restore-all to prior state on exit from Camera Remote is a good thing - or at least a good default.

I would be VERY happy if they expose the API already used by other tools (Remote Control, Bracket Pro, ...)

Waiting for access for the following EXISTING methods:

setStillQuality

setStillFormat

setSteadyMode

setExposureCompensation (This one is available via the Remote Controll App)

If they give access to the above ones allowing me to use RAW via my app, then I can promise there will be a brand new bracket App with 3, 5, 7 pictures

Piafinho's gear list:Piafinho's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
pede59 Senior Member • Posts: 1,561

TommieH wrote:

Good news everyone!

Sony has now released a "Camera Remote API" for creating apps for smartphones and tablets that will be able to interact with Sonys WIFI-enabled cameras. There is a sample app for Android available.

Read more
Start: http://camera.developer.sony.com/Developer program: http://camera.developer.sony.com/pages/develop/grid/Download API reference (PDF) + Sample APP: Download CameraRemoteAPI.zip

...so who's the first one to fix a good HDR app?

Actually that makes more sense to me than the QX cams.

NexOffender Regular Member • Posts: 328

It's probably only because of the QX cams that they are releasing this. Hopefully they will also improve their own remote app.

NexOffender's gear list:NexOffender's gear list
Pentax Efina
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,997
This is good news

Hopefully a number of app developers will jump on this and produce a good remote control app.

One glaring omission I see, from a quick perusal of the APIs, is no access to camera menus.

It would be nice if a remote control app could also allow full access to camera menus.

This also begs the question, why has Sony not made a better remote control app than that totally useless app they have?

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more

Piafinho wrote:

cwinte wrote:

I would be VERY happy if they expose the API already used by other tools (Remote Control, Bracket Pro, ...)

Waiting for access for the following EXISTING methods:

setStillQuality

setStillFormat

setSteadyMode

setExposureCompensation (This one is available via the Remote Controll App)

If they give access to the above ones allowing me to use RAW via my app, then I can promise there will be a brand new bracket App with 3, 5, 7 pictures

A user at EOSHD posted that the new Playmemories camera app now has these methods:

getAvailableFNumber, getSupportedFNumber, setShutterSpeed, getShutterSpeed, getAvailableShutterSpeed, getSupportedShutterSpeed, setIsoNumber, getIsoNumber, getAvailableIsoNumber, getSupportedIsoNumber, setExposureMode, getExposureMode, getAvailableExposureMode, getSupportedExposureMode, setWhiteBalance, getWhiteBalance, getAvailableWhiteBalance, getSupportedWhiteBalance, setCreativeStyle, getCreativeStyle, getAvailableCreativeStyle, getSupportedCreativeStyle, setPictureEffect, getPictureEffect, getAvailablePictureEffect, getSupportedPictureEffect, setLiveviewSize, getLiveviewSize, getAvailableLiveviewSize, getSupportedLiveviewSize, setPostviewImageSize, getPostviewImageSize, getAvailablePostviewImageSize, getSupportedPostviewImageSize, setProgramShift, getSupportedProgramShift, setAELock, getAELock, getAvailableAELock, getSupportedAELock, setBracketShootMode, getBracketShootMode, getAvailableBracketShootMode, getSupportedBracketShootMode, setExposureCompensation, getExposureCompensation, getAvailableExposureCompensation, getSupportedExposureCompensation, setSelfTimer, getSelfTimer, getAvailableSelfTimer, getSupportedSelfTimer, setShootMode, getShootMode, getSupportedShootMode, getAvailableShootMode, setStillSize, getStillSize, getSupportedStillSize, getAvailableStillSize, setCameraFunction, getCameraFunction, getSupportedCameraFunction, getAvailableCameraFunction, setBeepMode, getBeepMode, getSupportedBeepMode, getAvailableBeepMode, actTakePictureByTouch, actTakePicture, awaitTakePicture, startMovieRec, stopMovieRec, startIntervalStillRec, stopIntervalStillRec, getApplicationInfo, getAvailableApiList, getMethodTypes, getServiceProtocols, getVersions, getStorageInformation, startLiveview, startLiveviewWithSize, stopLiveview, startRecMode, stopRecMode, receiveEvent, getEvent, actZoom, actFormatStorage, setCurrentTime, actEnableMethods

No quality or format though, but i wonder what getSupportedCameraFuntion does on a NEX 6/5R/5T

-- hide signature --

Tommie

-Teo- Junior Member • Posts: 46

I’ve jut wrote this post on developers forum.

What about writing here http://camera-remote-api.idea.informer.com a features wish list?

-Teo-'s gear list:-Teo-'s gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
lucadita New Member • Posts: 10

In the second picture there is on the left a child's Head. I think that in Ai+ mode the camera try to extend the DOF and so the camera put an apertur of f/4. IN the first picture instead the head is quite invisible so the camera tried to use low iso putting  f/2.8 as aperture...

-Teo- wrote:

I’ve jut wrote this post on developers forum.

What about writing here http://camera-remote-api.idea.informer.com a features wish list?

Nice, but...

It is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH... better to write stuff where Sony representatives actually will read. The problem with them is that they hardly responds at all so from that to getting them to read at external sites is quite the stretch in my opinion.

They've also taken the time to actually create their own forums for requests/talk so why not just use that and use it good with posts that tries to explain things in greater details with images (if needed) etc?

-- hide signature --

Tommie

cwinte wrote:

TommieH wrote:

Maybe you are right, means I have to sign up etc first so I took a "someone else" attitude!

But we need to show Sony-folk that we love them for doing this and have ideas that may need them to go further with a good start.

I did post on the Sony site (I was first, yay!) and they have answered in positive terms:

by developer_support_1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:30 am

Thank you for your comment.

As you mentioned, the status of camera will be noticed as written in API specification.

We are investigating about new APIs.
If there are specific APIs that many people want for their application development, that information will be considered in the investigation.

SO, up to us to let them know what we want, by posting on the sony developer site. Teo has a post on this topic there so let us start there until Sony make a specific ideas area/subforum:

https://camera.developer.sony.com/common/forum/en/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119&sid=e1c56ba6a0568818aca73c5e1a34f93f

I must look into this "new playmemories app" mentioned by earlier TommieH post at EOSHD. Where is it, what does it offer or is this just on the newest Sony camera (there is a non-NEX video cam that supports the API with its latest firmware)

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads