What was your first digital camera?

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions
Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,321Gear list
Like?
Re: What was your first digital camera?
In reply to DHedgehog, Sep 4, 2013

HP C200.  I donated it to a photography class years ago.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
contadorfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
Kodak DX7630

Back in 2005.

The Kodak DX7630 -- what a wonderful camera! It was the first camera I'd ever owned, having been content with disposables during the hectic child-rearing, career-building years. But with a full time job (and 3 kids still), I never learned what all the bells & whistles were for or what PASM was all about. The little flower symbol? I thought that was Flower mode, for shooting pictures of gardens! After a year and a half, I discovered the zoom lever. For someone who didn't know squat about photography, that Kodak camera sure made beautiful photos.

My son lost it on a trip to France. Then I realized how much I loved having a camera and couldn't live without one. When I bought a replacement, I vowed to learn something about photography in order to get the most out of the camera.

That was 3 years and eight cameras ago.

Schneider-Kreuznach, f2.8

I used SCN mode and could turn the flash off or on.

Here's a gushing review of the DX7630. The author drooled over the huge 2.2 inch LCD screen & Kodak's amazing EasyShare app, but wondered who in heck needs 6 mps. As ever (& will be for the rest of our lives?): "pictures are noisy at high ISOs."

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx7630-review/

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Adsum
Regular MemberPosts: 190
Like?

A friends wife worked in a wholesale warehouse. They were selling very basic digital camera's. One MP, no controls, no memory, if you switched the camera off you lost the pics. They were £5. and I had never seen one before so I bought one. By a sheer chance I went to the Lake district that day and fired off a few shots with little or no expectations. When I came home and looked at the finished result I was hooked. I next bought a second hand Canon Powershot for £30 off ebay.

I moved on up to a Nikon D50 plus lens's, but recently went down if that's the right word to a Panasonic FZ150. For the simple reason that at 70 years old I don't fancy carrying a bag full of equipment around with me.

salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452Gear list
Like?
OLY C2000Z

nice thread

Olympus C2000Z back in 1999 if i remember. Cost me 500 quid in the day 2mp. Lol. loved it to bits.

Now for 500 quid you can get a good APSC DSLR and maybe some extra lenses

Funnily enough, virtually all the cameras i have bought since have hovered around that price; each one being a leap ahead in quality, not surprisingly.

Our lot in the late 90's taken with the OLY.

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,072
Like?
Canon PowerShot S10
In reply to salla30, Sep 4, 2013

My first digital camera was the Canon Powershot S 10 when they were reduced at the Ritz Camera store. It was only a 2 MP camera with a 2x zoom, but I was amazed how good the images came out for a point and shoot. I tried taking a couple of pictures of it, but the aluminum body reflects too much light and the images looked really grainy of it. I remember taking a picture of a semi-submersible oil rig in Galveston Bay that I blew up to about 3 feet by 4 1/2 feet on an Epson Plotter at work and was amazed how good it looked. The image showed zig zags on the diagonal guy wires on the rig because of the low mp.

That's a cat hair on the camera, I had a hard time getting her away from the camera to get the picture.  She must have thought I put it down on the floor to play with.

First digital camera.

Alan Crawshaw
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
In reply to dave, Sep 4, 2013

I had the C1000-L from the same line but only 0.85MP. I passed it on to my son when I upgraded to The C2100UZ in 2000. The C1000-L failed a couple of years later but I still use the UZI.

-- hide signature --

Olympus C2100UZ, Sony A700, A55, A77

tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176Gear list
Like?
Fujifilm_MX700
Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,468Gear list
Like?
Olympus C-400L. It had an OVF!!!!

Still last century!!! 800x600 Px, no card, only internal memory, photos had to be transferred by a proprietary cable to the computer, a Macintosh Power Book 180.

Still have both!  

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
FRANCISCO ARAGAO
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

In 1996 I bought this Panasonic PV-JB1000, no USB connection, only serial port, no optical zoom, no flash. Its fully functional but I wouldnt shoot with it again, the IQ is very bad.

Cam and cradle

DHedgehog wrote:

I started out with a Casio in the early 2000s that my father bought for me. It was cheap and rather nasty, but I remember how much fun it was shooting with that. I don't remember what model it was. I still have some of the pictures, but this was before EXIF, so I don't have the model number. What was your first digital camera, and would you go back and shoot with it again?

This article got me thinking about this: he started with a Casio QV-10: https://medium.com/people-gadgets/c25ab786ce49

FRANCISCO ARAGAO's gear list:FRANCISCO ARAGAO's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Nikon D70

The Nikon D70. It's a wonderful camera, and is now used mostly by my wife. But it still works as well today as it did the day I took it out of the shiny gold box.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Late adopter of digital...

... and started with Sony F828, purchased in December 2003. The camera is still in use.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Spillicus
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
Creative Webcam Go

A Creative Webcam Go.
http://reviews.cnet.com/webcams/creative-webcam-go/4505-6502_7-1446174.html

No LCD, manual focus, AAA batteries, 640x480 resolution.  Basically a webcam that ran off batteries with a shutter button.  ~$125 in 2000.  It sucked, but it was kind of fun.

My next digital camera was a Canon S45 for Christmas 2002.  A great little camera, the image quality was a revelation to me at the time.  I got a great 5 years of use out of it until my brother the marine took it to Afghanistan, never to be seen again.

Spillicus's gear list:Spillicus's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
jomarie
Contributing MemberPosts: 501Gear list
Like?
1999 2 MP Ricoh
In reply to zackiedawg, Sep 4, 2013

I was among the first in our group to have a digital camera. Everyone  was in awe.  I even printed out some decent pictures.

jomarie's gear list:jomarie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,949Gear list
Like?

My wife bought me a tiny Olympus pocket digital camera, the model designation now "disremembered." It was difficult to hold, and I tended to drop it if I was not very careful, though I managed to keep it from being damaged. Holding it steady, to get an image, was an exercise in frustration. The tiny memory card was also quite easy to fumble. This Olympus has largely sat in its case, unused, for years, a definite set-back, which delayed my love of photography for a considerable period of time. I think my siater-in-law now has it, but she prefers a somewhat larger Canon.

My Casio GZone Type V mobile phone performed quite well as a digital camera phone, as does the Casio Boulder. I have yet to enter the "smart" phone era.

My first personal purchase of a dedicated digital camera was a Sony DSC-H20; I handled a display model at a computer store, and liked its ergonomics, compared to the aforementioned Olympus, and my Kyocera T4 film camera. This camera planted the seed for my interest in trying a DSLR. If I recall correctly, this was about 2009.

The digital camera that "clicked" for me, no pun intended, was a Nikon D300s, a camera issued to my wife by her employer. The ergonomics and controls of this camera really started my enthusiasm for photography; before this point, a camera was a peripheral item. I am now, primarily, a DSLR shooter.

I would shoot with my original Sony again. It is not a bad little camera. I am more likely to put a pancake lens on a DSLR, however, when I want to carry a smaller camera.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +26 more
Jan Chelminski
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Olympus E-10, bought new for $1,600.00, I think...

I remember it was a lot of money, but also, that it was a huge bargain compared to the interchangeable lens cameras of the day, a great first digicam.

I still had a big darkroom then, with two enlargers (one with cold head and a great Schneider APO Componon), big sink and archival print wash area, so I was shooting the E-10 alongside my Nikon F5 and Oly OM-4T.

Sure, its got lots of wear, metal showing, but it still works fine! Olympus builds solid cameras, they've never let me down in over 30 years starting with my OM-2 in 1981.

Good times!

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1
aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?
Agfa ePhoto 1280

with all of .7 mp.

Still have some of the pix from it, too. I won it @ MacWorld SF by wearing a ridiculous 'Agfa' hat I made from their signs, back when MacWorld was fun. *sigh*

gerry328
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
Kodak DX3600 (2002-2009)

2.2 MP with MOV video and sound. Nice skin tones, relatively good lowlight IQ with its flash due to low pixel density. Only gave it up when spare parts were no longer available in 2009. Went back to my Nikon FM2n, then bought a Nikon D5000 in 2010.

gerry328's gear list:gerry328's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Kodak EasyShare C310 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Ricoh RDC-2
In reply to DHedgehog, Sep 5, 2013

about .5 MP

hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,455Gear list
Like?

MY first camera I bought an Epson PhotoPC 750, but I returned it because it was defective. I then bought a Canon G1 which I used until I bought my first DSLR.

hjr13's gear list:hjr13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244Gear list
Like?
Sony F717

Loved this camera! Awesome lens, "night vision", and pretty rugged, to boot. Sadly, after 6 years and tens of 1000s of photos, the sensor failed and I was forced to upgrade to an R1.

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads