V1 not the only camera to loose value. NEX 5R lost 1/2 its value in 7 months.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,679
Like?
10 months ago

The value of a camera is how it meets your photography needs not what it costs.

The V1 has a place in my equipment inventory and so does the NEX.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52093396

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100 & Nikon V1

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
Camera Market 2013: Bright Future for System Cameras at least for...
In reply to Jerry R, 10 months ago

A quote from this source they also show at the bottom a photo-gallery of probably the most common 25 system cams !

Camera Market 2013: Bright Future for System Cameras

The German camera market is good since 2013, the first assessment of the Photographic Industry Association. Just the sales figures for system cameras increasing in this country. Internationally, however, looks quite different.

The Photographic Industry Association has issued an initial assessment for the year 2013. Accordingly, the German camera market take a leading position in the European comparison, but the declines in the other European states he could not compensate for.

This sends the advocacy of the photo industry first forecasts for the full year 2013 out: So in this country are about 270,000 mirrorless system cameras to find a new owner. , 2012 There were 200,000 units . In the SLR, the association expects an approach of 1.1 million shares (previous year 1.05 million). The forecasts are anything but positive for the compact market. Here the Photographic Industry Association expects a decline of 23 percent to 4.7 million compact remote. 2012 emigrated after all, still 6.11 million snapping over the counters.

International figures show: Even under pressure system cameras

Internationally the figures are more dramatic. The latest market data of the Japanese Association of interest in the photo industry show that the resident manufacturer from January to June 2013 have shipped nearly 30 million digital cameras. In the same period there were just over 50 million. The decline is not just solely on the account of the compact. The cameras with interchangeable lenses press the numbers.

Thus, the Japanese camera manufacturer from January to June 2013, some 7.5 million have system cameras (with and without a mirror) shipped in the same period last year they came to over 9 million. To Europe about 2 million cameras went away in the first half with interchangeable lenses, in the same period earlier it was almost exactly 3 million devices.

The manufacturers figures show the downward trend in the camera market, which do not stop at the system cameras. According to a new forecast, for example, Nikon will sell in the current fiscal year only about 6.5 million cameras with interchangeable lenses. Last year there were nearly 7 million system cameras (with and without a mirror). The majority of this decline by going back on the Nikon 1 system that the manufacturer now wants to reconsider. And also to Olympus in the first quarter of 2013 models sold considerably less than the PEN series have expected.

-- hide signature --

Valentino

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon97
Senior MemberPosts: 2,341Gear list
Like?
Re: V1 not the only camera to loose value. NEX 5R lost 1/2 its value in 7 months.

So was the Pentax K01. But, hey, it could make some really nice quality images. Mirrorless sales are down across the board. I'd imagine the manufactures with large inventories are going to cut the price deeply to move them out. There is still potential profit by selling lenses to the owners of the cameras.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot A800 Nikon 1 J1
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,102Gear list
Like?
The V1 didn't "lose value"....

...because by virtually unanimous assent it was ridiculously priced to begin with.

It remains a nice little camera that's a good deal at the current low prices.  I have no allegiance nor animosity towards Nikon.  I'm a Sony guy now (A850 and NEX 7), who came from Olympus (a string of nice cameras, ending with a beloved E-3), but who has now bought 2 V1's, one for my daughter last winter for travel abroad, and now another one from the Nikon Store 2 days ago for my wife to replace her Kodak P880 (!  look it up...).  The only thing that gave me pause was lack of an onboard flash, even a weak one.  But in the end it's a nice camera for those two people.  The better options were all too expensive, or lacked a viewfinder, which both of these people needed.  One of the best deals out there right now and back in the winter when the "fire sales" started.

So, it hasn't "lost value" but rather "found its value".  Let Nikon and others take note.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +17 more
Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225Gear list
Like?
Re: The V1 didn't "lose value"....
In reply to tex, 10 months ago

tex wrote:

...because by virtually unanimous assent it was ridiculously priced to begin with.

Unanimous assent by the ignorant masses. The fact is Nikon had no idea how to market the V1 or who to market the V1 to. Consequently only those who recognized and valued high performance in the form of a compact light weight body bought the V1 at full price. To this day there isn't another MILC at any price that can match the performance of the 1 series.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
Jerry R
Like?
Sony is selling it's 1" RX100m2 for $750 & the viewfinder is an additional $450.
In reply to tex, 10 months ago

Sony is selling it's 1" RX100m2 for $750 & the viewfinder is an additional $450. So the V1/V2 were not over priced, just under marketed.

-- hide signature --

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,247Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony is selling it's 1" RX100m2 for $750 & the viewfinder is an additional $450.

All electronic goods depreciate rapidly. Not just cameras.

That is why I never buy new cameras, I always let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Lenses for popular cameras will hold their value much better.

Mind you other manufacturers don't name their cameras after WW2 Nazi weapons!  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-weapons

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Max Elmar
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: V1 not the only camera to loose value. NEX 5R lost 1/2 its value in 7 months.

The only lasting value in any digital camera is in the photos one makes between getting said camera and getting the next one. My 1999 Sony Mavica floppy disk camera was $600 new. (That's ~$816 in current dollars.)It was obsolete in a matter of hours. The camera itself now has no value to any sane person, but the little video I made with it of my son's first steps is priceless. So no loss. It would have been a great camera if it didn't take about 2 seconds to focus... And it held about a dozen 1024x768 photos on the 1.44mb floppy.

SunnyFlorida
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, 10 months ago

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

tex wrote:

Unanimous assent by the ignorant masses.

ahhh, hurling insults at educated consumers who did their comparison shopping and did not pay the inflated price , I guess the professional DPreview writers are also ignorant since they stated in their review

" it's impossible to ignore the fact that at street prices of around $600 and $800, respectively the J1 and V1 are entry-level mirrorless cameras that cost significantly more than several higher-end alternatives."

The fact is Nikon had no idea how to market the V1 or who to market the V1 to.

OK so then Nikon are the ignorant ones, not the consumers,

bought the V1 at full price. To this day there isn't another MILC at any price that can match the performance of the 1 series.

For most people (ignorant users as you call them)The AF focus speed of most mirrorless cameras is just perfect, they don;t need that extra .05 seconds of speed and the AF performance of the 1 series isn't sufficient to overcome its other shortcomings; to quote the "ignorant" reviewers here at DPreview:

" If you want to shoot moving subjects in good light with a small (ish) camera then the J1 and V1 really are the only game in town, at least as far as mirrorless models are concerned. If this sort of photography is not a priority for you, then given the strength of the competition it is very hard to recommend that you go out and buy either of these cameras."

Full review link here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonv1j1/19

Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894Gear list
Like?

My retailer that has bought back all of my Sony NEX lenses, but refused the NEX-5N! Deemed unsellable!!! The K-5 got me more than its retail price is now, and some of the Pentax lenses even got me more money than I paid for them, as did the grip! But the NEX were unsellable.

I think getting a third of the new price is pretty normal, better than that nice!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225Gear list
Like?
In reply to SunnyFlorida, 10 months ago

SunnyFlorida wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

tex wrote:

ahhh, hurling insults at educated consumers... SNIP and ZIP

If your post had been written by anyone else, I would take the to respond.

However, given your reputation here on the Nikon 1 System Talk forum, I choose not to.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550
Like?
In reply to SunnyFlorida, 10 months ago

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

tex wrote:

ahhh, hurling insults at educated consumers who did their comparison shopping and did not pay the inflated price , I guess the professional DPreview writers are also ignorant since they stated in their review

" it's impossible to ignore the fact that at street prices of around $600 and $800, respectively the J1 and V1 are entry-level mirrorless cameras that cost significantly more than several higher-end alternatives."

The fact is Nikon had no idea how to market the V1 or who to market the V1 to.

OK so then Nikon are the ignorant ones, not the consumers,

bought the V1 at full price. To this day there isn't another MILC at any price that can match the performance of the 1 series.

For most people (ignorant users as you call them)The AF focus speed of most mirrorless cameras is just perfect, they don;t need that extra .05 seconds of speed and the AF performance of the 1 series isn't sufficient to overcome its other shortcomings; to quote the "ignorant" reviewers here at DPreview:

" If you want to shoot moving subjects in good light with a small (ish) camera then the J1 and V1 really are the only game in town, at least as far as mirrorless models are concerned. If this sort of photography is not a priority for you, then given the strength of the competition it is very hard to recommend that you go out and buy either of these cameras."

Full review link here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonv1j1/19

For someone who does value excellent autofocus in a small camera there are no other options available. For those people the Nikon 1 series has always been good value. The V2 at full price remains good value because there are no other cameras of a similar size that can match its performance.

Nikon has damaged the general perception of value of their 1 system by discounting the V1 so heavily when they should have been marketing it based on its performance and letting its price tail off gracefully. Its actual value to users who want dSLR speed in a compact and lightweight body is higher than any other mirrorless system or dSLR.

If I were to look at a £100,000 Ferrari I would say it was hopelessly overpriced. I don't need its speed and it has a small boot. If Ferrari were to reduce its price to £15,000 to appeal more to drivers like me and sell more cars I might be tempted to buy one, but it would confirm to me that the original asking price was too high....
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

D Lynch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,681Gear list
Like?
Things change
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, 10 months ago

In the old days I never regretted buying Pro quality.

Now the next camera out, even a budget one, produces better quality images.

Result? Every time I look I consider changing brands!

I used Nikon Pro cameras in my business.  F2's with motor drive, F3's with motor drives. Pro glass

The glass regularly more or less kept value.

Now digital cameras don't.

That's life.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Nikon D300S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Seedeich
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
The more I us it, the more I value it

It might sound paradoxical - but the more I use my V1, the more I value it.

I don’t care about trade value. What I care about is, what a camera enables me to do as a photographer. In that regard the V1 has been one of the best investments ever.

Photo Pete
Like?
Why do so many people on this forum....

..... spell lose incorrectly?
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Jerry R
Like?
Sorry Pete, I was doing something else that involved "loose" at the same time.
In reply to Photo Pete, 10 months ago
-- hide signature --

Jerry R
Like?
The V1 & Sigma 150mm lens has become my first choice for flower photography.

The V1 & Sigma 150mm lens has become my first choice for flower photography. It, in my "un-informed" opinion was worth the introductory price.

V1 & Sigma 150mm lens

-- hide signature --

Photo Pete
Like?
Re: Sorry Pete, I was doing something else that involved "loose" at the same time.
-- hide signature --

Ah! I thought it was probably just a slip of the keyboard!

It's one of those misspellings that, when you notice it, seems to happen more and more frequently. Look out for it on DPReview and other internet sites... it's really common!

Phew! It's stressful trying to write a post without making a spelling mistake myself!
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?

The Canon EOS M mirrorless camera has also lost almost 2/3 its value in a few short months.

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
madecov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?

I own the D7000, as a small back up travel camera I purchased the P7100

I hated the P7100, the shutter lag was just horrible. When the V1 went on fire sale I sold my P7100 for close to what I paid and purchased the V1. I love the camera as a back up or small light travel system. The images are better than any Coolpix.

My son wanted to upgrade from point and shoots to something better and I told him to purchase a V1 while they were still available (he has no real interest in photography). It fit his budget and he is very pleased with it.

I consider myself lucky to have gotten the V1 at the reduced fire sale prices. I will not buy new anymore since ALL the manufacturers now have a habit of dropping prices on models when they are being replaced.

-- hide signature --

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/madecov/Steyrpolice2.jpg
In god we trust, all others are suspects
www.md-lightsource.com
Licensed firearms dealer in Houston, Texas

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads