Picassa Comprimised, Flickr Sucks

Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions
tjdean01
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?
Picassa Comprimised, Flickr Sucks
Sep 4, 2013

I hate Flickr because it's so slow and takes so long to load the thumbnail page plus I hate how the photo opens in the same window.  It's as if they designed it for tablets and smartphones.  Old Flickr was much better.

I'm upgrading to something better than Flickr, and I automatically think Picassa because I have it with my Gmail account anyway.  HOWEVER, all of the images I've ever uploaded to Blogger are in there automatically.  So, when I tell someone to look at my photos on Picassa, which I plan to leave open to the public, I don't want them to be able to view what I have in my blogs.  Similarly, I don't want readers of my blogs to view my photography sets/folders.  And yes, if I delete the images from Picassa they will be removed from my blogs.

Soooo, I need a third-choice.  Any ideas?  What I need:

Free
A gig or so of storage
Ability to download at least 1600x1200
Ability to SHOW screensize images during browsing
Sets/folders like on Flickr and Picassa
Fast like Picassa

Thanks!

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,336
Like?
Re: Picassa Comprimised, Flickr Sucks
In reply to tjdean01, Sep 5, 2013

Personally, I like Flickr, but have you considered the subscription services like Smugmug and Zenfolio?

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed Gaillard
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?

Well, you could continue to use Flickr  and look at your stuff with fluidr or flickriver, if you like how they look.  Of course, people would still be able to look at your stuff using the terrible new flickr interface, so that wasn't a solution for me.

You could set up a second google account just for your picasa use.

500px I think has a free tier; trovebox.com has a free tier, I think, and I like that it's open-source but  but I don't like the way the site looks.

Other then that, I'm out of ideas for free sites.  I eventually decided to pay for Zenfolio to get away from Flickr.  Smugmug is good too, if you don't mind paying.  It's not a huge amount of money.

-- hide signature --
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,642Gear list
Like?
Re: +1 for 500px
In reply to Ed Gaillard, Sep 5, 2013

I think on the community level, they have a bit of a penchant for overcooking, but it's a nice place to put your best photos.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,161
Like?

tjdean01 wrote:

I hate Flickr because it's so slow and takes so long to load the thumbnail page plus I hate how the photo opens in the same window. It's as if they designed it for tablets and smartphones. Old Flickr was much better.

I'm upgrading to something better than Flickr, and I automatically think Picassa because I have it with my Gmail account anyway. HOWEVER, all of the images I've ever uploaded to Blogger are in there automatically. So, when I tell someone to look at my photos on Picassa, which I plan to leave open to the public, I don't want them to be able to view what I have in my blogs. Similarly, I don't want readers of my blogs to view my photography sets/folders. And yes, if I delete the images from Picassa they will be removed from my blogs.

Soooo, I need a third-choice. Any ideas? What I need:

Free
A gig or so of storage
Ability to download at least 1600x1200
Ability to SHOW screensize images during browsing
Sets/folders like on Flickr and Picassa
Fast like Picassa

Thanks!

Everyone is different but I feel the same as you. I don't care for the new Flicker and don't even like to go there and view other people's pictures.

seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
It is Picasa, not Picassa
-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,336
Like?
Good luck on getting people to spell it properly!
In reply to seilerbird666, Sep 5, 2013

I've even given up on people understanding the difference between "Lose" and "Loose".

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
Re: Good luck on getting people to spell it properly!
In reply to Glen Barrington, Sep 5, 2013

Glen Barrington wrote:

I've even given up on people understanding the difference between "Lose" and "Loose".

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

Or its and it's...

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
KarriSheone
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?

A good site you might want to check out is National Geographic's YourShot. I've been a member with them for  almost a couple of years now and it's got a good community involved in it. Last spring they did a major upgrade to the site so the image quality is greatly improved. It's free, but they only allow an upload of 15 shots per week though and each must be at least 1600 long on the shortest side. As YourShot is my main photography site, I'm not knowledgeable enough to compare it to Flickr or Picassa in terms of everything you need, but it never hurts to go see what it's about. You might like it... or not. 

KarriSheone's gear list:KarriSheone's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
tjdean01
Like?
Solved!!
In reply to tjdean01, Sep 14, 2013

The best solution of the above is Flickr Mobile! Doesn't bog the computer down & loads fast even on my phone or slow work computer. I don't know why so many people are making their sites so resource-consuming these days

weezy
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
Re: Solved!!
In reply to tjdean01, Sep 14, 2013

I can understand what the OP is griping about. If you have an Android phone and pics on Picasa, you can't get the thumbnails off the phone and the minute you sync, they are right back. I belong to a couple of Android forums and that is a major complaint.

You cannot delete only one part of Google. I did have Blogger, and used Picasa at one time, have deleted everything from both, but can only delete main account. Since I do have the phone and all the purchased apps are there, I am loath to do that.

The revisions to Yahoo are pretty much doing the same thing. I belonged to a couple of Flickr groups, left the damn groups about 5 times and still get spam from them. You used to have to log into Flickr independently, now you can do it from the Mail page. The only ones I can unjoin separately is groups, and those are the ones I use most. Yahoo mail is given out to those I think might spam.

Like the OP, I don't want to put all eggs in one basket. I also don't need a printed photo book, don't want to sell any pictures, don't care what anyone thinks about the quality, all I really need is a place to store some just for a link to some fora.

If 500PX does this, I might try it.

tjdean01
Like?
Not Solved After All
In reply to tjdean01, Sep 17, 2013

Well, the mobile site for Flickr is definitely faster and easier to maneuver but the problem is that they only show you a very low resolution image while browsing.  And the normal site is still as slow thus horrible as ever.  Ugh.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,458Gear list
Like?
Re: Not Solved After All
In reply to tjdean01, Sep 17, 2013

tjdean01 wrote:

Well, the mobile site for Flickr is definitely faster and easier to maneuver but the problem is that they only show you a very low resolution image while browsing. And the normal site is still as slow thus horrible as ever. Ugh.

NOrmal site isn't slow for me.  Is your computer slow?

Honestly, though, you can't be so picky when you want free.   Flickr works, Photobucket works, Picasa works, Windows Sky Drive works.  They all have little quirks, but they are free.

I think what you want is a pbase or zenfolio account, but of course you probably will complain they cost money.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads